Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Its been almost a year since . . .

I've crafted. Anything! I don't miss it. I have no mojo, and no desire to find it. I wonder if I'm over it. My husband will have my head on a stick if that's the case. :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I misssss youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

awww thanks Lydia.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going through a phase of absolutely no mojo either. Just a couple of months at this point, though, LOL! The only creating is those "must have" b-day cards and thank you cards.
I think we all go through different phases and for me personally, life is just so hetic that creating is just not appealing right now. But, I still miss it. I just don't have the energy to clean up the mess from the last creative tornado and try something new.

I'm wondering if maybe you need to try another creative outlet (that you could use those supplies on!!): say for example: a mixed media canvas or journal, a home decor piece, maybe just something as simple as a place setting name tag for the upcoming holidays.

OR....maybe it is time to just put aside this particular "art" for a while and try something new. Photography...needle work....cooking class....

Or maybe it is just time to read a book, enjoy watching new movies, play mind puzzle games in the evening.

Do what feels right for you!!
Exploring Creativity~blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

wenchie, I wondered what happened to you. I miss all your beautiful boxes, your wit and your encouragement when I was down. I pray we haven't seen the last of you. Maybe you just need a little break, we all do at times. Please take care of your self and know that all of us here will be waiting for your return to crafting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

when that has happened to me it ended up that I was on a slow slow down hill slide to depression :( it all started with no craft mojo then after a year I started getting weepy about everything then angry...finally i talked to my dr..I am not saying that is whats happening to you, but I wish i had noticed it sooner or someone in the family would have said hey maybe you are depressed could have saved me a lot of lost time just be cautious and pay attention to yourself maybe its just a phase and you will get out of it soon and its not anything serious...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did another passion replace crafting? If you found another passion, you could be growing -- and that's a good thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Been there too. I am looking at about 15 completed scrapbooks, and I don't want to do another page. I feel obligated to document the last year of the kids in high school, but after that, I can't imagine doing another page.

I may feel differently in a few years, but I am not missing it right now. I'll stick to cards until that doesn't interest me anymore too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Although I have been crafting, I haven't done any Paper crafting in a long time. Over the years I have found that my crafting seems to go in cycles. I used to love to crosstitch and haven't done that in years. I haven't done any stamping or scrapbooking in a long time. I think I may be over it. I've been revamping and repurposing old furniture. It is WAY more profitable than my papercrafting EVER was! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I was wondering were you went to????? I have been sick with migraines in May and June. Recouping now and dealing with tension headaches and increased part time hours at work, school with the kids too.

Have not made cards since june, some quick,simple ones for bdays and grad. And have not spent any money on stamps or supplies I think since Jan or Feb.

Hope we both get some mojo or inspiration back soon.

Hope you are doing well!!! Miss your blog too!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wenchie it's good to see you on here! Funny but you posted on da bus about a week ago and I had been wondering about you. I miss that sense of humor of yours! Can always seem to count on you for a good laugh. I hope you aren't done paper crafting because you are so talented. Take care and may the mojo god bless you!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Wenchie!! I know what you mean. I've hardly done anything in the last year myself. I've been slowly getting back into it. It didn't help that my room ended up being the catch all for all the junk in the house, so I just got down and cleaned it out so I had room to work again. I've been doing a couple swaps & challenges (over at Scraptures) to get me back into it. I did comment on your blog the other day (on your last post in November...). Maybe try something small to get you going again. That's all I'm doing to keep my toes wet...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh, and if you are over it, can I move in and use your stuff??? Huh, huh?? (Have you ladies seen her awesome studio???)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2012, 04:31 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

I miss you, wenchie! And you, too, Starla! But I have to admit, I'm in the same boat. I think it was the blogging that did me in. I stopped posting cards on my blog in August, which meant that I didn't have to make cards for my blog, which lead to not making any cards, period.

It felt as if I was on a treadmill going nowhere...a treadmill that looked a lot like me making cards for challenges and blogs, needing to purchase new product constantly to stay "current", having more cards than I actually needed, having more products than I actually needed, and this same cycle happening over and over again. In the end, I just felt poor and uninspired.

I hate to say it, but it also feels as if the energy level here at SCS has dropped way off. Maybe it's because SCS has become so fragmented with member companies and their own forums. Or perhaps it has more to do with an over-saturation in this craft. I really miss the community feeling here.

I'm not giving up, though. Just taking a much needed break. In the meantime, I'm still being creative with needle art, writing, music, and even doodling and water color painting. I may shift focus and start scrapbooking and art journalling instead.

We need some inspiration, people! Send us some creative caffeine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2012, 06:23 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

I have not made a card since February, thankfully I have enough cards in my stash that I don't have to buy any yet for family. I started coloring images about a week ago just to get my feet wet again and I am hoping that I can make at least some Christmas cards for family and close friends this year. I do go in cycles with my different crafts, but I do eventually come back to them after a little break.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2012, 06:39 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

I know how you feel. I haven't touched a scrapbook page in well over 6 months (which was my first love), and other than the required birthday or anniversary card when necessary, I hadn't done any cards in forever. Now, I am in full on card making mode because of a bazaar in November for our church that I contribute about 50% of the sales for. But instead of enjoying what I am doing, I am finding it to be just another chore - clean the house, make dinner, organize for tomorrow, then disappear and make cards/paper crafts. I am a bit panicked though, as I have so much to do, and am running out of time to do it.

I think after this year's bazaar, I am going to try and switch streams and concentrate more on other crafts (which may or may not involve paper) to contribute for next years bazaar. Pinterest (which I am hooked on btw) has given me some great ideas, and I have started collecting things to repurpose/recycle/refashion. I think in this crazy throw-away society, seeing projects using previously loved things and giving them a new life is a great motivator to get myself in gear.

I hope your mojo comes back, but if it doesn't for cards, like others have said, hopefully a new creative outlet will present itself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

OH gosh I feel ya too!
I had to have an emergency surgery late spring/early summer..add an ill child..lost commissions...summer vacation..4 kids home..school starting, after school activities and the never ending cleaning/cooking etc..I hit a major burn out. I am just wetting my feet again by coloring..with no purpose in mind..just coloring. I actually bought some thank you cards and birthday day cards recently. I was kind of ashamed to do it since I have spent a TON of money on this hobby over the years but honestly I just couldn't bring myself to make them. If something doesn't give I will just start selling.
Art was my first love. It is what I went to college for..but somehow I let envy and self esteem talk me right out of it..makes my heart sad really.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Oh my gosh, I just went to your gallery. It's not wonder your burnt out. You have some complicated projects and you have put together a beautiful craft room. I hope at some point you find your way back to paper crafting. It's obvious that your are a wonderfully talented lady.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
I miss you, wenchie! And you, too, Starla! But I have to admit, I'm in the same boat. I think it was the blogging that did me in. I stopped posting cards on my blog in August, which meant that I didn't have to make cards for my blog, which lead to not making any cards, period.

It felt as if I was on a treadmill going nowhere...a treadmill that looked a lot like me making cards for challenges and blogs, needing to purchase new product constantly to stay "current", having more cards than I actually needed, having more products than I actually needed, and this same cycle happening over and over again. In the end, I just felt poor and uninspired.

I hate to say it, but it also feels as if the energy level here at SCS has dropped way off. Maybe it's because SCS has become so fragmented with member companies and their own forums. Or perhaps it has more to do with an over-saturation in this craft. I really miss the community feeling here.

I'm not giving up, though. Just taking a much needed break. In the meantime, I'm still being creative with needle art, writing, music, and even doodling and water color painting. I may shift focus and start scrapbooking and art journalling instead.

We need some inspiration, people! Send us some creative caffeine!
Awwwww! Thanks MaryRose!

I have to agree with you on the "feel" of SCS now. I miss the old days of the challenge chasers and the personal feeling the groups had. I still chat a bit with Melody (lacyquilter) and DawnMercedes in the Original Challenge Chasers thread. Just the three of us. So sad!! Guess everyone moved on with being DD, DT team members, etc.

In reading your thoughts, it came to me that the "creative" side is still there. It has just been detoured onto other paths. I've been trying new recipes (vegetarian, even some vegan in the attempt to be more health conscience) and have been trying to get out the camera more. I need to realize that my blog was started to share creativity, in different mediums and does not have to be focused on paper crafting only.

Sooo, THANKS!! Maybe the paper crafting will be inspired by other avenues. Maybe I just need to refresh with something different and new!
Exploring Creativity~blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
Oh, and if you are over it, can I move in and use your stuff??? Huh, huh?? (Have you ladies seen her awesome studio???)
Oh oh oh - I just sneaked a peek and I'm pretty sure there is room for us to share!

I never have enough time so I'm a frustrated crafter. Wenchie, it's something you may come back to - don't worry about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2012, 06:57 AM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by wenchieView Post
I've crafted. Anything! I don't miss it. I have no mojo, and no desire to find it. I wonder if I'm over it. My husband will have my head on a stick if that's the case. :confused:
Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
I misssss youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Me Too!

I was just thinking about you the other day. I am getting ready to make a holder for my copics out of foam board. I was going back to check out your posts and the really nice things you made.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

I stopped enjoying stamping for over 2 years. I never thought that I would like it again and then one day I just did! I would advise you to hold onto to your supplies for another year or so, lol. You just never know. :-)

Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

I am glad to see you popped in Wenchie, you and your work and humor have been missed. I would suggest you just keep doing what you are doing, when you are ready, you will pick it up, or maybe not, but either way you will do it because you want to. I am taking some online classes for myself and having a blast doing that, and even took my first painting class last month with Dina Wakley. I never painted on canvas and wanted to try something "different". It was fun, and I have been enjoying using paints now on my cards.. All the best to you!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

I wonder if I'm past my prime as a stamper as well(?) I found SCS in '07 a year after I joined a stampers 10 group and fell in love with the site especially the SU! gallery since I had just started stampin with SU!

Two years later I lost my job but enjoyed getting out to stamp every month with the club and I still made all my holiday cards. Three years later I no longer stamp with a club and am rarely in my stamping space except to make holiday cards.

There are times I want to stop and just sell off everything; but I still love cardmaking-- even though most people don't send holiday cards per se (everyone seems to send out photo card greetings). So I keep on cardmaking because I enjoy it--over the summer my SIL was visiting and saw the new SU! catty and said "you're still doing the stamping thing"--yes, I am; even though not as much as I'd like to. But that's okay.

I think eventually things will improve and I hope to someday sign up as a demo, but until then I just hold on to the fact that my mojo isn't lost--it's just dormant for the time being.

I do lament that SCS isn't what it used to be--it's far less communal and more business oriented toward member companies and their forums. The original SCS was great; I'd love to see that spirit return to this site.

Hang in there, Wenchie!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Is your room perhaps too big for what you need? I don't mean this as a judgement, I am literally asking if it's too much stuff? I work in a very well-stocked scrapbook store that caters to almost all of the different forms of papercrafts (art journaling, scrapbooking, cardmaking in all its forms) and I get customers asking me all the time "Do you use THIS product? Do you use THAT one??" and when I say no they gasp!! Oh Tobi doesn't own something in the store?? Well..... NO!! I pick certain areas of this crazy crafting universe that interest me and that's it. I don't do paper quilling/glitter ritz/altered items and SO many more things... And also, for the most part I only work with stamp companies I design for - there isn't enough time in the day to do more...

Maybe a little re-prioritization and re-focus could do your mojo some good!! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

WOW! Let me say, you ladies have lifted my spirits.

Amber, you have hit the nail on the head and admitting that I have fallen prey to depression is something I have been unwilling to say out loud.

It's been a very difficult and painful climb out, but the journey to recovery would not be possible until I was willing to admit my true circumstance to myself. Depression is not something most, including myself are, willing to admit to have succumbed to. It's for the weak, or so I thought. I pride myself on being strong and having the ability to overcome adversity. What an outrageous notion huh? It's not my nature to be depressed, but I have found myself, nonetheless in the depression arena. It is a disease that I have fought against and resisted for a very long time. I guess one can only fight for so long before it gets the better of you, and once you are able to reconcile the notion that you have this condition, can you step onto the road to recovery. I have spent many months fighting to find a way out back into sunny and happy days and I really believe I am on my way to better days.

Anyways, I don't want to drag anyone down. After nearly a year, I do believe I am on my way back to finding my mojo and thinking about creating again. I made an autumn wreath today, and it is truly horrendous LOL but I made it, and the fact that I did, makes it beautiful to me.

I just wanted to stop in and thank you all for taking the time to post in response and I have enjoyed reading your stories. Thank you all for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes