Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sanding

Would love some info on sanding technique, is it done just with regular sand paper and will any card stock (stampin up) work, and do you use it just on an embossed sheet, thanks so much
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 01:09 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

For best effect it needs to be a cardstock with a coloured or white core - something like Core-dinations is ideal. Obviously even with a solid-core cardstock you'll still get the contrast between the distressed finish from the sanding, but it's not as strong an effect.
I use the sanding blocks that I got with my shrink plastic (shrinky dinks), or the file that came in a Basic Grey set. But a fine-grade sandpaper will work fine. You'd probably find it easier to just sand the raised embossing if you wrap it round a small block, I think.
There's a fun technique using sanding and acrylic paints here - Splitcoaststampers - Tutorials. The block Beate shows is similar to what I use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2012, 03:31 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

I sand most of of my patterned paper die cuts, at least when I use Spellbinders dies. It will bring out the embossed inner edge. I love that. I use a white sanding block. It is called burnishing block in some stores.

I also sand most of my patterned paper layers. What can I say? Sanding and stitching are my two go to techniques for most of my cards.

my gallery - my blog

Last edited by Beate; 11-19-2012 at 04:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2012, 03:42 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I keep a Silki-mitt handy for sanding paper craft projects. I'm guessing they're available in the US but they may have different name - you'll find them with hair removal products at the drug store. They're basically a little sleeve of very fine sandpaper designed to slip over your hand to massage hair off your legs (not sure I fancy sanding my legs myself!).

As Sabrina says, you'll get the most pronounced effect on cardstock or paper that has a white or coloured core. DCWV is textured white core cardstock and sands very well, Core-dinations comes in a range of colours with different colour cores (including ones that go with Ranger Distress and Adirondack ink ranges) and patterned paper is white underneath the printed design.

You can sand the edges of any panel for a worn or shabby look, sanding doesn't have to be reserved for embossed items!

HTH!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2012, 05:10 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Visit your local dollar store or a Sally Beauty Supply and pick up a white nail-filing block. It's a fairly fine grit, easy to grip and kind of cushiony. Works great and not very expensive.

I also use cheap emery board type nail files if I want to distress edges. They're pretty to look at, easy to hold, easy to store, and the kind I usually buy can be rinsed under running water to bring back the grit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I LOVE the new SU! sanding system. Similar looking to the beauty shop ones, but has replacable sand paper for 1.95. Worked great in class this month with the Cored'nations paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I use the Tim Holtz sanding block and the sand paper that comes with it. I also use emery boards and basic grey files. I don't sand to distress a lot but I love to cover found objects and chipboard in paper and perfect the fit with sanding and filing. Not much technique really. Just keep the sandpaper flat for flat surfaces which is why I and other recommend sanding blocks or other flat sanding devices for sanding embossed paper. I never bother to sand solid core Cardstock because you just won't see much difference. But coordinations or other colored core Cardstock looks great sanded!
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes