Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-13-2012, 01:03 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Call me CHEAP but...

Has anyone made their own cling sheets? You know the ones that you attach EZ Cling stamps to? They come punched to fit a 3 ring binder, but SHEESH they are SPENDY... and I all of a sudden have a HUGE need for SEVERAL!!!!

Is there something equivalent? I have a new crop-a-dile, since I broke my other one (yes they have limits) so punching holes in something is no issue now!!!

Any creative cheap skates out there??? :mrgreen:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2012, 05:43 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Now, now, there's only one reason you NEED that many new sheets...that's because you're buying too many new stamps! Snort! HA!

I make all of mine. I laminate cardstock sheets. My laminating pouches come from Sams (Royal sovereign brand 200 pouches for just over $20.) Cardstock is your choice. I use the georgia pacific from walmart but you could use one a bit heavier to make really stiff pages.

Mine don't go in a binder. I use half sheets and they go in a page protector and into a drawer.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2012, 06:22 AM   #3  
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Received 379 Likes on 324 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
Now, now, there's only one reason you NEED that many new sheets...that's because you're buying too many new stamps! Snort! HA!

I make all of mine. I laminate cardstock sheets. My laminating pouches come from Sams (Royal sovereign brand 200 pouches for just over $20.) Cardstock is your choice. I use the georgia pacific from walmart but you could use one a bit heavier to make really stiff pages.

Mine don't go in a binder. I use half sheets and they go in a page protector and into a drawer.
This is interesting! I don't know anything about laminating. Do the pouches go in a machine?
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things, or make them unimportant. - The Eleventh Doctor
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by KelliJoView Post
Has anyone made their own cling sheets? You know the ones that you attach EZ Cling stamps to? They come punched to fit a 3 ring binder, but SHEESH they are SPENDY... and I all of a sudden have a HUGE need for SEVERAL!!!!

Is there something equivalent? I have a new crop-a-dile, since I broke my other one (yes they have limits) so punching holes in something is no issue now!!!

Any creative cheap skates out there??? :mrgreen:

I have done something like this while in the process of un mounting my wood mounted stamps. I would stamp the image on card stock (or if it is a S.U. set) print the image then I would take a laminating pouch and run it through my laminator. (hot) After that I would take the Scotch/3M double sided poster tape and on the back side use that to hold the stamps that I un mounted!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #5  

Quote:

:oops: GUILTY!!!! :mrgreen: lol I came across a BUNCH of people who were down sizing some of their Unity Stamps and gifted them to me!!!! :shock: LOVE them (and the stamps).... ;) Awesome, laminating never occurred to me!!!! **slaps forehead** Thank you SO much!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #6  

Quote:

Originally Posted by connie leoneView Post
I have done something like this while in the process of un mounting my wood mounted stamps. I would stamp the image on card stock (or if it is a S.U. set) print the image then I would take a laminating pouch and run it through my laminator. (hot) After that I would take the Scotch/3M double sided poster tape and on the back side use that to hold the stamps that I un mounted!
Oh cool, I mount all of mine onto EZ Cling so that I can still use my clear blocks, I like that better than flat rubber!!!!! EXCELLENT Idea about stamping the image though!!!! Thanks Mucho!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 807 Likes on 528 Posts

Don't know a darn thing about the subject in this thread but wanted to pop in and say "hi" to you! *waving hand*

Love the avie

Will you be doing the big basket of cards for the work fundraiser again?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #8  

Quote:

Originally Posted by smhtwinView Post
Don't know a darn thing about the subject in this thread but wanted to pop in and say "hi" to you! *waving hand*

Love the avie

Will you be doing the big basket of cards for the work fundraiser again?
LOL! HI LORRAINE!!!! :mrgreen: Yes I DID do the basket of cards already! I took 2nd place!!! :( At least it wasn't a latch hook rug that beat me! lol I raised $150 for Cops 4 Kids this year, I ended up using DT, DTGD and Challenge Cards I had created. I sent 40 cards to my DS's girlfriends Hospital she volunteers at also. I was SURPRISED at how many darn cards I had stashed here and there!!! LOL!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2012, 02:55 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I do the same as Fionna51- I laminate my own pages. I bought a laminator really cheaply, and from my pound store I can get a pack of 10 sheets for �1. Places like Staples you can get bigger packs that work out really cheap. I did a search on Amazon, and they have a laminator for $17. You can also just laminate the sheets themselves, btw, if you wanted them clear. I do put mine in A4 ring binders though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2012, 03:10 AM   #10  

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I do the same as Fionna51- I laminate my own pages. I bought a laminator really cheaply, and from my pound store I can get a pack of 10 sheets for �1. Places like Staples you can get bigger packs that work out really cheap. I did a search on Amazon, and they have a laminator for $17. You can also just laminate the sheets themselves, btw, if you wanted them clear. I do put mine in A4 ring binders though.
$17 :shock: That's IT??? WOOT!!!! I'm asking Santa for a Laminator and laminating sheets!!!! Since it's so inexpensive I might be able to get it, even though I said my Big Shot Pro was my gift!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2012, 05:06 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Yeah, it's just a basic laminator- for what we use them for, you don't need one with loads of bells & whistles. and just think how much you will save not buying someones branded sheets. Probably more than the cost of the laminator!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Our walmart had some laminating machines for about the same price. But I picked one up and it was super duper light weight compared to the machine I use at church (heavy!). I wonder if the heated drums are substantial enough to do a good job for multiple sheets.

Then I noticed that it said to use their laminating pouches only, and those were super pricey compared to going to Sams. So, I will continue to use the machine I have access to.

However, Amazon has the Royal sovereign laminator for $20
Amazon.com: Royal Sovereign 9-Inch Laminator (CS-923): Office Products
and that's the brand of pouches I buy at sams. I would check to make sure that the maximum thickness of pouch that a machine can do (it's in mils...like 3 mil or 5 mil) is compatible with your pouch choice.
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have thought about using a laminator to create my own binder panels, but I thought that the material used would harm the EZ mount cling. This was a while ago that I read about different materials harming cling and polymer acrylic. Some people had problems, some didn't. I can't find the thread where I read all this....and can't remember if it was on the SCS board or another board.

Fiona, how long have you been using laminated sheets and have you had any issues?

What I have done is buy the full sized binder panels from Joann's when they are on sale and free shipping. Then, I cut the full size into half sizes which gives me 10 half size panels. I use binders from Univenture and half pints from We R Memory Keepers (these are retired now....DARN!!).

Stamp N' Stor Storage Panels- Tabbed Panels 5/Pkg*: craft storage*: storage*: *Shop | Joann.com

Yes, you end up with extra holes on the panel, but who cares. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #14  

I hadn't heard of damage from laminating, of course I hadn't heard of laminating either... lol But I also remember reading about placing clear stamps directly on a CD Case, after I had done several this way, no etching in my world... others are now on the shipping sheet just to be safe!!!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I wrote a letter to Royal Sovereign asking them what the materials were in their laminating pouches. The outer film that is in contact with the stamps is NOT acetate, so there should be no problem.

That may not be the case with other brands. I suggest writing to the manufacturer if you have a question about it. Being acid-free doesn't mean being safe for ezmount.
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I laminate card stock and punch holes. works great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I wrote a letter to Royal Sovereign asking them what the materials were in their laminating pouches. The outer film that is in contact with the stamps is NOT acetate, so there should be no problem.

That may not be the case with other brands. I suggest writing to the manufacturer if you have a question about it. Being acid-free doesn't mean being safe for ezmount.
Thank you, Diane!!! I'm definitely going to check this out. I have a laminating machine, so all I need to do is find the right pouches. The more I can save on these items....the more I can spend on stamps.....BWAHAHAHAHHA!!

Kelli Jo, thanks for starting this thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #18  

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjlee717View Post
Thank you, Diane!!! I'm definitely going to check this out. I have a laminating machine, so all I need to do is find the right pouches. The more I can save on these items....the more I can spend on stamps.....BWAHAHAHAHHA!!

Kelli Jo, thanks for starting this thread.
LOL! Makes me feel better to not be the only Cheap one!!! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #19  

Quote:

Our walmart had some laminating machines for about the same price. But I picked one up and it was super duper light weight compared to the machine I use at church (heavy!). I wonder if the heated drums are substantial enough to do a good job for multiple sheets.

Then I noticed that it said to use their laminating pouches only, and those were super pricey compared to going to Sams. So, I will continue to use the machine I have access to.

However, Amazon has the Royal sovereign laminator for $20
Amazon.com: Royal Sovereign 9-Inch Laminator (CS-923): Office Products
and that's the brand of pouches I buy at sams.
I would check to make sure that the maximum thickness of pouch that a machine can do (it's in mils...like 3 mil or 5 mil) is compatible with your pouch choice.
Remember to click on Amazon through SCS... Moddy Christmas Time!!!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brenda (and everyone),

I bought the same binder panels when they were on sale at JoAnns and I bought two 9" wide by about 9" deep by about 6-1/2" high clear storage boxes. I plan to cut the panels in half and store them with the stamps on them and an index card in the boxes. Unless I put the panels in page protectors, it seems some little piece of my stamp set ends up falling off when I put them in binders. I suspect I'll need more than 2 storage boxes, especially as I take more rubber stamps off their wooden blocks, but they stack and I have lots of shelving in my craft room.

I hope this description makes some sense (and I also hope it works!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #21  

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktfabian2View Post
Brenda (and everyone),

I bought the same binder panels when they were on sale at JoAnns and I bought two 9" wide by about 9" deep by about 6-1/2" high clear storage boxes. I plan to cut the panels in half and store them with the stamps on them and an index card in the boxes. Unless I put the panels in page protectors, it seems some little piece of my stamp set ends up falling off when I put them in binders. I suspect I'll need more than 2 storage boxes, especially as I take more rubber stamps off their wooden blocks, but they stack and I have lots of shelving in my craft room.

Since I broke one of my 6ft shelves and Wal Mart doesn't carry the same size anymore... grrr... I have to change my storage options, I had unmounted and placed on cling and into CD Cases. My hubby built me a little step for my shelves to I have 2 rows on 1 shelf, but I'm thinking photo boxes by company... I just HATE flipping though, I like to browse without touching! lol It's like my own little store!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktfabian2View Post
Brenda (and everyone),

I can totally picture your storage method.

You're right.....sometimes the "cling" in the cling mount wears off, so stamps fall off the panel.

With the Univenture binders, it's actually a case that shuts completely. So, nothing "falls" out of the binder. The ones I use are no longer sold. I was able to get them when they were being discontinued for $1 each. Here's a link to their binders: 3 ring binder, 3 ring binders, 3 binder, view binder, case binder

With the half pint binders, they came with sheet protectors so all the stamps in the half pints are in those protectors so nothing falls out.

So far, I've been quite pleased with both storage methods. Most of the binders are categorized by company. I also have binders by theme (nature, flowers, animals, etc).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I'm having a duh moment here and just can't picture how this works...would anybody mind posting a picture of how the laminated CS with stamps looks?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kelli Jo,
Great thread and waving hi to you. I was about to get rid of a laminator but now re-thinking doing that. Love all these ideas.

I am a life artist and love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #25  

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokiesgalView Post
Kelli Jo,
Great thread and waving hi to you. I was about to get rid of a laminator but now re-thinking doing that. Love all these ideas.
HEY DELL!!!!! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2012, 04:01 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I went through my pictures to find one that might show you what I did. Unfortunately, I don't have the most current ones, since I am in the process of converting from storing by stamp set to breaking up my sets :shock: and storing by theme.

The picture below shows laminated cards with the images from the set stamped on one side BEFORE laminating. The images are stored on the back.

My storage now involves a blank piece of cardstock slightly smaller than a half sheet that is laminated. I sort and arrange the stamps on these, then stamp an index sheet the same size. I bought a bunch of page protectors and cut them down to about 6 inches and tuck both cards in the page protector. My stamps stay contained if they have a tendency to let go, and I can see what's on each card.
Attached Thumbnails
Call me CHEAP but...-img_1874.jpg  
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #27  

Quote:

I went through my pictures to find one that might show you what I did. Unfortunately, I don't have the most current ones, since I am in the process of converting from storing by stamp set to breaking up my sets :shock: and storing by theme.

The picture below shows laminated cards with the images from the set stamped on one side BEFORE laminating. The images are stored on the back.

My storage now involves a blank piece of cardstock slightly smaller than a half sheet that is laminated. I sort and arrange the stamps on these, then stamp an index sheet the same size. I bought a bunch of page protectors and cut them down to about 6 inches and tuck both cards in the page protector. My stamps stay contained if they have a tendency to let go, and I can see what's on each card.
OOOO!!!!! That is PRETTY!!!!! And you kept the little sticker name plate thingie!!!! THIS is SMART!!!!!! Thanks for sharing the picture!!!! It just concreted what I was imagining !!!!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #28  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Diane for the pictures. . really makes it easier to understand. But I have a question re the page protectors. I have a bunch of 8 1/2 X 11 page protectors, and I can't figure out if that is what you are using? Just the bottom halves?????????

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2012, 02:36 AM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Cathy..
Exactly! Just the bottom half. Well, it's a bit over half but that's the idea. I also cut the tab with the punched holes off. Sure don't need those.

By the way, the reason I have done things this way is that I am confined to those plastic drawers you see in the picture. I have a great cabinet that is loaded with them and I don't exactly have the money or the desire to start all over!
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2012, 07:50 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for the pictures Diane!!! That's so beautiful! Your drawers must look amazing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 03:36 AM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Default stamp storage

I have bunches of page protector. Thanks for the idea. My problem is that after I mount some stamps they still don't stick well to the acrylic block. Is there any reason you couldn'tt store them on the packaging that seems to come with everything. Acetate sheets? You could use them in a binder also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 03:59 AM   #32  
Inking Addict

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought a box of clear acetate sheets (used to make overhead transperancies). Also, a box of sheet protectors, which I use for several storage solutions. I put the stamps on the acetate sheet, slide that into a sleeve protector. If there is a printout of the stamps in the original package it goes in the sleeve protector with the set. Otherwise, I simply stamp images of the set onto a sheet of copier paper and put that in. Everything is in a large 3-ring binder on my bookshelf.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 04:14 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

I have lots of packaging saved I could use and slide them into the sheet protectors. My collection is getting out of hand lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 05:21 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Hey, KJ, great minds think alike! I was actually going to search the forum on this until it popped up in the Weekly Inkling.

Right now all my clear staps are still in original packaging and stored in photo boxes, but it's a pain to dig through them looking for what I want. I swore to myself that I was going to do SOMETHING about that after Christmas, and Voila! here are some great ideas! Thanks everybody!
QFTD 258
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 05:52 AM   #35  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I just bought a laminator for $17 from abc distributing online, the refill packs of 100 sheets are $5 and you get 9"x12", 4"x6" and ID badge size. It works great but I never thought of this use, brilliant!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 06:15 AM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

Hey Linsay You usually are the idea girl. I have some of mine stored in bins on origional sheet with an index tab telling what they are. ( Clear stamps that is )I the ones I mounted I store in jewelry bags from ABC. They are 5.95 and hold 32 pockets on each side. that way I can see what I have. I stamp a picture adn put that in front of the stamp in the pocket.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #37  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Default Here's what I do

This is an old photograph ....I've since moved everything into little one level, stacking filing cabinets, but this file storage box worked really well too.

I cut the hanging folders along the bottom to get two pieces, then glue a sheet of acetate to it.

I love storing my stamps this way and having virtually instant access to all my stamps. I buy everything in bulk, usually at Staples or Wal-mart.
life is something that happens only when you run out of cardstock

Last edited by Reddyisco; 12-26-2012 at 08:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2012, 02:35 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Haven't kept up with the thread till today, so here are a few responses all at once, lol. Some of my stamps have been on laminated sheets for at least 7 years- no issues with the e-z mount, nor with clear acrylic stamps either. I don't 'brand' shop for laminating sheets- I go with the cheapest I can find, so I don't think it really matters whose brand you use. You can get different thicknesses, but my cheap Poundstore ones don't even have any weight/thickness printed on the packaging, and they don't cause me any problems. If you do have a choice where you buy, I'd go with thinner ones- they'll be cheaper, your laminator will definitely seal them and you can stiffen them if you want with a sheet of copy paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #39  
Compulsive Stamper

Great ideas with the laminating! I started off using Tim Holtz binder pages (without the binder) to store my cling/clear stamps. They come in sets of five clear pockets for about $2.99. I LOVE them best. I also have quite a few plastic cases I won from Tape Online that are great for both stamps & wafer dies that I blogged about. Here's the post if you're interested in a visual: LoveLee Notes: Organizing Clear & Cling Foam Stamps
Most of mine came with the flimsy plastic sheet for the cling stamp. I just slide that into the TH binder pockets, then I use a labeler to label the pockets. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 03:47 AM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

A CHEAP CHEAP solution. head to a thrift store and buy one of the old magnetic photo albums.............some storefronts still sell em anyway the pages have plastic on them and are punched for three hole binder. THEY work GREAT for holding cling stamps you can take it one further and on a sheet of computer paper-- stamp out all the images you will have on that page then take that sheet --- lift up the plastic sheet on the magnetic photo album--- place the sheet underneath and violia you have a picture index for each page of unmounted stamps. Works great.
Reply With Quote Likes