Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spectrum Noir - Just received and...

Over the years, I purchased the Copic Caio set - colors didn't work well together, so I sold those. Then I collected a few Copic sketch markers here and there for a small fortune...never had the right colors to blend and didn't want to keep spending that much for one marker. I love to color with alcohol markers, so I decided to give the Spectrum Noir markers a try. I know they come with mixed reviews, but I took the plunge anyway. I'm so glad that I did. I received them yesterday, stamped some cute images and colored away. They are FANTASTIC. They blend well, and with the full set I purchased, I have plenty of colors to get the exact look I want! The fine tip nib is a little bit firmer on the Spectrum Noir- not like the brush of the copics. Once you use it a bit, it's easy to get used to and not a problem to blend with at all!

Also, Spectrum Noir has a user friendly website with video tutorials if you need some help getting started with alcohol markers. In my opinion, if you are a stamper, and want to have some of the latest tools without spending a fortune, these markers are the way to go - if you like to color, of course. I appreciate that Crafters Companion has created a product that is affordable for the hobby crafter.

I purchased my set from PaperWishes with free shipping and a coupon for 20% off the marker set. I didn't expect the coupon discount, but it just came up in my shopping cart. Bonus!

Just thought I would share my experience. Thanks for listening!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I like them too. . . got them at JoAnn's with a 40 off coupon. They are so much more affordable than Copics

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love them too. I'm getting close to completing the whole set. They are so easy to work with and Affordable!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for the head's up! I have a lot of copics but I'm always ready to try out a new product! ;)

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 06:16 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I had avoided the Copics previously because of the cost. I went to a make & take at our LSS the other day and used them. Of course, thought they were amazing. Then I came home and found this thread. I think it's divine intervention.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 01:20 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I have already started my Copic Collection, have about 36 of them. But these caught my eye. One thing I have a question about is I really love the brush tip on Copics, the Spectrums don't have one it looks like. Is the brush nib as good as the brush tip? Also does Joann's sell them in the store or just online?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I love them too! I never bought the copics because of the price; but these...I already have around 60 of them ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyndi_RayView Post
Also does Joann's sell them in the store or just online?
Joann sells them in store too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 06:02 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

They're opening a Joann's in March literally almost in my backyard, i'm in trouble, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I love mine..got them at a convention. I did see them at Joann's that would be great to use with a coupon. That's what I plan to do when I NEED to add to the collection. I started with Copic but it was just to expensive for me. I want all the colors now I can't be patient enough to buy slowly.

My husband said...."It was him or scrapbooking"...I took pictures of him packing and made the cutest pages!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Cyndi - the brush nib IMO is the only thing you have to get used to after learning on Copics. It is a firmer nib. After practicing on a few images, I found it to be no trouble. Hope that helps!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I love mine too. I have lots of different kinds of alcohol markers besides spectrum noir, sketch, caio, prisma with the brush tip and the bullet tip, touch twin and I really like all of them and they work well together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Cindy, thank you for sharing your thoughts on Spectrum Noir Markers. I keep debating if I should purchase at such a great price. Now I know I will
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I think if you haven't already started a Copic collection then definitely start with the Spectrums, it sounds like. That's what I would do! My only debate right now is I've invested over $200 in Copics, and it would seem like a waste to start over with different markers. Although... different brands would have different shades and colors. So maybe I could consider it an addition. Who knows, lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

If they are alcohol based, is there any reason you can't use them together? Especially if they have different colors. I did notice that the refills were similar cost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm sure I could. I"m just weird about mixing markers. I want the entire collection of copics before I start on something else. However that would be expensive!! A joann's is opening by me in March and hopefully my finances will have recovered from Christmas by then and I can start collecting spectrums with their 40% off coupons!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I'm sure I could. I"m just weird about mixing markers. I want the entire collection of copics before I start on something else. However that would be expensive!! A joann's is opening by me in March and hopefully my finances will have recovered from Christmas by then and I can start collecting spectrums with their 40% off coupons!
I know what you mean. I tend to treat my alcohol markers separately too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, I don't have any copics - would never be able to pay for the vast collection. But I do have Dick Blicks and Bic Mark-its, and Sharpies. And these all blend very well with the Spectrum Noir.

Actually for anyone that has the Bic Mark-its - you know that even though the cap indicates it is a pale color, it is NOT. Those markers are very vibrant. So I bought the "pale" and "lights" collections to actually get some soft colors. I use those then blend with the darker shades of the Bics. It's like they were made to go together.

I have accumulated all of the 6 pack colors, and the 24 sets of pales and light. All I need now are the "darks" and "brights". But I'm gonna hold off on those because my Bics and Blicks are already dark and bright.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
If they are alcohol based, is there any reason you can't use them together? Especially if they have different colors. I did notice that the refills were similar cost.

The Copic's & Spectrum Noir markers can be used together! I stopped buying copic's quite a long time ago due to the cost. I have since tried the S.N. markers and really like them. I purchased the S.N. markers early fall at Joann & AC Moore using the coupons. They came in packs of 6 and I have all the colors they offered. Now I need to go online and purchase the other sets!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2013, 04:45 AM   #19  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:

My only debate right now is I've invested over $200 in Copics
I love my Copics. You might want to branch out re: ways to use your Copics because in addition to coloring by hand, you can also use your Copics for airbrushing - that is so much fun and it's beautiful. I have to contain myself because I want to airbrush everything LOL.

You can get two different airbrush effects with the [Sketch] markers: the chisel nib gives a fine spray and the brush nib gives small speckles. And something that surprised me is that airbrushing uses very little ink.

Go have fun with your Copics investment I would suggest that you check out this Copics blog: http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/ for lots of techniques info and info re: Copics classes. These talented folks teach all over the United States - it's just a matter of waiting for a class to come to a location that works for you. I took their beginner class. Now I'm waiting for the advanced class and they also are now offering a mixed media class.

Update: Copics classes are being offered in Indianapolis, IN on March 1 and 2.

I'm just a crafter and not affiliated with Copics in any way; just trying to help you get the most out of your Copics investment.

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 01-06-2013 at 05:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2013, 04:51 AM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

When I took a Copic class we were taught to flick the tip to get subtle blending - for those that have copics and SN, can you still flick the stiffer nibs for the subtle blending? I really like that technique and not sure I want to give it up to switch even though the price is attractive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have about 200 Copics and I use the Spectrum Noir markers with the Copics. I have all the Spectrum now. Love looking at the shelf with all the pretty markers on it! I do use them together with no problems. I just need a lot of practice yet.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

I felt much like the first poster. I purchased three of the Copic Caio sets plus many other sketch markers. I even got Copic certified. I love coloring with Copics, but I have huge gaps in my collection. I feel like I never have the right color.

I got some money from my family for Christmas. I knew I wanted to invest it into my Copic collection. I started filling my shopping cart with the colors I know I need and I was oer $200 fast. So, I started looking into some different marker options. I remembered that I had seen the Spectrum Noir markers at JoAnn's and decided to start there. The six pack was something like $7.50 with a coupon. I picked up the yellow set. i don't have too many yellows, so I figured I could use them with my Copics if I didn't like them.

I was very unsure that I'd like the bullet tip. I'm so used to the brush tip. It turns out that I prefer the bullet tip. I can get into small places much better. I just feel like I have more control. I plan to try the other tip with my Copic Air Brush some time soon.

I am sooo happy with the results I've had with the Spectrum Noir markers that I've decided to invest in the entire set. I searched around & have gotten them all for just around $200. My JoAnn's has all 12 of the sets of six. The casher told me that I could use a coupon on each set in one transaction, so I got the 11 remaining sets for $88. Then I found the $24 sets on sale for $35 & got the price down to $32 a set with a first time buyer coupon at Consumer Crafts. I made storage to hold them all with $2 worth of foam core from Dollar Tree. Now, I plan to sell my Copics to buy some other goodies.

I'm going to film some video's for my you tube channel in the upcoming weeks. There are very few video's for Spectrum Noir's on you tube. I'm loving the results I've been getting. JIL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I have about 200 Copics and I use the Spectrum Noir markers with the Copics. I have all the Spectrum now. Love looking at the shelf with all the pretty markers on it! I do use them together with no problems. I just need a lot of practice yet.
blessings.
Glad to hear they work together seamlessly!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

JIL,

I though about possibly selling my Copics if I liked the Spectrums that much too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Cyndi, You should really try a few to see if you like the bullet tip. I was surprised that I prefered the Spectrum Noir's. The price is just a bonus. I'd be interested to know what you think. JIL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Originally Posted by Cyndi_Ray
My only debate right now is I've invested over $200 in Copics

I think it's good advise to get at least one pack. Try them, and then try them again. Unless you have money to burn, or are a professional artist - I say stop bleeding money on Copics.

When I had growing pains over which marker system to try I had to remind myself - - - I'm coloring a birthday card! Not the Cistine Chapel!

And I would be willing to bet that the recipients of your cards will never know the difference between Copics and SN's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenOfInklandView Post
I love my Copics. You might want to branch out re: ways to use your Copics because in addition to coloring by hand, you can also use your Copics for airbrushing - that is so much fun and it's beautiful. I have to contain myself because I want to airbrush everything LOL.

You can get two different airbrush effects with the [Sketch] markers: the chisel nib gives a fine spray and the brush nib gives small speckles. And something that surprised me is that airbrushing uses very little ink.

Go have fun with your Copics investment I would suggest that you check out this Copics blog: I Like Markers for lots of techniques info and info re: Copics classes. These talented folks teach all over the United States - it's just a matter of waiting for a class to come to a location that works for you. I took their beginner class. Now I'm waiting for the advanced class and they also are now offering a mixed media class.

Update: Copics classes are being offered in Indianapolis, IN on March 1 and 2.

I'm just a crafter and not affiliated with Copics in any way; just trying to help you get the most out of your Copics investment.
Love airbrushing too! Got mine at Harbor Freight with a coupon. Finally now feeling competent enough with my markers that I may be airbrushing some RC cars for my family.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #28  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

HI,
It's been really valuable for me, as a newbie to coloring, to learn about all the options for alcohol markers. I ended up purchasing the SN and working my way into a full set by Christmas. As I finally opened those packages last week, I found several that were dry and/or the barrel came out. in addition, the zippers on the pouches were broken.

I called Crafter's Companion and their customer service so far has been phenomenal. No problem to send me new product, just email them a list. And, they don't seem to want me to sent the "bad" stuff back. I try to support small businesses, especially in this economy. CC isn't exactly a small business, but it's not a big box multi-craft store either. They have a limited product line, but I'll still go back to them, because I know that they stand behind their product.

Just an FYI really.
MOB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Hi Cyndi,
Where is the Joan's opening? Hopefully that means a great sale.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

I went to JoAnn's yesterday and bought a set of Brown Spectrum Noir markers for $7.50 with 50% coupon. Not a bad deal! I'm going back today to get the Turquoise set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

How much ink does the marker actually hold (the dried out ones in the package made me wonder). The refills are the similar cost (I noted earlier). Maybe I should just ask the manufacturer as it isn't listed on their website nor on the SCS product review.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biko8666View Post
Hi Cyndi,
Where is the Joan's opening? Hopefully that means a great sale.
Jefferson Mall
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Jefferson Mall
Wow! In it or near like Hobby Lobby? I've been to the one in St Matthews but it is a pain to get through all that traffic (even on a good day).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

Inside jefferson mall. The sign is right on the outside by sears.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2013, 05:00 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Its been so long since I have shopped in Jefferson Mall... Well not really (New Years Day - but I only went into the sale at Dillards) Trying to work out how big the shop will really be and what will be their focus if they are limited on space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2013, 05:44 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh and I got a reply from Crafter's Companion - they don't know how much ink you are supposed to get in your marker. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: It concerns me they don't know their product. It will be interesting to see how long these work without refilling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

I read on some of the forums here where they purchased the Spectrum Noir at Michaels, however the Michaels in Louisville and Clarksville do not carry them. A sales clerk stated they (all I mentioned) are the smaller stores and don't carry everything they have on line. Unfortunately you can't order on line with free shipping to the store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Oh and I got a reply from Crafter's Companion - they don't know how much ink you are supposed to get in your marker. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: It concerns me they don't know their product. It will be interesting to see how long these work without refilling.
Oh Geez. Now that kinda concerns me too. I have about 100 of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #39  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I wouldn't let that worry me too much. I believe that "how much" could be a somewhat subjective thing - depending on how "heavy" you color, etc., individual mileage would most likely vary.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by weimsView Post
I wouldn't let that worry me too much. I believe that "how much" could be a somewhat subjective thing - depending on how "heavy" you color, etc., individual mileage would most likely vary.
I appreciate what you are saying, however, for me it is part of the Copic comparison. Copic has stated in the past how much ink is in its Ciao, Sketch, Original Markers, which in turn also lets the user know how many refills they will get out of a purchased refill.

As a secondary concern is usage. However, if I'm only getting a half full pen to begin with, I think I have the right to know that as well.
Reply With Quote Likes