Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-02-2012, 05:52 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you cut all your cardstock ahead of time?

I just bought about 8 packs of SU 8x11 cardstock.

First thing first...what's your favorite way to store your card stock? Does Michael's sell anything that is efficient?

And when you purchase a pack of 8x11 cardstock, do you just store it until you make a card or do you cut your cardstock into card base sizes and store them that way?

I'm thinking that if I took a full pack of cardstock and cut it all in half, then stored it away, whenever I would need a card base, it's all set and ready to go.

Does anyone do this or am I just over thinking things. LOL

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 05:59 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

I don't cut it ahead of time because of several things: I use the cardstock for other things besides card bases, I make sizes other than standard A2, sometimes I have the card opening from the side, and sometimes from the top (cardstock cut in half lengthwise rather than width-wise), to name a few. I just store mine in hanging file folders in a regular file cabinet I picked up at Walmart - no "specialty" storage for me!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 06:14 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I never cut my card stock ahead of time either. Just store it until I need to make a card,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never cut my cardstock ahead of time, either, for the same reasons Sue stated. Particularly with colors I only get in the color family/in-color multi-packs (I only order full packs of the colors I use a lot), I don't want to cut into them until I know what I am doing with them since I only have a few sheets of those colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Another who doesn't cut in advance. Partly because I'm never sure, till I start the card, whether I want it landscape or portrait orientation, and on the whole they stand better if the fold is at the side rather than along the top. Most of my cards are made on pre-bought card bases which don't give me the luxury of choice, but the paper that I do buy the sheet I definitely don't cut till I'm at the point of use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, I fall somewhere in between. I take about 3-4 sheets of each color and cut them in half. I also cut a couple of sheets into quarters. I store these in clear rubbermaid containers near my desk. The rest I keep whole in a filing cabinet. That seems to be the best of both worlds to me. If it looks like I am using up the last of one of the cut colors (and I have the time), I will cut up a few more sheets. It seems to help having them already cut when I am on the fly, but I always have whole sheets for back up for odd size, shape, or other projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi, Maslex!

I store all my 8 1/2 x 11 SU cardstock in hanging file folders, in one file cabinet which I got at an office supply store (OfficeMax or Staples). The file cabinet slides under my desk, and I can easily get to it if I need more cardstock.

My 12x12 SU cardstock are stored in a JetMax cube with 12x12 hanging file folders from Michael's.

I don't pre-cut my cardstock either. I keep them in their folders, and just cut what I need.

I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #8  
Glitter Queen

I keep all full sheets (I only use 8.5x11" sheets), because I never know what size card I'm gonna do. Unless, of course, I'm buying the supplies for a specific project (christmas cards, invitations, etc). Then, I'll cut it down once I get the supplies, even before I start the project.

I keep all of my cardstock in a milk crate, in hanging file folders. I had it in magazine boxes on my bookshelf, but they kind of fell apart after a few years (they were cheap, really cheap). So now I just use the hanging folders in the milk crate. It works right now, but I'm going to look for another solution after the new year, when I can actually clean out what I have, and bring the rest of my stuff out here to my apartment (at least 35% of my craft supplies are still at my parents' house back home, I only brought the most frequently used things because I didn't have much space in my old apartment), since I have more room now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #9  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Like many of the previous posters, my 8.5" X 11" C/S is in hanging file folders. I cut what I need ... save the larger leftovers in that same file, and never cut ahead. Sure as shootin', the day I might cut ahead would be the day before I needed it cut differently! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

The only time I cut my packs of paper is if I bought them specifically to mass produce a particular card for Christmas cards or some other occasion. If I'm buying the paper just to have on hand for future projects, I don't cut ahead of time since I use it for more than just card bases, like making 3D objects (boxes, etc.) that might require the entire sheet.

For most of my cardstock, I store them in black Sterilite file boxes.(Sterilite - 1871: Portable File Box).
The room most of my 8.5x11 cardstock is stored gets a lot of sun and if I don't have it in something dark then it tends to fade or change color. I like the smaller containers because if I use anything bigger (since I need something portable), the container gets too heavy to move very often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #11  

No way! I never know what size I might need for a project! And really, it's not like it takes much time to chop it up when I need it:-)

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

For storage, I also file my paper in hanging files, but I don't have room for a cabinet so I use three of these. I'm able to slide them under my worktables:

Neat Life Mesh Rolling File Cart with Drawers, Silver

The drawers come in very handy. I was using inexpensive black plastic file crates on the floor and that was working fine for a long while but I just got sick of having to get down on my hands and knees to get paper!

After reading Blueheron's post I realized that, in reality, if I cut a sheet in half for a regular card, I sometimes score and fold the other half so I have some card bases sitting around. But usually I file it in a special file I have of "ready to score and fold" paper. I won't put it in a scrap folder if it's a full half sheet. I guess I ought to file it in its proper color hanging file, but I'm usually just too lazy. Sometimes I remember to look through the half sheets before I cut into another, sometimes I don't. And sometimes I bemoan the fact that I have none of a color left and then "find" a half sheet of it in the half sheet file and celebrate my good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by cricutaddictView Post
Hi, Maslex!

I store all my 8 1/2 x 11 SU cardstock in hanging file folders, in one file cabinet which I got at an office supply store (OfficeMax or Staples). The file cabinet slides under my desk, and I can easily get to it if I need more cardstock.

My 12x12 SU cardstock are stored in a JetMax cube with 12x12 hanging file folders from Michael's.

I don't pre-cut my cardstock either. I keep them in their folders, and just cut what I need.

I hope this helps.
I had no idea Michaels carries 12x12 hanging file folders!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't cut down my coloured cardstock but I do pre-cut a bunch of white card bases since I use that for 99% of my cards. I run the sheets through my printer first to put my logo on the back and then I cut them for the different types (tent, regular, long edge open, short tent). I store all my 8.5 x 11 cardstock in magazine holders. It works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I store all my Cardstock 81/2 x 11 in a Magazine holder from the $1.00 bin at Target.

I have about 6 of them. They are made out of Cardboard. Each of them are labeled as to which Company they belong too.

And I don't cut down my cardstock until I get ready to use it. This way I won't waste it.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

I only cut my cardstock on as needed basis as well. I use my cardstock for cards and scrapbooking as well as other projects from time to time. I only precut if I have a large mass production going on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for all of your replies. Looks like I will be on the lookout for some paper storage this weekend.

And maybe I'll just keep the cardstock as is without pre-cutting it. I know that I will only be using the cardstock for making Christmas cards (that's all I do now) so we'll see how it works out.

Thanks again!!!

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

For paper storage for 8.5x11 paper, I use magazine holders from Office Max. They are very sturdy and the front lip part is quite low (about 2" tall) as opposed to the cropper hoppers that came up about 8". Very easy to get the paper out.

DSCF0860-1.jpg

The only thing I precut is white cardstock into quarters for stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a nice vertical file I store my paper in. I never precut it with the exception of white. I take reams of white and have them professionally cut in half.
Blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #20  
FiP
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would never cut my cardstock 'in advance'. Back when I first got into crafting, I pretty much only made cards. Nowadays, I might use that full sheet for making boxes, or a wrap-around cover for a notepad, etc. Perhaps cut a few, but not all, is my suggestion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 03:32 AM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I never cut in advance either. I have taken my white cardstock to Staples and had it cut in half for card bases, but I don't do it that often. I just cut as needed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 04:04 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

I do, a little. When I am working on something and have to cut certain sizes, I will usually cut up the whole sheet if they are larger pieces, or half of it if they a smaller. I do this for a couple of reasons, but the main one is because if I mess up, then I have another piece ready and don't have to worry about it. I only do this with what I would call normal sizes that I would use on different cards. I have all of my pieces sorted in two of the little crates that hold DVDs and they are sorted by color(reds, whites, patterned,etc) and put into envelopes. This way I can look right there if I need something before I get paper from my filing cabinets. I also have a box that has paper cut up and ready to use for bases. But this is is just a tiny bit and most of my cardstock is in filing cabinets. I also cut up my 12x12 since I do cards I have it mainly cut into six by six, but some twelve by six. I find that I use it this way alot more. I do have some that I dont cut as it might get used some day to do scrapbooking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 04:10 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
No way! I never know what size I might need for a project! And really, it's not like it takes much time to chop it up when I need it:-)
Love the term, Minders :o
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 04:17 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

I'll chime in so that blueheron isn't all lonesome on the "I cut some ahead of time" side!

I cut two sheets in half for card bases...one for each orientation...and score and fold them. If they are light colors, I might do more. In reality I usually use white card bases so these cut bases might last me a while.

Then I cut a couple of sheets into quarters. These get used for any of the odd sized layers I might be making.

Now, if I decide to make a card bigger than A2, then I just get a whole sheet from my supply.

All the cut paper, card bases, and scraps are then stored in my sterilite drawers by color groups. Bulk paper storage is below my desk.

I've attached a couple of pics for visual learners ;)
Attached Thumbnails
Do you cut all your cardstock ahead of time?-img_1736.jpg   Do you cut all your cardstock ahead of time?-img_1745.jpg  
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 05:34 AM   #25  
Glitter Guru

I have often looked at those magazine holders and wondered how people stored paper in them. I was a school librarian for 15 years and so I had a back room full of shelves of them with all of our archived magazines. So I know them well - well enough to know that when they aren't full the magazines tilt and slide into the empty space at the bottom and get all curled up at one end. Doesn't that happen with the cardstock?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 06:44 AM   #26  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I have often looked at those magazine holders and wondered how people stored paper in them. I was a school librarian for 15 years and so I had a back room full of shelves of them with all of our archived magazines. So I know them well - well enough to know that when they aren't full the magazines tilt and slide into the empty space at the bottom and get all curled up at one end. Doesn't that happen with the cardstock?
I store my paper in the SU paper holders that are similar to mag holders and because the cardstock is heavier than magazine paper, the cardstock doesn't slide or curl, it just leans. I've been using this method for about 5 years and have never had a problem.

I especially like that the edges of the paper are protected. I tried the hanging file method and for some reason I would have crushed edges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 06:57 AM   #27  
Glitter Guru

Thanks for answering that. I've always wondered about it.

At this point I am committed to hanging files because of space, and so far for me it has worked very well. You just can't load a file, better to split between two if you have a lot of one color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #28  
Crimping Master

Only for holiday cards when I use one design. Otherwise, I store each color in a large capacity page protector with scraps in front and the odd cut base in back.
I don't mind making cards assembly line, it's relaxing after I've done all the designing, measuring, tryouts, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswhittaker23View Post
I had no idea Michaels carries 12x12 hanging file folders!
They did last year when I was purchasing JetMax cubes for my craft room. They also sold 12x12 hanging folders. I got 2 of the cubes (1 for the plain SU CS and 1 for the SU DSP).

I'm not sure if they still carry it...I haven't been to Michael's in forever...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #30  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I precut, score, and sometimes fold white and cream card bases and a few other colors because sometimes friends and I do massive card making for troop cards. I usually do not cut down other solid colors. Sometimes I cut down DP for layers for troop cards and swaps. A friend occasionally gives me large pieces of scrap leftover from a big printing business so I cut that down to 8.5 x 11 or layering sizes or card bases because the pieces are too big to store otherwise. Love having card bases ready to go!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 02:49 AM   #31  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I pre cut white. Card stock is stored in a paper display shelf I bought for $15 when my LSS went out of business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 07:24 AM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

I have legal sized file cabinets with hanging file folders... so packs of cardstock in A-4 size are in that, I do not cut it ahead of time... what if you wanted to make something not a card or a larger sized card?

eta I do cut and score and fold scraps into 3" card bases however...
(for gift tags)

Scraps (blank gift cards) by JBgreendawn at Splitcoaststampers

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

I've thought about pre-cutting white and cream for the inside of cards, when I use dark cardstock as a base. But that's as far as I get. I'm always so far behind on the list of cards I want to make that I never spare time to do something like that in advance.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #34  
Glitter Guru

I've stopped using cardstock for the inside of my cards entirely. 20 lb. bond paper works just as well and is a whole lot cheaper. And doesn't make the card even thicker (which in my case is a good thing, I tend to do lots of layers).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #35  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

I used to cut 1/2 and 1/4 sheets, but now I only cut the 1/2 sheet for white and natural that I use for card bases. I do and score and fold them.
I have them in a "basket" on the desktop with 1/4 sheets of the different white/cream/glossy/shimmer white cs that I have cut into 1/4 sheets for stamping on

Then for colors I either have full sheets, or 1/4 sheets.
The 1/4 sheets and smaller scraps are filed by color in a drawer (and I have tabs using those post-it tabs with the color name stuck to a 1/4sheet of the color it it, to make it easy to color match scraps if they've been laying on the desk a while :oops: )

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #36  
Forum Fanatic

A friend gave me the great idea of cutting cardstock for sentiments to 4x6 to use in the photo tray of our printers. I have to trim it down, but it makes it so much simpler when I want to print just one senitment. I keep a few white and vanilla 4x6 cardstock pieces near my printer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #37  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I don't cut all my CS into ready made bases, even though 95% of the time I use the same size card base.

I have my full sheet CS stored in a filing cabinet right beside on my left. PIC 1. 95% of the time I only use SU! CS as this eliminates the need to figure out how to fit something in and keeps my system fairly uniform. The other 5%, usually 12x12, is stored seperately in a set of drawers.

My off cuts are stored in four, expanding 12-slot carry files, which is beside me on my left, in colour families. PIC 2. When I go to make a card I'll first look in them to see if I have a half sheet to use as a base. If not, I'll just cut into a new sheet. These are also very handy to throw a couple of extra full sheets into and take away with me on club days.

I store all my offcuts as 'squared off' cuts. PIC 3. What I mean by that is, I'll cut any off cuts down so they all have straight sides. So there are no scraps with hole shapes cut from dies or punches as I find these get snagged when stored together.

I also 'store' my rubbish scraps. PIC 4. I have a box under the desk for all the scraps I don't want to keep. I'll go thru it every now and then and fish out something that will be useful for something I may be working on. Every month or two I take the box and give it to someone working with kids as they find that scrap box a treasure trove of great collage material.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you cut all your cardstock ahead of time?-sorting-scraps-1.jpg   Do you cut all your cardstock ahead of time?-sorting-scraps-2.jpg   Do you cut all your cardstock ahead of time?-sorting-scraps-3.jpg   Do you cut all your cardstock ahead of time?-sorting-scraps-4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #38  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm definitely not as organized as some of you! I store my 8 1/2 x 11 paper in a fabric filing drawer. and my plain colored 12x12 in a magazine plastic paper storer thing from Joann's and some 12x12 plastic bins separated by company for my DSP. I don't cut it down either because I make different size cards. I save all of my scraps too that are big enough for anything and I keep those in shoe boxes. Black and white scraps are kept separately than other colors. And DSP scraps are kept with their respective companies. I try to use as many scraps as I can because they tend to add up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #39  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Stamphappy1650, that's a great idea!

Another tip is to score the entire sheet of cardstock before you cut, and you only need to score once. Seems so simple, but I learned it here a couple of years ago.

And I do make my bases ahead of time, especially with white or cream. With other colors, I will only cut a couple of sheets at a time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 01:53 AM   #40  
Glitter Queen

Hi everyone,
What a great subject. I tend to use white or cream CS and cut and fold at least half a pack ready to use. I sell my cards at work and find I use a white/cream base with lots of layers and bling. My layers are DSP or coloured CS cut to fit at the time.
I store my paper in huge stacks as I'm still waiting for the hubby to make some vertical shelving.
I have tried lots of different types of storage and vertical shelves seem to be the only safe solution for not damaging the CS. All my off-cuts (including tiny or oddly shaped pieces) are stored in clear plastic A4 envelopes with a press-stud fasteners. You can get these at local office suppliers. I used to dump all the off-cuts in a box and I ended up never touching them once they were in there. Now, if I need a small piece I pull out the specific named envelope and find a piece the right size before I cut into a pristine piece of CS.
So, yes, I precut some CS in readiness for a flurry of creativity. I rarely use a solid piece of coloured CS to make a card as they can be too dark and off-putting to write on for some people. The white or cream bases are also more affordable when making cards to sell. You can then afford to put more into the decoration and layers without overcapitalising on the card for sale.
I hope this helps,
Ciao, Meg
Reply With Quote Likes