Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about die cut problems

First of all, I need to disclose that I think I cannot make more than 2 cards without a die cut or dry embossing!
I have pretty much worn out my Cuttlebug, and got a Vagabond which has been very satisfactory. However, I tried to demolish it by picking up two "top" plates and attempting to run them through. I did manage to get them out and have used the Vagabond sparingly, but it does not sound very healthy.

That is background for my question. Over time, my CB B and C plates have warped a lot, and the Vagabond plates are beginning to be uneven. I do not use many CB dies, but some of my alphabet set are also very warped.
I am not sure how this happened - and have no idea which occurred first.

Probably because of the warped plates, the CB does a terrible job cutting certain dies - most noticeably Cheery Lynn and other more intricate ones.

I suspect I will be getting another new machine soon. Has any one else had problems with warping? How can I prevent this? How does your CB do with intricate dies?

Sorry this is so long - I would appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have a CBug or Vagabond, but I'll share what I've found with my BIg Shot - which should pretty much apply to the others.

The cutting plates do warp with use. I flip them over and around and switch top to bottom to make them last longer, but eventually you have to replace them. Just the nature of the beast. There's a lot of pressure placed on them as they run thru the machine.

As far as your warped CBug alpha dies - do you run them thru the machine cutting side up or cutting side down? I had one that warped a little when I ran it thru cutting side down; I started using them all cutting side up and the warped one straightened out and the others didn't warp. (So, your sandwich is cutting plate - die - paper - cutting plate. I have no idea why this would make a difference. Maybe the foam on the cutting side absorbs more of the pressure from the roller and keeps the metal part from curling? Anyway, the original instructions I had with one of those sets did say that they should be run thru the machine cutting-side-up. Maybe that was why.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2013, 03:07 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post

The cutting plates do warp with use. I flip them over and around and switch top to bottom to make them last longer, but eventually you have to replace them. Just the nature of the beast. There's a lot of pressure placed on them as they run thru the machine.

As far as your warped CBug alpha dies - do you run them thru the machine cutting side up or cutting side down? I had one that warped a little when I ran it thru cutting side down; I started using them all cutting side up and the warped one straightened out and the others didn't warp. (So, your sandwich is cutting plate - die - paper - cutting plate. I have no idea why this would make a difference. Maybe the foam on the cutting side absorbs more of the pressure from the roller and keeps the metal part from curling? Anyway, the original instructions I had with one of those sets did say that they should be run thru the machine cutting-side-up. Maybe that was why.
Thanks for the reminder. I am guilty of placing the foam side down most of the time - though I did read those instructions! It is mostly a bad habit that is hard to break.
I do switch the plates around frequently.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

My 'bug 'B' plates are badly warped, but still cut fine. Have you tried varying the position of the die-cut? I have seen that suggested quite often, along with regularly flipping the plates over. Also, maybe try adding a paper/thin cardstock shim to the mix with the intricate dies? They seem to be the ones most people have issues with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

You have gotten great advice already. If you could see my plates, you would be amazed!! They are scratch up!!!! BADLY...but still work perfectly. I did soda can snowflakes at Christmas time with two of my son's classes. Each kid cut out 2-4 metal snowflakes....now THAT was hard on those plates, but they still work perfectly!!! I have a spare set on the shelf but I will use these until there is NO MORE USE in them!!!! I am planning on smashing bottle caps in my big shot soon so I am sure there will be some more wear on them soon!!!!!

For the intricate dies, I have heard that there is a thin metal shim that you can get that helps with those. Also, another trick is to cover the die (one like the SU dollies die) with clear packing tape and it will still cut through the tape but the pieces don't stick in as bad. I haven't tried either of these things myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Another thing, if the intricate dies are sticking: lots of people on here have suggested cutting first with waxed paper, so it helps with the bits not sticking, also wiping them with a tumble drier sheet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by binkiemonstermomView Post
You have gotten great advice already. If you could see my plates, you would be amazed!! They are scratch up!!!! BADLY...but still work perfectly. I did soda can snowflakes at Christmas time with two of my son's classes. Each kid cut out 2-4 metal snowflakes....now THAT was hard on those plates, but they still work perfectly!!! I have a spare set on the shelf but I will use these until there is NO MORE USE in them!!!! I am planning on smashing bottle caps in my big shot soon so I am sure there will be some more wear on them soon!!!!!

For the intricate dies, I have heard that there is a thin metal shim that you can get that helps with those. Also, another trick is to cover the die (one like the SU dollies die) with clear packing tape and it will still cut through the tape but the pieces don't stick in as bad. I haven't tried either of these things myself.
The tape idea is worth a try. I think if I run the die through once, then place it on a different area of the plate - the die would cut through the second time in areas missed on the first pass. My problem has been to keep the die in place, even with a strip of tape to hold it. Covering the whole die would probably help.

I am with you on using the plates as long as possible. I have even used a half plate - a broken piece! I would rather spend my money on something new!

Thanks for all the discussion.

Reply With Quote Likes