Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-27-2012, 05:13 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unmounted! Finally! (and tutorial)

After two years (maybe more), I'm finally done unmounting my stamps! It's been quite a project to unmount hundreds of stamps from their wood mount blocks, put them in cases and then create labels for them (inserts into the stamp cases).

I posted to my blog this week the results of my project.
Paper Chrome: Unmounted!

And I posted the method I used to unmount all of these stamps in case anyone is interested in a tutorial.
Paper Chrome: Unmounting Tutorial: Non-EZFoam alternative

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

.Congratulations!! It looks fantasticl

Sometimes I think about unmounting too. I am almost finished organizing my clear/UM stamps, so to think about tackling my wood-mounts is a bit overwhelming.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by smcdonoughView Post
.Congratulations!! It looks fantasticl

Sometimes I think about unmounting too. I am almost finished organizing my clear/UM stamps, so to think about tackling my wood-mounts is a bit overwhelming.
One stamp at a time... right? I think I may have unmounted 3-4 sets a week, but not necessarily every week. So I didn't stress myself out about it, but plugged away at a good pace. I did take a box full to a retreat one month and managed to get a huge amount done the first night of the retreat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

What do you do if the unmounted label is not usable? Have you ever used vinyl, tissue paper and Stazon ink to make a replacement label?

Great tutorial!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sure looks beautiful!

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow! Looks like a tedious job, but it turned out wonderful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitney56View Post
What do you do if the unmounted label is not usable? Have you ever used vinyl, tissue paper and Stazon ink to make a replacement label?

Great tutorial!
Good question.

If it was a label that I tore while removing, I applied it in two parts. Worked well.

If the stamp didn't have a label such as some double mounted stamps, I didn't worry about it. I have the image on the stamp case insert for reference. If the stamp needed additional tackiness, I applied Aileen's Tack it Over and Over right to the foam cushion.

For some non-SU stamps without images, I didn't worry about it and again used the insert for reference and treated the back of the cushion if additional tackiness was needed.

Now I did have an issue with colored labels on some stamps. I had the color come off on two of them. After that, I didn't worry about the label and for most saved the label and adhered it to the inside of the stamp case along with a little label that identified the brand or name of the stamp. If additional tackiness was needed, I again treated the cushion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I love it! Just gorgeous! I think it looks like a library. Instead of books it's a gorgeous shelf of stamps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2012, 04:01 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, looks great - both the storage and the tutorial. You must be one very organized person!

A couple of ?s, if you don't mind. You don't have any non-SU stamps? If so, did you buy DVD cases to store those in so they would match your SU sets? also, what do you do when the Tack-it finally loses its stickiness? I've done some of my unmounteds with the Aleene's. I like it, but for me its lack of longevity is a drawback. You probably know something I don't; would you share with me how you make it last?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2012, 04:58 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by binxView Post
Wow, looks great - both the storage and the tutorial. You must be one very organized person!

A couple of ?s, if you don't mind. You don't have any non-SU stamps? If so, did you buy DVD cases to store those in so they would match your SU sets? also, what do you do when the Tack-it finally loses its stickiness? I've done some of my unmounteds with the Aleene's. I like it, but for me its lack of longevity is a drawback. You probably know something I don't; would you share with me how you make it last?
Oh I own lots of non-su stamps. :-) I store them in the same cases, make similar labels, but I do differentiate the color of the banner at the top. Check out the two pictures at the end of my unmounting tutorial. You'll see stamps from three different companies as an example: SU, Hampton Art and Bombshell Stamps. Paper Chrome: Unmounting Tutorial: Non-EZFoam alternative

As for the tackiness, I haven't had that wear off yet. In fact I've had the opposite problem of it being too tacky and I cured that by picking up some lint off of my clothing. Maybe it helps to have them stored in those CD cases, not sure. Now if it does wear off, I would expect the first thing I'd try is to clean the back of the stamp lightly with soap and water to remove any debris. If that doesn't work, I know I still have plenty of the adhesive left over to give it another light coat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Harley, thx for the reply. That's probably good thinking about the soap and water - works with Tack 'n Peel, might work with the Aleene's too. I've unmounted mine too, so time will tell on the Aleene's. I've had some about 2 years using TIO&O, but I seldom use them (maybe for fear that I'll be lost when they lose their sticky), so time will tell!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Very nice, Monica! All of my stamps are in SU! clear cases. I used Krylon's Easy Tack as the sticky to help the stamps stay on the clear blocks. But I've since decided I don't like the ET spray. I still have half a can and it no longer sprays out the spray the way it should. I saw a post where someone just cut out pieces of the thinnest clear vinyl and applied it to her clear SU! blocks. The stamps stick like a dream to the blocks and cling very well.

As I go forward, I will probably use this trick instead of spraying my unmounted stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

ok, now you can come to my house and work on my stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalStamper63View Post
Very nice, Monica! All of my stamps are in SU! clear cases. I used Krylon's Easy Tack as the sticky to help the stamps stay on the clear blocks. But I've since decided I don't like the ET spray. I still have half a can and it no longer sprays out the spray the way it should. I saw a post where someone just cut out pieces of the thinnest clear vinyl and applied it to her clear SU! blocks. The stamps stick like a dream to the blocks and cling very well.

As I go forward, I will probably use this trick instead of spraying my unmounted stamps.
I know what spray you're talking about. I use it to restick my cutting mats for my e-cutters. But the last time I re did my cutting mats, I used thinned out TIO&O. It's worked well and I didn't have to tape off, go out side to spray, etc. It was just easier to grab a foam brush and use the TIO&O.

The vinyl sounds like a great idea too. I had heard about that, but was already well under way with my current method and I didn't have to restamp the image on the vinyl. Double bennie... less work. :-) Now I've since purchased a used set that was unmounted and vinyl applied. Not sure if it was the wrong vinyl, but it got all warped and din't appear to stick well. I suppose nothing's perfect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petu2000View Post
ok, now you can come to my house and work on my stamps!
Hmmm... NY. Now that could be a great motorcycle ride from Memphis. Too bad that day job gets in the way. Would you believe that they only let me out for a couple of weeks a year (I mean get vacation...). ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley QueenView Post
One stamp at a time... right? I think I may have unmounted 3-4 sets a week, but not necessarily every week. So I didn't stress myself out about it, but plugged away at a good pace. I did take a box full to a retreat one month and managed to get a huge amount done the first night of the retreat.
Thanks for the advice!!

I may just start with one or two stamps at a time. I don't have a finish line to cross, so it doesn't matter how long it takes me.
Reply With Quote Likes