Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are These Punches Rejects?

Yesterday I picked up the Martha Stewart punch around the page Floral Crochet set from Ross. The corner punch does not line up with the edge punch. Has this happened to anyone else? Could this be a reject?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I suppose it's possible...lots of things in Ross/TJM/Marshalls are imperfect...but if it means anything, I watched a tutorial on the MS around the page punches once and even the guy doing the tutorial said that they are very hard to master and if you don't give it a lot of practice, your edges will not match up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyMel2View Post
I suppose it's possible...lots of things in Ross/TJM/Marshalls are imperfect...but if it means anything, I watched a tutorial on the MS around the page punches once and even the guy doing the tutorial said that they are very hard to master and if you don't give it a lot of practice, your edges will not match up.
Yes, I would tend to think that the punch is okay. I've seen tons of posts from people who have lots of trouble lining up the around the page punches. It seems to depend very much on the size of the paper and where you start and stop.

You might search on Youtube and see what you can find. There are lots of videos about Martha punches there.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
It seems to depend very much on the size of the paper and where you start and stop.

Yes, I have heard this as well. Personally, I just now, for the first time ever, have ordered an edge and matching corner punch from SU and I am scared to death that I won't figure it out! I am preparing myself and visiting youtube!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The trick is, as mentioned, first make sure you have the right size paper, and second, punch the corners first then use the edge punch to finish it off. Its virtually impossible to line it up if you try to start in the middle of an edge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Yes, there should be a little instruction sheet in the box that tells you to cut your cardstock to specific sizes.....squares or rectangles. Otherwise everything will be off.
If you don't have the instruction sheet, the sizes (in inches) are: 3.25, 5, 6.75, 8.5, 10.25, 12. These can be squares or any combination of the sizes for rectangles.
Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Maybe my paper size was incorrect. I hope to have some time tomorrow to sit and really look at them.
Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

I haven't check out the Ross stores. I didn't realize they were carrying punches, etc. I have bought several EK Success and Martha Stewart punches from Marshalls and TJ Maxx and so far they have all been fine.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

If you have a Tuesday Morning nearby, they have some huge deals on paper crafting supplies. I recently got 2 ten-packet bundles of self-adhesive jewels for $4.99 each. I would have spent $40-60 on them at JoAnns or Michaels. The Tim Holtz Sizzix dies were $8.99......punches are cheap, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

I have everything in my area except a hobby lobby. I get in so much trouble I'm trying to stay away from all of them. Ross, TJ Maxx and Marshalls don't carry as much as they used to. I've become more of a collector than a crafter. I don't know what I would do if there was a hobby lobby near me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8cardsView Post
Yes, there should be a little instruction sheet in the box that tells you to cut your cardstock to specific sizes.....squares or rectangles. Otherwise everything will be off.
If you don't have the instruction sheet, the sizes (in inches) are: 3.25, 5, 6.75, 8.5, 10.25, 12. These can be squares or any combination of the sizes for rectangles.
Hope that helps.
Just curious...is this for the MS punches only? I am wondering if I am going to have the same questions when I go to play with my SU punches that just arrived!! The ones I have are the scallop edge and corner...not the traditional scallop edge, the one with the loops (?) on it, not solid scallops. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

I can't answer that because I don't have any SU corner punches. If I were you, I'd do a little trial and error thing until I found the right sizes. As someone else said, start with the corners and punch from one corner to the next with the straight border. But it certainly can't hurt to use a MS measurement and see what happens!

Don't feel badly...I have ruined plenty of cs with my punching abilities....once you get the hang of it, it will get better!

Marcia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

The SU ones are terribly hard to figure out. So I bought a lot of the MS ones. If your paper is the right size and you do all four corners first, you should have no trouble at all. Normally I choose SU over anything but a friend and I tried to line them up and just wasted a lot of time and paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Well, it looks like it's time to pull out some of my scraps...I knew I was saving them for SOMETHING! haha! I will try and get some punching in tonight...if I come up with measurements different from the ones that gr8cards gave above, I will post a follow up Thanks for the tips!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

After playing with these punches for a while I finally figured it out. I punched a 4x4 square and a 6x10 rectangle. The pattern is actually quite beautiful. The problem was there was only half of the image you line up to match right beside the middle part which showed no detail at all. It was the only place left to try and line up the image and that was it. The instructions were really no help except giving the sizes of paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #16  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 785 Likes on 321 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyMel2View Post
Just curious...is this for the MS punches only? I am wondering if I am going to have the same questions when I go to play with my SU punches that just arrived!! The ones I have are the scallop edge and corner...not the traditional scallop edge, the one with the loops (?) on it, not solid scallops. Thanks!!!
I have that edge punch and I love it, I use it a lot!
I also have a corner rounder that I have trouble with. It often punches an uneven corner. I try to hold the paper straight and line it up evenly ... but no luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2012, 06:38 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

Here is a great tutorial for the SU one. It might help with the MS one as well. She generously shared her hard work in figuring it all out.
Gretchen Barron: Tutorial -- Scallop Trim Border and Corner Punch -- Cutting Squares and Rectangles
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by babe54View Post
After playing with these punches for a while I finally figured it out. I punched a 4x4 square and a 6x10 rectangle. The pattern is actually quite beautiful. The problem was there was only half of the image you line up to match right beside the middle part which showed no detail at all. It was the only place left to try and line up the image and that was it. The instructions were really no help except giving the sizes of paper.
The MS punches have specific paper sizes that must be used. So a 4x4 technically shouldn't work. You can use any combination of the following sizes: 3 1/4, 5, 6 3/4, 8 1/2, 10 1/4, and 12. So you could do a 3 1/4x5 or
3 1/4 x 3 1/4 or 3 1/4 x 12 or any other combination of those numbers, but you must use their measurements or you won't get them to match up. KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

The instruction sheet says your paper size must be any combination of any two sizes (4,6,8,10 or 12 inches) square or a rectangle. That's why I tried a 4x4 square and a 6x10 rectangle. The only thing I can think of is maybe it has something to do with the particular pattern? I will try some of the sizes you mentioned to see if they work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2012, 04:53 AM   #20  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

The instruction sheet says your paper size must be any combination of any two sizes (4,6,8,10 or 12 inches) square or a rectangle. That's why I tried a 4x4 square and a 6x10 rectangle. The only thing I can think of is maybe it has something to do with the particular pattern? I will try some of the sizes you mentioned to see if they work.
Ohhhh wait. You may have the larger MS punches. Those sizes would definately be different! Those are made for scrapbook pages. I buy the smaller one for cardmaking! So if your 4x4 worked, then I would guess you have the larger punch around the page punches! I don't have any of those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Muscrat,
It is the punch around the page set which could also be used for card making. The 4x4 looks like a beautiful square lace doily. You could just use the punch for a border without the corners as well or vice versa. The chain stores pay more for these punches than what TJ Maxx and others are selling them for(told to me by an insider). I paid 3.99 and 4.99 for MS punches that are sitting on the box store shelves right now for 29.99 & 34.99.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

It's too bad the border punches aren't a standard size for all manufacturers.....I buy mine for the design anyway, but it would be nice if the paper sizes were always the same. I notice that some brands of circle punches are called small, medium or large, rather than going by the inches. What is that all about?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Muscrat,
It is the punch around the page set which could also be used for card making. The 4x4 looks like a beautiful square lace doily. You could just use the punch for a border without the corners as well or vice versa. The chain stores pay more for these punches than what TJ Maxx and others are selling them for(told to me by an insider). I paid 3.99 and 4.99 for MS punches that are sitting on the box store shelves right now for 29.99 & 34.99.
What size is your corner punch for this set? Mine measures 1 3/4 " wide and 2" deep and about 4 1/4 tall. They have larger punch around the pages, so I thought maybe you had one of those because all of mine have the other sizes I mentioned in the previous post. (3 1/4; 5; 6 3/4 etc)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8cardsView Post
It's too bad the border punches aren't a standard size for all manufacturers.....I buy mine for the design anyway, but it would be nice if the paper sizes were always the same. I notice that some brands of circle punches are called small, medium or large, rather than going by the inches. What is that all about?
I've noticed that kind of thing, too. I think it is due to a consipiracy for Consumer Confusion. They confuse us, we buy the wrong thing, so we go back and buy another whatever-it-is (and never return the wrong thing, lol.)

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes