Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new at scrapbooking

hi,everyone,i am new with scrapbooking,and i still do not how to get basic using basic materials for my scrapbooking projects,can anybody give me some suggestions for me,what basic supplies should i buy,and what projects are suitable for me,any advice on scrapbooking are good,thanks very much.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2012, 03:02 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

paper trimmer
scissors
solid color cardstock
patterned paper
photos
a good journaling pen
album for finished pages

That's all you need to get started. To add embellishments to your pages, stamps and ink are great. Stencils, stamps and stickers work for titles. I suggest you check out some books or magazines and see what you like then go shopping. Some things are long-term investments such as punches and stamps so purchase wisely, you don't need to buy it all.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2012, 04:57 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Great suggestions Mary Beth. Also if you have a local scrapbook store a class may help too. That way you can try before you buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Good suggestions so far. You will also need a good acid-free adhesive. There are so many in the stores that it can get very confusing. I would start out with a small double-sided tape runner that is refillable. Have fun, and welcome to the wonderful (and sometimes crazy) world of scrapbooking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #5  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheranView Post
paper trimmer
scissors
solid color cardstock
patterned paper
photos
a good journaling pen
album for finished pages

That's all you need to get started. To add embellishments to your pages, stamps and ink are great. Stencils, stamps and stickers work for titles. I suggest you check out some books or magazines and see what you like then go shopping. Some things are long-term investments such as punches and stamps so purchase wisely, you don't need to buy it all.
Mary Beth
dear Mary Beth,
thank you very much for your suggestions,and by the way,any good supplier you know? i think shopping online is more cheaper and reasonably for new at scrapbooking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #6  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiz2003View Post
Great suggestions Mary Beth. Also if you have a local scrapbook store a class may help too. That way you can try before you buy.
sounds like a good idea,but i can not find news about the scrapbooking class
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2012, 04:51 AM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Many stores and direct sales companies ( like Stampin' Up!, Creative Menories or Close to My Heart) sell kits that have coordinating papers (solid and patterned) as well as embellishments. They're a nice way to start. They often have ideas for layouts too. The Scrapbooking Challenges forum here on Splitcoast has lots of great ideas for getting started too - pick a challenge and see what you can do with it. Be brave and be kind to yourself as you learn. Don't buy too much to start or you'll just be overwhelmed more!

Paper Crafty Goals for 2013: 50/135 pages and 185/75 cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #8  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3FriesView Post
Many stores and direct sales companies ( like Stampin' Up!, Creative Menories or Close to My Heart) sell kits that have coordinating papers (solid and patterned) as well as embellishments. They're a nice way to start. They often have ideas for layouts too. The Scrapbooking Challenges forum here on Splitcoast has lots of great ideas for getting started too - pick a challenge and see what you can do with it. Be brave and be kind to yourself as you learn. Don't buy too much to start or you'll just be overwhelmed more!
any stores and companies can be suggested? at affordable price,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by clairehobbyView Post
any stores and companies can be suggested? at affordable price,
It might help to start with a scrapbooking kit; they come with coordinating papers and some embellishments. If you buy one, all you really need is adhesive and a paper trimmer.

They can be purchased with 40% off coupons at Hobby Lobby, JoAnns or Michaels. (At hobbylobby.com you can print out a coupon to use each week; they are also in some Sunday papers. For JoAnns, sign up for coupons to come in the mail or email, or watch your newspaper fliers. Michael's takes competitor's coupons.

You might enjoy some books about scrapbooking. Some of my favorites are:

The Big Picture by Stacy Julian
Photo Freedom by Stacy Julian
Page Maps by Becky Fleck
Creative Sketches by Becky Higgins

This website might help with the basics of design.

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

You might also look briefly online for ideas for spreads once you get all your supplies. That really helps me get started.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Welcome to the wonderful world of Scrapbooking, LOL! You tube is a really good site to look for videos to get started scrapbooking. Finding a local cropper and/or Stampin UP scrapper or Creative Memories consultant might be helpful as well. You can go to any of there sites and find a local person that would be willing to help you get started.

I had always just gone away for 12 hr crops until a friend introduced me to weekend long crops that was all she wrote. Now, I'm gone 7 weekends a year scrapbooking and at least 1/2 of them our Thursday - Sunday. You learn so much when you go to local and away crops, too.

clairehobby where do you live?

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I began scrapbooking almost 20 years ago (UGH, that went by way too fast) and pretty much the only vendor was Creative Memories. The first demo I had was not a fit (hobby demo, had a full-time job) but I found another one that I'm still using. I went to many of her three-four hour workshops and learned something new every time. I paid more for the products than I would have if I bought (with a coupon) at a big store, and I have no regrets since I learned so much from her that I would not have learned had I purchased at a big store. I still use the CM cutting systems (guillotine, trimmer, circles & ovals) every day.
It will take you a bit to discover your own style, so be restrained on buying until you know what you like (and will use). You may want to make a few smaller albums at first. I like the CM albums because I think they look so elegant sitting on my shelf. After I've spent so much time and money, I don't want them to look cheap. There are so many options now, you can find so many wonderful products now, even at the big stores. Wow, I was very blessed not to have too many choices when I started out! Ha! Best of luck to you and enjoy. Oh, and don't be afraid to try digi too
Reply With Quote Likes