Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-03-2012, 03:52 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patterned paper for cards?

What are your favorite patterned papers for cards? 12x12, 8x8, 6x6? What company? Where do you buy?

Thanks,
Amanda
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 04:37 AM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

For general "build my stash" stuff, I like to wander through Michael's and JoAnn's (in store and online) and grab whatever looks nice that day. I actually have a tons of DCVW and Reflections pads that I love and use all the time. The great thing about them is that they're inexpensive (I buy them 40% and 50% off on sale), and I can usually find what I'm looking for in my stash without having to go out and buy something new.

I buy the nicer more expensive papers for specific projects where I already have an idea in mind (Basic Grey's Olivia for my infant's scrapbook, Echo Park's Christmas stuff for December Daily, etc. etc. etc.). Actually, now that I think about it, I have *a lot* of Basic Grey. Most of that, I buy on line.

Blog: himynameistheresa

Last edited by asnowballschance; 11-03-2012 at 04:38 AM.. Reason: Edited to get brand names spelled right. :)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 06:30 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I love using 6x6 paper pads for card making. The patterns are scaled down from 12x12 and work nicely on cards. There are so many to choose from online. I used to buy a lot of DCWV but their paper pads have quite a bit in them and I get tired of the paper before I use it all up and they are 8x8 and I have more left overs. The six by six are all double sided so you get more to work with in a smaller pad. My favorites are My Minds Eye, Basic Grey and Bo Bunny. Hobby Lobby and Michaels have started carrying these in their stores now so you don't have to order online.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Love love love BO Bunny, Authentique and Echo Park...to name a few....you should see the stacks in my stamp room...Oh..maybe it is better if you do not. I use them for the cards with the fishtale type cuts they are PERFECT. Hobby Lobby has started to carry the Authentique pads..you can use a coupon on them.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I usually buy 12x12 because I scrapbook as well, but I also really like buying the smaller pads. I especially like using the mat stacks for cards. They're either 4.5 x 6.5 or 5.5 x 7.5 for matting photos on scrapbook pages, but they are perfect for cards since the patterns are smaller and so little waste and they are usually double sided. I often use just the strip left over as a piece of "ribbon" for the inside of my card. Works so well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 01:46 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for your input. I have been stamping and scrapping for 4 years now, but have never ventured into patterned paper. I did check on oozak and they have tons of the small 6x6 stacks and quite a few 8x8 as well. Gonna try out some of the brands you have mentioned. At $5 I can get a few.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 01:50 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Does anyone know if there are any companies that come close to coordinate with SU? I love there products but not sure about their papers. Never used them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 05:07 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

I love 6" x 6" paper packs. I like the smaller patterns. I love Pink Paislee, My Mind's Eye and Carta Bella...among a lot of others. LOL

I have an addiction and I get most of my "fixes" at Simonsaysstamp.com. They have a huge selection of everything you can think of!

my gallery - my blog

Last edited by Beate; 11-04-2012 at 05:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to be the odd man out here - I prefer the 12 x 12 pattern papers you can find in the large stack packs, like My Minds Eye, Kay & Co. and yes, even Recollections from Michaels.

I bought some of the smaller 6 x 6 and 8 x 8 packs, and although I do like the smaller size of the patterns, I didn't like being restricted by the small size of the paper.

When I make cards, I nearly always make multiples, at least 4 or so, and I like having the 12 x 12 pages to work with. I also make other things besides cards, like boxes, and altered notebooks with matching bookmarks, and the small size packs of course do not work for those things.

Also, I'm retired and on a fixed income, so the fact that you can get so many sheets in the large packs when they're on sale, or with a coupon, is very attractive to me.

I use the suitable patterns for cards, and the patterns that are too large for cards make great envelopes with the pattern inside and the white outside.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

A Stampin Up demo "taught" me years ago to start with patterned paper for your card, then work from there to build in the stamps, ribbons, etc.

That said, I used to like the Stampin Up patterned paper. A pak would go a long way and the colors coordinated.

This year, their patterned paper has a bazillon patterns and colors???????????
I don't get it. Won't buy any of it. Am not sure how it all goes together (and, some of it really DOESN'T go together). Not sure what they were hoping to achieve.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree, SU's DSP this year (and last) was a strange lot. They have way too much going on with colors, patterns, etc. All I got from the regular catalog was the Christmas one and now I'm probably going to do simple embossed cards for Christmas and not use it! The color family packs are simpler but rather expensive IMHO.

At least next year they'll have all new designs and we can hope they're more to our liking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

I love Bazzill Papers....plain and designer. I also like 12x12 but 8x8 will do in a pinch. 6x6 is just too small in the case of a boo boo or wanting to make multiples.

I am lucky to live 30 minutes from their warehouse and 2-3 times a year they have a huge sale with UNDER wholesale prices! Teachers can purchase a 12x12x8 box filled with assorted cs for $10.....I would buy their paper anyway, but this makes it so much better!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

I've been really into 6x6 packs lately. I love Echo Park and Authentique. I've only ordered Echo Park online but my A.C. Moore has been carrying Authentique paper now so I am a happy camper. OH...almost forgot...lots of Lost and Found 6x6 packs at A.C. Moore as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I just resigned as a SU demo for the reasons cited above -- the DSP is just gross -- I wasn't inspired by it for the last two, if not three, years. That said, I love Basic Grey, Bo Bunny, and have actually bought CTMH papers for years -- I love that they are double sided and they match -- and when I'm pumping out cards for the troops, I always start with patterned paper so I can make tons of cards in a hurry. My expericence is that they just want cards to send back and when I start with patterned paper, I can get them made much quicker and more easily. What I don't like about Basic Grey is that in their packs, you only get one piece of each pattern and I don't like having to buy Bo Bunny by the sheet -- but I certainly do love those papers, among others.

And I always buy 12 x 12 and am an avid scrap keeper, making only A2 cards -- just easier and I always have any envelope.

I don't understand 6 x 6 or 8 x 8 -- just a pain to work with for me, but we are all different!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8cardsView Post
I love Bazzill Papers....plain and designer. I also like 12x12 but 8x8 will do in a pinch. 6x6 is just too small in the case of a boo boo or wanting to make multiples.

I am lucky to live 30 minutes from their warehouse and 2-3 times a year they have a huge sale with UNDER wholesale prices! Teachers can purchase a 12x12x8 box filled with assorted cs for $10.....I would buy their paper anyway, but this makes it so much better!

Ohhhh........that sounds fun! Where is that?
Reply With Quote Likes