Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-17-2013, 07:16 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I'm just color blind

I have the darnedest time putting colors together. Even if I see the colors together (for instance red, white and blue), I get lost trying to figure out what the base of a card should be then the mats and accent colors. Can someone help me? I'm okay if I'm using DP, then I can pull colors from there. But to put colors together without a guide is frustrating.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

It can be challenging, especially if you have cardstock from a variety of manufactures. It makes it hard to match up. It is easier if you get ink and cardstock that already match. Since I can't afford that, I try to stamp my images with black ink and try to color to match as best I can. Does that help?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Do you have a color wheel? When I first started stamping and scrapbooking (over 11 years ago), I relied on a color wheel for almost everything. It showed me color combinations that I never would have thought of.

I also used to use the "Gallon, Quart, Pint" method. Your main color is your "Gallon," and it is the one you will use the most. Next is your "Quart," or a secondary color that you use a little bit less than your main color. Last is your "Pint," and you use that just a little bit.

I hope these help you as much as they have helped me over the years. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I think the combination of these two responses may be my answer. I do have a variety of paper from diff manufacturers, but never stopped to think about stamping in just black ink. That along with choosing colors from a color wheel and using the gallon, quart , pint method may just do the trick. The color wheel I have is from Bazzil and I just stare at it.....

Thanks ladies!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Scrapmaster's Paradise has a color combo generator that might be helpful.

Scrapmaster's Paradise: Color Combo Generator

Scrapitude used to offer one as well but it is my understanding that the creator could no longer afford to maintain it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobrylinView Post
I get lost trying to figure out what the base of a card should be then the mats and accent colors.
They should be whatever you like and whatever you think looks good. There's no rule on what should go where.

I find it easiest to start with the DSP and match cardstock from there. A good natural-light light (like an ott light, or other "daylight" lamp) is really helpful. But then in deciding, for example, which color to make the base, I will lay the patterned paper against each of SEVERAL cardstock colors to decide which I like best.

Sometimes you'll pick out a piece with a lot of blue and a little pink, and you put it against the blue and it's great because the blue is dark and classic. But then you put it against a pink and it's great, too, because it makes that pink really pop. But then you just have to decide what direction to go with the card. Neither's right or wrong, it's just how you feel about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Another color generator...this is on Ellen Barner's web page...EllenCreates - www.GratefulStampers.net - ELLEN's BLOG
This is one I like to use...
My Create Ink - SU Color Lab

You can put one color or two in there and hit search and it will show you lots of suggested color combinations. Sometimes there are colors you would never think to put together.

If you are totally color challenged, click on the "surprise me" button.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Here is one site I really like for colors: Design Seeds� | for all who

But it seems like finding color combos is not so much your concern, but how to use them. I never really gave much thought to this but I guess I do kind of have a method.

Usually when I'm using at least two colors, one is going to be darker than the other and I'll choose the darker one for the card base. The darker shade is "heavier" and if I used the darker color for matting, and the lighter color for a base it would kind of disappear, plus the darker color grounds everything. Then, I'll use a neutral (white, cream, etc.) for stamping the image/sentiments.

Of course, sometimes I'll pull colors from patterned paper. The base color may not match a color in the pattern but be a strong contrast, and the mat color would pick up on a more subtle color in the pattern.

For an example, if I wanted to use a deep blue, and a gold, and a cream color, I would use the deep blue as the base, and the gold for the mats. The pattern may have a lighter blue and yellow in it.

I do like strong contrasts and often rely on black, gray, brown to make other lighter colors 'pop.' You can also use neutrals as a narrow mat right behind the image/sentiment, then the coordinating color as a slightly wider mat behind that.

One thing that may be helpful is to visit the gallery here - find someone who uses color in a way you like and check out their uploads. Often people include links to their blogs here, too. Or go to your favorite stamp company's design team blogs or website or catalog ~ you'll find the cards appealing because you already like their products and it may be easier to relate to when you sit down to create your own. Discover a designer whose work appeals to you.

I often make my choices and then lay everything out to see how the colors look together - move things around and if it doesn't work, try a shade lighter or darker, or throw in a neutral in addition or instead of one that doesn't seem to be working.

HTH! Have fun experimenting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #9  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Thanks to everyone who posted tools. I am typically color-challenged. I have come up with some of the most hideous color combinations known to modern man or modern woman !

Thanks to the OP - great thread
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #10  
Inking Addict

I recommend using white, cream, brown, black, and sometimes gray for card bases. When it comes to matching colors, papers, embellishments, and etc. I usually try to pick a DP first and match the rest with it. When not using a DP (which I rarely do) try to match colors for Seasons, Holidays, or colors (that go together) from the color wheel. I hope some of this helps!

BTW: Using a DP is usually the best way to go! ;)

God Bless!
God Bless! Philippians 4:13
You can't spell Earth without "ART" well you can, but then it's just "EH. My (very small) Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2013, 04:24 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

These are ALL wonderful suggestions and links. Just wanted to let you all know that we have a cup of coffee together every morning (and sometimes two) reviewing the posts and galleries. I will keep in mind that its what I like, and it is art!
Reply With Quote Likes