Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting over...

I got into scrapbooking about 15 years ago, stamping about 10. I've got an entire room in my basement just for crafting. I have lots and lots and lots of stamps, ink pads of all different colors, etc. I have kept my SU demos in business more than once. But then I stopped.

About a year ago, I started a business that uses my craft room (repairing horse blankets) and has taken over that space. I rarely had the desire to go create. I had a decent stash of cards, so used those instead of making new ones. But...

recently, my stash got wet. All of my cards were ruined. Wet, nasty messes. I have the yen to create again. But now I'm lost - I have everything one could want, but don't even know where to start. My business is in a down time (it's too cold to take blankets off right now!) and I have time. I'm thinking of CASEing some cards in the gallery, but haven't made it downstairs yet. Where do you get over the "I want to again" and into the "I'm doing again" mode?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

For me anytime I take a break, it is hard to get motivated to get going again. But I just make up my mind that today is the day and get busy. As soon as I start working on something, I am back in the groove. So right now I am taking a break for Christmas. About Jan 3 I am starting Valentine's and then I have this bigger project in mind.

I do find it easier after a break to find something I can CASE almost exactly because I feel like I can get something done quick and feel like I have accomplished something without stress.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi Diana,
I'm kinda feeling the same way. I too have a room with everything I need. I took time off doing other things and would like to start again. My biggest problem is I need to purge and organize. I feel like my creativity is being smothered by all the stuff. It's been a real struggle and I can't wait for the I'm doing it again too:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

So sorry your cards were ruined. What a bummer. :-(
When I need inspiration I start going through my stash of stamps and stuff. I choose something that I haven't used in awhile (or never) and decide to find a use. Then I search the gallery for inspiration. Sometimes I search the gallery for the exact name of the stamp set I want to use and sometimes I search my favorite member galleries. Either way, I can usually find some inspiration!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

When I need inspiration I decide what I need to accomplish - right now I need 2 birthday cards for January and a couple of fun cards for my eldest at university and maybe to start on some Valentines cards and whilst I am at it, to go ahead and to my MIL's birthday and Mothering Sunday Card (normally March in England). So now I have the list of what I need to accomplish.

Second I cruise the gallery for inspiration. Just pure inspiration. Not for a particular set or anything. If that doesn't set my creative juices going. I find a challenge. So far I have done best with challenges that might have a prize at the end (other forums) as an extra kick up the backside.

So simply, my process is something like: I need a card for BIL, he likes this, I have these stamps that might work and I like these colors for him - hmm what is the best way to put this together. I know other people have other ways.

Best of luck and sorry your stash was spoiled.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Diana, so sorry about your cards. Sometimes when I am in a slump, I do what RiverIsis does for inspiration. Think about up coming occasions, birthday, valentine, etc. and who will receive the card, what colors they like, what they are into horses, sports, flowers, etc. If that does not help then my go to techniques or card sketches ususally help.

Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 04:32 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry your cards were ruined... that is a bummer.

The thing that helps me get going is choosing a simple design and making 2-4 of the same card (depending on the complexity). It builds my stash up quickly, and the sense of accomplishment is often a spring board to creativity.

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 05:02 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

So sorry about your wet-mess. When I'm in a slump I don't try to make anything. I just play with techniques, try to find ways to use what I have in a different way. Play time is no pressure time for me because since I'm experimenting there is no expectation to create something wonderful. Somewhere along the way I find I'm having fun and then the creativity kicks in.

Another thing I do is re-arrange my craft room. I clean out spaces that are crowded, make labels, etc. When I go through my supplies I find things that I want to use or perhaps forgot I had and I find inspiration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 06:18 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, BIG drag to lose all your cards! But maybe try to think of it as the universe telling you it's time to make a fresh start, if you can. That might soften the blow a little bit.

All great advice here and you'll see if any of it speaks to you. My own 2 cents: Start doing one of the weekly challenges. I do the Color Challenge. It gives me some structure and a reasonable time constraint (you can post to those challenge galleries anytime, but I make myself finish something before the next week's is posted). It's fun to post to the gallery for that week's challenge and then go and look at how everyone else worked it. You get great ideas, you leave comments on cards you love, people leave comments for you, and it's all very encouraging.

Good luck finding your mojo again! I'm sure you will!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Great advice from everyone! I have been in a slump after losing my husband suddenly last January. I plan on doing the Christmas card and All occasion challenges. Hopefully, these will get me "back in the saddle"!

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Cindi! So, so sorry! Oh, please give yourself a break, recovering from a loss of that magnitude takes time.

I hope you can begin to find some small moments of joy in starting up paper crafting again.

If you ever do a color challenge, I promise I'll be there to post a comment!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

So sorry for your loss Cindi. Goals are good as are challenges because there is plenty of support in those threads. Welcome back in the saddle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you Rachelrose and Kristen for your kind words! Rachelrose, do you have a link for the color challenges?
I must say that making my Christmas cards helped get my mojo going again. I had decided not to send cards out this year, but changed my mind when i realized how important that had been to my husband. It ended up being very therapudic :grin:

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Horseygal, so sorry about your loss and good for you for sending out the cards. Be patient, your mojo will return. There are many challenges on this site, go to the home page and scroll down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Default slump

I understand exactly what you are feeling..
I knew I was in trouble and needed some help when I had all the time in the world and plenty of product/stash in my room to create with, but I didn't have the desire.

I found that aside from talking it out with someone...I joined a swap. I was on a deadline and it was a small enough group that I could get my mojo back but not be overwhelmed.
I continued to scope out the boards to get ideas too.
I have since attended a few card classes at the LSS, not that I needed to learn anything new, just for the pure pleasure of making a card with friends.

I hope you get back in the swing soon. I am still struggling to get back in the groove of scrapbooking pages but I have got my mojo back with the card making.

Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Cindi - I'll link you to it, but it's easy to find in case you lose the link. Just go to the main forum board, in the Stamping Stuff section. It's down toward the bottom of that section - past General Stamping Talk, Mission Organization, Tool and Product Talk, Scrapbooking, Techniques and Downloads. Under Downloads you will see Splitcoast Challenges and directly under that are the subforums where each challenge thread is. The Color Challenge is the sixth one in the list, just click on the phrase "Color Combinations" and you'll be there. They list a new challenge every Tuesday morning. I skipped this last one because I had so much holiday stuff to do and it was an all white challenge which didn't interest me. They will list the three colors as SU colors, but as you'll see you don't have to have SU stuff to do the challenge, just use colors similar to the challenge colors. (Check out the other challenges too, see which one seems up your alley.)

Here's the link directly to the Color Challenge:

CC406 -WHISPERS of VERY COLORLESS CARDS - 12/18/12 by Karen B Barber at Splitcoaststampers

You don't have to post your card to the thread, as long as you upload it to the gallery for that week, it will be there with the others. If you need help with that you can post your question here or pm me. There are directions in the first post on the thread, though, so read that.

I am looking forward to this Tuesday's challenge!

And how wonderful that you were able to do your Christmas cards and take comfort in remembering the pleasure they gave your husband.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 12-30-2012 at 10:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

I got a new catalog (I know, they came out in July) from my SU demo today and realized just how out of date I am. I think I've only got about 3 sets that are still current. Sigh. At least none of my friends know what's out of date. I am ready to go down and do something.

Cindi - I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I don't know what I'd do if DH passed away suddenly. I see you're horsey, too. I hope that your horses are helping you heal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Diana, there are some great suggestions given already. I was going to mention taking a look through the daily challenges offered here at SCS. It's easy to spot them from the front page, as they're all listed rather "front and center". Read a few until one reels you in.

Or take a finger-walk through that catalog, and try your hand at remaking one of the samples with colors and stamps that you already have on hand! It might just pull you right back in! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

You just have to get back in there and create. when I take time off and go back I don't always like my first attempts, but that is okay. I just try again.

My Blog
- My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 02:29 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

I find challenges to be very helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 03:45 AM   #21  
Glitter Guru

And no more talk of being "out-of-date"!! Companies have to continually create new product to make money and stay in business. Your retired sets are no doubt much loved and much used - and much valued, just go check eBay for what some of the older sets are fetching.

I've never been one to pay attention to what's "in" or "out". In anything. If I love it, that's all that counts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 05:55 AM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

I suppose the bright side is that, after a year, none of my stamps should seem old. haha! I am planning to spend some time downstairs today creating. Of course, I also plan to take a trip to JoAnns to see if my local store carries the Spectrum Noir markers. THAT might help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 07:50 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

I did it! I made two cards today! I felt very good. I am, however, almost out of white cardstock, so will need to remedy that ASAP.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 08:21 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Diana, congrats! Just keep on going, use any color paper then bleach, LOL!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes