Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 x 12 paper to 6 x 6 paper

I'm thinking of taking my 12x12 paper and cutting it down to 6x6 size - has anyone ever done this and if so, did you regret it?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #2  
Glitter Queen

why do you want to cut them down? I would onlyy do it if I had a special project happening. Many of the 12x12 pages have designs too big to make pretty cards. Just my thoughts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

well, I was organizing some today and came across paper that I had forgotten I have and can use for my card making (I separated out paper for scrapbooking and card making to hopefully make it easier on finding the right paper when I am working on a specific project). I was thinking that if I cut them up and place them with my 6x6 paper packs, they would get used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

I know this has been discussed before, and it comes down to personal preference, really .
My personal preference is not to cut, as some techniques call for more than a 6" square - things like the bag-a-lope, double pocket card, custom envelopes and so on. But if you've set aside some that you are keeping as 12x12 for scrapping, then you'd still always have some on hand. And if it makes it more likely that you'd use it, give it a try, I reckon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2012, 02:14 AM   #5  
FiP
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know your cards are a slightly different size to ours in Australia, but I can get 6 card fronts out of a 12 x 12" paper. You could cut a sheet in half and get 3 card fronts, and still have a piece of 6 x 12" left. I use paper for covering notepads, tins and other items, and I personally would never cut everything (in fact anything) down to 6 x 6". It seems to be a size that's not 'just right' for anything I do. If you are keen, you could always pick a few sheets that inspire you right now and cut them down, and see whether that works well for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2012, 05:58 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

thank you all so much - I have taken each of these ideas and am using them. I typically get a few sheets of 12x12 when I really like the design, so I have taken one sheet and cut it down and then kept one full sheet. The ones that I know I won't use for scrapbooking, I went ahead and cut it down. It is just so daunting to go through all this paper - I just shake my head and go, what I was I thinking when I got this I'm 1/4 of the way through and have found so many wonderful papers to use. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am slowly doing this with my paper. I am sticking to the following rule: If it's heavy paper (heavy enough to make a good box or something like that) then I leave it in the 12x12 because a lot of the boxes and packages require bigger than 6x6 or even 8 1/2 x 11. If it is lighter weight, then I cut it. I had noticed in a few videos that people were using solid colored heavy cardstock for boxes and such, and then using pieces of the lighter paper and just taping to the sides. It gave a really nice look I thought...not so solid...gave it some punch
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I'm in the 12x12 group. the thought of cutting even some of my stash to 6x6 would create another storage headache for me. I can always cut it down as I need it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #9  
FiP
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went thru my paper stash (again) at the weekend and pulled out another heap of stuff I don't like and donated it to my kids' former school. I had a number of paper stacks from years gone by. You know how you like some of the designs, but some are just so yuk! Or simply not 'my style'. 2 purges this year has reduced my collection nicely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

I cut all my paper to 6x6 and connected book rings to hold all my papers and made covers out of cereal boxes. I never really make cards bigger then 6in. So to me it was perfect for all my loose paper packs my parnets got for me, that I never used cause it was a pain to look through, now I can just flip and find a pattern that I like. If you would like pictures I will take them once I am home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

I cut all my 12"x12" patterned paper down to 6"x6" - no regrets. I rarely do box or bag projects that require paper wider than 8.5" and if I need a long piece for a trifold card or something like that, I have A4 cardstock.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I cut my older patterns down, but not to 6" x 6". I wanted to be able to put them in a standard file cabinet, so I cut them down to 8 1/2" x 12" - basically, I just lopped 3 1/2" off of one side. If I had multiples of a pattern, I turned one a quarter turn, so the pattern got cut in a different place on the second one than on the first. I cut 3" x 3" squares from the strip I lopped off, punched a hole in the corner and put them on a book ring so I can flip through and see what I want to use before I go to the drawers, where they are arranged by color/pattern. I write the name of the manufacturer/collection on the back of the square for reference, as well. There are some that I can't bear to chop up, though, so I still have 12" x 12" storage, too - just not as much!
Attached Thumbnails
12 x 12 paper to 6 x 6 paper-paper-rings.jpg  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

thank you all so much. I took the papers that I knew I wouldn't use for scrapbooking and cut them down - I am so happy I did this because I have been busy making tons of cards using the cut down paper. I had forgotten I had all that paper I appreciate all of your comments and help !!!
Reply With Quote Likes