Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Chalk Ink and Clear Stamps - stains

I recently bought some Colorbox Fluid Chalk Ink and I love the way it looks. But I used it on a clear stamp (a good quality stamp), and it stained it terribly. The ink was gray and the stamp is now black.

Is this just the way it is with chalk inks and clears? I'm already sworn off my Palette Noir with them, it blackened one of my stamps so badly.

The weird thing is - the stamp that I happened to use with the Charcoal chalk ink was a PTI stamp, and in the sheet of "instructions" that you always get rolled up with the index sheet it says that Nichole Heady likes to use chalk ink with her stamps (and Palette!):

"Both Palette and chalk inks are my first choice when choosing a medium to use in conjunction with clear stamps."

Do you get very bad staining with chalk ink and your clears? (Colorbox specifically?). And if you do, do you use it on them anyway or avoid it?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Yes, I do. Some colours stain worse than others, red is particularly bad. I just live with it, and reckon it makes the stamps easier to see so it's no bad thing. I don't think it harms the stamps at all, I just see it as the stamping equivalent of using things like paprika and turmeric!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

I've always experienced staining on my clears with certain colors of dye ink - many of mine are tinged pink from reds, as you say. But this is more than a stain, really - you can't see through the stamp at all. Maybe it's the darkness of the ink. I was just very surprised. I have had no staining problem with dark dye inks and my clears.

It's not even that I care about stamps being stained. But when they are stained so opaquely that it's hard to tell when they are inked completely...

Last edited by Rachelrose; 11-25-2012 at 01:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Like Cook22, I am very laid back about how my stamps look. Staining doesn't bother me at all, if they stamp well. That goes for rubber or clear.

I find when the clear stamps are a little stained, it's easier for me to see what the image/sentiment is when I am looking for something on the clear sheets or boxes.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
It's not even that I care about stamps being stained. But when they are stained so opaquely that it's hard to tell when they are inked completely...
I'm another one that doesn't care about the appearance of the stamps - just the performance. However, I understand what you're saying about the opacity issue. Maybe check to see if the stamp is uniformly "wet" looking? This is what I do with my rubber stamps, since I can't see through them, either...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I no longer use chalk ink with my clear stamps. I don't mind light tinting but heavy staining is a problem for me. I like using clear stamps because it is easy to see what I'm doing so I don't want to use inks that stain heavily. I don't care if they are tinted pink or green or whatever as long as the stamps are still transparent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #7  
FiP
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use the fluid chalk inks 95% of the time, as I love how well they stamp and clean off easily. Yes, some of my clear stamps get stained by some of the colours. It does not worry me, they continue to stamp just fine and I would not stop using my fluid chalks because of the staining!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2012, 04:48 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

I'm think I'm with Glitter Gypsy: I don't mind light tinting, but heavy staining does bother me.

With one exception, where I've discovered it is actually desirable - Last night I was setting up some new clear sets in CD cases, and there were lots of small sentiment phrases and words among them (one set had many), and I was struggling to figure out which was which so I could place them against the index sheet properly. So I purposely took all the sentiments and stuck them on a storage panel and stained them with my Charcoal chalk ink. Now I can see which are which! I will probably do that with all my clear sentiments in all my sets.

I know what you are saying about not being about to see through your clear stamps, Sue, but with a clean rubber stamp you can see the ink on the stamp unless it is a light shade, which is when you just have to make sure the whole thing is wet looking. With a darkly stained clear, you can't see any ink, ever. You always have to do the "wet" check.

I don't know. Maybe my lighter chalks won't stain so badly. Maybe I'll just start to not mind it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

I know what you are saying about not being about to see through your clear stamps, Sue, but with a clean rubber stamp you can see the ink on the stamp unless it is a light shade, which is when you just have to make sure the whole thing is wet looking. With a darkly stained clear, you can't see any ink, ever. You always have to do the "wet" check
Duh. What I meant to say there was "I know what you are saying about not being able to see through your RUBBER stamps."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Duh. What I meant to say there was "I know what you are saying about not being able to see through your RUBBER stamps."
No worries! I listen sideways to a lot of what my BFF says, so I'll just read that way, too! (I actually knew what you meant)

Reply With Quote Likes