Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrapbook retreat how not to overpack?

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on the best way to prepare and pack for a 4 day scrapbook retreat. I have went on 1 overnighter and mostly day crops and I always overpack terribly. I spend most of my time comparing and socializing. This one is 4 days. I have already started thinking about packing and realized it will take me a half day just to get it all unloaded. Then I usually wind up missing something I really need. Any tips woul be appreciated!

Roschell
aka scrapbookrosie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

That's a tough one. I go twice a year for 4 day retreats and have been doing it for a few years and still struggle with what to pack. One thing I have found that helps is to decide in advance what you want to get done during the few days. I usually make kits for myself once I decide what I want to do. Usually in the spring I make all my Christmas cards and pack accordingly. Rest assured, there will be things you wish you packed and a ton of things you didn't need to pack. In the end though, if I plan what I want to do I have almost everything I need. I can always add that "one last thing" when I get home. Just enjoy you time away!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Good luck with that!!! As a scrapbooker, we NEED it all!!!! I have gotten it down better than I used to. When I go on a retreat, I do more paper crafting vs. tons of embellishments. I use the paper was layers and accents. This helps. I do bring some embellies but normally my favorites, and some alphabet stickers to help with titles. I will bring only my favorite and most used punches or edge punches because you can do a lot with those.
I bring my framelits because I have those in a Tim Holtz binder and ONE binder holds TONS!!! That gives me a lot of options. (I take my big shot if the retreat doesn't have one or my girlfriend and I divide it up so we both don't bring the same things).
I bring my container of buttons/brads, and my container of ribbon. I have a container that I have a sampling of all my ribbon in it (I have details on my blog if you are interested). I also take my smart phone......why? Because I have a board on pinterest of scrapbooking layouts and card layouts. Sketches are a GREAT way to help you take less, or at least it does for me. I can look up my board on my phone and have my sketches!!!
Other than that....I can't help because I think I over pack.....but don't we all??!!!
Most of all....have fun!!!!!! Four days is awesome!!!! Hope it is a great relaxing time!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

How do you find out about these retreats? I would love to go on one but I don't know anyone who stamps/scrapbooks except me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a notorious over-packer. Can't even believe I have the moxie to chime in on this... but I will.
I bring my cricut & gypsy so that I can make my own embellishments. A good assortment of cardstock is really key.
I also bring some post-it notes so if I don't have what I need for a layout, I can write my idea on the post it note and attach it to the page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 05:15 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I too use sketches and kits. I pull the pictures I want to scrap, find a sketch that I want to use, pick out the paper, most or all of the embellishments, place them in a Ziploc, or just stack them in a plastic 12 x 12 container and go to the next one. I have my rainbow of cardstock and a box of scraps, my tools, and off I go. If you have a laptop or iPad--that goes too so you can even access online layouts to CASE (and portable music too!) Have fun--I love my scrapbooking weekends with the other crazy, obessed friends like me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I once actually forgot to bring plain white card stock! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmatuschkaView Post
How do you find out about these retreats? I would love to go on one but I don't know anyone who stamps/scrapbooks except me.
I would try googling scrap/stamping retreats in your area.
The one I go to is twice a year up in the White Mtns of NH and they spoil us rotten. Don't know if you would want to travel that far but it is awesome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

I used to overpack but now my friends are all surprised by what little I bring with me now.

My tip is to try to precut everything you need for your project(s). If you're like me and need to stamp something before you punch or die cut it out. I would try to get that accomplished before my trip.

I bring my iPhone everywhere and try to pin things to my board so I'm not searching while out. I also try to pack a couple of my craft mags in case I need to get my mojo back up.

If the retreat center you're going to has a cricut I'd probably be sure to bring my own cutting mats and a Gypsy loaded with the cartridges I plan to use.

If I'm planning on stamping on my projects then I try to use ones that are acrylic or clear mount. And try to pack the most versatile blocks for that.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberLady603View Post
I would try googling scrap/stamping retreats in your area.
The one I go to is twice a year up in the White Mtns of NH and they spoil us rotten. Don't know if you would want to travel that far but it is awesome.
From Louisiana to New Hampshire would be quite a trip (and quite an expense), but oh, how wonderful to be where it's COLD. And I could see SNOW!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

From Louisiana to New Hampshire would be quite a trip (and quite an expense), but oh, how wonderful to be where it's COLD. And I could see SNOW!!
LOL! You would certainly see some snow and cold today!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks everyone for your replies. I thought over the holidays I might try to come up with some sketches and try to precut everything. I have my answer now. BTW our retreat is at The Red Rooster in Cullman, AL. They do any type you want. You can do scrapbooking, sewing, quilting, and they have even done mahjong tournaments there. The food is awsome and the friends are great. We have a homeschool group that gets it together for us moms. We all need a break for our kids.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

I'm so glad you get to go! Have a REALLY good time! Don't stress about what you brought with you and what you didn't. I would love to hear about it all.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2012, 04:42 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

I'd just be thinking of which glues/adhesives I'd need. I have a shoebox sized "glue box" that has my tape runners, foam dots, score tape and liquid glues. The only one that doesn't fit in that box is my ATG.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

I second most of these ideas, especially the post-it notes-and be willing to leave a layout with a postit that says "needs ribbon>" or whatever. I would suggest more neutral card stock than you think, and less dramatic colors/busy DSP unless you have a layout planned. And I email the retreat coordinator repeatedly, asking if she or someone is bring their ink pads, embossing gun, etc tools so I don't have to bring those. And don't forget caffeine! If you have a personal Ottlite, and a cushion or back rest, that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #16  
Glitter Queen

Relax, Refresh and have FUN.....that's my top priority, but on the serious side? I also, plan kits, make sketches, organize AND SHARE. There are usually a few of us that go (3-4 times a year) We decide WHO will bring the inks, the big shot, the punches....so we don't ALL have to load it, then we share! I believe we all take more than we ever use or complete, but if you are like most of us, you don't know what you will feel like working on at any given time. Just be sure to load up on your fav. adhesive, if you have to hit the vendors for that, you will probably come away with MUCH more product that you did not plan to purchase AND then have to find room to pack it to take home. Oh and another tip, take an empty photo album or page-storage tote to place all those completed pages! REMEBER it's not how many pages / projects you complete, it's how much fun you have and how many wonderful new friends you make!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

Although it takes a bit of effort to begin with, I put together projects that I want to work on and prep quite a bit of the project before hand. That helps cut down on some of the bulky items that I don't have to pack.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Another suggestion is to receive your local scrap store's newsletter. Many scrap stores will host retreats or sponsor one that is local enough for you to attend.
Reply With Quote Likes