Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-26-2013, 01:37 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Large background stamps?

Just wondering how many people actually still use these? I used to have quite a few of them but sold them (along with everything else) a few years ago.

I'm getting back into stamping again. And I have realized that I only want to do Christmas cards. I bought a few sets along with 4 of those big background stamps at a yard sale last year. While starting to clean out my craft area the other day I was asking myself if I was actually going to use them? They are all from SU and I know I have the French Script, a Musical Note and I can't remember the other two.

With the popluarity of the embossing folders, it doesn't seem as though I see as many cards using the background stamps. I do have the Big Shot with about 30 embossing folders and love to use them for some texture/dimension on my cards.

Long story short (well, not really lol) I'm in the process of cleaning out my craft area and will be selling off what I don't use/want anymore. I'm just wondering if I'll regret getting rid of them. Would you get rid of them?

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 01:42 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I like them. The only reason I don't use mine more is because they're in the bottom drawer which has lost its handle. I have to remove the one above it, push out the drawer, and voila.

That said, I actually have it on my list to do this weekend: Make my own background paper using my background stamps and other stamps--just because I can.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 01:43 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,050 Likes on 810 Posts

Me, me!!! I love them. I wouldn't get rid of them at all. In fact, I just bought about 5 new ones in my after-Christmas shopping. But if you're getting rid of yours and you're prepared to ship internationally let me know ;-).
I think there's so much you can do with them using various techniques. My sketch card for Wednesday was almost entirely a background stamp. And my grunge Eiffel Tower from a recent challenge, which made it onto the Facebook page used a background distress stamp. I used Medallion as a backgrounder (and En Francais) for last week's Inspiration challenge. I use them at least a couple of times a week, so my vote is keep them. Especially script and music - they're always fabulous for backgrounds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 02:02 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

Oh, no! Don't get rid of them - or at least not all of them. Sometimes a dry embossed background just won't give the effect you want and a background stamp will do it perfectly. Take the new SU! Swallowtail stamp and pair it with En Francais. Beautiful!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 03:24 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have quite a few, and they are so useful! like the other posters say- you can make up your own background sheets, either from scratch, sponging or whatever colour to it, or overstamping already printed papers. Especially script/music/texture ones. Definite keepers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 03:41 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the idea of keeping a couple, particularly a script and a music background. They can come in quite handy in ways that dry embossing do not. I love the little bit of interest they can add even stamping in water on an inked piece of paper. Or in versamark when you want something subtle. I say, if you have the space, keep them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 05:25 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't use mine as much since I've started using embossing folders; but, if you have the room, keep them. You may decide one day you like the look.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 05:26 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love layering them, using them to kiss other stamps and just adding a little texture to things without adding bulk. My most used are: Canvas, Weathered, Script and Medallion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 05:34 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

While background stamps and embossing folders are kinda similar, I don't find one can substitute for another. I love my background stamps and use them more often than folders. I like that you can stamp a background, then stamp on top. I like them both, but think the stamps are more versatile. If you are just doing Christmas cards, keep the background stamps that are appropriate (I think a French script goes with everything!) and get rid of the rest. I have unmounted about half my BGs so they don't take up as much room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 05:38 AM   #10  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I would put them on your workspace for the next month or less. Everytime you craft, try to use them, if you find that you can't or don't want to, then they go!!

If you aren't using something it is time to get rid of it and put those funds towards something you will use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 05:52 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Large BG stamps are my passion! I don't own or use any DP at all, I make all my own. I love to just spend time in my studio, playing around with different layers. I've started keeping a file card file with samples of ones I've done that I like (I just glue a leftover scrap to the file card, with the details of how I did it on the back).

I struggled with using them effectively, though, until I bought my Mega Mount. That hunk of acrylic changed my life!

I've always got some stuff in my cart over at Impression Obsession, waiting for funds to come available.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 07:12 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

The script and music BG stamps especially will be great for Christmas cards! Play with all four before you give them up. You only have four so give them some ink and see what happens! RachelRose's idea of not buying DP and making her own DP is smart and inexpensive! I'll have to keep that idea in mind because you can match the background color to whatever you are making.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Go over to the Impression Obsession website, click on the link to the Gallery, it's the blue square next to the Mega Mount video, and it will load a slideshow of something like 47 examples of how to combine and layer the Cover A Card BG stamps. Even if you don't own many, or any, it will give you lots of inspiration. Here's the page to go to:

Impression Obsession Rubber Stamps: Cover-a-Card Stamps & Mega Mount

Of course, you can always do the surefire technique of emboss resist - ink up your BG with Versamark, emboss in clear, then go over it with Distress Inks. You can't not get a great BG doing that. Iron off the EP if you want, or leave it. Or emboss in white or a color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

I'm kind of on the fence about BG stamps. I would definately keep French Script and Musical Note, as has been mentioned. I use my Script quite a bit as there is nothing quite like it. I also use French Flair a little but the rest... I am keeping them because I dont want to regret getting rid of them.. I have let a few sets go that I now wish I still had.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I would Never Ever get rid of my background stamps.

I enjoy them to much. I am even ordering the new poppy background stamp on my sale a bration order from Stampin up soon!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
I like the idea of keeping a couple, particularly a script and a music background. They can come in quite handy in ways that dry embossing do not. I love the little bit of interest they can add even stamping in water on an inked piece of paper. Or in versamark when you want something subtle. I say, if you have the space, keep them.
I agree!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Go into GOOGLE IMAGE....type in the name of each stamp, and do a search. it brings up pictures of each stamp used in a card. it is so cool. It will give you some great ideas. KEEP THEM!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Ah, Google Image. I only discovered it recently and now I can't live without it. It has it's very own bookmark right on my bookmarks bar.

I have been doing searches for my stamp sets and my Nesties, but haven't done it for my BG stamps. Duh. Thanks, Karen!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

I still use my background stamps and wouldnt get rid of them for anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am addicted to background stamps. I love them... plus you don't have to use them just for backgrounds. I will stamp a 4.25x5 inch piece of paper when I need something that I may not have in patterned papers. Not only would I never get rid of mine but I am always on the hunt for more!

Hero Arts has some gorgeous background stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 585 Likes on 240 Posts

Large background stamps were some of my first SU! purchases many years ago. I still buy them and use them. When you look at the gallery or a stamping magazine, way more cards feature DSP and/or embossing folders for backgrounds than stamps. But, with stamps you can create your own designer paper and have total control over the colors.
I have a stack of background stamps that I would never sell.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I love my background stamps! Once I got the hang of stamping them (turning them face-up and placing the paper on top), I amassed quite a collection. I especially like the Hero Arts and Impression Obsession ones. My favorite techniques to use with them are clear embossing and embossed resist.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

I also love my bg stamps! I have one that looks like concrete & it's my very favorite! A stamp line that isn't mentioned here much has some outstanding bg stamps. It's LOCAL KING RUBBER STAMP.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I also love my background stamps. I have unmounted all of my background stamps, so eight of them fit in one SU! clamshell (plastic container that wood-mounted sets come in).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #25  
Glitter Guru

I didn't know about Local King, Paula. Now I do. They have some very interesting things.

Not that I need to buy any more very interesting things.

Not that this has ever stopped me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #26  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I love my background stamps and unmounted the wooden ones. I use them now with the clear rock and roll acrylic block for a great image each time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #27  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I never thought about stamping them to use them as layers for smaller pieces of papers!!! There are such great ideas on here! I am gonna pull my out and try using them again!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula in GAView Post
I also love my bg stamps! I have one that looks like concrete & it's my very favorite! A stamp line that isn't mentioned here much has some outstanding bg stamps. It's LOCAL KING RUBBER STAMP.
Those were COOL! Loved the stone brick, timberline and shattered glass.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have about 5 or 6, including French Script, which has probably gotten the most use of them all through the years. I have a bunch of embossing folders too. But I don't necessarily use either one when I sit down to craft unless I have a specific idea to use them - does that make sense? I have had to put my punches out so I will use them more because I see them. Evidently I need the visual reminder.
That being said, I wouldn't get rid of them for now - see what you use in the next year and then see what sat around, and maybe trim those out of your collection.
SU just came out with an awesome new ink pad - Illuminations, I think it's called - it's like a better version of Versamark, which might make using those background stamps a little more interesting.
Just my $.02 ...

My avatar is my beloved corgi, Cora
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula in GAView Post
I had to look ... I love lots of their background stamps. I do NOT need another place to shop, lol !!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2013, 01:33 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

OP here.
Thanks for all of your responses. Looks like the majority of you would keep the background stamps. I also found out about using Google images last year to get ideas on certain stamp sets but have never thought of using it for the background stamps. :rolleyes: Great idea.

I'm hoping to get into my craft area later today when I get back from grocery shopping. I really need to go through my stuff but after hearing from everyone, it looks like I'll keep my back ground stamps. Atleast the French Script & Musical one. I'm trying to think what the other two are...I think one is the Houndstooth, maybe? Can that be incorporated into a Christmas card?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2013, 04:02 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
I also love my background stamps. I have unmounted all of my background stamps, so eight of them fit in one SU! clamshell (plastic container that wood-mounted sets come in).
That is what I did with mine. Right down to the bar rubber! I usually put the paper on top of the stamp so it works for me, but I can also use double sided tape if I need to use it like a regular stamp. Takes up so much less space!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2013, 04:05 AM   #33  
Simon Says Stamp

I use them all the time. I love embossing folders too but there are so many pretty backgrounds now. I tend to do tone on tone backgrounds (sometimes with ink colors on colored notecards and sometimes just clear embossing the image). Can be really subtle but so interesting.

I'm with NY Stamper -- I usually put the stamp down image side up, ink it down and put the paper on top (and rub).

If you're looking for good brands... Impression Obsession has really big ones that I find myself reaching to because they fit a whole card. Also love Hero Arts and Basic Grey.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2013, 04:57 AM   #34  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

I am also a fan of background stamps and I have lots from a variety of different companies.

I love using them for stamping and I can also use the RUBBER background stamps with (polymer) clay, UTEE, to add texture when monoprinting, and encaustics (wax).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2013, 05:18 AM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

I LOVE background stamps! One of the best uses is to clear emboss on a DSP that I don't like that much then rub a dark ink over that so it cuts down the amount of ugly DSP I can see!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by meeyore151View Post
I LOVE background stamps! One of the best uses is to clear emboss on a DSP that I don't like that much then rub a dark ink over that so it cuts down the amount of ugly DSP I can see!
That's a great idea! Just when I was about to ditch unwanted/unused/had to have DP.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Op here. I just got upstairs from my craft room and the other two that I have is Houndstooth and Stipple Plaid. I'm sure they could fit into a Christmas somehow, so I think I'm going to keep them. Thanks!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #38  
Glitter Guru

Great basic collection. Depending on the colors you use with them, there's no limit to what you can do.

Don't forget that BG stamps and EFs can be effective when used together! Here's a card I recently did (I actually did two versions) using IO's Crisscross and then the Petal A Plenty EF.

Crisscross Daisy Notecard

The card would have looked fine with either just the BG stamping or just the embossing, but when combined, it's a whole other look.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Great basic collection. Depending on the colors you use with them, there's no limit to what you can do.

Don't forget that BG stamps and EFs can be effective when used together! Here's a card I recently did (I actually did two versions) using IO's Crisscross and then the Petal A Plenty EF.

Crisscross Daisy Notecard

The card would have looked fine with either just the BG stamping or just the embossing, but when combined, it's a whole other look.
Oh see...now that's pretty cool. I can never think out of the box. It's like I have tunnel vision or something. I would have never thought of using both the background stamp AND an embossing folder but that creates an awesome look. Thanks for sharing.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #40  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Large BG stamps are my passion! I don't own or use any DP at all, I make all my own. I love to just spend time in my studio, playing around with different layers.

I struggled with using them effectively, though, until I bought my Mega Mount. That hunk of acrylic changed my life!
Excuse me for asking about your Mega mount? How thick is the acrylic? I see it is a little curved which makes it really handy for stamping the whole image especially the center. I'm a little on the short side so I always have to stand up to stamp with the BG stamps... kinda strenuous after awhile.

I think I will go and visit the glass store and see if I can get one cut like that size. good idea. should be cheap! I know they would trim the corners for me too.
What ever makes it easier to use them! Thanks for the idea..
:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes