Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water color chatter

We have threads for the rest of the coloring mediums..how about one for WC?? It sems to be gaining popularity( so many talented stampers!)

Do you prefer pencils? Markers ( like SU! or Tombow)?? What is you prefered paper? And Ink...let us not forget the favortie type of waterproof ink..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,049 Likes on 809 Posts

I used to use pencils all the time because they were what I had the best colour range in; now I mostly use distress inks since my collection grew, but I still get out both my pencils and my H2Os from time to time.
My issue with the H2Os is that unless you heat emboss the image, those paints are opaque enough that they cover the stamped lines a bit, which I don't like. But sometimes I just want that shimmer and sparkle anyway .
For wash backgrounds I love the H2Os and also regular pan watercolours.
Paper - the one I can easily buy in local stores is the Winsor & Newton AWC 140lb NOT. If I could more easily get hot-pressed I would, for the smoother surface.
I also managed to find a block of 95lb Aquarelle Etival watercolour paper (cold pressed, again) from Clairefontaine which is thin enough to go through my printer and ideal for cutting out for paper-tole or layering images. Alas, I only have about 4 sheets left, and the last time I checked the shop I bought it in, they didn't have any more.
I don't find water brushes easy to use, so I just use fine brushes with a jam-jar of water on the desk, and for distress inks I just press them into the lids and add a couple of drops of water with a mini-mister.

If budget were no limit I'd buy Arches, either NOT or HP. I used to work for the company that distributed it here and I still have a few samples left, but at this stage not very much at all :-(.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

As far as for paper...I must to admit to having A LOT of it... (For drawing, water coloring...paper crafting...etc A LOT...nearly every weight and texture imaginable. Did not really realize what I did have until I found the �lost tote of paper� in my garage from our last move. HAHA�I would be happy to send you some water color papers if you like.
My favorite is HP as well. I like to do details so I prefer a smooth surface.
My favorite pencils so far are Derwents. I have Prismacolor WC and a set from SU! Oh and I think maybe some Faber Castel (but I don�t like these much so I let the kids use them LOL). The Derwent seem more vibrant to me and blend a bit easier than the Prismacolors do...JMO. I do like the SU! ones though (bought during my brief time as a demo) but they are kind of limited in their coloring pallet. I guess though you can always blend your colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

i love SU's watercolor crayons, lots of ways to use them for different looks ;)

and i buy paper by Daler Rowney, at walmart.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,119 Likes on 502 Posts

I love watercoloring...

I have 2 kinds of pencils - a full set of Derwents, and a handful of Albrecht Durer pencils. As my Derwents get used up (which will probably take years) I plan to replace them with Albrecht Durers - they are even more vibrant and creamy. The Derwents are good pencils, though too! Just want to slowly upgrade. For what it's worth, I don't like Prismacolor watercolor pencils.

Love my Inktense pencils too - I like to use those and Derwent Graphitints for deep shading.

When I'm home I usually reach for my reinkers for quick watercoloring. I keep those in 2 small ice trays which make really nice palettes!

Another medium I like watercoloring with is Versamagic chalk inks - I tap the small pads on an acrylic block and pick up the color with my waterbrush. Really nice coverage and soft colors.

An-n-n-nd I have Twinks and Shimmerz, too. Hoping to try the Shinhan tube watercolors soon!!

Here's a card I watercolored Friday: Micey Nice Too by dini - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

...and more watercolored cards on my blog: Mama Dini's Stamperia: watercoloring
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2012, 03:05 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I love watercoloring...

I have 2 kinds of pencils - a full set of Derwents, and a handful of Albrecht Durer pencils. As my Derwents get used up (which will probably take years) I plan to replace them with Albrecht Durers - they are even more vibrant and creamy. The Derwents are good pencils, though too! Just want to slowly upgrade. For what it's worth, I don't like Prismacolor watercolor pencils.

Love my Inktense pencils too - I like to use those and Derwent Graphitints for deep shading.

When I'm home I usually reach for my reinkers for quick watercoloring. I keep those in 2 small ice trays which make really nice palettes!

Another medium I like watercoloring with is Versamagic chalk inks - I tap the small pads on an acrylic block and pick up the color with my waterbrush. Really nice coverage and soft colors.

An-n-n-nd I have Twinks and Shimmerz, too. Hoping to try the Shinhan tube watercolors soon!!

Here's a card I watercolored Friday: Micey Nice Too by dini - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

...and more watercolored cards on my blog: Mama Dini's Stamperia: watercoloring
Dini- I truly mean this but you have become my new favorite watercoloring inspiration. Your cards are beautiful! My DH & I were very impressed. Your post was inspirational too. Thank you for posting everything.

I love to watercolor. I love my color pencils too. My two favorite mediums. I really don't have a preferred favorite. I love a large variety of papers for different watercoloring looks. I love a large variety of different watercoloring mediums.

I do prefer my old fashion brushes and jar of water over the waterbrushes. I do like to use the waterbrushes for other techniques.

Thank you InkinOne for starting this thread.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2012, 05:13 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Dini...did you find the Prismacolor WC pencils difficult to blend? I can't quite put my finger on it but they seemed to hard to me..not creamy enough.

Can you get Albrecht Durers in open stock or did you buy a set of them? I have a small set of Derwents and am looking to expand a bit. I would like to try these out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2012, 05:44 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,119 Likes on 502 Posts

I could never get the Prismacolors to blend well.

The Albrecht Durers are available in open stock.

Check ebay for Derwent sets - I got mine for really cheap, and even though it was used, really how quickly does anyone 'use' watercolor pencils?

For those who use pencils, do you more often:

pick up color from the tip of the pencil with your brush? -or-
color directly on your paper and blend with your brush?

Have you tried mixing colors by scribbling on another paper...?

I had another question but I forgot what it was. I generally pick up color from the pencil tips, but when I get into deeper shading, I'll take the pencil directly to the paper.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Thanks! I will look for some on ebay..I personally feel that getting a slightly used pencil isn't that big a deal ( however after they are mine I don't want to share LOL).

I prefer to pick up color from the tip. Funny..that drives my husband nuts LOL. I have lots of tubes of water colors and he thinks I should just use my pallet..but stamped images don't require that much paint kwim? I find that I can get a much richer color by touching the tip. Especially for reds..which IMO is one of the most difficult colors to get in any kind of pencils ( colored pencils especially).

I so sometimes color in the image with the pencil if it is a lighter color like maybe a yellow or to lay down a base for leaves and such. I have not tried mixing by scribbling on a piece of paper..BUT

I saw the most amazing tutorial the other day ..forgot to save it in my favorties..but will hunt for it.. to give credit..

This artist took her WC pencils and laid down THICK color blocks on a piece of paper..about 6 in all I think..then when she was out in the field she had a ready made pallet and could use her water brush to pick up the color. How neat was that? I thought that would be great for car rides and such..

So if you take that idea..I am sure you could layer red and yellow on a piece of paper and mix them right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2012, 06:27 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Default found video..

Ok..I found the video..No Excuses Sketch Kit.m4v - YouTube

and she has a blog here Painted Thoughts Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I could never get the Prismacolors to blend well.

For those who use pencils, do you more often:

pick up color from the tip of the pencil with your brush? -or-
color directly on your paper and blend with your brush?
I like to do both versions. It depends on the look I want. If I want a lighter touch I take my brush to pencil. Darker look color on paper and blend with brush. I prefer to color on the paper and blend with brush.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2012, 02:40 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Heart

I have developed a great love of watercolour pencils since about March last year. I had a set of Faber-Castell watercolour pencils sitting in my drawer for a couple of years and finally pulled them out to have a play. And oh, it was love at first stroke! I use a small round paintbrush for spreading the colour around. Tried a waterbrush but didn't feel like I had any sort of control of the amount of water, plus I am a decorative painter so are more used to a paintbrush.

I use three methods for painting:

One is just colouring with the pencils and spreading the colour with my paintbrush.

The second is dabbing a damp paintbrush onto my pencil and dabbing the brush onto my image - great for adding texture on an animal like on this dog: C4C101 WT152 TLC247 Where's Dinner? by JoBear2 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

And the third is colouring onto a scrap piece of watercolour paper and adding as much or as little water as I want according to how intense I want the colour to be. I also mix my colours this way too. Great for doing washes for background skies and often once I have finished colouring an image with all the shading/highlighting, I will add a wash over the top to soften the look.

I use 140lb watercolour paper and stamp with Versafine Onyx black ink or Vintage Sepia (if I want brown tones).

I invested in some Derwent Inktense watercolour pencils and LOVE the vibrancy that I was able to achieve in this card on the wooden pole: F4A66 A nautical birthday! by JoBear2 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers I could just keep colouring all day - so relaxing......

I would love this thread to become a "sticky" as there are so many watercolouring choices + questions out there and it would be great to have all the info the one place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Jobear..your samples are very nice! I have a set of Inktense and love those as well..you are right they are so vibrant and have some really intense colors. I do find they stain quite a bit and don't blend as well as regular water color pencils...Also I don't think they are as lightfast as watercolors..which makes sense ..they aren't actually "water color" pencils..but I think they are a fantastic addition to anyones pencil stash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

I am so glad I found this thread! I have been getting frustrated with watercoloring lately, even though I love the effect and watercolor often on my cards. I have tried using a variety of watercolor papers, bought a water brush/aqua painter, even bought a few watercolor brushes from the art section at Michaels, and am still frustrated. I think I may need to invest in some new watercolor pencils or watercolor crayons. I am using mostly Prismacolor watercolor pencils, so maybe that's why I'm having blending issues. I don't like the water brush, as the water comes out too quickly. I used blender pens for years and I like the way they work, but really wanted to get more of a "painted" effect with the watercolor brushes. I am going to try to find the brands several of you mentioned above and see if that helps. I am on a budget right now so I'd like to find the best deal on watercolor pencils or crayons...are any of the recommended brands sold at Michaels or Hobby Lobby? With a coupon I might be able to afford them!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 03:00 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

Fairsinger...A waterbrush takes some getting used to..I don't use mine that much at all. I prefer a regular paintbrush. I *think* I use a #4 or 6 round for most everything.

Also...I haven't had much luck with Prismacolor water color pencils. IDK why. I do like them but I like them to just pick up pure color from the tip and use to shade my colors with ( hope that makes sense)..they don't seem to blend well at all. Right now my favorites are the Derwents..and I do think you can get those at most big box craft stores.The small set of 12 isn't usually terribly expensive..you may even find them on ebay or in an art supply store or some of the on-line art supply sites.

Just keep practicing..and watch a few you tube videos....they really do help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 04:29 AM   #16  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Goodness, I wonder are brushes sized the same over here! I use a 000 or at most a 1 for almost all my colouring. But I suppose with pencils I'll use something a bit bigger. Mostly when I use pencils I colour the paper and then blend with a wet brush.
I know for sure that the Albrecht Durer are available in open stock here, there are a couple lurking in my box - always looking for more greens and browns .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 04:35 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

JoBear- Your creations are beautiful. I love what you wrote about the waterbrush. I have done a lot of decorative painting. When I read your paragraph about waterbrushes it clicked that is probably my problem with them too. I am more used to my paintbrushes.

FairSinger- Start off small and don't be scared to buy the scholastic brands of watercolor crayons or pencils. I use scholastic brands in with my higher art tools. A lot of times I fall back on my scholastic brands because I enjoy using them so much.

I hope this topic gets pinned too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 04:41 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

If anyone is interested I have a video tutorial using the Inktense watercolor pencils. they are my faves. Generally I prefer to use paints but with stamping you have a smaller area to work in so the pencils are perfect. I have the full sets of Inktense and Derwent watercolor pencils (both are made by the same company) and they work well together. The Inksense are so much brighter and they won't lift very easily after they have been wet so you can glaze over them with other colors when dry. Very handy! I'll add a pic and if you like the project you can pop over to my blog and watch the video. You can follow along with any watercolor pencils;)
Watercolor Pencils: Let’s use them! � Thefrugalcrafter’s Weblog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really nice, Dini. I ran right over and subscribed to your blog. Looking forward to studying all your techniques! Learning water color and color pencil is high on my New Year's Resolution List, so I'm really glad I happened across your post. Thanks.
-c
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

Thank you Lindsay..I will check it out! Your work looks wonderful in that pic !!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

Does no-one use good old fashioned watercolour paints? I have a basic inexpensive set of watercolour paints and they work really well. I use them a lot.

My favourites are probably my Twinkling H2Os - just love that bit of shimmer!

I also use watercolour pencils, Tombow markers, and occasionally watercolour crayons. I haven't used my inkpads but must try that.

I use a water brush with a fine point. I always use watercolour paper - I have a whole variety of brands and have experimented and decided that I prefer one with a smooth finish.

As for ink for my image - if I'm heat embossing it first (which creates a nice barrier for watercolours, even if quite wet), I usually use Versafine with a clear embossing powder. If I'm not embossing it, I use Memento Tuxedo Black as it is waterproof.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

Oh yes..I do use tube WC's..but I use them for larger pieces of art work. I have a nice set of Winsor & Newton and Grumbacher..but I find it easier to use the pencils for smaller stamped images. I also find for some images that don't require a great deal of blending and paper saturation I can use good thicker card stock and save my more expensive water color paper. I also don't think a great deal of crafters and stampers have sets of tube watercolors..so mostly they use and like the pencils..easier to use..don't need to create as many different colors..and they are fun..a more economical introduction to watercolors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Watercolors

I hadn't used watercolors much in stamping, because I mostly used dye-based ink. I did some resist with clear embossing powder. This is a really neat effect. My aunt got me some StazOn ink and cleaner, so now I can use the W/C more. I have a nice set of pencils (Derwent? I'm not sure), and a set of Crayola W/C pencils (not many colors, but work well and not too pricey). I seem to have lost my set of Crayola pan W/Cs. I did borrow some W/C paint pans to make Halloween cards. I think Prang makes a slightly better pan W/C than Crayola. Koi and Maries (one with a cow on it) are nice W/C in tubes (these are what HS art students use sometimes). They're sort of midrange between products for kids and really expensive stuff.

I like to do a wash for the background and then color the images with a brush and jar of water. Then I go back and shade the images with thicker (less water) paint in the same colors. If you want realism, "muddy" your paint pans a bit. Add a bit of the complementary color (red-->green,
yellow--> purple, blue--> orange), especially for shading.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

hi all!

loving this thread! i have been determined to play with my watercolor pencils more and learn to use them better as well as my twinks. i am taking a class with luminarte at cha this month so i hope they give me some ideas!

i too have not liked a waterbrush too much - i prefer a regular brush. i like to use the twinks with my pencils. i have yet to break out my pencils - i tried ages ago before i got into papercrafting and it did not go well so i have not picked them up since :P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

cerridwen3301, I love watercolors..!! I think as good as you are at colored pencils..you will do equally as well with water colors! They are a different animal for sure..but very fun. They do take some practice..so just have fun..OH and I like a regular water color brush too..no water brush for me. Other people love them..maybe I need to practice with it some more..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 242 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm not very good at watercoloring especially compared to you gals at SCS, but even I have had pretty good luck with watercolor crayons and an aqua brush. I find I can control the water better with the aqua brush and therefore use ordinary card stock as well as watercolor paper. The crayons last forever and blend pretty easily for a variety of colors from just the basic crayons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 01:41 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbriView Post
Does no-one use good old fashioned watercolour paints? I have a basic inexpensive set of watercolour paints and they work really well. I use them a lot.
Watercolor paints are my favorite medium to work in. My favorite set are inexpensive too. I would be lost without them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 05:11 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Send a message via Skype™ to Donnaml

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

ok it's all your faults......spent my quiet time this morning playing with my watercolor pencils. lo and behold i did it! even colored this image! ok the color combo is hideous but i was focusing more on technique rather than colors and ICK. BUT i am pleased with the results. SO pleased i figured i better swing by michaels and grab a new size 1 brush because i don't know what mine has been doing the last few years but it is in rough shape. just run in, grab brush, run out.......

and then as i was wondering the brush aisle the inktense began calling my name as they always do.......i have been wanting them for EVER but couldn't justify it cuz i never used the pencils i already have.....but today i DID use them......so i went over just to look.

awww they are out of the small 12 set so i better skip it.......of course i DO have a 40% off coupon which would technically make the 24 set almost as cheap as the 12 set.....and darn if i didn't come home with them as well as a few new golden mediums including iridescent medium - fun fun! and now i am off to check out the inktense while the little hooligan is at pre-school!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 242 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cerridwen3301View Post
ok it's all your faults......spent my quiet time this morning playing with my watercolor pencils. lo and behold i did it! even colored this image! ok the color combo is hideous but i was focusing more on technique rather than colors and ICK. BUT i am pleased with the results. SO pleased i figured i better swing by michaels and grab a new size 1 brush because i don't know what mine has been doing the last few years but it is in rough shape. just run in, grab brush, run out.......

and then as i was wondering the brush aisle the inktense began calling my name as they always do.......i have been wanting them for EVER but couldn't justify it cuz i never used the pencils i already have.....but today i DID use them......so i went over just to look.

awww they are out of the small 12 set so i better skip it.......of course i DO have a 40% off coupon which would technically make the 24 set almost as cheap as the 12 set.....and darn if i didn't come home with them as well as a few new golden mediums including iridescent medium - fun fun! and now i am off to check out the inktense while the little hooligan is at pre-school!

Beautiful card---and there is nothing wrong with your color-combo IMHO!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #31  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsaymayView Post
If anyone is interested I have a video tutorial using the Inktense watercolor pencils. they are my faves.
This video is so helpful! I think I'll be purchasing some of these pencils very soon!!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #32  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

You all have inspired me to give my watercolors some more attention. I have a variety of pencils, tubes, crayons and Inktense pencils. Sometimes I give them a go, but then end up running back to my Copics because I seem to have more success with them.

I feel so much better to have read your comments about water brushes, because I just could not get the hang of them and resorted to my paint brushes. I was, however, always thinking I was somehow failing when using them instead of the water brushes.

I also read somewhere that you were not suppose to touch a wet brush to the lead tip, because it would harm the pencil. I seem to recall the article stating that the lead would swell when wet and then harm the wood portion of the pencil. Since so many of you seem to use this method, I assume what I read was incorrect.

I am excited to give some of your ideas a try. Yesterday I was coloring a Thomas K. image with chalks and today I thought maybe watercolors would work better. They are beautiful stamps, but so detailed they are a challenge to color. Watercolors just seem to be a natural with his style.

Thanks for starting this thread. I am excited to learn from all of you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Beautiful card---and there is nothing wrong with your color-combo IMHO!
Beautiful!! Good job
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

I think this is beautifully done! And the colors look great on my monitor!
I am in the process of totally reorganizing my stamp space but you guys have me itching to paint... I just got the new SU watercolor crayons off the clearance site, haven't even opened them yet. Now I'm dying to get at them. I don't have any watercolor pencils and have never used them. I have tube watercolors but never pull them out when I stamp. I use my crayons - either scribble some one a palette and pick up some color, or pick it up off the tip or lay a little right on my image if the area is large enough. I occasionally use my waterbrush but usually only for backgrounds - it's too hard for me to control. I am a decorative painter also - so I just use my regular brushes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

I think your creation is beautiful. I love the shading. I think she is the cutest little girl stamp. You gave her so much personality.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

thanks everyone! i thought i posted this yesterday but i must have gotten distracted in the middle :P i colored the same image with the inktense pencils. i prefered the scribble on paper then wet it method for the regular WC pencils but the inktense i prefer touching the brush to the tip...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 04:47 AM   #37  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

That looks great! You will not regret buying the inktence, I bought the 72 set LOL! then my mom bought me a 72 set (she did not know I bought them already) for my birthday so I have a lifetime supply!

Here is a tip! If you have an SU blender pen you can color a bit inside the lines with the wc pencil then use the blending pen to pull the color inwards a bit to get a lovely shading.

I think the water brush is best for when you are out and about and cannot get to a bucket of water. ou arebetter off with a nylon brush and a jar of water. Here is how I use wc pencils:
1. Lightly color my image on watercolor paper if you have it. Don't press hard or you will scratch and dent the paper.
2. Dip your brush in clean water (I like a bigger brush like a #4-#6) then blot it on a towel.
3. Gently blend the color with the damp brush. Rince and blot between colors.

For backgrounds and larger areas I use my artist watercolor paints and a larger brush. Watercolor is my favorite painting medium and when I paint a painting I use a #10-#20 brush! Have fun painting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 04:51 AM   #38  
Crimping Master

Has anyone tried lightly scrapping off the color into a pallet well and adding water yet? It makes a thicker liquid water color ink type stuff. You can get really deep colors this way..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 06:03 AM   #39  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

thanks everyone! i thought i posted this yesterday but i must have gotten distracted in the middle :P i colored the same image with the inktense pencils. i prefered the scribble on paper then wet it method for the regular WC pencils but the inktense i prefer touching the brush to the tip...

So pretty. I just love this stamp. She is the cutest thing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #40  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkin OneView Post
Has anyone tried lightly scrapping off the color into a pallet well and adding water yet? It makes a thicker liquid water color ink type stuff. You can get really deep colors this way..
Not into a pallet, but on one of my acrylic block, yes .
Reply With Quote Likes