Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tornado stamp ideas please!!!!

I am in need of some ideas...I have been given a challenge on making some cards using a stamp of a tornado. This person wants twelve cards made and each one different.
I am at a loss for ideas.. The only thing I have come up with is doing the brayering of a stormy sky and the tornado in the background. I could really use some ideas if anyone has some.
I'm seriously thinking of saying no to this...honestly...a tornado stamp?? Not even toto.
Thanks to all that can help me.

Mary
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may seem like a silly question, but does it need to represent an actual "tornado"? Or is the challenge to just use the stamp in some way?

I mean, could you use it for other things, like: a witches hat, a cornacopia, a tree, those things old guys used to use in cartoons to help them hear better... (I realize that some of these might not work, since i don't know exactly what the stamp looks like.)

Who needs tattoos? I already have ink in strange places...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 11:44 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Traci's ideas sound great!

You could also try pairing up with with punny sentiments (computer generated is a good way to go here!) or even jokes for kids' cards. Things like "you have me in a spin" or "what's a tornado's favorite game?" (put the answer inside the card - Twister!).

Could you make a fun abstract-looking background with it? Use funky colours and turn it at different angles on the paper, maybe? Or in interlocking rows if the angle of the point works OK for that.

Can you show us an image of the stamp to see if that sparks any other ideas for us?

HTH!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2012, 02:15 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

great ideas so far...as for the image. I'll try to upload a pic after work today. She wants the cards to send to an adult male that is from Kansas. Thanks for the replies...I appreciate any help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2012, 02:25 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I learned how to storm chase in Kansas. What I will always remember in Kansas is the large fields of corn and sunflowers. I would watch the tornadoes drop down in those fields. It sounds like devastation but it was so pretty. I have been in some horrible, horrible tornadoes too. The pretty ones in Kansas were always in the fields. Does that help any? It's hard to make tornado stamps. The ones I have seen I don't like. :( They always seem so cartoonish.

I get asked this so much when I chased. "Have you seen a flying cow?" Thanks to Twister that is everyone's favorite question, lol. Yes, I have seen a flying cow. I have only seen it once when I was a little girl. I have a friend who chases in the heart of Kansas and he has seen it several times. You could do a flying cow card. Apparently it happens quite a bit in Kansas even though I seen it only once. I did see a skating cow one time during an ice storm. That was more funny than the flying cow. The flying cow I saw was fine. The tornado plopped her down in another field. She was just freaked out.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't help it, I have to ask you: Who gave you this "challenge" and why do you feel you have to do it? All the cards are being sent to the same person? Like as a gift? From her or you?

Maybe it's none of my beeswax. But your post is just so intriguing.

And, yeah, I'd like to see the stamp as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2012, 04:38 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

a lady I work with bought this stamp while she was home visiting family. (Kansas). She has a relative that is incarcerated and wants to send him a card every month and for some reason she wants them all to be the tornado stamp! GO figure.....:confused:
I really am at a loss on this one and honestly, I have so many other card orders to complete that I may just have to say no to her.
I've tried to come up with some ideas but so far nada.

I do appreciate all the responses you all have given me though. Still working on an image to post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2012, 04:49 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

found the image here...hope this helps
Miscellaneous
it is the 6th image down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2012, 05:22 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's kind of an interesting stamp.

So this is for pay, not a favor. So you can easily say no, so sorry, but you have too many orders piled up and don't feel you can get this done in a reasonable amount of time.

What makes this a challenge to my mind is that the recipient is incarcerated. Ordinarily you could use the stamp in a simple layout, or a series of simple layouts, and rely on clever sentiments that played off words like "storm" and "twister" and phrases like "coming your way" or "and you thought you weren't in Kansas anymore." But what sentiment can you put on a card meant for someone in jail that goes with a tornado stamp? "Hope your days are not too stormy!"? "Bet you didn't see this coming!"?"I'm sure this is a different "twist" on life for you!"? "Well, you certainly aren't in Kansas anymore!"?

What does this woman want these cards to convey? Has she said? Or does she just want notecards, with no sentiment? In that case, you could just use the stamp in a simple layered frame and do a bunch of tried and true layouts and be done with it.

It sounds like a tough assignment to me.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 10-06-2012 at 05:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2012, 06:24 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by amcfanView Post
a lady I work with bought this stamp while she was home visiting family. (Kansas). She has a relative that is incarcerated and wants to send him a card every month and for some reason she wants them all to be the tornado stamp! GO figure.....:confused:
I really am at a loss on this one and honestly, I have so many other card orders to complete that I may just have to say no to her.
I've tried to come up with some ideas but so far nada.

I do appreciate all the responses you all have given me though. Still working on an image to post
Wow, that is a challenge. Such a strange one. Was he arrested for fighting with a tornado, lol. I am wondering about the tornado reference too. I hope these aren't revenge cards like something bad happened in the tornado and she is trying to remind him. Trust me, I have friend going through that now. He lost a loved one in the Joplin tornado he was trying to protect. His family is blaming him. They keep finding things to hurt him about it. It was not his fault.

I wouldn't take on the commission either. I wouldn't even know what to make. Christmas card tornado, Easter card tornado, Halloween card tornado. I couldn't come up with ideas about themes like that per month. A project like that would drive me batty.

I got asked to do a Red Hat project like that. No offense to the Red Hat ladies but I am not old enough to be one yet. I still have a couple of decades to go. I do love your hats. You girls get the best hats it's like the Kentucky Derby hat club meeting per month.

I didn't know what to make for these ladies. I know Red Hat ladies fight a lot about where to eat and they gossip. Least, that's what my Mom's friends do, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Hmmm, given that they need to go in to a jail I think I'd decline the request as well! I believe the rules for what you can send in to a jail are pretty tough - no layering, for example, some embellishments are not allowed etc etc. Combine those restrictions with the need to use the same stamp to produce 12 different cards and it's more than challenging!

If you did take it on, it's worth checking what restrictions are in place so that the cards don't just get rejected and sent back.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Like some of the others...this is very intriguing and I wondered "why?....what?" after reading your post. We have lived through a tornado...the destruction is unbelievable...the request still leaves me wondering why...lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Rachelrose....you are too funny! I was rolling reading your post.
I guess I will decline this project. This person is a litte "off" anyway.
I appreciate the response regarding the rules on what can be sent into a jail. I didn't even think of that. I doubt she did either.
The recipient is her nephew and she just wants him to know that someone is thinking of him. I told her I would be happy to make her some cards to send him but the tornado stamps is too much.
My only theory is because they are from Kansas.?
Once again...thanks for all the responses. I truly appreciate all the help.

Now, on to my other projects.

Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Likes