Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Crafty Tips and Tricks

Here are two random tricks I figured out that may help you:
1. If you're commenting on a blog and you need to prove that you are not a robot dont get scared by the illegible characters. Apparently, if you get it mostly right that's enough. I've filled it in plenty of times where I couldnt really make out the characters and there was no way I got all of them right but they still accepted my claim to personhood.
2. If you're trying to heat embossing powder, try holding your heatgun at an angle, rather than directly over the powder. I have the ranger heat gun & it's three times as fast this way, almost instant. (i dont know why it works but im glad it does- feel free to share any insider thermodynamic theory if you have it ) im not sure if its with every heat tool but give it a try.
what have you discovered during your playtime that made you go "oh! that's good to know!" share it please!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I'm glad you started this theme. I learned this from an older lady in our card group who really stamps very little, but I thought her tip was genius. I don't have a rosette die so I always score my strips by hand, and almost always at 1/4" because I like that size on cards. Anyway, every other fold can get tricky even if your score job is perfect. This sweet lady scores at every half inch, then turns her strip over, starts at 1/4", then scores every half inch to the end. I couldn't believe how fast and easy the folding was. If you can make sense of my directions, you will love making rosettes twice as fast!!! You could use one inch, 1/2 inch if you're making larger rosettes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

Or does everyone do this and I'm the last to know??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2012, 09:59 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

brilliant! sometimes we forget the piece of paper has two sides
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Although I have a rosette die, I think that tip is brilliant!

The best tip I can come up with is one I learned the hard way: If you're as clumsy and messy as I am, wear old clothes or an apron while stamping, and never stamp on a table you really like without something protecting it. Oh, and if you're trying to convince your husband you need new carpet, stamping without laying a cover on the floor works really well...those ink pads seem to just jump off the table sometimes! Seriously, I can't tell you how many items of clothing bear the marks of my creativity (I now have a designated apron in my craft room), and I've labeled my craft table and craft room floor as "artsy" and "well-loved" with all their ink stains and random glitter.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2012, 03:54 AM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

My quick tip I learned from a pal that went to convention this past year....I'm doing the ornaments and that means a LOT of stamping and running thru my big shot....I figured out that I can die cut my paper in multiples then stamp in 'reverse' by inking up the stamp and pressing the die cut paper on it to stamp...I'm much more precise AND it's actually faster then cutting out 25 images independently! I place the paper on the stamp and press over it with another stamping block....does a great job and it's quick!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2012, 04:38 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8cardsView Post
Or does everyone do this and I'm the last to know??
I sure didn't and think this is a great idea! Can't wait to try it on my next rosette. Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2012, 07:43 AM   #8  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8cardsView Post
Okay, I'm glad you started this theme. I learned this from an older lady in our card group who really stamps very little, but I thought her tip was genius. I don't have a rosette die so I always score my strips by hand, and almost always at 1/4" because I like that size on cards. Anyway, every other fold can get tricky even if your score job is perfect. This sweet lady scores at every half inch, then turns her strip over, starts at 1/4", then scores every half inch to the end. I couldn't believe how fast and easy the folding was. If you can make sense of my directions, you will love making rosettes twice as fast!!! You could use one inch, 1/2 inch if you're making larger rosettes.
I'm definitely going to use this technique when I want 1/4" scores -- because I have so much trouble when it comes time to folding.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2012, 07:46 AM   #9  
Inking Addict

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmebrat0929View Post
My quick tip I learned from a pal that went to convention this past year....I'm doing the ornaments and that means a LOT of stamping and running thru my big shot....I figured out that I can die cut my paper in multiples then stamp in 'reverse' by inking up the stamp and pressing the die cut paper on it to stamp...I'm much more precise AND it's actually faster then cutting out 25 images independently! I place the paper on the stamp and press over it with another stamping block....does a great job and it's quick!
Thanks for this trick. I'm just about to start making my ornaments & this will be a huge time saver.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #10  
Inking Addict

If you don't have the rosette die but still want to make "fancy" edged rosettes, use an edge punch on the paper & then score the folds. Some punches work better than others - depending on whether you want a 1/4" or 1/2" fold.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2012, 07:51 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

I like to make my own dimensionals. I use 2mm (check the stack for the thinnest ones as even these vary in thickness) white fun foam sheets. I cut the sheet in half lengthwise so that the long strips will fit in my 510 Xyron machine. I use permanent adhesive cartridges in the machine. I run the strips each through the machine twice. One side....then flipping and running it through to put the sticky on the other side. Then punch them out with a small punch, I use flower one from the Itty Bitty Shapes Punch Pack set by Stampin Up. With the wax paper on each side of the foam, they slip through the punch fairly well. The money I save is awesome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2012, 07:57 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Another idea I use to correct the puddling of ink on the surface of clear stamps. I first ink up the stamp with versamark and then ink it with the colored ink, then stamp. Do this for each use, but remember to clean your stamp inbetween or your versamark pad will look terrible! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2012, 10:17 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I use a lot of recycled materials in my cardmaking and have found this tip very useful when scoring "unknown" card to make a card blank. Score the card on what will be the inside of the card blank and fold it as normal. Then re-fold it the right way round. This prevents (in 99.9% of cases) splitting and cracking down the fold, and often works even where the colour is printed on the card rather than a dyed-colour card.

Lynda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2012, 02:42 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Here is a great slick trick: If you use the red sticky tape or any of the heavy stick tapes, rub a glue stick over the sticky part and it gives you a little give to move animage around. Nice for projects!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2012, 06:07 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

i hope you don't mind but i thought i'd add a link here to the 'tips and techniques' thread that we started a while ago over on the other cardmaking forum i use.

hopefully you can get some helping tips from us Brits!!! xxx

Tips and Techniques Thread

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2012, 08:00 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 242 Likes on 130 Posts

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

You all probably already know this, but you can make your own glue dots with Aleene's Tack It Over and Over. I saved the paper roll from an old package of glue dots. I unroll the paper, squeeze out dots of the Aleene's, and when it dries you have your own glue dots! This has been so handy for me ~ I do this all the time and save money!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by delightfuldaisyView Post
You all probably already know this, but you can make your own glue dots with Aleene's Tack It Over and Over. I saved the paper roll from an old package of glue dots. I unroll the paper, squeeze out dots of the Aleene's, and when it dries you have your own glue dots! This has been so handy for me ~ I do this all the time and save money !
Just wondering if you ever made a price comparison to the cost of the Aleene's, how many glue dots possible to what a package of the same number of glue dots cost. Good to know in a pinch, but is is truly worth it when you consider time and effort in?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

WHERE do you get the Aleene's Tack It Over & Over glue????? I have been wanting to do this myself! ESPECIALLY now that our Walmart has QUIT selling Glue Dots! :/ There are NO CRAFTING stores near that sell Paper Crafting things!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

I believe I bought the Tack it Over and Over at Michael's. Seems like I've had it FOREVER if that tells you anything about how long it has lasted! It takes no time to squeeze out the drops and they dry overnight. I checked prices online and the price for the Aleene's is between 3.50 and $4 at most places. You would pay that or more for one box of glue dots. So it is definitely worth the time and the cost!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

I heat emboss everything. Sometime ago I decided to turn my heat gun on (faced away from my work area) and let it warm up before I stamp and apply the embossing powder. Then I heat from UNDERNEATH the cardstock. Cuts the time in half and reduces the amount of powder flying all over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

THANK YOU Ladies! Now, what would you recommend if you don't have the paper strips from glue dots to put the Aleene's glue on??? I wouldn't think wax paper would be slick enough! Any suggestions?

My crafting suggestion: Invest in GOOD TOOLS! I didn't at first & when things got tighter budget wise, then I felt it was time to invest in good tools! They were things I would use EVERYTIME I did my craft! (Score board, Cutter, etc.!) It makes crafting so much easier & more enjoyable!

When you comment on blogs, be EXCITED & POSITIVE! Comment on the little aspects of the projects presented! BE HAPPY!!!!!!!!! NEVER be NEGATIVE!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #23  
Swapper of the Month - July 2013

My tip for the day is tinfoil does not sharpen you cutting blade. In fact, those of you with ice rinks, take it to your skate sharpener. They can do it for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLadyView Post
THANK YOU Ladies! Now, what would you recommend if you don't have the paper strips from glue dots to put the Aleene's glue on??? I wouldn't think wax paper would be slick enough! Any suggestions?

My crafting suggestion: Invest in GOOD TOOLS! I didn't at first & when things got tighter budget wise, then I felt it was time to invest in good tools! They were things I would use EVERYTIME I did my craft! (Score board, Cutter, etc.!) It makes crafting so much easier & more enjoyable!

When you comment on blogs, be EXCITED & POSITIVE! Comment on the little aspects of the projects presented! BE HAPPY!!!!!!!!! NEVER be NEGATIVE!!!!!!!
I think wax paper would work, but, if not you could use any release sheet from xyron, sticky embellishments, double sided adhesive sheets or maybe even even a piece of acetate. I keep the release sheets from the stuff I use to remove wine labels for my record book. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

THANK YOU Jeanne3579!!!!!!!!!! SUPER IDEAS!!!!!!!! WHAT would we do without SCS Ladies????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

You might have some luck with scrap acetate from packaging. One thing I've used, but it may be hard to find (and definitely don't ask anyone younger than about 30 at the grocery store for it), is freezer paper. It has a plastic coating on one side and paper on the other. I use to use it all the time for templates for quilting. I asked a kid working in the Walmart food section if she knew where it would be and she looked at me like I had grown a second nose on my forehead...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

WHERE do you get the Aleene's Tack It Over & Over glue????? I have been wanting to do this myself! ESPECIALLY now that our Walmart has QUIT selling Glue Dots! :/ There are NO CRAFTING stores near that sell Paper Crafting things!
Besides Michael's, Joann carries it, Fred Meyers and I bet Staples, but I've never checked. Walmart might carry it in their school supplies as may many 5 and dime type stores. It is pretty much found in any place that sells tapes and adhesives. You can also get it on line from these stores. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Just wondering if you ever made a price comparison to the cost of the Aleene's, how many glue dots possible to what a package of the same number of glue dots cost. Good to know in a pinch, but is is truly worth it when you consider time and effort in?
Jeanne- I make my own and I do think it saves a lot of money. I like the quality of mine better. I can make the dots to fit my needs. I make strips in different sizes, dots in different sizes. It takes less than five minutes for me to make a batch. They are usually dry in twelve hours. I live in a humid area. I did a cost comparison of my glue dots. They came out less than a penny a piece over name brand and even Michael's brand.

I do understand what you meant that a lot of times in cost and time make do is not cheaper. Oh, how I now, lol. I love to make do but sometimes I am grumping about it. I have a lot of patience.

Tlady- I got my Tack It Over & Over at Michael's. You can get a huge bottle for around $6. This is what it looks like- Amazon.com: Aleene's Tack-It Over & Over Glue- 4 oz.: Office Products

You can use a coupon for it at Michael's. The glue is found in the adhesive section of the store. Not the scrapbooking adhesive section. Adhesive section is usually in the aisle with polymer clay.

I make a lot of stickers. I use a lot of stickers. I save the backings from my stickers to make my dots. I heard wax paper is a big no. I heard to use parchment paper. If you have a Xyron you can use the backing. If you have blank sticker paper you can use the backing. You can steal the backing from your kids stickers when they have finished using their sheets. Don't steal the sheet with the stickers still on. That's like a huge parenting no-no, ROFL. You can also save the sticker backing from your postal labels if you send a lot of mail. You can use the backing from address labels too.

creativechbdcrafts- I love your tips. Thank you for starting the thread. Especially love the blog verification tip. I am dyslexic so you can imagine how many times I am typing in verification.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 05:40 AM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

WOW! You ladies are SUPER!!!!!!!!!! MORE SUPER IDEAS!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Cat_woman, I DO know what you mean about the younger generation!

Jeanne3579, I'll have to check Walmart for that glue! Like I said, there are NO craft stores around with Papercrafts! The closest would be at least about an hour away! :( (Mountainous roads...)

lylacfey, You REALLY came up with MORE ideas I hadn't even thought of! & I'm ALL FOR saving $$$$$$!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!! YOU ladies are THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 05:50 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
You might have some luck with scrap acetate from packaging. One thing I've used, but it may be hard to find (and definitely don't ask anyone younger than about 30 at the grocery store for it), is freezer paper. It has a plastic coating on one side and paper on the other. I use to use it all the time for templates for quilting. I asked a kid working in the Walmart food section if she knew where it would be and she looked at me like I had grown a second nose on my forehead...
hahahaha.

These young people now days - they have missed out on soooo many things!

I would like for everyone one of them to use a dial phone with a short cord.

Ok, sorry for the off topic..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 06:13 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

TLady,
I think I saw some TIOAO at our local hardware store, but I'm not sure. Worth a look see at yours before you go over the mountain. I just did that where I am---80 miles over the "hill" the only stamping store I know of in the "area" to get some metallic card stock for Christmas cards. And we are already getting snow, so the passes will be tricky soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

lylacfey,
Thanks, for the needed encouragement to try to make the glue dots. I will want to make a bunch at once using the stack of release paper I've saved from the wine bottle label removers. So how can I store a bunch compactly since the back side of the sheets are not slick? If I can't store them neatly and they get stuck all over things and each other, then it will all be for nothing. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #33  
Cardstock Collector

Hi, I use the backing paper from a roll of Mac tac to make my glue dots. Aileen's tack it over and over makes great glue dots, you can make them any size you want and it takes no time at all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

jeanne3579,
Is TIOAO the same as the Aleene's Tack It Over & Over glue???? I haven't heard of that one! I'll put that on my Hubby's list too!!!!!!! (He's THE BEST to find things at the store for me! Remember in old frontier movies, when the husband "goes to town & picks up a yard of calico?" That's how it is here! ) THANK YOU!!!!!!!! And how about using freezer paper... to cover your glue dots on the wine bottle labels? Would that work?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

jeanne3579,
Is TIOAO the same as the Aleene's Tack It Over & Over glue???? I haven't heard of that one! I'll put that on my Hubby's list too!!!!!!! (He's THE BEST to find things at the store for me! Remember in old frontier movies, when the husband "goes to town & picks up a yard of calico?" That's how it is here! ) THANK YOU!!!!!!!! And how about using freezer paper... to cover your glue dots on the wine bottle labels? Would that work?
I guess I could use freezer paper, or just another release sheet turned upside down. I'll have to give that one more thought. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, TIOVAO is just my way of being lazy and not writing out the whole Aleene's glue name! Aleene's makes lots of different styles of glue, so be sure to get the right one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #36  
Hardware Hotshot

THANK YOU jeanne3579!!!!!! DAH!!!!!!!!! I JUST got it!!!!!!! (a little slow here! )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
lylacfey,
Thanks, for the needed encouragement to try to make the glue dots. I will want to make a bunch at once using the stack of release paper I've saved from the wine bottle label removers. So how can I store a bunch compactly since the back side of the sheets are not slick? If I can't store them neatly and they get stuck all over things and each other, then it will all be for nothing. Any ideas?
I hate to admit this I don't know how wine labels are made. I do read Saveur. I guess that's a bit of save for my food culture.

When I make my glue dots I take another sheet of my sticker paper and lay it over the top. I store the dots in my adhesive box. Right now I have eight rolls of foam dots and double sided tape on top of my glue dots. My dots look like new with no damage. My syringe of silicone glue keeps rolling on top of them too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

lylacfey, You REALLY came up with MORE ideas I hadn't even thought of! & I'm ALL FOR saving $$$$$$!!!!
Thank you so much. That is so sweet. I love making my own art supplies. Have you seen the Make Do thread over here- Ways to make do instead of buy new by Barbara Jay at Splitcoaststampers

A lot of us have posted some gems of tips and tricks for making our own things.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

Is freezer paper the same as parchment paper? Ok, you all can pick yourself off the floor from laughing, lol. I honestly don't know. I don't cook. If it is then you can use freezer paper. There is a huge thread over here on how to make your own glue dots. I remember reading no to wax paper yes to parchment paper. I can't remember if anybody said anything about freezer paper.

I use wax paper to coat my cardstock before I emboss. I use it to keep my punches nice and smooth. I use it when I make chocolate. I guess I kind of cook since I like to make chocolate.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 03:35 AM   #40  
Hardware Hotshot

DeeAnn,
You're too funny! YES! CHOCOLATE COUNTS!!!!!!! (HOW could it not???) Freezer paper isn't the same! Freezer paper is heavier & one side has a nice "wax" coating & used to wrap things for storage in the freezer whereas, Parchment paper is thinner & you don't feel the wax on it, & it's used for baking. The parchment paper does have wax in it though, when I've used it in the oven under baked goods & pull it out with my paddle & leave it set, you can see the wax a little on the paddle.

Where is the thread for the glue dots? Here at SCS?

Another tip: DON'T pay for classes on Techniques! You can find them right here & in other places for FREE!!!!!!!!!! Keep the things you use the most close at hand on your desk & if you find you want to use something more, leave it out on your desk! Anything close at hand will get used!
Reply With Quote Likes