Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #1  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KNK Max Air 24" vs. Black Cat Cougar Pro 24"

I am going to get an electronic cutter and I have narrowed it down to these two machines.

I would appreciate your feedback re: (1) which of these machines you would buy and (2) why you selected the machine that you did.

I'm doing my homework and I've read SCS threads but I still don't feel that I know enough to make an informed decision between these two machines. Regardless of what machine I decide to buy, my plan is that whatever I buy, it will be the last electronic cutting machine that I buy until it 'dies' LOL.

Thanks so much, in advance, for any help/insight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know much about the Cougar cutters, but I've been an avid KNK cutter fan... I started out with the earlier KNK machines and now I have the MAXX. KNK cutters are very hardy machine and the customer support is awesome. When the new Air MAXX came out I was tempted to buy it...I'm still convincing myself I don't want it!

http://darlenemcg.blogspot.com/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #3  

Thanks so much for your feedback. I had never heard of the Cougar either until I saw it mentioned on an SCS thread a few days ago.

I have seen where folks really like the KNK machines and you have the Maxx - awesome !! And LOl about the Air Maxx - we've all been there reining ourselves in........

I printed the detail spec sheets for both machines yesterday and I guess I'll go down those lists and compare them side-by-side.

Thanks, again, for your kind help. I think it's very valuable to hear from folks who actually have the machines and I appreciate your taking the time to share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it depends on what you plan to use the machine for. Hobby or business, and the program you want to learn and use. I too, have not heard of the Cougar, so I can't really comment on them. But I have an older KnK Element, which I really liked. The support and help is outstanding with the KnK people. There are Yahoo Groups, plenty of sites to get cutting files and help with the machines. The programs are easy enough to learn and help is always nearby. That is so important to me, to be able to get answers quickly and something I can understand too.....lol..lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I don't know much about the Cougar either, but have had a Maxx for several years that I love. The Yahoo groups are helpful and then there's Sandy's blog , which is a wealth of information. She's also wonderful to work with! I love the software, KNK Studio, and/or you can also use MTC software with it.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #6  

it'smefaith: I plan on using this for hobby and hopefully, in the not-too-distant future, for a small business. KnK is sounding better with each response on here. Customer service is so important to me, too. Thanks very much for the information - it is very helpful !

Shelly: Thanks for the Maxx feedback. Again, Maxx is sounding better and better to me. The support and help is invaluable. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2012, 06:47 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

You're welcome! Right now KNK is offering free shipping orders of $50 or more, including cutters. That's a great savings as these machines are heavy.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

@QueenofInkLand: If you're only considering a machine for crafting purposes and perhaps light duty commercial use, there is also the KNK Zing. I'm lusting after this machine and hopefully will be buying one in a few months. Its quite a bit less expensive than the Maxx...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #9  

Well, I compared the specs on the Cougar and the Maxx and the Cougar has more pressure and will also work without a computer BUT (and it's a big but) they got low marks on customer service and support and that is SO important to me so, along with all the help from you guys, I've decided on the Maxx.

Shelly: Thanks for the heads up on the free shipping. I have put a Maxx Air into my cart on knkusa.com. I am going to call them tomorrow with a few questions. I'm getting close to buying this rascal.......LOL........

cat_woman: Thanks very much for that option. It was recommendations from MANY on SCS who love the Zing that introduced me to KNK products. I agree that the Zing is a fabulous machine; I just think that I need to get the Maxx for what I want to do. Thanks for another vote for great KNK products !!

Question:
What software do you guys have on your Maxx machines? The Maxx comes with 'Make the Cut'. I see on their site that the KNK design software is available for purchase (I think it's over $300). I wonder if the KNK design software offers enough to supplement the MTC software to merit spending $300+ for the design software.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have KNK studio and hardly use it since I have Make the Cut. At first it was easier for me to make adjustments in studio because I knew how to...since then I'm getting more comfortable with MTC and I use it to edit.

Personally if I was goingto spend more $$ on software I would look at Adobe Illustrator and only if I planned on drawing new designs from scratch.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2012, 03:00 AM   #11  

Quote:

Originally Posted by darlenemcgView Post
I have KNK studio and hardly use it since I have Make the Cut. At first it was easier for me to make adjustments in studio because I knew how to...since then I'm getting more comfortable with MTC and I use it to edit.

Personally if I was goingto spend more $$ on software I would look at Adobe Illustrator and only if I planned on drawing new designs from scratch.
Awesome - MTC it is. You just saved me a bunch of money on software Thanks very much for your feedback !!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenOfInklandView Post
Question:
What software do you guys have on your Maxx machines? The Maxx comes with 'Make the Cut'. I see on their site that the KNK design software is available for purchase (I think it's over $300). I wonder if the KNK design software offers enough to supplement the MTC software to merit spending $300+ for the design software.......
Just wanted to let you know that the Maxx comes with KNK Studio or MTC, it's in the drop down menu. You can choose either one for the same price to be shipped with Maxx. I have both as I bought MTC to open svgs before it was offered with the Maxx. I have always preferred editing with KNK Studio as it really is an excellent program and I've used it for years. However, I know that MTC has constant updates with new and intuitive features added all the time. I haven't used MTC in a long time (a year or so?) so I can't really comment on the ease of it, but there are a lot of people who love and swear by it.

Last edited by 3 Little Love Bugs; 11-26-2012 at 07:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #13  

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3 Little Love BugsView Post
Just wanted to let you know that the Maxx comes with KNK Studio or MTC, it's in the drop down menu. You can choose either one for the same price to be shipped with Maxx. I have both as I bought MTC to open svgs before it was offered with the Maxx. I have always preferred editing with KNK Studio as it really is an excellent program and I've used it for years. However, I know that MTC has constant updates with new and intuitive features added all the time. I haven't used MTC in a long time (a year or so?) so I can't really comment on the ease of it, but there are a lot of people who love and swear by it.
Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL !!!! I called KNKUSA today and got my questions answered - now I'll have to call them tomorrow about the software haha. The Maxx lets you select software, but the Maxx Air does not allow software selection; Maxx Air specifies that the MTC CD is included.

And just a sidenote, I was wrong on the price above. They actually sell 3 different software items. The KNK Studio is like $139 and MTC they show currently as on sale (I think it was around $60-70). The other software (who in the heck knows what that could be for) is the $399 software - yikes!!

Do you guys think it's necessary to have both KNK Studiio and MTC or would having both be redundant?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #14  

Okay - finally got all of my questions answered by KNK and I just now placed my Maxx Air order with KNKusa. Currently the KNK studio software is not available for the Maxx Air (this software is in development) so that's why the only software for the Maxx air at this time is the MTC cd that is included with the machine. KNK sales did tell me that the KNK Studio and MTC softwares are not redundant. They also told me that the $399 software is for businesses that make signs and such.

Thanks, once more, to ALL of you for really helping me out. This was a big decision to make and I honestly couldn't have done it and felt this confident without your help !! You are appreciated......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Congrats

I just read the max air has more cutting force too! Instead of 950 it's 1500 or something like that.

You're going to love your new cutter

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2012, 02:57 AM   #16  

Quote:

I just read the max air has more cutting force too! Instead of 950 it's 1500 or something like that.

You're going to love your new cutter
Thanks! This is definitely one of the biggest 'one purchase' investments that I've made so far for this art form that I love so much. I think 'the sky is the limit' really applies to this machine. I can't wait for it to get to me now (which I think is hilarious because I have waited for years to buy an electronic cutter). And yes, they just updated the KNKusa website re: the cutting force being 1500.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2012, 05:41 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Thanks! This is definitely one of the biggest 'one purchase' investments that I've made so far for this art form that I love so much. I think 'the sky is the limit' really applies to this machine. I can't wait for it to get to me now (which I think is hilarious because I have waited for years to buy an electronic cutter). And yes, they just updated the KNKusa website re: the cutting force being 1500.
Congrats on getting your new machine! You will love it. I also saw the cutting force at (least) 1500g, that's pretty amazing! Hope it comes quickly!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #18  

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3 Little Love BugsView Post
Congrats on getting your new machine! You will love it. I also saw the cutting force at (least) 1500g, that's pretty amazing! Hope it comes quickly!
Thanks so much, Shelly. Does this make us second cousins or something by proxy as Maxx owners ;) LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2012, 07:46 AM   #19  

Delivery will be next Tuesday barring any unforeseen circumstances (perish the thought!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Thanks so much, Shelly. Does this make us second cousins or something by proxy as Maxx owners ;) LOL
Absolutely! lol! Hopefully Tuesday comes soon for you...having to wait over the weekend would feel like torture for me. :shock: Have fun playing with Mr Maxx!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #21  

Yay, Shelly !
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

You, too, Darlenemcg, it'smefaith, cat_woman..............

Does this make us second cousins or something by proxy as KNK owners/dreamers owners LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #22  

LOLLLLLL - I just had to share. I got my machine set up with the bolt on tables and am learning how to use it now with the test pen.

Well, the first two times I tried to 'cut', my cutting mat shot out from the machine and landed on the floor.

Now I understand why they have you practice with a pen until you get a good understanding of how to use the mat and how things will be cut. I BARELY am getting it, but on the third try I realized a few things I was doing wrong and I did get an arrow to 'cut' (draw) using the test pen.

Getting this one arrow to 'cut' has has taken MANY HOURS of watching videos and reading and I'm exhausted now haha so I'll come back to this and practice some more tomorrow....a victory, no matter how small
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Congrats cuz lol! I can picture the mat flying. The learning curve is going to be well worth it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #24  

Quote:

Congrats cuz lol! I can picture the mat flying. The learning curve is going to be well worth it.
Thanks for the words of encouragement, cuz Practice practice practice...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Sorry I'm late to reply but LOVE my KNK. Yes a big learning curve but customer support is FABULOUS. There are a lot of tutorials and Sandy McCauley answers all questions immediately no matter how long you've owned the machine. Go through their manual then look for free tutorials if you are still stuck. The manual did most of it but Sandy's CD's did the rest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #26  

No problem Nancy ! Thanks for sharing your experience. I still get a good laugh when I remember how the mat flew out of the machine that first day - great memory and there is no where to go but up haha
Reply With Quote Likes