Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motivation and Inspiration

I have lost my motivation to craft. I know I can't be the only one this has happened to. Anyone that has ever lost their motivation? How did you get that back? I've hardly made anything in the past 2 years! :confused:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyndi_RayView Post
I have lost my motivation to craft. I know I can't be the only one this has happened to. Anyone that has ever lost their motivation? How did you get that back? I've hardly made anything in the past 2 years! :confused:

You are not alone....I havent crafted apart from a couple of cards all year..I avoid my craft room like the plague..it just depresses me to look at all my stuff and know I just 'can't be bothered' with any of it....

I have to get my backside in gear to make some Christmas and Birthday cards and I am procrastinating so badly at the moment, but I know I am just going to have to force myself to do it in the next day or two.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I know!! I HATE it!! I used to have so much fun in my own little crafting world!! And now it's gone... Well at least the WANT to get back into is there, now I just to get the motivation back, instead of laying on the couch after work all night!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

You've got some company in me! I just don't care about crafting at this time and I'm ok with that. I go through this periodically especially when I don't feel like my skill level is progressing. But then one day I get in the mood and I'm back at it. So I say don't feel bad...you just might get that crazy card crafting urge again
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Look at all of these wonderful Gift tags.Find some you like to start making some for Christmas. CASEing is a great place to start again

Gift tags don't take long and are fun to make

Gift tags - Homemade Cards, Rubber Stamp Art, & Paper Crafts - Splitcoaststampers.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

I had a few years away from stamping and when I started really crafting again, I turned to the gallery here for inspiration. Sketch challenges especially help when I get in a rut, and I always love to look in the gallery and on blogs or Pinterest for cards to CASE. I'd suggesting finding something you can create in one short session (the gift tags idea is a good one) so you don't feel overwhelmed going back into it. Sometimes just successfully completing one card helps me feel accomplished again and gets me back in the groove. Good luck!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2012, 05:45 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Ok, just a question... what is CASEing?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2012, 06:05 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

Quote:

Ok, just a question... what is CASEing?
It has a couple of alternative breakdowns of the letters - Copy And Share Everything is one, Copy and Selectively Edit is another and I'm sure I've seen more. Basically, though, it's just finding a card you like that inspires you and making a card similar to it with your own equivalent or substituted supplies. So you don't have to come up with the inspiration yourself, it gives you a bit of a kick-start.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2012, 06:14 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi again, Cyndi. I can't help but think your saying that you've lost your creative mojo is connected to what you've said in your other thread about having an unsupportive boyfriend; a boyfriend who "jokingly" insults what you make. Food for thought, my friend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

No, my motivation disappeared after my divorce a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I could post at length and from experience about divorce and how people tend to think the hard part is the divorce proceeding itself but that there is actually a tremendous amount of internal stuff that happens when it's all over, when you think you're supposed to be getting back to normal, but I don't know your situation and it doesn't really matter. All that matters is that you want to get back into crafting and you are feeling frustrated.

Why don't you make a commitment to do one of the challenges every week? I do the color challenge, and sometimes it takes me days to get anything I like well enough to upload. Usually I go through a predictable emotional arc - hating the colors (or one of the colors), starting a lot of things that look awful to me, feeling like I can't do it, feeling like I have to do it, noticing that something I did doesn't look so very awful, and slowly feeling my way into a satisfying direction, which culminates in a card. Doing this every week ensures that I make at least one card a week, even on weeks when I feel uncreative. If I don't have an occasion coming up, I make a birthday card, because those are always useful to have on hand.

Then you upload and get feedback, and it's very encouraging.

That being said, I think too many of look at the "professionals" among us and the rate at which they turn out great cards and think we are falling short if we aren't brimming over with ideas all the time.

So I guess I'm saying maybe you should take the pressure off yourself by not expecting to be a fount of creativity 24/7 and then put some pressure on yourself in a playful way by trying a weekly challenge.

If you do the color challenge I promise I'll post a comment!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Hang in there, Cyndi. Be comforted in the fact your craft is there for you when you are ready. Better days are coming, better days are coming...........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

I agree with Rachel that while we see some gorgeous artwork on here that can be inspiring, it can also be intimidating sometimes. We all have different styles and levels of experience and preferences, and what I love about this community is that so many people will take the time to encourage each other. I get inspired by looking at the gallery and leaving comments for others, and even when I'm not feeling creative I will sit down and go through the gallery. Maybe that's a good place to start...I feel like good ideas and good creative mojo rub off on me when I spend a little time viewing others' galleries and leaving them some comments and support. Just another idea for you!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you Jeanne, i hope so!

And yes Rachel, the actual divorce was a piece of cake compared to the emotional destruction i went through. And am still going through actually!

I have been going through the gallery and looking at some things. Added some inspirational ones to me favorites. I actually sat down and painted today so that actually felt nice. Now i just need to continue it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I've been out of it for a while too. I have so much going on with school and family, I havn't been able to focus. I have 1 more semester and I'm done!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2012, 06:04 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like I'm in good company.......going thro my own trials and tribulations!! Full time night shift and 4 kids suck every last bit of creativity I used to have. A family that thinks it appropriate to pile my stamping/crafting workbench/ desk with anything they don't know where it goes!! So when I MIGHT have 1 precious hour, I spend the first 45 minutes UNLOADING my workspace to even FIND my stamps!!

I'm in a Catch 22: Since I don't have the time and energy to stamp, I quit buying anything new. But when I look at the gallery, everyone has all the newest toys, copics, equipment, dies, etc I just get so discouraged that all my stuff is so old!! I know I know....there are plenty of things I can make that ARE cute without the lastest and greatest products, but its just so discourageing. Sorry for venting........

Cyndi.....I challenge you.....to make ONE card. Just ONE!! Just something that makes you smile!! And i promise to do the same!! PM me your address and I'll send you my little happy card in the mail!!

HUGS!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2012, 07:11 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I accept that challenge! Sending you my address now and PM me yours so I can send you my card

I am the opposite of you, i have some of the latest and greatest but hardly pick them up. I dont buy many dies but i have a Silhouette that i hardly use and several Copics that just sit on my desk looking pretty... I will make sure to use them soon! Maybe you should go out and buy something new and awesome and maybe that will inspire you to use it and incorporate all your existing supplies with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking about what was the last thing I stamped and when I remembered I thought I'd tell you in hopes that you find it inspirational too.

So on my last post I said that my brain is FRIED from kids and work. Well, one thing I LOVE to do is I go through my stash of PRETTY Gift Bags ( you know, that stack we all have, xmas, b-day, whatever) and I make a card to match it. I use the same layout, colors, and theme. TAA DAA...No thinking required! Just follow what it already in front of you!! My sister in law saw one of mine and now she brings me a stack of gift bags to make matching cards (she pays me $2.00/card), and I must say, I do enjoy doing those. Again, NO thinking required and they really turn out nice!!

Just an idea......maybe it will work for someone else who needs a jumpstart too!!! Hmm....maybe I'll make one of those today!!

Also, I started out 10 years ago scrapbooking. I put that aside about 6 years ago and began making cards. Now i have gone back to scrapbooking and really enjoying it again!! Using the stamps on pages as embellishments, stamping my own Designer paper. etc. I made two mini albums this summer, I just made a really cute Cub Scout Album and am jsut starting 2 12x12 Disney albums (one for us and one for my friend). So maybe I should quit beating myself up about the cards and just scrapbook!!!

Last edited by squirrellyshirley; 12-01-2012 at 08:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Yeah I alternate between crafts, one minute I'm scrapbooking, the next I'm cardmaking, then all of a sudden I'm alternating, then I'm making art journals, then I'm painting... who knows!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #20  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

There is a webisite 'onlinecardclasses.com' and one of the online classes is KickStart. I took this online class recently and it's all about how to KickStart your creativity mojo when it cannot be found. Their classes are very reasonably priced and access is available for life. I would urge you to check out the content of the KickStart class. It's hosted by Jennifer McGuire and Kristina Werner and, in addition to them, there are guest hosts who share tricks and tips that they use to kickstart their creative juices (one guest is t!m holz himself!). I got great ideas from this class. Good luck no matter what path you decide upon to get your creative groove back

Just for the record, I am not affiliated with onlinecardclasses in any way. I have taken a lot of their online clases and I just loved every one. I think the quality of these classes is outstanding and I mention them in the SCS tradition of sharing information.

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 12-01-2012 at 03:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have been in your shoes. Several years ago I was an SU demo and had a TON of stamps, plus other stamps from stamp companies. I literally had everything, and then sold it all. I could kick myself. 3 years ago my two dogs died within 6 months of each other and I needed something to keep me busy. I got back into stamping and have a ton of stuff again. Now I'm super busy with my two new puppies and don't stamp a lot. THIS TOO SHALL PASS!!!! I do get some time, here and there, and get to stamp with friends.

First, you will go through this. DO NOT SELL your stuff!!! This will pass.
Second, join a monthly stamp club. This will keep you in the loop of things.
Thirdly, find a great demo, or two, and go to her monthly classes. You will get to make cards, keep you on your toes for when you do get to stamp and you will get to meet new friends.

Hang in there!!! Don't do anything stupid. Keep your stuff. You will do great.

Also, send your cards out... RAK's are terrific!!! People would love to be surprised by your cards. Join the RAK list on here. It's great.

Linda "LZ" Zaworski
* Baltimore, MD *
My Facebook Stamping page/group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/221943441186603/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I guess I'm the only one here that will say don't worry about the "new stuff" especially as you have a die cutting and coloring covered.

I know when I got in a rut in the summer I did a lot of challenges. Some were cards I wouldn't readily use but I thought what the hey - I normally only make cards for people and occasions.

I'm in love with a lot of products at the moment but I'm just tired of having so much stuff. As it breaks my heart to think of getting rid of it I am using my stash - which is a challenge in an of itself. When I have time I also do challenges on websites that give away products. So far no luck but it gives me that extra incentive to try to do something.

This reminds me. I need to clear off my table so I can start a lot of cards and Christmas presents already! I keep thinking about getting myself sorted so I can make cards for the troops/hospice/charity/animal shelter...

Biggest thing is not to be too hard on yourself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Well I guess something is working!! I just finished my daughters tic tac toe board, well mostly finished, I am trying to figure out how I want to embellish it, if at all. And I have a ton more stuff I want to finish! So looks like most of the motivation is there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm thinking maybe make her a little spiral bound scorekeeper and a cute pen to tuck inside of it. I'm getting ready to post pics to my gallery! I wish SCS had a mobile version where I could just upload from my phone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

I did it!!!! I finished it and uploaded it to my gallery!! I am so proud of myself Now I am designing the wall decals for my nieces rooms.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

I'm glad you've found your mojo again!
Reply With Quote Likes