Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Alcohol Markers - Spectrum Noir

I was wondering if any of you have used that brand.
I currently use COPIC which I love! But its hard to collect all they have because of the cost.
Spectrum Noir had comments in the past that said caps were hard to take off or ink leak from getting cap off. Other than that they look like good markers.
I was wondering if possibly they have improved in their design of use of caps??
I have pain in hands and that's why I'm concerned with ease of cap.

Any input??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Paige, I just got several sets of the Spectrum Noir markers. First, they have a harder nib/tip than the Copics, not a brush tip. So if you love the brush tip on Copics, they are probably not for you.

I have some Copics, lots of Bics and Sharpies, and quite a few of the Touch Twin markers, so I'm used to using different types of tips. The Spectrum Noir really remind me a lot of the Touch Twin, in fact.

They are certainly very cheap compared to Copics, which is why I bought them.

I had read comments about the tops being hard to get off, so I was prepared for that. And yes, several were VERY hard to get off. In fact, I had to use pliers the first time I took the top off. After I got the top off, it became easier with each use. Some of the tops came off quite easily. I don't know what the deal is with that. Quality control, I guess.

If you really have trouble with your hands, you might not want to take the chance of getting a batch with difficult tops. Other than that, they are great markers, and come in lots of good colors.

You might want to check out the Touch Twin markers. I got a set of them that I am very pleased with. The tops are perfectly easy to take on and off. I got an older version, which had the harder nibs, and they were very reasonable. I think the newer versions of the Touch Twin have brush tips and are more expensive.

Here is a link to where I got my Touch Twin. They are very inexpensive, only $19.99 for a set of 12. They don't have too much of a color selection left, but I would highly recommend them.

ShinHan Touch Twin Marker Sets - JerrysArtarama.com

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Paige, I just got several sets of the Spectrum Noir markers. First, they have a harder nib/tip than the Copics, not a brush tip. So if you love the brush tip on Copics, they are probably not for you.

I have some Copics, lots of Bics and Sharpies, and quite a few of the Touch Twin markers, so I'm used to using different types of tips. The Spectrum Noir really remind me a lot of the Touch Twin, in fact.

They are certainly very cheap compared to Copics, which is why I bought them.

I had read comments about the tops being hard to get off, so I was prepared for that. And yes, several were VERY hard to get off. In fact, I had to use pliers the first time I took the top off. After I got the top off, it became easier with each use. Some of the tops came off quite easily. I don't know what the deal is with that. Quality control, I guess.

If you really have trouble with your hands, you might not want to take the chance of getting a batch with difficult tops. Other than that, they are great markers, and come in lots of good colors.

You might want to check out the Touch Twin markers. I got a set of them that I am very pleased with. The tops are perfectly easy to take on and off. I got an older version, which had the harder nibs, and they were very reasonable. I think the newer versions of the Touch Twin have brush tips and are more expensive.

Here is a link to where I got my Touch Twin. They are very inexpensive, only $19.99 for a set of 12. They don't have too much of a color selection left, but I would highly recommend them.

ShinHan Touch Twin Marker Sets - JerrysArtarama.com
Interesting, Are the Twin markers alcohol? I just saw permanent. How do they blend?? Do they look as nice as the Copic?? I like trying different things. I have various water based markers, water color pencils and reg. colored pencils.
I love the Copics and the brush tip , but I think I could adjust the the Spectrum tip. I was thinking if the Spectrums caps loosen up after removed , I could have my husband take caps off and on a few times for me, think that would work??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by paigewithpanacheView Post
Interesting, Are the Twin markers alcohol? I just saw permanent. How do they blend?? Do they look as nice as the Copic?? I like trying different things. I have various water based markers, water color pencils and reg. colored pencils.
I love the Copics and the brush tip , but I think I could adjust the the Spectrum tip. I was thinking if the Spectrums caps loosen up after removed , I could have my husband take caps off and on a few times for me, think that would work??
The Touch Twin are alcohol, just like Copics. As to blending, I really don't "blend" with lots of shades like some people do. I only use a couple shades of a color usually. So I'm not the best one to judge blending.

You might get a few of the Spectrum markers to see what you think. You might be lucky and get some with no cap issues. I found mine on ebay. They have lots to choose from.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2012, 02:05 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

How are the SN pens for blending? I recall when they first launched that there were a lot of people (on here & elsewhere) saying they were very difficult to blend well. I think they are a very good price too, but have been wary of buying any due to the blend thing. I wondered if they had improved that side of the pens now?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2012, 04:54 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

I have all 12 of the original sets that I bought a few months ago , and I love them.

Last edited by Jeanne S; 10-03-2012 at 05:13 AM.. Reason: SPR
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2012, 05:52 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

spectrumnoir.com is great and crafterscompanion.com. THEY WILL TELL YOU EVERYTHING
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by clpangelsView Post
spectrumnoir.com is great and crafterscompanion.com. THEY WILL TELL YOU EVERYTHING
I was scared to try them because of the caps, but I think I will get a package and test it out. I will have either my husband or daughter to take caps off and loosen them hopefully.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2012, 04:12 AM   #9  
Glitter Queen

I'm curious about the paper and ink you should use with them. Because Copics are pricey AND I would have to buy another black ink and and special paper so it wouldn't bleed. Do the Spectrum Noir need special paper? I'm having a hard time finding information on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2012, 04:32 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

They are still alcohol markers so you would need a good paper. I bought a large pack of Georgie Pacific Cardstock at Walmart. Works fine. And the Memento Ink works best for your stamped images so they do not bleed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

They are still alcohol markers so you would need a good paper. I bought a large pack of Georgie Pacific Cardstock at Walmart. Works fine. And the Memento Ink works best for your stamped images so they do not bleed.
I am curious, Paige.. did you get the markers? And how about getting the caps off? Hope you can use them with no trouble.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

Default spectrum noir vs copic

I currently have no markers...and the Spectrum Noir seems reasonably priced compared to the copic....wondering which to start with...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I am curious, Paige.. did you get the markers? And how about getting the caps off? Hope you can use them with no trouble.
No I haven't yet only because I have been spending plenty of money on other things. But I definitely plan to try at least 1 package. Are you still liking yours?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

Smile spectrum noir

I don't have any markers at all...watched a few comparative videos on youtube....with the 15% off sale and free shipping....gulp...i jumped in and ordered some...will let you know how i like them...also found a great hint for a storage case on youtube...i'm excited!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by justsoozeView Post
I don't have any markers at all...watched a few comparative videos on youtube....with the 15% off sale and free shipping....gulp...i jumped in and ordered some...will let you know how i like them...also found a great hint for a storage case on youtube...i'm excited!
Yay! good for you! Who has the sale?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

No I haven't yet only because I have been spending plenty of money on other things. But I definitely plan to try at least 1 package. Are you still liking yours?
Yes, I do like them very much, especially for the price. I have a hodge-podge collection of markers - some Copics, Touch Twin, Bics and Sharpies. I use them all together.

Now, mind you, I don't do the elaborate blending that some of the more artistically inclined stampers do. I am happy to use a couple of shades of the same color family to give my stamped images some definition.

Here's a recent example. Not too fancy, but I'm happy with it. And my family and friends say they love receiving my cards. That's what counts with me.

Ooo La La - Happy Birthday by buggainok - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #17  
Embossing Fanatic

Wink sale on spectrum noir markers

Crafter's Companion has a 15% off sale (including things already on sale) with the use of code SCSSN AND free shipping over $50. 6 sets of 6! browns, purples and the christmas bundle (essential, red, blue,green)....if i like them once they get here, i'm going to order the yellow, pink and ??? sets with the same sale (which ends 10/31).

Also I saw this very interesting youtube video ( i love youtube!) on how to store them...the person bought a Slim Scrapbook case by StorNCarry at JoAnn's - and it was such a great way to store them, still in their little plastic pkg units upside down with labels that I ran out to JoAnn's (i know, i'm obsessed) and got one - so i'll be ready when the markers show up....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2012, 05:23 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Cute card Bugga! I love those Penny Black stamps too. If you want to stroll through my blog I have a few things that I have colored with my Copics. I love them a lot, but have to work with such few colors because they are so expensive, it's hard to have a nice assortment of colors. I am going to order some of S.N. markers in the near future though so I will have more of a selection.
I am about to finish an Anniversary card for a friend and will post to my blog hopefully today too.
Have a great day
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I, too, have a mixture of alcohol markers (Bic, Sharpie, Copic, Spectrum Noir) because I am trying to keep the cost down. One thing I just learned about the Spectrum Noir markers: DO NOT STORE THEM ON END. They should be stored horizontally. This comes directly from Bindy, a customer rep at Crafter's Companion in response to an email I sent regarding how to store them:

"No you do not want to store them vertically, they should always be stored horizontally. That way the ink flows evenly from one tip to the other. If you store them up on end the ink could pool at the one end and make a blob on your work."

I know that Copics can be stored on end. I just assumed that was true of all alcohol markers. I'm glad I asked, but now I have to re-think a budget way to store my Spectrum Noirs.

Hope this helps you all. Oh, by the way, I like the Spectrum Noirs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Cute card Bugga! I love those Penny Black stamps too. If you want to stroll through my blog I have a few things that I have colored with my Copics. I love them a lot, but have to work with such few colors because they are so expensive, it's hard to have a nice assortment of colors. I am going to order some of S.N. markers in the near future though so I will have more of a selection.
I am about to finish an Anniversary card for a friend and will post to my blog hopefully today too.
Have a great day
Thanks, Paige. I looked at your cards - they are darling. I like your style. Hope you get some more markers soon, so you can have more options.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just ordered the entire line. I want to give them a whirl too. I do have a few sets already but (I know you are not going to believe this...lol) I have not tried them yet.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #22  
Embossing Fanatic

Default storing SN markers

Had to jump in here - I saw an excellent video on YouTube on how to store your SN markers. I found it when I was looking for a comparison on markers while debating whether to buy some SN or not ( I did). The woman in the video bought an inexpensive plastic case from JoAnn's "StorNCarry Slim Scrapbook Case"...retails for 9.99 it was on sale yesterday for 4.97 plus they let me use a 20% off coupon! I got the last one....anyway, this woman left the SN markers in the packaging but cut around the outline of the plastic. She also cut the part of the package that showed the colors included - the strip of cardboard. She took the back off the pkg containing the markers, and turned the pkg upside down so the little curved plastic holders were on the bottom, then put six of these sets into the storNcarry case...ingenious and cheap - the markers stay in color families and don't roll around - they store flat in very little space. She also taped that little cardboard strip to the edge of each tray - i'm not sure you need that, since markers are labeled but i guess it would make it easier to see the order. Also, that carry case has a little plastic tab on the inside that snaps right out before you put your markers in. Sorry if this sounds confusing...but I can't wait to get the markers and try it out.:razz:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Thanks, Paige. I looked at your cards - they are darling. I like your style. Hope you get some more markers soon, so you can have more options.
Thanks! I can't wait to get some too!
btw - if you are an art supply nut like me for different projects , Barnes and Noble had Markers 50% off! Probably left from Back to School stuff. It is a little clear bucket with lid of 100 fine tip markers for $5. It was under a table with some sale stuff , not that easy to see so if you can't find them you may want to ask.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I just ordered the entire line. I want to give them a whirl too. I do have a few sets already but (I know you are not going to believe this...lol) I have not tried them yet.
blessings.
I'm jealous! Have fun and let us know how you like them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueheronView Post
I, too, have a mixture of alcohol markers (Bic, Sharpie, Copic, Spectrum Noir) because I am trying to keep the cost down. One thing I just learned about the Spectrum Noir markers: DO NOT STORE THEM ON END. They should be stored horizontally. This comes directly from Bindy, a customer rep at Crafter's Companion in response to an email I sent regarding how to store them:

"No you do not want to store them vertically, they should always be stored horizontally. That way the ink flows evenly from one tip to the other. If you store them up on end the ink could pool at the one end and make a blob on your work."

I know that Copics can be stored on end. I just assumed that was true of all alcohol markers. I'm glad I asked, but now I have to re-think a budget way to store my Spectrum Noirs.

Hope this helps you all. Oh, by the way, I like the Spectrum Noirs.
I store my Copics horizontal too. I purchased a used cd display rack from a thrift shop in my town, went to Dollar Store and purchased for a $1 a foam core board. I cut squares to fit shelves and even have labels printed out with color codes. I love it and hardly cost a thing! Plus I can find what I have easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by justsoozeView Post
Had to jump in here - I saw an excellent video on YouTube on how to store your SN markers. I found it when I was looking for a comparison on markers while debating whether to buy some SN or not ( I did). The woman in the video bought an inexpensive plastic case from JoAnn's "StorNCarry Slim Scrapbook Case"...retails for 9.99 it was on sale yesterday for 4.97 plus they let me use a 20% off coupon! I got the last one....anyway, this woman left the SN markers in the packaging but cut around the outline of the plastic. She also cut the part of the package that showed the colors included - the strip of cardboard. She took the back off the pkg containing the markers, and turned the pkg upside down so the little curved plastic holders were on the bottom, then put six of these sets into the storNcarry case...ingenious and cheap - the markers stay in color families and don't roll around - they store flat in very little space. She also taped that little cardboard strip to the edge of each tray - i'm not sure you need that, since markers are labeled but i guess it would make it easier to see the order. Also, that carry case has a little plastic tab on the inside that snaps right out before you put your markers in. Sorry if this sounds confusing...but I can't wait to get the markers and try it out.:razz:
Do you have link for video? I would like to see it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Paigewithpanache said:

I store my Copics horizontal too. I purchased a used cd display rack from a thrift shop in my town, went to Dollar Store and purchased for a $1 a foam core board. I cut squares to fit shelves and even have labels printed out with color codes. I love it and hardly cost a thing! Plus I can find what I have easily.

Thanks for the storage suggestion, Paige! I have an old audio cassette storage case somewhere in the basement. I think I will try to find it to see if the slots are wide enough for the Spectrum Noirs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Paigewithpanache said:

Thanks for the storage suggestion, Paige! I have an old audio cassette storage case somewhere in the basement. I think I will try to find it to see if the slots are wide enough for the Spectrum Noirs.
That's even better! I love to repurpose things. Let us know if it works for you. In my blog I repurposed a photo cube into a coffee caddy. So much fun! And it worked out perfectly for storing my coffee, sugar, etc. paigewithpanache.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Amazing customer service...

Bindy from Crafter's Companion sent me a follow-up email regarding Spectrum Noir marker storage. In addition to letting me know that they had their new SN marker stacking storage on sale, she also sent me photos of SIX other marker storage alternatives using things I might have at home or could get very inexpensively from a discount store. She researched that on her own. In my opinion, that is the kind of customer service that creates loyalty.

Kudos to Bindy and Crafter's Companion!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #30  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for this thread! I have quite a few Copics, haven't used them much and I wasn't great with the shading. More practice indeed!! I love the look you get with the markers. Read the review here about the S.N. markers and it looks like I will try them. So reasonable, and I just started a part time/seasonal job with one of the "big box" stores so with a sale price & my discount it is becoming more reasonable to me!!! Can't wait! Thanks to all of you for your in put/advice on these, it is appreciated!

Happy coloring!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Amazing customer service...

Bindy from Crafter's Companion sent me a follow-up email regarding Spectrum Noir marker storage. In addition to letting me know that they had their new SN marker stacking storage on sale, she also sent me photos of SIX other marker storage alternatives using things I might have at home or could get very inexpensively from a discount store. She researched that on her own. In my opinion, that is the kind of customer service that creates loyalty.

Kudos to Bindy and Crafter's Companion!
That is fantastic ! I would like to see the alternatives.

[sent a similar message earlier , but somehow it didn't post, I didn't click post or something?? mentioning this just in case there is a repeat message ]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by connie leoneView Post
Thanks for this thread! I have quite a few Copics, haven't used them much and I wasn't great with the shading. More practice indeed!! I love the look you get with the markers. Read the review here about the S.N. markers and it looks like I will try them. So reasonable, and I just started a part time/seasonal job with one of the "big box" stores so with a sale price & my discount it is becoming more reasonable to me!!! Can't wait! Thanks to all of you for your in put/advice on these, it is appreciated!

Happy coloring!
I love the Copics too but also wanting to try out the SN. Pretty excited about it actually.
I was getting tickled reading about your seasonal job and your discount, I chuckled thinking about how all my earnings would go for those deals and discounts! lol
Happy coloring to you too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #33  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Bindy

I had written to them too, requesting help deciding which colors to buy first and Bindy responded the same day with some helpful advice - she steered me in a different direction and explained why and then offered to have me write her anytime with questions. Excellent Customer Service indeed. I will look into what else you can get from Crafter's Companion
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #34  
Embossing Fanatic

Paige

"let's start with storing your spectrum markers" by shabby pink stamper on YouTube....couldn't figure out how to get the link but this should enable you to find it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #35  
Embossing Fanatic

Here's another one: " Basics: Organizing your spectrum noir pens" by PKGlitz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2012, 01:35 AM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

Great ideas! I have seen the second video before but not the first one. What I like about the first video, no matter how you lay it they are still horizontal. Unless you stored case on it's side, but I can't see why anyone would do that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2012, 02:41 AM   #37  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I love the Copics too but also wanting to try out the SN. Pretty excited about it actually.
I was getting tickled reading about your seasonal job and your discount, I chuckled thinking about how all my earnings would go for those deals and discounts! lol
Happy coloring to you too!

@Paige, I will be chuckling too all the way home when I get my markers! Hoping to go today, but not yet sure if I will be able to. My husband had these 2 scenarios, after discount, I will only be making $3.00 an hour or I will end up owing them!!!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2012, 05:20 AM   #38  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by connie leoneView Post
@Paige, I will be chuckling too all the way home when I get my markers! Hoping to go today, but not yet sure if I will be able to. My husband had these 2 scenarios, after discount, I will only be making $3.00 an hour or I will end up owing them!!!! ;)
Your husband sounds like mine! lol
You have fun! Happy for you!! The only way I can get some markers is through mail order since none of the stores around here sell them. :( But that is ok, it's fun getting packages (presents) in the mail too .
Have fun with your new job and tell us about the fun goody's they have ,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #39  
Embossing Fanatic

Connie

I'm originally from Buffalo, NY!! Hope you enjoy your markers - can't wait to get mine...watch the mailbox every day...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

I will see if I can figure out how to attach the photos that Bindy from Crafter's Companion sent.

Quote:

That is fantastic ! I would like to see the alternatives.

[sent a similar message earlier , but somehow it didn't post, I didn't click post or something?? mentioning this just in case there is a repeat message ]
Attached Thumbnails
Alcohol Markers - Spectrum Noir-cd_rack_storage%5B1%5D.jpg   Alcohol Markers - Spectrum Noir-storage_1%5B1%5D.png   Alcohol Markers - Spectrum Noir-storage_2%5B1%5D.jpg   Alcohol Markers - Spectrum Noir-storage_3%5B1%5D.jpg   Alcohol Markers - Spectrum Noir-storage_4%5B1%5D.jpg  

Alcohol Markers - Spectrum Noir-storage_5%5B1%5D.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes