Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-14-2013, 01:56 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone?

Does anyone print out sentiments to put inside there cards? If you do what size or how do you know where to print in word? I guess what I mean is I want to print out my sentiment in word on regular paper but not sure how to line it up so it prints right. Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2013, 03:38 AM   #2  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

I print my own sometimes....you can use a text box and format it to the size of your card insert...or you could format your page to be the size of your insert. As for the size of the text - I just play with it - it depends on what I'm saying or if I want to write something too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2013, 06:01 AM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 785 Likes on 321 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kandmwilsonView Post
Does anyone print out sentiments to put inside there cards? If you do what size or how do you know where to print in word? I guess what I mean is I want to print out my sentiment in word on regular paper but not sure how to line it up so it prints right. Does that make sense?

Thanks,
I format my Word document into two columns and use 14 point font most of the time. Then after printing, I just cut on the paper cutter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2013, 06:11 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I downloaded a program from Avery that has templates for cards. You pick the size you want and then just type what you want. I always send a practice paper through to be sure I've got it in the right spot. The size of the font depends on the amount of words and the person I'm sending it to. If it's an older person the words are bigger.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I am kind of lazy and tried formatting but my cards are all different sizes. Print your saying on typing paper. Hold the typing paper towards light, like a window or door. Use a temporary adhesive ( Dotto works well) and position the cardstock over the typing paper. Then feed the typing paper with the cardstock back through the printer. Most printers will handle it quite well. Hope this helps since it works for card labels and greetings too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sometimes, I print my insides too. I insert a table into word, two columns two row and then adjust it acccorind to it I am going landscape or portrait. You can make them the size of your insides. Then I set it not to print the gridlines. I use different fonts and size, depending on what I think will look best on the card. It works for me most of the time. But I am going to try the template from Avery, that sounds like a good idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

I've used business card size most of the time, but now and then use a quarter sheet size. What I use is the label formatting function in my word processing program. I have Word Perfect, but Word is pretty much like it (though I like WP much better). Once you access the label function I can pick out business cards, round, etc. & I don't have to mess around with measuring (which I hate doing). I buy a package of white & a package of ivory business cards & those colors work well on most of my cardstock. I print out a bunch of sayings (which I get from all over the web) and keep them handy. I play with all sizes and types of fonts & use whatever is readable. Now and then I like to use a funky font, but I seldom use one that's hard to read.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I have an awesome program that I bought from Lasting Impressions. It's called Colored Impressions and in the program it allows you to print out a text on a basic sizes of cards. You can also create your own sizes. All the fonts that are on your computer will load into the program when you install it. Love love love this program for designing. I am hoping that they come out with a newer version, because my Windows Seven doesn't allow it to display their images. They have matching images to their brass templates that you can print and then emboss. Have used this program for years now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always print out the sentiment inside my cards. I happen to use Illustrator because it allows me the most control over the way type looks. I just open a file and make a 4.25 X 5.5 inch box oriented whatever way I need, create my message, print on either plain 24 lb. bond or cardstock. Then I trim it out to 4 X 5.25 for a nice border.

I recently bought those Spellbinders Card Creators dies sets in both the A and B rectangles, and that will make it even easier. I'll just center the die over the message and run it through my Big Shot. No more fussing with my trimmer.

There's rarely a sentiment stamp that will work for the inside of my cards. I do very personal messages.

I must say, your method sounds very clever, Nancy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2013, 05:07 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm sure there is a better way to do this, but I change the size of the paper, type my sentiment and before printing use the ruler in preview to see how it lines up (for the fold in center). Sometimes it takes a couple of tries, but when you get, you got it! Just save. I have a couple of files saved because it depends on the base of my card orientation (4 1/4 x 5 1/2) or the opposite, and for the larger 5 x 7 card portrait and landscape. After printing I trim as if I were trimming CS, and then cut 1/4" off the top and left or bottom and right (you can tell where to trim when it comes out the printer. If you'd like a couple of my files to tweak PM me and I'd be happy to send.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same as Rachelrose but I do this through Microsoft Office Word which is on my computer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #12  
~LN
Rubber Obsessor

Oh I so love this thread!

Question, after you have formatted your sentiment how do you insert the cardstock so it will print correctly?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

I don't have to worry about that, since I'm trimming the paper down. And since I rarely use cardstock inside my cards (too expensive - I just use regular all purpose paper, 24 lb if I can get it), I can just play around until I have things the way I want them.

If you are printing to CS (which occasionally I do), be sure to run a test on plain paper first, trim it and look at it inside the card. I often think I have a good font size/style, and then discover it looks wrong once I look at it in place. Or I rethink how to break the lines, or I haven't left enough room for a signature, etc. There's all kinds of things that I might reconsider, so I always do test runs. It's worth it if you use your cardstock, which you don't want to be throwing away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 03:36 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

I like printing my sentiments on shimmer paper, because as soon as it comes out of the printer I sprinkle embossing powder on it, heat up and I have beautiful embossed sentiments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 04:07 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Maybe this video will help everyone! So easy!
Placing Text In Word - YouTube

My Gallery
My New Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 05:41 AM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Lots of good information here. Thanks everyone! I just did a sentiment for a card I posted yesterday (before I saw this thread) and it was trial and error until I got it right. Now I'll have some better ways to do it in the future
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 05:59 AM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I use Word. for sentiments, if I need multiples I create a table so the spacing is even. If I need just one, I set the page size to 4x6 and then place a piece of cardstock in the photo tray of my printer - this saves on paper waste.

If I want to print on the full card base I use the template from Avery labels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 06:50 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

I use Publisher and it has a blank Greeting card template. I cut my 8 1/2 x 11 paper in half in run it through the printer. Always in perfect position. I collect my sayings and put them in a Word Doc, then when I need one, I just copy and paste to the template. I save my template and that way I have it ready for the next card.
"Snowmen fall from heaven...unassembled." Author unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Teri,

Thank you, thank you! I have Word and never could get my computer generated wording in the right place.

Will have to save this tutorial for the next time I want to use my own wording.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Here's a video tutorial that explains it really well
Placing Text In Word - YouTube
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

I use microsoft word. I delete all my margins and then it's easy to figure it out. You know 4 1/2 is midway and as stated above I just cut it 5 1/4 by 4 to put inside with temporary tape runner so the card can be re-sent. Copy paper isn't expensive so just print the sentiment you want and cut it down using a ruler to get even borders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #23  
Mad Swapper

I print mine in Word and use two free templates from the Avery website -- they have an A2 long and an A2 wide template. Then I just trim to fit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

Thanks for suggesting the Avery templates - they look perfect. I just looked them up so thought I'd put in the exact links the A2 templates for anyone else who wants them:

Templates - Quarter-Fold Greeting Card - tall | Avery

Templates - Quarter-Fold Greeting Card - wide | Avery

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #25  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaF409View Post
I have an awesome program that I bought from Lasting Impressions. It's called Colored Impressions and in the program it allows you to print out a text on a basic sizes of cards. You can also create your own sizes. All the fonts that are on your computer will load into the program when you install it. Love love love this program for designing. I am hoping that they come out with a newer version, because my Windows Seven doesn't allow it to display their images. They have matching images to their brass templates that you can print and then emboss. Have used this program for years now!
I, too, have this program and love it! When I got Windows 7 I had the same problem. Have you contacted Lasting Impressions? I contacted them and they gave me a link and step by step instructions to follow. It worked and I have my images back now. It certainly is worth a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

I have card programs that I bought from Nova Development online - Greeting Card Factory Deluxe and Scrapbook Factory Deluxe. You can buy these card programs at Staples and OfficeMax, too. All your fonts on your computer load into these programs. These programs have cards, any size, already sized in blank templates that you can put digital images and words into and print out. They also have cards already made up that you can print or alter the text and images. Most all of my images bought or freebies you can click and drag into these card templates! You are not allowed to sell their cards in the program, but to be honest I usually just use the program for the placement of my images and text and print out. They also include crafts like boxes and money holders, and they have all the Avery templates to print labels and stickers.

Another card program I use is Design Studio, but there are not as many options in this program. It's from Dover Designs here - Christmas Card Maker
It says for making Christmas Cards and it only has Christmas images in it. Like the other programs though all my images you can click and drag them into the card template. Hope this helps those of you who are Word Document challenged like me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2013, 04:24 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

I always print my inserts as my customers usually want some kind of wording or verse inside, i use a text box and just position it where i think it should go i make sure i use the correct orientation first, i never use cardstock but use printer paper it's cheaper and doesn't matter so much if it doesn't go right as i can just do another, i always make sure i remove the box outline before printing too. Once you get the hang of it it becomes second nature to you, good luck xx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Wow everyone, great thread! Thanks for the YouTube links, the template links and all the ideas and suggestions to make this easy!

I can totally see printing out several copies of favorite inside sentiements on a page, in advance, and cutting them down to an insert-size to have ready for inserting quickly into my cards as needed!
My Blog --> Everlasting Ink
I design for Heartfelt Creations
My Pinterest boards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Before joining Stampin'Up! this is the only way I made cards .I don't have Word but LibreOffice and work the margins to fit the work in progress. My printer is HP Photosmart and prints pretty good ,even on clip art.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Don't forget to give credit to the author of your Quote. I use really small font for this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #31  
Glitter Guru

Anne, that's a good idea! Duh! So often I am racing at the eleventh hour to get some kind of coherent sentiment typed up and trimmed out. Having something ready to go would make life much easier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

I do like Rachelrose - Microsoft Word (I have Office 2010). I make quite a few birthday, get well and anniversary cards for our church so the inside verse is usually the same for everyone during the year allowing space for a handwritten note. Family and friends are also printed but usually a little more personal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the fabulous information everyone. I am not very computer friendly and all these ideas are a great help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2013, 04:57 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

here are two samples of what my Mom does. She does all of this in her pint shop program.

jcard inside verses 1 by jjai - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

jcard inside verses 2 by jjai - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I do my verses and such in the WORD program, nothing like what my Mom does though.

Have fun and be creative!

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2013, 05:19 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

I'd like to do this for some of my cards � if anyone reading this knows how to do it on a Mac, I'd love to hear the steps for that. My knowledge doesn't extend beyond pretty basic stuff in Pages.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #36  
Glitter Queen

Default Does anyone ?

As I am using a Mac I would like to know how to set sentiments or other
sayings on a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #37  
Glitter Guru

It really doesn't matter if you are using a Mac or a PC - how you do this depends on the program you are using.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Years ago I did up a little Word doc tutorial for a friend...this was for printing directly on the cardstock you're going to use as a card but you can easily follow the instructions I've attached and just make 4 text boxes on the whole page instead of two.

Kelly
Attached Files
File Type: doc Printing card verses on cardstock.doc (377.5 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #39  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

I have PrintShop on my computer, and I use the template for a quarterfold card and type the verse on one of the "pages" and print it out. I use the rest of the piece of cardstock for other purposes.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #40  
Glitter Queen

Thank you all for your answers. I have been fighting with this printing for years!!
Reply With Quote Likes