Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-22-2012, 06:16 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Should I wash my clear stamps?

My most used clear stamps are starting to feel a little icky and aren't sticking to the CD case as well as they once did. It can't be that they are getting old (none of them are more than 7 months old). And I don't drop them on the floor or anything, so they aren't dirty in any way that a well-used stamp wouldn't be. Should I be washing them every so often in dish detergent or something? I use a stamp cleaner (Stampin Mist) on them every time I stamp with them. But they feel almost kind of gritty on the back.

And while I'm on the subject - what do you use to clean your acrylic blocks? I've been using Stampin Mist. But maybe I should be using rubbing alcohol. Or maybe I would be insane to use rubbing alcohol. Dish detergent?

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2012, 06:28 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Try dish detergent like Dawn on both. Some stamp cleaners can be oily. I, too, clean my blocks on the stamp scrubber but find the blocks can get a film on them so cleaning with dish detergent should get rid of the film on them.

Be careful with alcohol.

Last edited by arlenevita; 09-22-2012 at 06:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2012, 07:00 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use washing up liquid too :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Don't use alcohol on your acrylic blocks - over time it will cause them to "craze" on the surface so they won't be clear any more. Dish detergent and warm water is a good choice.

Both clear and cling foam stamps pick up all sorts of tiny particles over time. That gritty feeling is stuff like glitter, embossing powder, house dust etc etc and it's all interfering with the smooth surface that clings to the block. Yes, a wash every now and again will fix it for you. Again, use mild dish soap and warm water and let your stamps air dry - put them face down on something like kitchen towel while they're drying.

Careful with tiny stamps, it's easy to lose them down the drain! Keep the plug in until you're sure you've got every stamp accounted for or take a tip from Susan (Lateblossom here on SCS) and place your stamps in a colander before you start the washing process.

HTH!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Thanks, everyone. I kind of thought alcohol might be a dicey idea. I'm going to set aside some time to wash stamps. Using a colander.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Here I am stalking you again Rachel - I wash mine in a mixing bowl with warm water & a teeny bit of dish soap. I don't rinse out the bowl until I've put them all back, making sure they're all there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

That's a good suggestion. I am glad to be reminded how easy it is to lose a stamp!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Default Well, it took me this long...

....I finally started going through my clear sets and have washed 2 of them. What a difference! I used dish detergent and rinsed thoroughly (and kept careful track of the stamps!). My stamps now are sticking to the CD cases again, instead of rattling around in the bottom of them! Some of them were so gritty!

Very satisfying!

Last edited by Rachelrose; 11-02-2012 at 04:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And let them air dry.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 05:23 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

But of course! On a folded paper towel! ;-)

It's like having new stamps!

Last edited by Rachelrose; 11-03-2012 at 05:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 206 Likes on 185 Posts

I need to do that.....like Lateblossom's idea to use a collander....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

I have a bunch more sets to do. But now I am excited to do them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
....I finally started going through my clear sets and have washed 2 of them. What a difference! I used dish detergent and rinsed thoroughly (and kept careful track of the stamps!). My stamps now are sticking to the CD cases again, instead of rattling around in the bottom of them! Some of them were so gritty!

Very satisfying!
Your stamps stick to the c.d. cases? I just opened one of my SU clear set stamps, and they do not stick to the case so, yes, they do rattle around. I wish that I had kept the original rubber thingie that they come with, to keep in the case so they at least would not rattle around. But sticking to the case?, I did not know they were supposed to do that. But I can't really wash these as they have the image plastic on them and that would get wrecked, wouldn't it?

Thanks,
Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlb19View Post
Your stamps stick to the c.d. cases? I just opened one of my SU clear set stamps, and they do not stick to the case so, yes, they do rattle around. I wish that I had kept the original rubber thingie that they come with, to keep in the case so they at least would not rattle around. But sticking to the case?, I did not know they were supposed to do that. But I can't really wash these as they have the image plastic on them and that would get wrecked, wouldn't it?

Thanks,
Shirl
Shirl, she was talking about clear stamps, not the SU clings (aka clear mounts).

I understand that adding the images to the SU stamps really interferes with their cling ability. Most people have taken to leaving off the image sticker.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

I am talking about clear polymer stamps and clear plastic CD cases, not SU rubber stamps. When SU refers to a "clear" stamp they are talking about the mount, not the stamp. Wood or clear (acrylic block).

That said, my SU "clear" stamps stick to the cases they come in. But I don't use the image stickers on mine, so that might be why. I found the image stickers made it hard to get the stamps to stick well to acrylic blocks so I never use them. Others have not had that problem. (An ongoing debate, whether to use the stickers or not.)

I'm not sure if you can wash them. You might be able to. Maybe someone will weigh in on it here.

Oh, I see Emily and I were posting at the same time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Oh, thanks Emily and Rachelrose, that clears (no pun intended, lol) it up.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2012, 02:45 AM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

I am talking about clear polymer stamps and clear plastic CD cases, not SU rubber stamps. When SU refers to a "clear" stamp they are talking about the mount, not the stamp. Wood or clear (acrylic block).

That said, my SU "clear" stamps stick to the cases they come in. But I don't use the image stickers on mine, so that might be why. I found the image stickers made it hard to get the stamps to stick well to acrylic blocks so I never use them. Others have not had that problem. (An ongoing debate, whether to use the stickers or not.)

I'm not sure if you can wash them. You might be able to. Maybe someone will weigh in on it here.

Oh, I see Emily and I were posting at the same time!
Remember we have oil on our hands that collect on the clear blocks too. I am a SU rep and Yes, you can wash SU! stamps with mild detergent. I do all the time! I also find if I am in the middle of a workshop or class and can't run to the sink to clean a block, that if I rub the clear block with a magic eraser it helps remove the oily film from my hands or stamp cleaner too. If you would like any other tips or tricks just e-mail me directly at [email protected].
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #18  
Embossing Fanatic

Heart Getting Clear stamps to stick to acrylic blocks

The absolute best way that I found to get them to stay put on a block is to put "2 way glue" on each of your clear stamps. Just scribble a little bit on them as you don't need to cover the whole stamp. Let it dry thoroughly and then it will be tacky enough to stick to your block. Works wonderfully!! Or I have also used "Aleene's Tacky Glue". I smear a very thin coat onto each stamp with a skewer. Let that dry thoroughly and it also works perfect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

For me I use the stickers on the clear mount stamps - I like to see the image, especially the sentiments. I put a few dabs of tombow on the image & let it dry. No problems with them sticking to the case or block then. Yes, my blocks need cleaning - thanks for the heads up on dish soap - they are in the sink as I type!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

I also wash my stamp scrubbing pad with dish detergent every so often. It helps keep the acrylic block cleaner a little longer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

Default Try 2-sided tape

Another trick if you are stamping several of the same image with the Stamp 'in clear stamps is to use a piece of 2-sided tape to hold the stamp to the block. You need to wash up later, but keeps the stamp from sliding or smudging.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Just a suggestion!

Hi RachelRose, just a suggestion - why not use baby wipes or those hand wipes, or even the wipes you can buy to clean your computer screens - they don't have alcohol in them but they clean very well and dry quickly if not instantly. I use these for cleaning my stamps and also the plastic sheet when using distressing inks etc. Very handy and effective. Good luck.

Quote:

My most used clear stamps are starting to feel a little icky and aren't sticking to the CD case as well as they once did. It can't be that they are getting old (none of them are more than 7 months old). And I don't drop them on the floor or anything, so they aren't dirty in any way that a well-used stamp wouldn't be. Should I be washing them every so often in dish detergent or something? I use a stamp cleaner (Stampin Mist) on them every time I stamp with them. But they feel almost kind of gritty on the back.

And while I'm on the subject - what do you use to clean your acrylic blocks? I've been using Stampin Mist. But maybe I should be using rubbing alcohol. Or maybe I would be insane to use rubbing alcohol. Dish detergent?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #23  
Glitter Guru

I did end up buying some baby wipes for cleaning my background stamps because it's so hard to get them clean in the stamp scrubber. For all my other stamps, I use Stampin Mist and the scrubber.

My newly washed polymer stamps are like new! In stickiness, of course. The ones that are stained remain so, but I don't really care. Although I used one with some dark chalk ink and it got a little too stained for my liking. I guess I'll avoid chalk ink with polymer stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 03:12 AM   #24  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clear and SU clings

My two cents worth......I lick my finger and put a dot on the back of the SU clings as they don't stick so well with the image on them otherwise. And they definitely rattle around in their cases.

Appreciate all the tips for washing stamps too, haven't got that far yet but good to know, and love the colander or bowl idea as I can definitely see some escapees going down the drain!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

It sounds like a good washing of your stamps has solved your problem. I would however, caution you about sticking clear stamps to CD cases. A few companies have stated that over time a chemical reaction takes place between their stamps and CD cases. The stamps can break down and stick to the case (as ,you won't be able to remove the stamp from the case). It is true for some clear stamps and also for cling mount stamps. Sunday International ( the maker of EZ Mount) states that this can happen with their product. I asked customer service for a few companies, and I was told to always store the stamps on the carrying sheet that came with the stamp packaging. I was told they were then safe to be stored inside CD cases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

I store my Papertrey stamps in the clear CD cases - and they came with the sets so I assume they are fine. Or why would they have sold them to me that way?

I don't store my cling foam backed stamps in CD cases. I use SU cases. Or panels that are approved for EZ mount/cling foam.

Any other polymers are on their carrying sheets, either standing on their own up in a bin, or stuck into an SU DVD case.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post
Sunday International ( the maker of EZ Mount) states that this can happen with their product.
My understanding is that EZ Mount can react with acetate. CD cases are not made of acetate, they're made of polystyrene. Do you have a reliable reference for the problem relating to CD cases? I just looked at Crafter's Companion (who recently bought Sunday International) and don't see anything there.

I have lots of cling mount stamps in CD cases and have never had a problem. Some of them have been stored that way for five years or so. I'd certainly like to know if there could be a problem brewing though!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #28  
Glitter Guru

But polymer stamps are okay on acetate? I think I must have asked this question before. A lot of the carrying sheets my polymers come on look like acetate to me and I've wondered whether leaving them on there is really a good idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #29  
Crimping Master

I went searching for my information from the past. I am sorry that I don't know how to link directly to the Thread where I shared the information and e-mails that I had received. Perhaps someone could do me a favor and link to that thread for me.

The thread is called EZ Mount and CD Cases- Do they React? It is originally dated 9/19/2010. My e-mail responses from Sunday International and BLine stamps have been copied onto the #3 response. I know that I contacted a third company, but can't find any response in old e-mails, etc. so I am sure I probably threw it out.

Both of the responses that I reference refer to cling mount stamps, but to the best of my recall I had a clear stamp company that told me not to stick them directly on a CD case. I can't remember the company. I am sorry I can't find that information!

I want my stamps to last forever so I baby them as much as possible. I always put something between clear and Cling stamps and the CD case. It is probably over-kill, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #30  
Glitter Guru

Here's a link to the thread:

EZ Mount and CD Cases - Do They React? by sanderf at Splitcoaststampers

and here's your post (#3 on thread):

"I have very few stamps that are mounted on EZ Mount, but I had the same concern for the stamps that I do have that are mounted this way. I wrote an e-mail to Sunday International (the maker of EZ Mount) and to B Line stamps. These are the two types of stamps that I own that are mounted with an EZ Mount type product.

This is the response that I got from Alicia Lester from Sunday International:

Thank you for emailing me. You aren't the only one that has been concerned. We have noticed that after time the EZmount will react with the CD cases and will loose its cling. We have made some panels to fit into the CD cases. By storing them on the panel, they wont get ruined. As long as the stamps are stored on the panel, then they are safe to store in the CD Cases. Please pass this message along. I don't want people to think it isn't safe to store their stamps in the CD cases, but having them stored on the panel will insure its cling. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. Thank you and have a great day!

The panal she mentions in the e-mail is available from Sunday International.

This is the response I got from Beverly at B Line Stamps:

Sorry it has taken me awhile to get back with you on the question of
cling foam.
We have checked with many of our sources and have gone over things that
could go wrong.

1. The cushion is a foam base and needs to avoid heat or direct
sunlight.
2. Keeping the protective paper will help keep them clean and help
them stick better.
They can be cleaned with a damp cloth.
3. Clear stamps (no red rubber) is an unstable product and likely to
crack with age.

If you have any other questions please let me know.
We purchase our cling from Sunday International and I know they sell
thousands of sheet of cling. They are another good source for questions.

Thank you, Beverly
B Line Designs

I know that some people place a piece of glossy card stock between their cling mounted stamps and the CD cases. I hope this helps!"

I don't know what to think. There's a point at which it seems like manufacturers are just trying to cover themselves. Certainly there are reasonable precautions. But you can look around this forum (as I did when I searched for this thread) and find all kinds of conflicting information about what you should and shouldn't do with stamps and how you should and shouldn't store them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

I put the removable not permanent dot to adhesive on the back of the stamps they stick to the block and the dot tow will rub off of the back of he stamp when your done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #32  
Cardstock Collector

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to make your stampin up stamps stick to the block even with the clear images on..

I wasn't using the clear images on the stampin up stamps because when adhered they wouldn't stick to the block. However I saw a video of an adhesive that can be added to rubber stamps that have been taken off wood mount stamps so they can be used with clear blocks. I thought I could use the same thing for my stampin up clear stamps with the clear image. Michaels sells a spray called "krylon adhesive tack" that is a repositional adhesive. Place your stamps face down and spray the back that has the clear image sticker on it (let it dry for a while) and they will then stick to the blocks like magic : ) It's repositional so they stick again and again. The girl at Michaels told me that every now and then you have to respray to make it tacky again. I'm now going to put the clear stickers on all of my stampin up stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 11:03 PM   #33  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinsuebdoView Post
I wasn't using the clear images on the stampin up stamps because when adhered they wouldn't stick to the block. However I saw a video of an adhesive that can be added to rubber stamps that have been taken off wood mount stamps so they can be used with clear blocks. I thought I could use the same thing for my stampin up clear stamps with the clear image. Michaels sells a spray called "krylon adhesive tack" that is a repositional adhesive. Place your stamps face down and spray the back that has the clear image sticker on it (let it dry for a while) and they will then stick to the blocks like magic : ) It's repositional so they stick again and again. The girl at Michaels told me that every now and then you have to respray to make it tacky again. I'm now going to put the clear stickers on all of my stampin up stamps.
I love all these tips and the people who are sharing them. Great thread.

Thanks,
Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2012, 12:45 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Thanks Annie (and Rachel for finding the thread).

Quote:

I don't know what to think. There's a point at which it seems like manufacturers are just trying to cover themselves.
I'm inclined to agree. Although the Sunday International response says the reaction might happen "after time" I'm thinking that five years is more than adequate for any reaction to develop and my stamps are probably safe as they are! I confess I really don't fancy having to cut and fit glossy card or some other substance for the number of cases I have!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #35  
Crimping Master

Thanks for posting the link, Rachelrose. I think you might all be correct in thinking the stamp companies are covering themselves. I was lucky enough to keep my stamps on the sheets they came on from the beginning, but I would be like Angelnorth in not wanting to go back and redo them!

Stampinsuebdo, there is also a product called TackNPeel that you can apply to your acrylic blocks. It is sold at JoAnn's and I am sure many other places. It seems a little spendy at about $10 per sheet, but often times you can use a coupon to purchase it. Also, once it is on your blocks it lasts a really long time. I have had it on my blocks for years and have yet to replace a sheet. If it isn't sticking the best you simply give your blocks a quick cleaning, allow it to air dry, and you are good to go. It might be another option for you in addition to or instead of the Krylon spray.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #36  
Glitter Guru

I once would have said "Too bad all these tips and tricks are necessary," Shirl.

But I have come to the conclusion that the stickers are entirely optional in SU's view. That SU provides them as an extra little courtesy to its customers and if people want to use them, fine. Whether using them means huffing, trimming, licking, tacking or block scrubbing, it isn't really SU's problem. I think I know of one company that prints the image on the back of clings, but really all clings come with no image, sticker or otherwise.

I use the stickers. I put the sheet behind the plastic on the outside of my DVD case so I can put my stamps on top and thus know I have them all. And they work brilliantly for that.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 11-16-2012 at 09:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes