Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tell me about your Silhouette

I am thinking I would like a Silhouette. I have a Cricut and once it dies, I will probably sell my gypsy & cartridges. Their products just don't seem to hold up.

Can I get some feedback from you Silhouette owners? Does it cut Bazzill and SU cardstock cleanly? Do you love it? Do you hate it? Would you buy it again?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2012, 04:22 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Nobody?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2012, 04:32 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Vicki,
I have the Silhouette Cameo which I've owned for about a year and before that I owned the original Silhouette. I love my Cameo-I know it cuts Bazzill cleanly but I don't own any SU paper so can't vouch for that. I love the new ratchet blade and how I can dial it for all my paper choices. I have a subscription to their online store and love the freedom of choice for what designs I want rather than having to buy an entire cartridge where I may only like one or two of the designs.

I love the versatility of the Silhouette for being able to cut fabric and vinyl and Silhouette's customer service is outstanding!
You really can't go wrong owning a Silhouette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Kathy. My Cricut was such a money hog once I couldn't cut my own designs that I gave up in it and went with Silhouette. It has already paid for itself after a year because of the designer software and subscription service. I actually gave my Cricut away and don't regret it one bit.

As for SU paper, I don't have any so I can't say for sure, but after reading a few boards out there, I don't remember anyone saying it doesn't. I know that's not very helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

I have a Silhouette and it cuts SU paper just fine. What I love most is that I don't need to buy cartridges. I can buy only the design I want.

I love my Silhouette.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I love my Cameo and I love the online store for purchasing designs. It cuts Bazzill really well, but you will have to putz with settings when you first get it and until you get a feel for how to set it for each type of paper. Always be sure to do a test cut when you first start so you don't waste a whole sheet of paper if the setting is wrong for the paper you are using. I've never cut SU paper, just Bazzill.

The Print and Cut is so much fun! Yes, I'd definitely buy it again!

Terry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I also love my Cameo. I get my best cuts with the SU cardstock with Bazzill running a close second.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2012, 05:51 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I was gifted a used Silhouette SD and use it for big projects. (don't have a permanent home for it yet) I just cut 50 fancy frames out of Bazzil paper. Had to replace the blade near the end, but it cut beautifully. (Blade setting on 4 and did a double cut). I also designed a small wall quilt in the Design Software and had the machine cut the fabric for that. The quilt turned out perfect and better than if I cut the pieces by hand.

I finally bought some of the Silhouette individual designs after owing it for a year and using free designs all over the place or creating my own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by xayide2View Post
I was gifted a used Silhouette SD and use it for big projects. (don't have a permanent home for it yet) I just cut 50 fancy frames out of Bazzil paper. Had to replace the blade near the end, but it cut beautifully. (Blade setting on 4 and did a double cut). I also designed a small wall quilt in the Design Software and had the machine cut the fabric for that. The quilt turned out perfect and better than if I cut the pieces by hand.

I finally bought some of the Silhouette individual designs after owing it for a year and using free designs all over the place or creating my own.
Which interfacing did you use to cut the quilt pieces? There are two styles on the Silhouette site . One that has heavier adhesive on the back to stick it to another fabric and one that says it is for things to be hand sewn, but not wash.

Thanks
Barbara Jay
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2012, 02:15 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Definitely the Silhouette. I've had my original Silhouette for about 5 years now, still going strong. The beauty of it is the adaptability- you can cut any font on your pc in any size- no more limited to one size. Same goes for all cutting files- you scale them to suit you. Silhouettes customer support is fantastic too, always a plus point for any purchase. Speaking of fonts, remember that there are 'dingbat' fonts too- I have some that are flourishes, bookplates, clock faces, hands etc etc-I can not only cut all these myself now, if you cut them from printer transparency( available from Staples cheaply) you can make your own masks. And I always recommend people to UKScrappers forum - loads of help. tutorials etc, and when you have been a forum member for a month, you have access to the file library, where members post their own designs, which you are free to download & use for personal use, that is, you can use them on cards you sell, but can't cut out & sell the die cuts on their own, or distribute the files, which is fair comment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2012, 03:35 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a Cricut Expression AND an original Silhouette. I bought the Silhouette first and then became afraid of it (it is much more user friendly now!) and bought the Cricut. I use my Cricut but not nearly enough. If I were purchasing now I would go with the Silhouette because of the ability to design/cut what I want and the user friendliness of the software.

And not one to enable but this blog may just be worth checking out.... Crap I've Made -

BTW I love Rochester and I haven't even begun to explore the area completely. Hopefully on a future trip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2012, 05:52 AM   #12  
Glitter Queen

I have an old (6yrs) Xyron Wishblade which is basically the same thing as the Silhouette. I love it, but will be honest, it took some getting used to. I just love the versatility and the fact that you can cut not only any font, but any jpeg image, in any size you want. It cuts SU paper and just about anything else I've tried. Buying replacement blades and cutting mats are the only additional costs, but if you take care of those they will last quite a while. I've heard the newer machines and software are much more user friendly. I will also note that the Xyron customer service has been very helpful...other than trying to get me to upgrade to the newer software...I'm just used to (and comfortable with) the software I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #13  
Glitter Queen

I have an original Silhouette and it prefers thinner cardstock but I know they've made great improvements since then - it's a company that has really put some interest into improving. They have a blog and once a week there is a free design - easy to get, fun to have free. Also, you don't need a design at all, you can draw or write your own and it will cut them - no crazy cartridges! The blog also has detailed tutorials every week. Very helpful. Here's the blog site http://www.google.com/reader/view/#s...osts%2Fdefault
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 05:12 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

I own both a Cricut and Silhouette Cameo. I used the Cricut for years, always searching for the best deals on cartridges and only using a few of the designs. I owned the Design Studio to work with the Cricut also. It became such a hassle to do work arounds and not get the cut you really wanted for example a true circle. The Cameo cuts much cleaner, and intricate cuts. I love my cameo and would recommend. Northridge Publishing Partner is offering a discount code on Silhouette products through 11-30-12.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am seriously considering a Silhouette, and was hoping to get a good deal over Black Friday weekend, but didn't really know what was good - it seems higher priced that the Cricut, which makes sense in that you don't have to buy all the cartridges to get any real use out of it. I have a Cricut (and LOTS of cartridges) and really like it, but love the idea of the freedom of cutting anything with a Silhouette. I'll keep watching this thread and hopefully will find a good deal soon as well. Thanks for everyone's input.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #16  
Inking Addict

Location: still hiding behind my Foster Grants...can I come out yet?!?

try using lilblueboo in the promo code box. It might still work. Educators get a great discount on their products also. I just bought the Portrait for $160.00.

Does anyone know if they put the images on sale frequently? I know they're only a dollar, but they're .50 just now and that's better
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #17  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Cutting Own Designs

Is it possible to program the Silhouette to do the detailed cutting around stamped images? I like to cut out characters and wonder if I can scan a stamp image and trace the outline, then program the machine with that precise cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've had my Cameo for just about a year now. I haven't used it to it's full potential - but I'm working on it! From a group on FB I've learned SO MUCH - enough that I'm cutting vinyl in the most intricate cuts especially for Christmas. In fact, my first vinyl project was a glass Santa block that still blows me away. You can see it here .
I don't have any SU paper so I can't really say much about that, but I've had great luck with some other thicker papers.
I love the ability to use almost any font and have amassed a huge collection. :oops: The files you can buy from the store are economical and cover a huge range of styles. You can download the software & play with it for free if you're worried about learning to use it.
And, yes, you can use it to "die cut" stamped images. I've seen at least one video on Youtube about doing it - but it looked super fiddly to me so I haven't tried it.
I don't think I will EVER regret this purchase. It rocks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by LasSuziqView Post
Is it possible to program the Silhouette to do the detailed cutting around stamped images? I like to cut out characters and wonder if I can scan a stamp image and trace the outline, then program the machine with that precise cut.
I found the video! You can see the post/video here .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

That Santa block is fabulous and congratulations for making something so awesome!

-c

>>>>>>>In fact, my first vinyl project was a glass Santa block that still blows me away. You can see it here
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakhuxelView Post
That Santa block is fabulous and congratulations for making something so awesome!

-c
Thanks! It was *so* much easier than anticipated!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by casmilesView Post
I am seriously considering a Silhouette, and was hoping to get a good deal over Black Friday weekend, but didn't really know what was good - it seems higher priced that the Cricut, which makes sense in that you don't have to buy all the cartridges to get any real use out of it. I have a Cricut (and LOTS of cartridges) and really like it, but love the idea of the freedom of cutting anything with a Silhouette. I'll keep watching this thread and hopefully will find a good deal soon as well. Thanks for everyone's input.
Check out this deal:

The MSRP for the Silhouette Studio� Designer Edition / Silhouette CAMEO� bundle is $349.98, but it is being offered for $229.99 when you use code NORTHRIDGE at checkout.

Silhouette Portrait�
The Silhouette Portrait� is a smaller, lighter version of the popular Silhouette CAMEO� electronic cutting tool. Like the CAMEO, the Portrait connects to your computer, allowing you the freedom to cut all your fonts, download thousands of designs from the Silhouette Online Store, or design shapes of your own with the included software.
The MSRP for the Silhouette Portrait is $199.99, but it is being offered for $179.99 when you use code NORTHRIDGE at checkout. Save 40% on purchases from silhouetteamerica.com

You can find the complete line of Silhouette products at silhouetteamerica.com. Whether you�re looking for cuttable materials, replacement mats and blades, or accessories for your Silhouette electronic cutting tool, you�ll find it there. Just use code NORTHRIDGE at checkout.

*Offers only valid at silhouetteamerica.com. Expires November 30, 2012. Rain checks not available.
40% discount excludes Silhouette CAMEO�, Silhouette Portrait�, downloads, download cards, subscriptions, and gift cards.

I love my Cameo, good luck on whatever you decide.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

There's a contest going on for a Silhouette Cameo and a bundle of extras. Check out the link in post #13. 3 winners - deadline for entering is Dec 5th and winners will be announced Dec 7th. I've got my letter to Santa ready to post!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moolah4View Post
I have an original Silhouette and it prefers thinner cardstock but I know they've made great improvements since then - it's a company that has really put some interest into improving. They have a blog and once a week there is a free design - easy to get, fun to have free. Also, you don't need a design at all, you can draw or write your own and it will cut them - no crazy cartridges! The blog also has detailed tutorials every week. Very helpful. Here's the blog site http://www.google.com/reader/view/#s...osts%2Fdefault
I checked this and it is a site to join "Google Reader" not the Silhouette site
Where will I find the Silhouette contest?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I checked this and it is a site to join "Google Reader" not the Silhouette site
Where will I find the Silhouette contest?
Thanks
Here's the blog entry with the link. Silhouette Blog: Dear Santa Contest...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

Thank you so much asuncionshija for the great answer to my question and also for the link to the video. I was really impressed by what can be done with the Silhouette. I'll follow this thread. Your Santa glass block is great. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
I have a Cricut Expression AND an original Silhouette. I bought the Silhouette first and then became afraid of it (it is much more user friendly now!) and bought the Cricut. I use my Cricut but not nearly enough. If I were purchasing now I would go with the Silhouette because of the ability to design/cut what I want and the user friendliness of the software.

And not one to enable but this blog may just be worth checking out.... Crap I've Made -

BTW I love Rochester and I haven't even begun to explore the area completely. Hopefully on a future trip!

Thanks for your input -- I love Rochester also!! Do you live nearby?? Have you seen the new ArtWalk project in the city?? It's full of eye candy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #28  
Watercolor Wizard

Thanks for posting this information. I am considering ditching my Cricut Expressions (well leaving it in my classroom with the cartridges) and purchasing a Silhouette Cameo for myself at home.

I had posted about this on the scrapbooking thread and was happy to notice the answers here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Enjoying all the info on this thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Like Pearl, I'm enjoying the info. I'm awaiting delivery of my Cameo, maybe here tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed. All information and links are greatly appreciated, you ladies are so wonderfully supportive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Which interfacing did you use to cut the quilt pieces? There are two styles on the Silhouette site . One that has heavier adhesive on the back to stick it to another fabric and one that says it is for things to be hand sewn, but not wash.

Thanks
Barbara Jay
I used the heavier interfacing because I was cutting intricate detailed appliques. I still stitched them down anyway because I still don't trust iron on to stay ironed on. For the pieces that weren't going to be ironed on, in the future I would just get a one sided iron on backing. I tried to iron on freezer paper and then the fabric to the carrier sheet, but it just pulled it off the paper while cutting. You don't have to get the Silhouette brand interfacing, I think any kind would do to make it heavier and stick to the mat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by xayide2View Post
I used the heavier interfacing because I was cutting intricate detailed appliques. I still stitched them down anyway because I still don't trust iron on to stay ironed on. For the pieces that weren't going to be ironed on, in the future I would just get a one sided iron on backing. I tried to iron on freezer paper and then the fabric to the carrier sheet, but it just pulled it off the paper while cutting. You don't have to get the Silhouette brand interfacing, I think any kind would do to make it heavier and stick to the mat.
Thanks !! I want to make some fabric stocking ornaments. I thought it would be easier and quicker to use the Silhouette to cut them out.

I didn't know I could use regular sewing interfacing. The stocking will be sewn and then I am going to glue furry material to the tops .
I ordered the stocking cut file and the fabric blade on the Silhouette Black Friday sale
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

I had an SD (and loved it) and just got the Portrait and it's wonderful! I did usually have to do a double cut on the SD with thicker cs like Bazzil but not with the Portrait. I also love the new mats, they are so much better than the old ones. And it's also quieter. All big pluses in my book. I also have a Cricut and it's nice but I love not having to buy cartridges and the instant gratification of being able to buy and download just one image at a time if I need it is great.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com

Last edited by HeatherHolbrook; 11-30-2012 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have both the Cameo and the Portrait...wanted to compare them both. I also have the upgraded software. I am loving that I do not have to buy cartridges. These machines are awesome. I have 4 mats so I can cut a lot of anything at one time.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2012, 05:09 AM   #35  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Thanks !! I want to make some fabric stocking ornaments. I thought it would be easier and quicker to use the Silhouette to cut them out.

I didn't know I could use regular sewing interfacing. The stocking will be sewn and then I am going to glue furry material to the tops .
I ordered the stocking cut file and the fabric blade on the Silhouette Black Friday sale
I remember in a video they said that the iron on interfacing was to stabilize the fabric when sticking it to the mat so that it doesn't get stretched out of shape putting it on or taking it off. After Christmas I'll post a picture of the quilt I made using the Silhouette. Until then, it's top secret 'til the recipients get their present.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdoyle8View Post
Thanks for your input -- I love Rochester also!! Do you live nearby?? Have you seen the new ArtWalk project in the city?? It's full of eye candy!
Maybe next time! I visit when I drop my eldest off for school. So far my time has been consumed with school things. Hopefully it won't be too snowy this spring I will get a good look around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

My cameo finally arrived! Can't wait to play - got it set up and installed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #38  
Hardware Hotshot

I have only had my Cameo for one week and I am having so much fun with it!!
Good thing I bought an extra blade on the 40% off Silhouette Black Friday sale
It is so easy to set up and use.

I don't have a dedicated scrap room so this will be much more convenient for me than hauling out the Cuttlebug, dies and gear to cut some thing.
I have it on a microwave cart next to my computer at the end of my living room. The microwave cart is on wheels so I can pull it out when I am using the Cameo and allow space behind the machine .

I never thought I would want an electronic die cutting machine, but I have certainly changed my mind since I got this Cameo.

PS Their customer service to great too! I had some "user error" issues in retrieving my cut files . :oops: I sent an email and they got back to me the same day with detailed printed directions on how to retrieve my cut files .

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 12-03-2012 at 04:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ummmmm thanks a lot to the sweet lady who said the downloads were 50% off......i just spent $100.00 but when you think i got 200 new cut files...i am going to be busy...lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 03:33 AM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Silhouette Enablers

Hey Amber, I spent $50.00 on download cards (which I got on a black friday special for $30.00, yeah) spent it all and fortunately my cameo arrived yesterday and spent the $10 card also. Now I have to play and learn how to use them. It really is great when others spead the word about the specials, discounts, tips & tricks. Where would we be without these enablers. :rolleyes:

Last edited by craftykarla; 12-04-2012 at 03:35 AM.. Reason: Added words
Reply With Quote Likes