Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Well, new firm foam pads now a necessity!

I have had my issues with the new firm foam pads. I have had a rocky relationship with them, loving them for some things and feeling frustrated with them for others.

But now that I have gotten my Mega Mount and begun collecting Cover a Card stamps, I have seen the difference they make in inking and getting images using these large stamps. There is just no comparison. Even using full sized pads, it is like night and day.

So, today I ordered ten more firm foam pads, which brings me up to seventeen all together, and I ordered reinkers for everything, the ones I already have and the ones I just ordered.

(I have been very bad about getting reinkers in general, always choosing to get a new color instead of a reinker for one I have. The day is coming when I am going to have to get reinkers for all my Distress Inks and I don't even want to think about that.)

I could not take advantage of the slight discount for buying by family. I have to order the colors I use most and they are all over the place in terms of color families.

I even ordered new pads for two pads I only ordered some months ago - before the change-over to the new firm foam. That's how much I wanted my favorites in the new incarnation.

So now my firm foam replacement journey has begun in earnest. I can resist no longer.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 07:32 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not familiar with firm foam. I am going to have do an internet search. Hopefully I won't find that absolutely I NEED it;).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Well, let's be honest, no one really NEEDS most things (as in absolutely must have OR ELSE...) when it comes to crafting, we just feel like we do!

I'm surprised you haven't heard about SU's new version of their classic pads.

Just go on YouTube and search for SU new firm foam pads and you'll see a bunch of videos about these pads. Here's one:

New SU ink pads - YouTube

Last edited by Rachelrose; 11-01-2012 at 07:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree that they are super nice for a lot of stamps. I have some colors that I've decided that I HAVE to switch over to the new style for and the rest I'll keep using the pads I have and slowly switch out over time.

RAWS, the firm foam are a new style that is really all about the pad itself changing out to a more spongey texture which helps give a more saturated color when you stamp and smoother image (instead of some texture transfering when you stamp a solid image). Plus with the extra saturation of ink, you can actually do some heat embossing or stamping on cotton ribbon more easily than before... or at least that has been my experience.

If you are curious to see a comparison of the old style and the new, I have a video as well that I show stamping with the old pads vs stamping with the new pads - About Stampin' Up! Firm Foam Ink Pads - YouTube
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I resisted the new pads until I used a big background stamp. Amazing!!! I am loving them too!!!!

I have been ordering reinkers as well. I have two color families and need the last two yet!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Luckily, I don't have lots of full size pads to replace. I only bought four before the switch, and my SIL had given me four of her old ones. I've really been working almost completely with spots. (Try inking a big background stamp with one of those!)

But really, the Mega Mount and the CAC stamps totally opened my eyes to what was so great about those firm foams! I can get layered looks that rival DP!

Last edited by Rachelrose; 11-01-2012 at 09:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Will the old reinkers work on the new pads, or do we have to buy new reinkers too?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Michelle, the old reinkers will work on the new pads with the exception of the following 5 colors: Basic Black, Basic Gray, Tempting Turquoise, Perfect Plum, and Marina Mist. For those 5 you will need new reinkers to go to with the new pads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWstamperView Post
Michelle, the old reinkers will work on the new pads with the exception of the following 5 colors: Basic Black, Basic Gray, Tempting Turquoise, Perfect Plum, and Marina Mist. For those 5 you will need new reinkers to go to with the new pads.
Thank you so much! I was mainly worried about chocolate Chip and it looks like that one will work
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I have heard about the new SU pads. I just didn't make the connection. I am going to a stamp camp soon. Hopefully I will get to try them out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

I'm sure you will! No question in my mind that there will be folks that have them and you can try them out. They are very different from the classic pad we are used to. I'll look forward to hearing what you think of them!
Reply With Quote Likes