Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-05-2012, 03:29 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help...what adhesive do I use for canvas

Please, can someone help me. I'm making a shadow box with my first grandchild's footprints painted on a 4x4 canvas. I need to find a nice piece of paper for the background & then adhere the canvas to the center of the
8x8 shadowbox backing. I don't know what adhesive to use to make sure this canvas does not fall off, I think I need something strong right? What would you use? Thanks for your help.

My Blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2012, 05:52 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Any type of liquid adhesive, you will run the risk of it seeping thru the canvas and leaving spots. So, liquid=bad

You could run the canvas thru a xyron, and then make sure to burnish well once it's positioned on the backing paper. I'd probably also put it under a book and weight it down for a day or so, just to give the adhesive time to really cure.

What I probably would do is sew the canvas to the backing paper with some sort of interfacing behind the paper for stability - even if you're using a cardstock-weight backing paper, I'd probably add the interfacing. I'd choose the sewing because if somewhere down the road I want to change the backing paper or turn the canvas into a block for a quilt or a pillow, it will be much easier to pick out the stitches that to try and remove the adhesive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2012, 07:24 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

The 4x4 canvas is on a wood frame so running it through a Xyron or a sewing machine is not an option. The wooden frame is about 1/4" high.

This is the canvas Artist's Loft

This is the project idea Mother's Day Mounted Canvas Footprint Shadow Box

Mine is a white shadowbox, I painted my canvas pink & the footprints are gray. Don't have the background paper yet.

It says use adhesive tape but I don't know if that will be strong enough. Anyone ever make something like this?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking at the picture, have you considered a spray adhesive? I know Crafters Companion have a USA website, and I can vouch for their Permanent Spray Adhesive, Stick & Stay , I use it all the time. Its perfect for things like this, or for lacy die cuts that you want to adhere. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry! For some reason, I was picturing just a piece of canvas, not an actual artist's canvas

I think that score-tape would be strong enough to hold that; so would ATG adhesive (I think). Regular double-stick tape, not so much. What I'd probably do with it, once it's stuck down, is use a stapler from the backside of the backing paper and go into the frame of the canvas to help hold it in place. One thing I would not use is the foam mounting tape you can buy. That stuff holds really well to start, but in my experience it dries out after a while and starts to let loose. Otherwise, try this: Loctite Power Grab Clear Outdoor Mounting Tape from Loctite Adhesives . We've used it at work to hold art to the walls and it won't come down without pulling the paint with it.

Another thing that would work is a hot glue gun. If you use the hot-melt sticks (not the low-temp), they're pretty strong. You just want to be careful so that you don't apply so much that it oozes out around the edges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 03:15 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You probably figured it out by now? Can you tell us what worked?

I think those Artist's Loft canvases have gesso on them, but the package should say if it is ready for paint? I have used Gel Medium as an adhesive on canvas. Collage Pauge or Mod Podge would work well too. Just make sure you coat evenly.

I imagine you solved this days ago and would love to know how you were able to solve it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 03:31 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by texemoView Post
You probably figured it out by now? Can you tell us what worked?

I think those Artist's Loft canvases have gesso on them, but the package should say if it is ready for paint? I have used Gel Medium as an adhesive on canvas. Collage Pauge or Mod Podge would work well too. Just make sure you coat evenly.

I imagine you solved this days ago and would love to know how you were able to solve it?
I have not done it, the canvas is painted & I painted my granddaughter's feet & pressed them to the canvas when she was 2 weeks old (now she is 4 months) but I have not decided or bought the background paper for the shadowbox yet. I want to make sure the canvas stays in place in the frame before I finish the project. I'm new to this type of project, never attempted this before so I'm afraid to mess it up. I will probably email a blog friend of mine after the holidays for her input, I think she made something similar before & maybe she knows what I can use. Thanks for all your replys, I appreciate it.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 03:45 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh, I gotcha! Somehow I thought you wanted to glue paper to the canvas. So you want to glue the canvas to your shadow box. I have not done that but would recommend a generous coat of Helmar 450 Quick Dry Adhesive. I love the stuff. It works for fabric, paper, wood and it is a good strong bond. It should be strong enough to hold the weight of the canvas in place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 04:33 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

glue dots probably would work just fine, as long as the paper is adhered well.

The lesson from Charlie Brown: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 05:42 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I really like Beacon 3-in-1 glue. It's stringy, but holds very well.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 06:46 AM   #11  
Inking Addict

Are you comfortable using a drill or electric screwdriver? You might try 2 small screws through the back. Or incorporate a decorative element on the front like ribbon across the corners of the small canvas and held to the backing material with brads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #12  
Inking Addict

Default Sticky strip

From reading the project, it sounds like you need some Sticky Strip type adhesive. It's a double sided tape but VERY strong. I know you can get it from many places, but that's what it's called from SU. There are different widths too, but they all have a reddish colored backing. You'd simply cut it to size, adhere to each of the four edges, remove the backing, then stick in your shadow box.

My Blog - Shoebox Stampers
There are no mistakes in stamping,
just embellishment opportunities!
Reply With Quote Likes