Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White Ink Pad

Feedback please...

I've been using WHITE STAZON but I'm really not happy with it :( I've reinked it and I'm just not getting the bold white I'm looking for. I love using the white on Kraft and Black paper

What brand have you used with good results?

Should I give up on in and try using white embossing power? I just have such a hard time getting good results with embossing powders

Thanks for any replies!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too was on a quest to find a 'good' white ink pad. Tried Staz On, Brilliance 'Moonlight White', the JoAnn brand and Versa Magic 'White Cloud' none gave a consistent white impression.

I am now trying Ranger Adirondack 'Snow Cap' pigment ink pad. It seems to be the best for me so far. My problem is I don't use the white ink often (mostly holiday season) so I think the pad dries out. Even adding reinker doesn't seem to help. My first Staz On white pad dried stuck to the clear plastice inner cover.

Good luck in your search!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I've been pretty pleased with Colorbox's Frost White and SU's Craft White. I also like to use Tim Holtz's Picket Fence Distress Stain and the Snow Cap White Acrylic Paint Dabber.

erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Another vote for the ColorBox Frost White, followed by the Brilliance. To get an even stronger impression I'll sometimes use a stamp-a-ma-jig and stamp twice. Not a fan of white EP, me!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used the Brilliance Moonlight White, most of the time. Then I emboss with clear embossing powder most of the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The best opaque white ink I've found so far - one that actually dries and gives good coverage - is the little cheapy Studio G ink cubes from Michaels. I've tried most of all the other brands mentioned and either gave them away or tossed them because they don't work. I recommend at least trying it. For the price, even if you don't like it, you're not out of pocket a whole lot. I think all together I spent over $50 or $60 trying to find a white ink and the best one I found was only $1.50. I have some pictures on my blog showing how well it works if you want to see it on black cardstock: Cat Scrap Fever: A Couple Cards & a Product Review
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

I use the colorbox frost white as well, but for a bolder white I usually still heat emboss it with clear or white powder. Good luck with the search!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Brilliance works pretty well, and I've found if you heat set it right away it kind of keeps the ink from sinking into the paper. Also, if the stamp is not terribly detailed, I have used my stamp positioner to stamp over twice in the same spot.

Nothing will equal white embossing powder for opaque white. An acrylic paint will come closer (think that's what Picket Fence is, it's different from the rest of the stains). But sometimes you don't want that look, you want something softer.

That said, what kind of difficulty are you having with embossing powders? Maybe if that got sorted out, you'd be able to emboss and reliably get the crisp white look you are after.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Thanks for all of the feedback ladies. I'm going to head out tomorrow and get the Colorbox & Studio G pads I'll let ya know how they work out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I've tried a number of different white inks, including most of the ones mentioned here, and was never satisfied with the results. The one I've been happiest with is the Hero Hues Snow. It's actually a chalk ink. Another crafting friend of mine, who has tried almost everything available, has also become a fan of this ink. I own three other whites that I use only for embossing.

Keep in mind that your results, with any ink, will always depend in part on the paper you're using. Some papers absorb more ink.

I'd like to try the Brilliance, since I like their inks, but in the meantime the Hero Hues remains my go-to white ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2012, 01:58 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

I heard from a couple of talented Ustreamers that the very inexpensive ( the one that cost about $1.00) little Studio G white is really good. I actually bought one, but have yet to use it, so I cant really tell you what I think LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2012, 04:02 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

I swear by white on white embossing. Nothing is more striking on dark papers. I ink with white SU craft ink then heat emboss with white powder. I think un-embossed white ink is too subtle.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2012, 04:24 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

My favorites are the JoAnn's brand and the Studio G. I usually emboss white ink with white e.p.; but when I'm in a hurry, I use these brands.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2012, 07:25 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a play with White on black a while ago, and did a little piece on my blog here , along with some samples. The best result I got was with Versamark clear, and White embossing powder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

The absolute best I have found is Fresh Snow by Papertrey Ink. I just used this ink on kraft cardstock - it doesn't fade into the background and doesn't give you the stark white as if you had used embossing powder. I bought the 1" cube first to see if I liked it, and I loved it so I bought the larger pad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #16  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I had a play with White on black a while ago, and did a little piece on my blog here , along with some samples. The best result I got was with Versamark clear, and White embossing powder.
I'm in a black/white card swap here on SCS and you're blog article was so helpful !! And I love your card, too, and now I am off to Hobby Lobby to get webbing spray - that really added awesome texture and design. YOU ROCK
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Queen of Inkland- thanks you just made my day! I'm glad it was helpful to you. To keep the spacing even, I trimmed a few thin slivers of card on my paper trimmer, then use those between the images. I found I was hopeless at 'eyeballing' it, what looked equal at the time, looked wonky later on :( . Tip for the webbing spray, because it works best if sprayed in the air and allowed to fall onto the card. Get a large cardboard box to lay your card in, and spray over that. I'm still trying to figure out how to get it off a radiator, :???:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

I have a CTMH white ink pad...I don't know if it's the current one though, didn't they change them all over the summer? Anyway, it works pretty well, though on dark colors you get more of the elegant thin lines look than solid blocks of bright white.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2012, 01:23 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

I've tried loads and finally found a crisp white ink that is a bright white not a kind of creamy white.
It's Hero Hues chalk ink, 'Snow'.
(Will try the Studio G too if I can find it).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2012, 03:11 AM   #20  
Cardstock Collector

Default White ink pad alternative

I use acrylic craft paint and wash it off, it has not harmed my stamps, and works better
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2012, 03:31 AM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

To be more clear, I put the acrylic paint on top of one of the worthless white ink pads brayed it in evenly and then used it on dark paper, the results vary with experience
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2012, 05:37 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by alisendeView Post
I have a CTMH white ink pad...I don't know if it's the current one though, didn't they change them all over the summer? Anyway, it works pretty well, though on dark colors you get more of the elegant thin lines look than solid blocks of bright white.
I have a VERY old CTMH white dye ink pad that I love. However, they don't make a white dye ink any more, and I don't always want to use a pigment ink. I have found that Memories white does the trick, if you want dye, not pigment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2012, 06:08 AM   #23  
Glitter Queen

QUOTE: "The absolute best I have found is Fresh Snow by Papertrey Ink. I just used this ink on kraft cardstock - it doesn't fade into the background and doesn't give you the stark white as if you had used embossing powder. I bought the 1" cube first to see if I liked it, and I loved it so I bought the larger pad.

I have been looking for this ink pad for quite some time because a friend recommended it. I was told by an email from Papertrey Ink, that they no longer sell it. They do have a white ink pad called New Canvas, but every time I check their website it is out of stock. Is there another company that sells this product?
Linda B
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

I like the SU! white pigment ink for a softer white image, but if I want something a bit stronger without heat embossing I too like using acrylic craft paint. I even tried gesso once when I was trying to stamp on parchment paper (the kitchen variety) and while it gave me the 'weathered' look I was going for, I was terrified of it drying on my stamps so I kept a dish of water beside me and immediately put my stamps in it after using them. Luckily it washed off ok. To easily apply the acrylic paint, I use those firm foam makeup sponges. I like using lots of different colours of acrylic paint on my stamps this way- the opacity of the paint means you can layer images of ligher colours on top of darker colours, which you can't really do with ink. Plus, acrylic craft paint comes in soooo many colours and is irresistably cheap Compared to ink pads, that is...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I found the only white that was juicy and a beautiful white is Memories Milky White pigment ink pad by Stewart Superior. My choice over SU and StazonOn white. hth!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LKBradyView Post
QUOTE: "The absolute best I have found is Fresh Snow by Papertrey Ink. I just used this ink on kraft cardstock - it doesn't fade into the background and doesn't give you the stark white as if you had used embossing powder. I bought the 1" cube first to see if I liked it, and I loved it so I bought the larger pad.

I have been looking for this ink pad for quite some time because a friend recommended it. I was told by an email from Papertrey Ink, that they no longer sell it. They do have a white ink pad called New Canvas, but every time I check their website it is out of stock. Is there another company that sells this product?
Linda B
Stewart Superior has a line of hybrid inks called Palette and they have a white inkpad called New Canvas. It is a lovely inkpad to work with and the white is white like milk.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

Linda B
Linda, here is the link to the ink on PTI's website, and as of the time I posted this, it is in stock: https://www.papertreyink.com/pm-ink/...h-snow-inkpad/

That link takes you to the larger ink pad, but if you want the smaller one, just type "Fresh Snow" in the search box and you will find links to the 1" cube and the reinker.

I have the New Canvas ink pad also, and don't like it as well as the Fresh Snow. New Canvas is one of the Palette inks by Stewart Superior and PTI is no longer carrying that line of ink; New Canvas is a duller white than Fresh Snow.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #28  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

LOVE Papertrey Ink fresh Snow inkpad - another vote here!

My Gallery
Proud Dirty Dozen Alumni!
Proud DT Member for CAS-ual Fridays Stamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #29  
Glitter Guru

I ended up with the Colorbox and liked it so much that I bought a pink also...lol Love them both!!
Thanks for all of the feedback
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #30  
Crimping Master

Quote:

That's is all I use... I don't even bother with white ink anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #31  
~LN
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

That card is amazing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2012, 06:55 AM   #32  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This seems to come up around this time every year so I'll share a link comparing ColorBox Frost White to Brilliance Moonlight White (on black cardstock):

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

The rest of the thread can be found here:
White ink! by RidiculouslyAddicted at Splitcoaststampers

BTW, I recently found that sample and it looks the same (no fading of either inks). Not able to take/share a photo ('coz I no longer know where the sample is) but I was happy to see the inks held up well.

And I also like the white chalk ink from Studio G but have a personal policy of only using ink if I can buy a reinker for it.

I loved reading this thread but haven't checked out all the links yet. Too busy trying to get my cards ready for mailing.

Happy CRAFTY Holidays!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~LNView Post
That card is amazing!
Thank you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #34  
Embossing Fanatic

Another vote for PTI, Fresh Snow
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #35  
Forum Fanatic

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Default PTI Fresh Snow Inkpad is brown!

Help! I just received my PTI fresh snow ink pad and reinker and to my horror the ink on the pad is brown, not white!

I have not opened the clear plastic that seals the pad, but I can see through the clear plastic wrapping and clear plastic lid that the ink on the pad is a muddy brown. The packaging says Fresh Snow. Great, now I get to try to explain this to PTI and hope that they send me a "real" Fresh Snow pad....meanwhile I am unable to try out the ink to see if I like it. :confused:

ARG! Is it full moon, by any chance? :rolleyes:

I'm hoping that one of you who has this ink will tell me that it is supposed to look brown, not white so I don't have to go though the hassle of an exchange. Sigh ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
I'm hoping that one of you who has this ink will tell me that it is supposed to look brown, not white so I don't have to go though the hassle of an exchange. Sigh ...

That is exactly it. Just the lid is brown, so that's why the white pad looks brown through the brown plastic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #37  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
That is exactly it. Just the lid is brown, so that's why the white pad looks brown through the brown plastic.
:shock: Oh my gosh, you're right! Hallelujah! The lid IS amber, though it doesn't look amber until it's removed. Yippie - now I can use my new Fresh Snow pad! .

Thank you for this very valuable information, Skynacho. This is my first PTI ink pad so I had no idea the see thru top cover was a transparent color rather than the clear top I am used to seeing.

I'm smiling big right now, you made my night! :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #38  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
:shock: Oh my gosh, you're right! Hallelujah! The lid IS amber, though it doesn't look amber until it's removed. Yippie - now I can use my new Fresh Snow pad! .

Thank you for this very valuable information, Skynacho. This is my first PTI ink pad so I had no idea the see thru top cover was a transparent color rather than the clear top I am used to seeing.

I'm smiling big right now, you made my night! :cool:
Pretty much everyone who's ever bought that ink pad has had the same moment of panic. But only with the white ink. LOL. No one ever buys a red ink pad for their first and says "gosh, how come my ink pad doesn't look red?"

Anyhow, glad I could help and I hope you like it. It's the only white ink pad I haven't hated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #39  
Forum Fanatic

Checking back in after my near meltdown yesterday when I thought the PTI Fresh Snow ink pad was brown.

I've had a chance to play with it and all I can say is "WOW!" It is a crisp clean white and doesn't fade into colored card stock like other white inks, it dries much more quickly than a regular pigment ink, it cleans off the stamps easily and it doesn't STINK!!!!! :grin: Hands down it is the best white ink I've ever used. Thanks for the fabulous tip! :cool:

Last edited by Boss; 03-28-2013 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: iPad thinks it knows what I want to say....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #40  
Glitter Guru

Revisiting this since my last post. I've tried a couple of new ones.

My current favorite is Memories Unicorn. It's by Stewart Superior. I got it after I saw Jennifer McGuire use it in a teaching video.

I've also tried WPlus9's white pigment ink, and it's good. But I think I like the Memories better.

Have not tried Fresh Snow. I order from PTI all the time though not their inks (but stamps and paper galore). I tried their dye inks and was not really impressed, so never thought to try the white. Maybe next time I will.

Still, if I want it really white, I emboss. Stampendous Detail White.
Reply With Quote Likes