Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-23-2012, 03:59 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Attaching SU rhinestones - what am I doing wrong?

I am trying to attach 3 tiny rhinestones to a card. They are from SU. The directions say to peel off and just be careful not to touch the adhesive on the bottom, but it seems like when I pull them off the sheet the adhesive stays on it because I can see an adhesive dot on the sheet and there's no adhesive on the rhinestone.

What am I doing wrong? And would you use something like Glossy accents to adhere these 3 adhesive-less rhinestones I already pulled off?

Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2012, 05:17 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

When I pull them off without the adhesive dot I either use a small glue dot on it or put it back on the sheet right on top of the adhesive that is left behind and try again.

I will try to explain how I get them off along with the adhesive dot. Instead of pulling them off the sheet, I slide the dot over to the edge of the sheet they are on. I try to get my fingernail under it a bit to get the dot. Some people say they use small twizzers to get under the stone to pull it off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2012, 05:24 AM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use the point of scissors, or the tip of a paper piercing tool to get under the glue dot and lift them off.
The packages seem to vary a bit ... every once in a while there is a package where the glue dots like the paper more than the rhinestones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2012, 05:30 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

No luck. I'm working with the smallest ones, and having no luck whatsoever. The glue dots underneath are just hanging on to the paper. I'm going to have to glue the rhinestones down somehow. Grrrr.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2012, 05:31 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use this little thing called stickem up from the rubber cafe to remove the rhinestones and pearls and it is the best thing. You just push them from the side and it stickem to the little wooden stick and you can move it and place it without losing the adhesive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2012, 05:54 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Glossy Accents will work well, Rachel. I haven't tried the SU brand of rhinestones but with some other self-adhesive brands I find the glue dot can be too big on the smallest ones, and also they're not always as sticky as I like so I usually use a dot of Glossy Accents anyway to be sure they're well stuck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2012, 05:57 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Oh duh, I was trying to use the rhinestones that I now see must be meant to be used in a long line. ?? Like a strip of rhinestones?

When I tried with the same size rhinestones that were spaced out on the sheet, I got the adhesive up okay.

How do you get those ones up that are all close together in lines at the right side of the sheet? That's where I was trying to pull single ones off and having trouble.

Thanks for the tip on Glossy Accents, Sabrina. I have a bottle of that.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 11-23-2012 at 06:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post

How do you get those ones up that are all close together in lines at the right side of the sheet? That's where I was trying to pull single ones off and having trouble.
If you want to use them as singles, rather than as a line, I usually take my scissors and snip in between the stones. Try to snip as close to the stone as you can because there IS a line of adhesive between you. Depending on your project, sometimes you can see that.

But sometimes I just pull them off the adhesive and glue them down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Can you tell I am new to rhinestones?

I also clearly need a studio-dedicated tweezer, obviously. I don't want to use my trusty pink Tweezerman. That's for my eyebrows!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Can you tell I am new to rhinestones?

I also clearly need a studio-dedicated tweezer, obviously. I don't want to use my trusty pink Tweezerman. That's for my eyebrows!
Oh yes, do NOT use your Tweezerman! Those are far too awesome (and pricey!) to ruin on rhinestones.

PM me. I have an extra reverse-action craft tweezers (when you let go, it stays close and you have to squeeze it to open the tips) that I'd be happy to send you. (I had a single one that I bought and then got another when I bought a tool set). They're also a little bigger and harder to lose on your work surface. Not that I would know anything about things like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I use an X-Acto knife to slice the gem from the line of glue and lift it off. I then position it using the knife and press it into place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I LOVE SU Rhinestones, and I especially love those little ones you're having trouble with, because they're all in a line! I just snip them apart with my SU Paper Snips, or other fine detail scissors. Also, you can color them with Sharpies (or Bic MarkIts or other permanent marker) to match your project!

I use my Paper Snips to get the other ones (the not in-a-line ones) off the paper. I open up my scissors and put one scissors blade on each side, resting the blades on the paper. I start to close my scissors and it picks up the rhinestone AND the adhesive. That's my most successful way of getting the glue-dot every time! :-)

Hope this helps! :-)
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

I used my small scissors that way this morning, once I figured out why the ones glued in a line weren't working. It did work fine. But I am going to try a pair of tweezers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #14  

I'm glad they worked for you! I do love SU rhinestones the best! I think they have the best sparkle! With the online extravaganza, I ordered 12 packages of them...couldn't beat a sale on them!!! Do you think I ordered enough?? LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2012, 03:58 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

I do think SU's products are excellent. That's why my first rhinestone order was from them, I knew I would not be disappointed.

But I am wondering - has anyone used actual swarovski flatbacks? I know they are more expensive, but what is the difference in how they look?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2012, 05:39 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm a lover of SU, but not someone who only uses it. I love many, many products. Having said that, I use Swarovski flatbacks all the time. They really do have tons of sparkle. Try some side by side with other brands & I'm sure you'll see what I mean.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2012, 05:50 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Where do you get yours, Paula? I'm keen to get some to compare, and maybe save for my most special projects. How do you attach them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2012, 06:31 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

I get mine from Michael's, but if you google the name you can probably find places online that are less expensive. I attach them with some glue I got years ago that isn't even marketed anymore, but I'm sure something like glossy accents would work too. I just don't think there's any comparison when you see them next to another rhinestone. They look like expensive gems. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Thanks, very helpful! I am going to order some just to see the difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula in GAView Post
I get mine from Michael's, but if you google the name you can probably find places online that are less expensive. I attach them with some glue I got years ago that isn't even marketed anymore, but I'm sure something like glossy accents would work too. I just don't think there's any comparison when you see them next to another rhinestone. They look like expensive gems. Hope this helps.
LOVE swarovski.

You can get them at artbeads.com . All sizes, all colors. Buy one, buy 100.

A word of caution: I believe the reason they look so nice is because they are lead crystal. I could be wrong on that, but I mention it in case you have little ones who like to put shiny things in their mouths. Not sure if one gem would be overly toxic but, you know what I mean. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2012, 07:47 AM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Yes, they are lead crystal. In the interest of full disclosure I did some research and it seems Swarovski has done extensive testing as to whether the lead in the crystal matrix is "available" through handling or even swallowing. Apparently it is not:

Swarovski Overview Statement on Lead Content 10/16/08

Recently, there has been an increased regulatory focus on potential human exposure to lead from various consumer products, including jewelry. We hope that our customers will find this overview of current requirements applicable to lead in jewelry and other products useful. Recognizing that the regulatory landscape is rapidly changing, however, it remains the responsibility of our business customers to assure that their use of crystal in jewelry and other products is consistent with all applicable requirements.

How is lead in crystal different from lead in other products? Crystal has unique properties. The crystal manufacturing process creates a matrix, which inhibits the mobility of lead. Because of this structure, lead crystal poses no significant risk of excessive lead exposure to human health via surface contact (hand to mouth), mouthing or even ingestion . By contrast, lead in other materials that might be used in jewelry, such as coatings, metal or plastic, may be accessible to consumers. That is why some regulatory bodies, like the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), have focused on children’s metal jewelry and surface coatings, and not crystal.

Has crystal been tested to assess the potential for lead exposure? Swarovski crystals have been tested under a variety of test methods for extractable lead, including the CPSC’s Standard Operating Procedure for Determining Lead (Pb) and Its Availability in Children’s Metal Jewelry, ASTM F963-03 (the standard on accessible lead in toys), and EN 71/3 (the European standard for lead in toys). Test conditions and procedures do vary, but lead levels are well below regulatory limits even when the crystal is tested in an acid solution to maximize the release of lead.

What are the current national limits applicable to lead in crystal jewelry? The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) of 2008 was signed into law by President Bush on August 14, 2008. According to this law, the age of a child has been defined as 12 and under. All products for a child are required to have less than 600ppm lead by February 10, 2009 and the limit progressively decreases to 300ppm within 1 year and 100ppm within 3 years, if feasible. The CPSC does not have any restrictions on the use of crystal in adult jewelry; therefore, this would only be relevant to products intended for children as defined above.

Do state limits apply to crystal jewelry? The CPSIA includes language that prevents states from passing their own lead limits on children’s products. The states that had legislation in place prior to the Federal Act passing will now defer to the national standard. Certain states that have legislation referencing lead in adult products would not be affected by the CPSIA.

What is Swarovski doing? Swarovski will try to keep you informed of actions that affect your use of our products. Recognizing that the regulatory landscape changes often, it remains the responsibility of our business customers to assure that their use of crystal in jewelry and other products is consistent with all applicable requirements.

Swarovski Crystal Position 10/16/08

Recently, there has been an increased regulatory focus on potential human exposure to lead from various consumer products, including jewelry. Crystal has unique properties. The crystal manufacturing process creates a matrix which inhibits the mobility of lead. In other words, lead is bound into the structure of the crystal. Because of this structure, lead crystal poses no significant risk of excessive lead exposure to human health via surface contact (hand to mouth), mouthing or even ingestion. Indeed, Swarovski crystals have been tested under a variety of test methods for extractable lead. Test conditions and procedures do vary, but lead levels are well below regulatory limits even when the crystal is tested in an acid solution to maximize the release of lead.

Most authorities considering lead in crystal have concluded that limits on total lead should not apply to crystal. In 2006, for example, the California Attorney General settled a lawsuit brought in the state alleging exposure to lead from jewelry. The court-approved settlement agreement, as well as the later legislatively enacted Californian AB 1681, established limits for lead in metals and several other components, with stricter standards for jewelry intended for children 6 and younger. Significantly, in recognition of the limited risk of availability of lead from crystal, the settlement agreement as well as California AB 1681 allows the continued use of crystal without limitation in jewelry not intended for children.

On August 14, 2008, President Bush signed into law the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) of 2008 located at http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/cpsia.html. This Act represents the most comprehensive overhaul of this country’s consumer product safety laws since the creation of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) in 1972. New limits on lead take effect on February 10th, 2009.

According to this law, the age of a child has been defined as 12 and under. All products for a child are required to have less than 600ppm lead by February 10, 2009 and the limit progressively decreases to 300ppm within 1 year and 100ppm within 3 years, if feasible. In addition, there is preemption language in the law that will prevent states from passing legislation in the future with regard to lead limits. The states that currently have legislation regarding children’s products in place will default to the federal standard. Therefore, California will be using the new standards for children’s products as of February 10, 2009 but the California adult standard, which allows for a total crystal exemption, still stands.

Swarovski will try to keep you informed of actions that affect your use of our products. Recognizing that the regulatory landscape changes often, it remains the responsibility of our business customers to assure that their use of crystal in jewelry and other products is consistent with all applicable requirements.

=======

So it looks like California (always the first state to address matters like this) has set standards about lead crystal on objects aimed at children (under age 12), but in the case of adults, does not consider lead crystal a source of lead.

Although I think that the risks of lead poisoning from swallowing swarovski crystals are slim to nil - I wouldn't want any young child swallowing anything not meant for ingestion.

Good thing to bring up for those with young ones, Emily.

As for me, my child just turned 35, and I no longer have any control over what he swallows!

Last edited by Rachelrose; 11-24-2012 at 07:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristaTracyView Post
I use an X-Acto knife to slice the gem from the line of glue and lift it off. I then position it using the knife and press it into place.
This is what I do too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2012, 04:51 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

I tried that with my SU rhinestones and I couldn't seem to slice through the glue. The thing just lifted off without any adhesive. I guess I need to practice. (I guess I should have bought more sheets of rhinestones so I have some to practice with!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2012, 05:54 AM   #24  

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use scissors to snip through the glue dividing the line of rhinestones. I snip through the paper and the glue ... I find that always works.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

I use a craft knife to cut the rhinestones apart when they are joined by adhesive. It lets me get closer so I don't have a chunk of leftover adhesive on the edge. I also use the dull side of the knife to pick up the tiny ones.
Glossy Accents works well, but if you have too much and it squishes out, it leaves a shiny mark on your paper. If you get a matte liquid adhesive (I like Helmuth's matte multi) it works better, IMO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

X-acto knife here too. I've successfully managed to cut through the long line of tiny rhinestones in groups of three for some Christmas cards I am making. Then I slide the knife tip under to loosen the adhesive and gently tap on the top of the rhinestone to get one to stick to the knife tip, the other two just sort of "dangle" in the air. Place them on the card and tap down again with my fingers or the handle end of the knife. So far so good. I even use the knife method when just removing one rhinestone. I really try to avoid touching the bottom of the stones with my fingers at all, that always results in the adhesive ending up on my skin instead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #27  
Glitter Guru

I noticed the shiny effect when I was gluing a tiny bow to something with Glossy Accents just today. I'm going to get the Helmuths. Thanks, Tiffany, for that.

I am going to need it when I get my swarovskis. Because they won't have any adhesive on them.
Reply With Quote Likes