Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Cricut Craft Room

This is directed to those who are comfortable using CCR. I just downloaded it and would like to get familiar with the program----even though I am not home and anywhere near my Cricut. I'm 'Old School' and really wanting a handy little paper manual to guide me through this. Just clicking on "Help" is not very useful. I never had Design Studio or a Gypsy; so this is rather intimidating.

1-How did you get familiar with the program? Just trial and error, or watching certain videos besides the Provocraft ones, reading tutorials online (Where are they?), or what? Am I better off just waiting until I am near my Cricut and can put attempts into practice? Has the Provocraft online forum been helpful? Or is there some other support group?

2-I don't have any convenient location for my laptop near my Cricut Expression; so connecting a USB just isn't going to be very practical. I'm wondering how helpful CCR will be if just used for planning layouts and sizes of cuts. Do wish the Expression had wireless capability.....

3-Are there lots of flaws in the program? My latest cartridge is December 24th, but I couldn't find it in the list of cartridges. The Heritage cartridge has an antique bicycle, but if I search for "bike" or "bicycle" that image does not come up.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 12:23 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

01. I did the trial and error method. If I was just completely stuck then I would Google my problem. For example- Cricut Craft Room- Cricut Imagine fill image with a pattern. I just mainly clicked on all the buttons. You Tube has some good videos too.

I can't recommend any good tutorials or sites for CCR. I am sorry. :( You really don't need to be near your Cricut to use CCR. I hardly use CCR to cut with my Cricut. I transfer my designs to my Gypsy.

I use to say the old Cricut MB was a big help. I went over there tonight and nothing has changed at all. I always loved reading the Christmas threads over at the MB. I loved reading all the goodies the girls got for the holidays. Tonight there was a thread that turned into a huge abortion argument. Another one of those threads trying to stir up trouble. CCR forum was completely dead just people needing troubleshooting help. I haven't been on the forum for a long time and I won't be going back, lol. I need to start a forum for us girls who love and want to use our machines. I am a pretty good forum moderator. I have ran two with great success.

02. I think the E2 have wireless capability. Several years ago on the old Cricut MB several of us girls were talking about a wireless Cricut. Then a few went out and did it. For the life of me I can't remember how. My DH explained it. I can't remember the process off the top of my head.

I do use CCR to plan my cuts and size them. I use CCR to look up designs. I transfer everything to my Gypsy.

03. Does CCR has flaws? ! Well, it is ProvoCraft, ROFL! I am teasing. ;) Yes, CCR does still have a few bugs. I do think it's a lot more stable than six months ago. Apparently, PC hired a new IT team. I have a friend that works for PC and she told me that.

I look for December 24th for you. I even peeked in the store. I did find TC's December 25th. That one is listed under Seasonal cartridges in CCR. Is it this one- Cricut� Teresa Collins - December 25th Seasonal Cartridge - Cricut Shop

I love Heritage. I love that bike. It's one of my favorite images. I did the search like you. Nothing came up for Heritage. I did find that exact bike under the Summer Bliss Seasonal cartridge with the keyword bike. I found it under the Ultimate Creative Sampler for bicycle.

My thinking is that the bike is one of PC's repeat images they put on their cartridges so they put it under the latest cartridge in the library. Would be nice if they put all the cartridges the bike is on but I guess PC doesn't want us to think we don't know they put the same images on different cartridges.

I hope that helps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 08:36 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

Thank you for your in-depth help, DeeAnn! I read so little commentary on CCR (and I subscribe to the Cricut thread) that I wondered if using it was a waste of time. So much was being written after the Gypsy came out that the silence on CCR just didn't seem right. I had read of problems with people using it with the E2, but I have the original Expression. It got me wondering if crafters had just dismissed CCR as having little value.

Sorry, I realized it should have been December 25th (not 24th) after I posted, but I couldn't figure out how to take it back for editing.

I think I watched the wrong YouTube videos. They were using a beta version of CCR with a different layout, which made it hard to figure out what to do.

I haven't used my Cricut too often in the past, and when I did there was usually a lot of trial and error with the size of the cuts; so if I learn CCR enough to overcome that problem I will be very happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Hello SCS! I need help! My husband just gifted me with a Cricut Mini...and I told him I didn't like it, boo! :'( Truth is, I do not know what Cricut Mini is, never heard of it! So, I have been googling it with unsatisfying results; I need pros and cons of this machine or a real good sales pitch that would make me want this accessory. I am mostly a card stamper with some die cuts, embossing, etc. (big shot). I am not the type of cardmaker to use only die cuts on a card, even though I am not talented with my hands to do any sort of free hand drawing other than stick figures. Are there sites that would help me to understand the function and capability of the mini, as well as the cartridges that are available, and any other accessories/tools? it came with a 7 pc tool kit - knife, hook, scoop, bone folder, ruler, scraper, and scissors, which I DO like!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2013, 01:00 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I don't own a mini. :( I won't be much of a help. I do know the mini has some great free images on it. I would just set that baby up and start playing with the images and CCR. I have seen the mini in action. She does cut wonderfully. The Mini cuts felt and leather so pretty. PC is releasing images off their cartridges as single purchases for only 99 cents. I can't really give any cons since I haven't worked with the mini. I usually do cons for the die cut machines too over here.

A few of the cartridges are good replacements for your metal die cuts if you only use those metal die cuts for paper. That will free up some room for new stamps.

Blogs and YouTube are probably your best bets for the Cricut mini to get your better tutorials.

Your good to go with your 7 pc tool kit. That has you pretty much covered. Watch some videos on you tube how to resticky your Cricut mat. There are several ways to do it. Most of us die cut users have our favorite ways of resticking our mats but they always differ, lol. Oh, I almost forgot the tool kit does not have the spatula. You need the spatula to lift your die cuts off the mat. This is just one of the most important tools in a die cutters arsenal. You don't need the Cricut spatula. I like art palette knives.

My best advice is just play with the mini using the free images it came with. That will give you a good feel if this is a tool you want in your stamp toolbox. Hope that helps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2013, 03:01 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyRoseStamperView Post
This is directed to those who are comfortable using CCR. I just downloaded it and would like to get familiar with the program----even though I am not home and anywhere near my Cricut. I'm 'Old School' and really wanting a handy little paper manual to guide me through this. Just clicking on "Help" is not very useful. I never had Design Studio or a Gypsy; so this is rather intimidating.
---------------
Hi GypsyRoseStamper, I am an avid user of CCR. It is my preferred tool when crafting. Mostly because of the large screen. As with any software program, the first few times can be intimidating but it really is very simple to use. There are a ton, yes a ton, of video's you can watch on YouTube to learn how to use the craft room. Of course, if you used DS or had a G you would understand how to use CCR quicker but those products are not required.

1-How did you get familiar with the program?
As mentioned above, I watched YouTube Videos, Provocraft vid's are okay but there are few others I'd highly recommend...I'll need to research and get back to you on this information.

Am I better off just waiting until I am near my Cricut and can put attempts into practice? Not sure I understand this statement

Has the Provocraft online forum been helpful? YES, many of the members have websites with vid's. 2-

I don't have any convenient location for my laptop near my Cricut Expression; so connecting a USB just isn't going to be very practical.
Hmmm this is a problem you can't use CCR unless you have your Expression linked to a laptop or desktop computer so I'm thinking all your concerns are a moot point.

I'm wondering how helpful CCR will be if just used for planning layouts and sizes of cuts. If you ever have a chance to use it, it is extremely helpful for planning layouts etc. Anything you can do on your Expression can be handled using CCR. IMHO it really, really is a wonderful crafting tool.

Do wish the Expression had wireless capability..... Only the E2 does. I had the E2 and returned it just didn't like it but that's just me.

3-Are there lots of flaws in the program? No, it is always being updated.

My latest cartridge is December 24th, but I couldn't find it in the list of cartridges. The Heritage cartridge has an antique bicycle, but if I search for "bike" or "bicycle" that image does not come up.
You should really view some of the vids & many of your questions will be answered. There is a specific way to obtain a cartridge for use in CCR... to much info to place here.

HTH and good luck with CCR.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2013, 03:08 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

DeeAnn, thank you so much for the tips AND encouragement! That is what I will do, jump in and play around with it. I do like that I can buy single images, that is very appealing to me! I have been looking on Amazon at the cartridges and feeling like I wouldn't want whole sets, so thank you for that nugget of info.

The bits of info you elaborated on are helpful, I hadn't realized the mat has a sticky surface that will require resurfacing from time to time. I guess I am feeling frustrated at the lack of info for the Cricut. within the product itself. YouTube is a fav place I go for tutorials, and I will search out some blogs as well.

Thanks again, DeeAnn for your informative response, you have been very helpful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

I TOTALLY do not like the craft room and NOT doing digital at all. I want to touch my cricut, have overlays and design on my gypsy.....not on my computer. If for some stupid reason Provocraft stops making carts, I am shipping them my cricut! .....and I love my cricut!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I actually prefer Cricut Craft Room over the Gypsy. I can see everything much better. The Gypsy is just too small for my old eyes. I can quickly do an image search, then color my layers, save my files then plug in my machine and cut.

If for some reason I don't use CCR then I still prefer the handbook and cartridge stand alone method. Gypsy is my last choice, but again that's only because of the size of the screen.

I'd love to see PC come out with a new Gypsy that has a bigger screen, color capability and wifi connectivity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2013, 11:51 PM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Default Not a fan of CCR or Provocraft in general

I am an "off the Provocraft Reservation" cutter and use an old version of SCAL to do most of my cuts. When my Expression dies, I'll buy a different cutter as CCR will AUTOMATICALLY update my firmware on the machine, making my LEGALLY PURCHASED cutting software useless.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I sure do miss the OLD Criciut Message boards---don't see many on the new one-just isn't the same..plus looks like alot are now going to the Silhoutte! Sad-with all the $$ I have invested... But I do LOVE my Gypsy. I have tried CCR-and probably with some practice it will be ok-except..... since I have most carts loaded on my G-I can't load them on CCR-grrrrr!!!! Sooo what's the point!!??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2013, 03:26 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherry107View Post
I sure do miss the OLD Criciut Message boards---don't see many on the new one-just isn't the same..plus looks like alot are now going to the Silhoutte! Sad-with all the $$ I have invested... But I do LOVE my Gypsy. I have tried CCR-and probably with some practice it will be ok-except..... since I have most carts loaded on my G-I can't load them on CCR-grrrrr!!!! Sooo what's the point!!??
I miss the old board too. :( I won't go over to the new board. I still have friends over there who I talk to almost daily.

I went through a lot last year in my personal life but I was also at that time trying to downsize my cutters. I have a lot of cutters. I test, rebuild and modify out various die cutters. This year I have one cutter on my desk. I have the Cricut. She's my little workhorse. I always trust her. I am using it with MTC. I have got it to work with MTC & CCR. My DH rebuilt my Cricut to cut more precise. I do have a modded out machine. I did nothing to the software though. The older Cricut's were built as a mid-level Roland machine so they are easier to modify. A lot of geeks were buying Cricut's just to do that. The newer Cricut's I don't even want to bother to modify it.

The new Silhouette I really thought it was a nice machine when it came out. I loved my old Silhouette machines. I have completely fallen out of love with the new Silhouette. I wish I had my old machines back. Cameo is not the machine for me. I always hate to say bad things about the Cameo because I know how many love the machine. My complaints are due to geekness and not crafting.

The Gypsy (GRRRRRRR) The one crafting item I do regret buying. It is great but the unlinking cartridge thing has me seeing red. I never would have bought it if I couldn't unlink my cartridges. When I asked when we could unlink our cartridges one of the old Admin's actually gave me a date for unlinking. That was my first mistake to believe an Admin and not somebody from IT. I am lucky my DH was able to mod out my Gypsy too, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes