Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Printer Purchase Input PLZ

I'm looking to update my printer. Wanting to get a wireless. I also just got a new laptop and I'm embarking on a new obsession...Digital Scrapbooking. So I'm sure I will be printing out some of my layouts. Would just like to get some professional...hands on advice from some of the best ladies out there.
TIA

Leesha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #2  
Glitter Queen

I've looked at both. Was leaning towards Canon, just because it seems like their ratings were higher.
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a Canon MP560 and its been working great. Its wireless, individual ink tanks, printer/scanner/photocopier, has a card reader, and can connect my camera directly to it. It also has a rear feed tray so I can run heavy cardstock through (I use 200# for boxes that I print patterned paper designs on first). The Canon inks are rated to last for over 100 years and are water resistant. I, however, use off brand inks and haven't had any probems with them. It was simple to set up and has been running for about 2 years now without any real issues.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #4  
Glitter Queen

Sounds like one I need to check into. Thanks! Does it by chance print 12x12?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

Canon's wide format printers can run into $$$. We really needed a new printer and I had to give up that dream of 12x12 printing. Last weekend, we got a 6520, recommended by Apple, and I love it!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

a general recommendation is if you can, take paper to the printer store and see how it prints on your cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

you might find this helpful

Best Inkjet Printers for 12x12 Digital Scrapbooking
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine doesn't print 12x12 (I wish it did), but I have seen some lower end wide format printers around the $300 - $400 price. I'm not sure how well they work - although your finished product would really depend on the quality of inks you can get for it which shouldn't be a problem. The real expense for wide format printers is paper if you plan on using the large size photo papers. Its about $3-$4 a sheet. If you are printing on regular cardstock, it would be inexpensive, but you don't get a nice vibrant print on regular cardstock - at least not that I have seen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the EPSON Artisan 835 printer that we purchased almost 3 yrs ago. It is wireless and works great. I don't print a lot of scrapbooking or card projects, because it is an inkjet printer which can consume A LOT of ink. Also, if you incidentally spill water on your print job, the ink bleeds, so I'm careful of what I print.

I have printed birthday invites, thank you notes using the printer. I do love this printer and it is designed to be a card/scrapbooking workhorse of a printer, but my personal economy is so tight that I can't afford to burn through too much ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #10  
Glitter Queen

Default Thanks

Thanks so much for all the comments and the link. I will sure be checking into each one. I'm not going to rush into a purchase. Just want to be completely happy.
Leesha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a Canon too. Love the individual ink tanks and the rear feed for cardstock. If I was going to print out the 12x12 digi layouts, I would save the cost of the ink and get them printed via costco or another printer (especially if you watch for sales). Or get them printed together in a shutterfly book. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

i just went through this myself - we decided it would be a better deal to print any larger stuff via costco or something and so we did not get a wide format. we got the epson artisan 837 and it prints really well - i print all my photos myself and really love the way they turn out. i also love the individual ink color cartridges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

One thing to really consider is if the trays are stationary or if they have to be removed to change or replace paper. This is a nuisance, especially with a wide format printer.

I had a HP All-in-one G85 printer, scanner, copier, fax for years. It's a good thing I had an extended warranty as the on/off button stopped working (shortly after replacing the ink cartridges!). It was replaced with a refurbished unit. It had stationary trays. I used to manually feed in paper when doing doubled-sided printing, and frequently it would get creative in getting an edge caught and printing sentences over and over each other.

As I said, it worked for many years. All of a sudden, it made a horrendous screeching sound while the cartridges were in use. Apparently, it managed to cause a crack in the black ink cartridge and leaked some out onto my desk and covered the printing access (it would turn on but not print).

So I replaced it with a Epson WF-7510 wide format all-in-one. So far, for my needs (card-making, not photo printing), it works fine. B U T, that removable tray is a big nuisance (especially being over-sized) when printing double-sided sheets of paper and when adding labels for printing. I had done my research into wide format all-in-one printers, but no comments were ever made regarding the tray.

If you can get up close and personal with your choice, do so! See if there are any cons associated with it and if you can live with those...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #14  
Glitter Queen

I just yesterday got an email from a Cardmaking Magazine blog. They are doing a three
part blog on an Epson Printer that they are testing for papercrafters. They just did part one so far. They have used it for a month and tested different functions and what it does and reporting on each.

It can do so many things from the touch screen alone without a computer. I am anxious to see the other two articles. Im fed up with my HP and the sensor they have on their ink cartridges. I bought a brand new color ink cartridge and got 20 pages out of it, thats it. The software stops you from using it because of the some chip on the ink cartridge, that was it, Im done. Sorry Im not more computer savy to give you the exact name of the Magazine but with so many ways for computer savy people to find things maybe someone else received it and can post where the product blog can be read.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

The one thing I disliked about the HP printer was it would continue to print even when there was little or no ink. I just had to replace the Epson black ink cartridge and before it got low enough to change the color of the print out (meaning fading color due to ink loss) it just stopped printing... right in the middle of several pages. I always keep back ups for replacements, so this wasn't a problem. I honestly couldn't tell any difference between the last of the old cartridge print and the fresh new one. There may have been a page or two more ink available, but I didn't have to reprint pages due to look of clarity. The access to the ink levels is much easier to navigate with the Epson, too. I'm really more and more impressed with the Epson, just not its removable tray.
Reply With Quote Likes