Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Default White & metallic dye inks

So I finally splurged and got Memento ink pads in all the basic colors. It's so much more user-friendly than colorbox cat eyes! There were just three that memento doesnt have and im having a hard time finding it in dye ink: white, gold and silver. I'd prefer dye ink, to match the mementos. anyone know of dye ink pads available in those colors? thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

By their very nature, metallics need to have tiny reflective particles in them so they won't be dye inks. Similiarly, an opaque white needs to cover up the colour underneath it and you can't stain something white (dye inks are basically working by staining your paper) so I think you're looking for something that can't exist. The closest you'll get with white are hybrid inks (the chalk inks, for example) but they tend not to give such good coverage.

Brilliance inks (by Tsukineko) are metallics that give good coverage and they're easy to clean off your stamps - there's a gold and a silver and the Moonlight White is soft and pretty. The newer Delicata inks are popular and look pretty on the project photos I've seen but I haven't tried those yet.

HTH!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2013, 02:20 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with Joanne. White and metaliics only come as pigments, not as dyes. I am almost exclusively a dye ink stamper. Do you like the dye inks more for their stamping capabilities or because of the techniques you can do with them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

thank you for the explanation! i knew there had to be a reason i was having such a hard time finding them!
honestly, i needed to upgrade to something a bit bigger than the cat eyes, i wanted something that actually stayed closed on its own, the mementos seem to be loved by almost every single crafter in the virtual universe & its super-speedy drying is really great for my patience-deficient character (as is, not the improved version that will take me a lifetime to create). i want all my stamp pads to be dye inks just so that they match in their properties but its not a must.
i found stewart superior gold, silver & white dye inks. can anyone tell me what they're like, if they're worth spending the money on or if i should just find a good pigment ink? thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

The Stewart Superior Palette inks (including the white, gold and silver) are not dye inks - they're hybrid inks which means they have characteristics of both dye and pigment inks. I have no experience of them at all, I'm afraid - maybe somebody else can wade in for you.

They do have links to some reviews of their hybrid inks from some well know crafters (people like JulieHRR and JuliaS here on Splitcoast and the folks at Craft Critique) - the links are on this page. Not sure if any of them reviews the metallics or just the coloured inks but probably worth a look.

HTH!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Stewart Superior makes a Memories white dye inkpad for Sweet Stamps. It's made for parchment crafting, but it also looked really good on dark paper when it was demonstrated at a show I attended last year. So I bought the pad and a refill. I can't get it to look nearly as good as the woman doing the demo did. Here's the link:

White Dye Ink Pad for Parchment Crafting - SweetStamps.com - we're like a candy store for paper crafters!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Gold and Silver dye ink pads from Inkadinkado which I bought at Michael's. They give great coverage. They're not hybrid, just dye ink. You can clean your stamp with water, the rubber ones.

Perhaps they are no longer available.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I just read that they recommend heat setting these dye inks but I never have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

I love the Delicata Gold Glitz and it dries quickly on most card stock. I did have to heat set it on a heavy maroon card stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

that's a lot of useful info! thanks y'all!
im looking at stewarts dye inks, not pallette hybrid inks. anyone have hands-on (inky-finger) experience with them? Superior Memories Dye Inkpad Large Soft Gold Product Detail -- CreateForLess
scrapjanny, does the white work at all with you but in your memory the dt's image looked better? or you cant get it to work decently at all?
does inkadinkado have a white dye ink? or only gold & silver & the other handful of colors i found so far online?
thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by creativechbdcraftsView Post
that's a lot of useful info! thanks y'all!
im looking at stewarts dye inks, not pallette hybrid inks. anyone have hands-on (inky-finger) experience with them? Superior Memories Dye Inkpad Large Soft Gold Product Detail -- CreateForLess
scrapjanny, does the white work at all with you but in your memory the dt's image looked better? or you cant get it to work decently at all?
does inkadinkado have a white dye ink? or only gold & silver & the other handful of colors i found so far online?
thank you!
I haven't used the other inkpads, but the white dye pad turns out too light for what I want. When I saw it demo'ed at the show, it appeared to be much brighter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I don't think Inkadinkado makes a white ink pad. I've seen black, gold, silver, red and green. When I found the gold and silver pads, I did a double take. I didn't think gold and silver existed in dye ink as previously mentioned.
Good luck with your hunt.
Reply With Quote Likes