Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-16-2012, 07:29 AM   #1  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow THE GYPSY SOULS ~ CHAT AND INFORMATIONAL THREAD!

TEAPOT TUESDAY ~ THE GYPSY SOULS
CHAT AND INFORMATIONAL THREAD!

This is my story!

1. If you are here, you have most likely signed up to be a member of the separate Teapot Tuesday e-mail group called The Gypsy Souls whose purpose is to support and brighten the days of Gypsy and his friend Sol, two previous Teapot Tuesday Destination Station recipients.

2. If you are not a member of this group and are intrigued by the idea, you can click on these two links to become familiar with their story.

Destination Station Post for Gypsy.

Destination Station Post for Sol.

3. Our mission is to make a difference in the lives of these two elderly gentlemen since Gypsy has no family whatsoever and Sol does but they are not *in his life* which in my opinion makes the situation worse.

4. This thread will be used to chat, to post updates on Gypsy's wheel chair situation, and post card drives or other things which might assist Charlene in her mission to help (wheelchair) and brighten the lives (be their family!) of these two elderly gentlemen.

5. Please remember when writing a greeting inside your cards to Gypsy and Sol, to print your messages in large letters so they won't have to struggle to read small print. Also, if you have made a special card for either of them and have uploaded it to your gallery, please use the keyword GYPSYSOULS. That way we can all do a search and see what *the boys* are receiving!

6. If you would like to sign up for this group, send me or Charlene (crystaldolphins) a pm or post a request to be added to the email group in this thread.

Thank you all for everything you do!

Special Note:

Here are the mailing addresses for
your convenience when sending a card.

Gypsy's Full Name and Address:

Alicide Mailloux
Marion Villa LT Care Facility
Rm 209B
P.O. Box 5777, Stn B
200 College Ave.
London, ON
N6A 4V2
Canada

Sol's Full Name and Address:

Sol Khamo
Marion Villa LT Care Facility
Rm Y211A
P.O. Box 5777, Stn B
200 College Ave.
London, ON
N6A 4V2
Canada

Last edited by Mothermark; 11-17-2012 at 03:25 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for setting this up Cindy and thanks to everyone who is a member and is keeping Gypsy and Sol in your thoughts and on your mailing list.

Sharon is still away and won't be returning until after Gypsy's birthday, which is November 20th. She'll give me an update when she returns, on how he enjoyed his cards!

I just wanted to point out that you do not have to upload the cards you make for Gypsy or Sol, nor do you have to leave a message that you did. This is all completely optional and I asked Cindy to create this thread more for my convenience (and hers!) If you WANT to upload your cards, that's great and if you use the keyword 'Gypsysouls' then they will be easily accessed.

I do have some info to post, which I will do as soon as I can. The info is not new and the bottom line is that Gypsy still does not have his chair back!

Thanks again for all you do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2012, 04:18 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

What a great idea to start this thread! I got the B card sent off to Gypsy on Tuesday (11- 13), hopefully in time for his birthday.

Have fun and be creative!

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

thanks for this post...glad we have a place to get updates....I've got my Christmas cards for them done and need to get to post office...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2012, 04:26 AM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

Hi there....

Just wanted to give you a heads up that Rita (scootsv) send out a card and it was returned. We are hoping that it was not because Gypsy has been moved out of the facility or that his mail is being returned for one reason or another. I believe Rita checked her address...and it was correct....

So, we will keep you updated here...please let us know if you experience any problems with cards coming back to you. Charlene is checking on the situation as well.

Hugs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2012, 04:30 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 595 Likes on 369 Posts

Cindy, I sent a card to Gypsy and it was not returned. Seeing as I lived only a 2 hour drive from London, and I sent it Nov. 15, it should have come back to me already, if it couldn't be delivered.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

Hi Ina! That is good news! Maybe Rita's is an isolated situation. I sent one for his birthday as well...and its not come back....hopefully it won't! Thank YOU!

Hugs...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Hi everyone:
I set this thread to receive emails every time someone posts but I haven't been getting them - sorry about that!

I don't have much of an update as I am waiting to hear from Sharon upon her return from her trip.

With regard to Rita's card - I still don't know what happened. I called and spoke to the switchboard operator and I confirmed 4 times! that Gypsy is still there, he has not moved . . . he is ABSOLUTELY still there. Maybe a new person was sorting mail and doesn't know him by Alicide - I don't know. If anyone else experiences this, please post here or pm me as it will be dealt with.

I'm not sure when Sharon returns exactly but I'm sure it will take her a bit to get caught up on life and Gypsy's situation. I will post an updated update as soon as I know anything.

Life got a little crazy for me through the summer and fall. The last info I know is that a claim has been filed with Human Rights, a complaint was made against the pro bono lawyer through the Law Society. The Human Rights claim had just been filed so no update on that. The Law Society made promises about response dates but did not follow through despite numerous attempts to get answers.

One of the local MPP offices (Minister of Parliament - Canadian political position), told Sharon that they were told to get their nose out of it and she should too.

The last info I know is that Gypsy still does not have his wheelchair back. This update is as of 6 weeks ago.

Thanks to everyone for your ongoing commitment to Gypsy and Sol. It warms my heart to hear 'I just mailed Gypsy's bday card', 'Christmas cards are ready to be mailed', etc. We are the only people who have not forgotten these 2 gentlemen!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Heart

Charlene,
thanks for the update. So far, no returns for me. It's a long address to write on an envelope, so here's an idea for the Gypsy Sol sisters ... just copy and past the addresses from post #1 into your word program and print out on a big label or even just a sheet of printer paper, then cut and tape to the envie.
It's sure to be easier to read by whomever is doing the mail sorting at the facility.
I've done it and it sure is easier than trying to squeeze that long address on the envie.

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Thanks Jennifer - definitely a great idea. I have created labels for both Sol and Gypsy separately. I'm attaching 4 files. 2 each for Gypsy and Sol. The only difference between the files is that I have added 'Canada' in the files called . . . 'from U.S.' If you have access to label forms, they print on Avery 5160. If not, if you print them on a piece of paper and cut out, it will save you having to write out the addresses. I should have done this a long time ago!

If anyone prefers these in .pdf please let me know. I have saved them in the older word .doc format. Hopefully they come through ok - they work on my system

Sorry I can't update post #1 as it was written by Cindy so I thought I would include important info, along with the mailing labels all in one post!

Alicide (Gypsy) - birthday - November 20. He turned 70 in 2012
Likes: hockey, wrestling, classic cars, dogs, cats, food!, flea markets. Anything scripture.
Please make pkgs easy to open. Reminder that Gypsy is paralyzed on his left side - very difficult to open a pkg that is taped really tight. Use larger font also, so he can read whatever you have written

Sol - birthday - July 1 - close to same age as Gypsy

Prayers, positive thoughts and words of encouragement are all welcome. Anything that you send will be appreciated. I don't get much for updates on Sol, however Gypsy having very difficult time. The Human Rights Tribunal is not until May or June (date not scheduled yet). Sharon also very nervous
Attached Files
File Type: doc 5160 Labels-Gypsy.doc (42.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: doc 5160 Labels-Gypsy-from U.S..doc (43.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: doc 5160 Labels-Sol.doc (42.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: doc 5160 Labels-Sol-from U.S..doc (43.5 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by crystaldolphins; 02-07-2013 at 06:33 AM.. Reason: Updating info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #11  

Hey Charlene....thx for the forms...that will certainly make things easier....my writing is usually legible but when tired.....well....not so much....and just in time to get to post office in morning too....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Charlene, thanks for the addresses for the boys. I sent Gypsy's BD card and it hasn't been returned. I have Christmas cards ready for both.

First Great Grandchild
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Glad they'll be helpful Bev and Sheri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Bev, you are so thoughtful! It never even occurred to me that they would need Christmas cards! Putting it on my list!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Charlene, thank you for the labels. I would have included the ones I have made, but they are on a very old computer (199. I use a full sheet of label paper and cut to size.
I'm impressed that you got the whole thing on a 5160 label. Good thing they are longer. I used to use them at work. Now I try to use smaller ones. I do have to say, it's so much easier than writing it out!

How funny, the 8 come out to be a smiley face! That's 1998.

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 06:59 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I forget about this thread. I have also neglected Gypsy and Sol - but here is a Christmas card. I will do another soon.

Christmas Card for Gypsy by etsdas - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

No worries Dorothy (or anyone else!) This isn't meant to be a stressful thing or an obligation and he is getting cards . . . which brings me to a bit of an update

My friend Sharon is back from her cruise (and she had a wonderful time)!

She doesn't hear feedback on Sol anymore so I can't provide any kind of update (her relationship has always been with Gypsy but if she goes to visit she tries to look in on Sol). It has been a rough year for him too.

I want to extend huge, huge thank yous to each and every one of you who have Gypsy and Sol in your thoughts and prayers. Gypsy said he rec'd a bunch of cards while Sharon was away and he tries to describe each one to her and reads some of what we write. When she goes to visit, she gets to see them. I know that we all hear many stories of how much the cards mean to people and Gypsy is at the top of that list. He is having a very, very difficult time and is very down - our cards let him know that he is not forgotten and there are all these crazy teapotters who continue to write to him!

He is getting his mail although each envelope is missing a corner when he gets it . . . if you haven't guessed, the staff are really enjoying the stamps that you are all placing on the envelopes! Please know that I'm not saying this lightly and I mentioned to Sharon about me writing a letter to the staff but she has asked me not to. This issue was brought to the attention of the staff by Sharon's sister (she was a witness to the envelopes) and I'm not sure if it has stopped. The good news is that they aren't opening the envelopes!

While she was away, the antics have continued. They hide his clothese, they put them out of reach, they don't wash them, they strip his bed then don't come back to make it. An no, in case you are trying to give them the benefit-of-the doubt, they don't deserve it - they are doing it ALL on purpose. It is all because he dared to question the decision about not returning his wheelchair. I can't recall who it was but someone approached Gypsy and said that a lawyer said it was ok to have the geriatric assessment. I'm not sure how much I have posted about this, but they have a letter from a previous lawyer saying that Gypsy does not have to do it. They raised the issue again while Sharon was away (on purpose). We know the intent is to manipulate the results and outcome to make him look like either a crazy person or to have him labelled. I know this all sounds a bit cloak-and-dagger - please know that drama is something I'm not a big fan of . . . I'm letting you all know what I know.

Gypsy does not have his motorized wheelchair back. There is a Human Rights court date set for the spring that Sharon and Gypsy both have to attend - it is apparently a 3-day ordeal. Gypsy asked her what happens in the meantime and also if they don't get a positive result . . . she doesn't know what to tell him!

The story continues to brake my heart and Gypsy is at an all-time-low. He is pretty much a hostage there without his wheelchair and there is fear around what will happen if he moves, if they'll send him to tim-buck-too and basically if he'll be black-listed. I'm sorry that this is the update but it is.

I am trying to find out if there's a contact at a care facility that I can ask some really direct questions of to see if the above fears have foundation. The healthcare system in the area where he is, is all part of the same system so it's difficult to get honest answers from anywhere within that system.

One last thing: I made a couple of suggestions on what I could still do (who to contact, etc.) and Sharon has asked me to hold off because of this Human Rights case pending. When she speaks to the lawyer in the next few weeks, she is going to ask if there is anything we can do in the meantime or better yet, if we do anything, will it jeopardize this case. I don't think Gypsy can handle much more at this point.

As you can see, our cards really do help and really do make a difference. My mom and dad could see in the things people wrote to them, what a caring and awesome group we all are. Amen and big hugs to you all . . . Charlene
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

It is good to know that they (facility caregivers (?)) are not opening the men's mail. Let them have the stamps, for we know the as not nice people! In this country, this would be called elder abuse and is punishable. All of this makes me glad to be a part of the Gypsy Sol Sisters!

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #19  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

Oh my goodness Charlene......what craziness! Its' so darn sad.....I feel like Jennifer, let them have the stinkin' stamps! Are you kidding me? Unbelievable......

But, at least he is getting the cards...I have worried about them intercepting his mail but honestly if they do that? That is a crime is it not? I think they could REALLY get in trouble there!!

After reading this, I will get another card out to Gypsy.....a Christmas card.....it takes quite some time to get there but hopefully it will arrive on a day when he needs a little cheer!

Hugs to you....thank you for the update....I am glad our cards are helping lift his spirits....at least he has *family* now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #20  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystaldolphinsView Post
Thanks Jennifer - definitely a great idea. I have created labels for both Sol and Gypsy separately. I'm attaching 4 files. 2 each for Gypsy and Sol. The only difference between the files is that I have added 'Canada' in the files called . . . 'from U.S.' If you have access to label forms, they print on Avery 5160. If not, if you print them on a piece of paper and cut out, it will save you having to write out the addresses. I should have done this a long time ago!

If anyone prefers these in .pdf please let me know. I have saved them in the older word .doc format. Hopefully they come through ok - they work on my system
Geeze! I missed this! How nice of you!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2012, 06:38 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the labels.
Here is my card for Sol
Merry Christmas, Sol by etsdas - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by MothermarkView Post
Oh my goodness Charlene......what craziness! Its' so darn sad.....I feel like Jennifer, let them have the stinkin' stamps! Are you kidding me? Unbelievable......

But, at least he is getting the cards...I have worried about them intercepting his mail but honestly if they do that? That is a crime is it not? I think they could REALLY get in trouble there!!

After reading this, I will get another card out to Gypsy.....a Christmas card.....it takes quite some time to get there but hopefully it will arrive on a day when he needs a little cheer!

Hugs to you....thank you for the update....I am glad our cards are helping lift his spirits....at least he has *family* now!
Yes, they are at least getting the cards and Gypsy absolutely loves, loves, loves them!

Tampering with mail is a crime and most of the things they do to Gypsy at this LTC facility are elder abuse and they are a crime in Canada too. Quite frankly, I'm so disgusted with the lack of action by our government and our healthcare system but nothing seems to make anyone take action, thus the Human Rights case . . . I have never been involved in anything like this before, and the simple truth is, proving things and getting people, organizations, etc. to take action are 2 completely different things. Anyway, just wanted to make it clear that this isn't acceptable behaviour in Canada - we just can't get anyone to take action!

Thanks to anyone who sends cards out - please don't worry if they are late . . . I always believe they will arrive at the perfect time!

Last edited by crystaldolphins; 01-30-2013 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: changed Sol's name to Gypsy in 2 spots
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am mailing a card to both Sol and Gypsy tomorrow. The last time I did, it came back as undeliverable, and I resent them and they both went through. I do not understand!

CCC, MMTPT, QFTD156, Cards for a Cause

Rita/scootsv
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by scootsvView Post
I am mailing a card to both Sol and Gypsy tomorrow. The last time I did, it came back as undeliverable, and I resent them and they both went through. I do not understand!
At this point, I'm sure it was just a mistake on someone's part. I haven't heard of any others being returned. I haven't had any issues and I know for sure they are both still there! Please do let me know if you have any issue and I will bring it up to Sharon again. I will also send you some U.S. stamps if it happens again. Thanks for sending the cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the offer, if they do not go, but I am being optimistic that all will go right this time. If not, no stamps needed! Just the luck of the mail! Most of the time it IS GOOD!

CCC, MMTPT, QFTD156, Cards for a Cause

Rita/scootsv
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #26  

Charlene...is Valentines Day celebrated there? Was thinking about my next cards to send and since it's right around the corner....

and I will get an answer to PM later...also have a couple that want to be added to list...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #27  

also for those of us that are scatterbrained like me...would you mind adding a list of their fave things and their birthday to one of the first posts so we can find it when I can't find the back of the envelope I originally wrote it on?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes, Valentine's Day is celebrated in Canada!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 06:01 AM   #29  

Thx Ina..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #30  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

Put a Valentines Card in the mail today....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for responding Ina and thanks to everyone sending Valentine's Day cards!

Sheri, yes, I will put something together about birthdays and fav things and let everyone know where I put it. Birthdays are Nov and July so no worries about missing either. I'll get something posted on the weekend if not before as I have to go through all my 'ahem' envelope and sticky notes to put something together!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 02:07 PM   #32  

LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Here is my card to cheer Gypsy Up!

Gypsy Souls: Wheeeeeeeee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2013, 06:18 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Thanks for responding Ina and thanks to everyone sending Valentine's Day cards!

Sheri, yes, I will put something together about birthdays and fav things and let everyone know where I put it. Birthdays are Nov and July so no worries about missing either. I'll get something posted on the weekend if not before as I have to go through all my 'ahem' envelope and sticky notes to put something together!!

Thank you!

You mean I am not the only one with a desk full of scraps of paper and sticky notes? When you get yours together, could you please come and organize mine???

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 06:10 AM   #35  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by etsdasView Post
Thank you!

You mean I am not the only one with a desk full of scraps of paper and sticky notes? When you get yours together, could you please come and organize mine???
Oh Dorothy - you definitely would not want me to even try to organize paper for you! My career has been in admin and I'm a paperwork nightmare (however, I always know where things are - just a takes a minute to find them!!) I even had one boss who had the nerve to complain about my messy desk! Can't really repeat my response . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 07:02 AM   #36  
Mad Swapper

Default Important info

Sorry it has taken so long to get this info posted. I have included some important notes in post #10, which is the same post that I included the address files.

Link is here: Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Cindy's original post #1 is here: Forums at Splitcoaststampers

If you think I've missed anything please let me know and I'll add it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Red face

Quote:

Oh Dorothy - you definitely would not want me to even try to organize paper for you! My career has been in admin and I'm a paperwork nightmare (however, I always know where things are - just a takes a minute to find them!!) I even had one boss who had the nerve to complain about my messy desk! Can't really repeat my response . . .
I used to work with a lady that had a desk as you describe. I always hated to have to find something in her disorganization. Like you, she knew where everything was. When we'd get it all organized, she couldn't find anything. So rest assured, there is a method to your madness! :grin:

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #38  

thx Charlene for the links...I never did find that envelope....sheesh...maybe I should clean...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #39  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by mother's daughterView Post
I used to work with a lady that had a desk as you describe. I always hated to have to find something in her disorganization. Like you, she knew where everything was. When we'd get it all organized, she couldn't find anything. So rest assured, there is a method to your madness! :grin:
ha ha! yup, I sure understand that and when I do organize, I'm the same way - can't find a darned thing! There has to be a happy medium somewhere (although I do secretly like it that people aren't likely to go searching on my desk!!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

I with you Charlene..........my desks and stamping areas are messy. but I can usually find things pretty fast, unless I am forced to clean up in a hurry, like today. Then things start to go missing. Today my DD called to say my her grandmother-in-law passed away, and seeing as she was in a nursing home near me, and my daughter lives in the Ottawa valley, they are coming to stay with me for a few days. Looking forward to seeing my little grandson!
Reply With Quote Likes