Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sizzix Square Flip-Its Die

I purchased a square Sizzix Flip-Its die. I ran through some inexpensive white card stock. It seemed to work fine. I then ran through some SU designer paper and half of the blade stuck in my cutting pad and came out of the die. I called the place I bought it from, they contacted Sizzix and Sizzix replaced the die promptly. However, on the sixth piece of cardstock I cut, half of the blade stuck in my cutting mat and came out of the replacement die. I am waiting to get a response from Sizzix. Has anyone else had this problem with this die? I was going to order other shapes but am so frustrated with this one that I doubt I will.

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2012, 05:25 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't have this problem, but i can't get mine to cut where it is supposed to, i took the first one back thinking it was defective, got the new one home and it does the same thing, i e-mailed sizzix, they said they were having a problem with the square one, they are hoping to have it fixed, they took my name and address to send me a new one out, its been over a month and i haven't heard a thing from them. At the prices of these i'm not going to buy anymore. Hope you get your problem fixed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

After receiving smallcitiy's reply, I called Ellison. They apparently are having difficulty with the square die. They tell me that they sent me a circle die, which I should receive soon. I had told them I would take a circle or fancy frame flip its, but the fancy frame is out of stock. I hope that this one works better than the square.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #4  
dbs
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 167 Likes on 111 Posts

Ok. Not just me - thank you! Have the Fancy Frame, Circle, and Square Flip Its. Bought the Circle and Square several months ago but hadn't used the square until today. Have tried all types of cardstock, different "sandwiches," etc. and the scoring lines come out cut most of the time. Tried the Circle and Fancy Frame ones and they go through my Big Shot so much more smoothly and the score lines are as they should be. Just e-mailed Sizzix so I'll wait and see what happens. Was going to take back to Hobby Lobby but didn't want to hassle with that until I heard back from Sizzix - which hopefully I will.
I really do like the square die so hope that maybe they have improved it.
Has anyone had better luck with the square die?
Old 11-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I called Sizzix. After two defective square dies, they sent me a round die. That one and the Fancy Frames die I bought work fine in my Big Kick. They must have realized the square dies are defective since they were willing to give me a different shape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm I have the square die and haven't tried it. (My circle die works fine.) Sounds like I should give it a run-through! Thanks for posting this info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #7  
dbs
Polyshrink Goddess

Yes, be sure to try it! I'm hoping that I didn't wait too long to try mine and find out it doesn't work correctly - although the sizzix website says the dies have a 3 year warranty. Was gone over the summer so had no opportunity to try it out earlier. I've had mine a few months and didn't use it until today when I was going to start my holiday cards. Never thought that I should try it right away - assumed there would be no problems as I've had no issues with Sizzix products in the past. Will post once I hear back from Sizzix.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #8  
dbs
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile Happy Now!

Haven't heard anything back from my online contact with Sizzix yet. Did try to call their customer service today but finally gave up trying to resolve it over the phone after I kept getting passed around to different departments. They seemed pretty frazzled so decided that I would try at a different time. Was hoping to get things settled as I had hoped to use the Square Flip Its die for my holiday cards. As it turned out, I was able to stop at a Hobby Lobby today and picked up a new Square Flip Its die. Figured it was worth a try. Tried it right away when I got home and it works beautifully (so far) - works as well as the Circle and Fancy Frame ones. So, it looks like they may have taken care of the previous manufacturing problem. I'll be returning the defective die to the store this weekend. Hopefully, that will take care of everything. Happy to have a die that works as I really like the Square one! Not sure when Sizzix was able to fix the earlier problem so anyone that has the Square Flip Its should check theirs out just to be sure it works ok.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Glad you got it resolved. It would be nice to have a working square flip its. Please update us if it stops working. I am not sure how to get one from the new shipments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 03:53 AM   #10  
dbs
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Sizzix Response

Heard back from Sizzix:

Thank you for writing. We're sorry to hear about the problem you've been experiencing with this die. Do you have the proof of purchase for the die?

If you have any other questions or concerns, please click on the link below. It will remain active for 7 days. Once the link expires, you will need to create a new session by posting your question on our feedback form.

SO glad that I was able to work with Hobby Lobby to return the defective die and get a new one! I'm thinking that it would have taken me quite awhile to get things resolved through Sizzix based on my customer service phone call experience and my online inquiry/response. I guess that I was expecting a bit more of a detailed reply from customer service since I had written a detailed inquiry with specific questions. I'm assuming that this was just a canned response. Am a little tempted to follow up on it with Sizzix just to see how it eventually gets handled but I'll just let it go since I was able to exchange the die for one that works better (so far). I'd rather spend my "free" time playing in my craft room! ;)
Old 11-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #11  
dbs
Polyshrink Goddess

Square Flip Its die still working so it looks like it's a keeper. Yay!
Being encouraged I just purchased the Heart Flip Its and the Diamond Flip Its from sizzix.com. The Diamond works fine BUT the Heart one does not. Sigh. Will try calling Sizzix tomorrow. Hopefully will have more luck with customer service since I ordered from them directly. The Heart die does not cut on one side (the opposite of the problem with the Square die that cut right through the fold lines!) and also cuts the shape out "backwards." You could use a scissors to cut the other edge as there is a bit of a line to follow but you shouldn't have to do that. Plus it isn't as clean a cut then. There is a good and a "bad" side when the shapes are cut but this die cuts the opposite of how it should (and how the other Flip It dies work). Not explaining very well - just know it isn't right.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Trying to figure out what you are saying with cutting the heart backwards. The heart part should be the same either side.

Try adding a piece or two of copy paper under the part of the die that isn't cutting. Sometimes it just needs a wee shim. Are you using a Big Shot?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Here is the Heart Flip-its open and closed. I can't picture how the heart could be backwards... now it's making me crazy (lol... I'm such a dork!). Is the larger side of the die (the part where I put my ribbon below) on the right or the left side of the heart?

Front

Inside

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2012, 05:29 AM   #14  
dbs
Polyshrink Goddess

Sorry to make everyone so crazy! I know that I didn't explain it very well at all so I will try again! ;)
First of all, I DID contact Sizzix as soon as I saw the problem and yes, they did consider the die to be defective and sent me a new die right away! Customer service was wonderful this time. The new one works perfectly so I'm so glad that I questioned the first one I had.
Ok......as far as the not cutting through the cardstock. Yes, I could have used a shim to try to make it cut better through the cardstock but it was a 3 inch section in the middle of one of the 5 inch sides that was the problem. As my other 4 Flip Its cut the basic shape perfectly, I really didn't feel like I always wanted to have to try to shim that section in exactly the right spot each time if I didn't have to. However, if the cutting was the only problem, I probably would have just done whatever I needed to do to make it work.
Now, for the "backwards" part that I explained so poorly before. The cut out die shape has a "right" side and a "wrong" side, much like a piece of fabric, if that helps. It wasn't that the shape was backwards per se but rather that no matter what you did, the "wrong" side of the die always ended up being the front of the card - the nice , clean cut was on the back of the card. Even if you covered the cardstock with printed paper cut from the die, the front of the card would not have that nice, finished look. Does that help explain it at all? It always looked like the back of the card and there was no way to fold it to look right.
Just like when you cut your cardstock on a paper cutter, the cut looks cleaner on one side than the other? At any rate, my other 4 Flip Its, when folded, have the nice side facing front AND, now, with the replacement heart die that just came, the nice, finished side faces front as well. So, there was definitely something wrong with with the first one I had. It really had me confounded :confused: when I used the first one because I just couldn't figure out what was wrong, what I had done differently because there really was only one way to put it through the Big Shot. I'd done 50 plus of the Square Flip Its for my Christmas cards so it wasn't like I hadn't used them before. To have the "finished" side be the front of the card, the card either had to be upside down with the point of the heart at the top or the wider side of the card had to be on the left side with the narrow side of the card on the right (opposite of how it is supposed to be). Trust me, I turned and folded the card every which way to try to make it right.
So, I guess the most important thing here is to say......if you have any of the Sizzix Flip Its dies, be sure to check them out, even if you don't plan on using them soon. There seem to have been some manufacturing blips along the way. If you purchased directly from Sizzix, they will send a replacement right away BUT you need to go back to the retailer (online or brick and mortar store) to resolve any issues if you did not buy directly from Sizzix. I did not realize this at first.
Sorry for the long post! Just know I had confused people with my earlier post. Hope this helped to explain it better! :p
P.S. Jeanne, love your card posted above - and yes, it is exactly right!

Last edited by dbs; 11-25-2012 at 05:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

lol... glad you got it all figured out.

I know what you mean about the edges. What I do if I don't like an die cut edge (this goes for any die cut) is run over it with a bone folder. 99% of the time it does the trick making the edge right.
Reply With Quote Likes