Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A serious "DUH" moment for me

I have a desk light that I use, and it sits toward the right side of my desk, shining on my work area. I am also right handed. Whenever I color or cut something out, my hand casts a shadow, making it difficult to get lots of light on what I am doing.

Every time I noticed that, I would think, "Gee, I could see so much better if my hand was not casting a shadow", LOL! So finally today a lightbulb went off in my head, and I said to myself, "Hey big dummy, just move that light over way to the LEFT, and get rid of the shadow." I did it, and now I have plenty of light. What a dork I am to take so long to figure that simple solution out, LOL!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I have done things like that. Sometimes we just have to do things the hard way then we can laugh at ourselves when we figure it out. We are self entertainers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #3  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Ha! That is an awesome tip, actually. I battle shadows when I color too
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm the queen of noticing that things aren't working but not doing a thing about it. Part of it comes from my stoic, German roots where everyone just "makes do." I still remember the day my organizing consultant came for a post-move-in visit ( I'd hired her to help me figure out where to put things in a new house). She kept asking my "How's this working?" and then at one point we were discussing something that wasn't working out so well and she said "So what can we do to make this work better?" I'm serious! It had NEVER occurred to me to fix it until she asked the question. You would think a reasonably intelligent woman in her then almost 40's would have a clue about things like that, but it isn't how I'm wired. So, now that I've moved twice since then, I make a point of evaluating things during the summer months when I'm not home schooling and actually FIXING the things that drive me crazy. Thank you Flo Feldman....you have been such a blessing to me! And thanks to the OP for suggesting this...I've paid attention when I'm photographing things, but not so much when I'm cutting or coloring!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I guess I just thought my lamp "had to be there", because that is where it always was, and I am not big on change, LOL! Time to shake things up a little bit, move that lamp, LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Your post just made me smile, Vicki. We've all had those aha moments that come just a smidge later than we would've liked. I went for weeks not stamping this summer and when I first got back into it ... well it was like I'd never done it before! I had a few "aha" moments for things that used to be second nature!

As for new arrangements of our tools - I JUST got the Perfect Layers tools in the mail and I'm so excited to use them. It will require a shift in how I keep my work surface organized though, and even though I'm psyched for it, I anticipate some awkward moments. Probably some delayed AhA! ones too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same situation. My solution though was to buy another lamp for the other side of my desk.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

That's why my light source is suspended from the ceiling

I've done some SERIOUSLY ridiculous things in the past along those lines, and some of them even showed up on my blog for all to see BEFORE I realized how...DOH!...it was and fixed it...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by JadiebirdView Post
I have a desk light that I use, and it sits toward the right side of my desk, shining on my work area. I am also right handed. Whenever I color or cut something out, my hand casts a shadow, making it difficult to get lots of light on what I am doing.

Every time I noticed that, I would think, "Gee, I could see so much better if my hand was not casting a shadow", LOL! So finally today a lightbulb went off in my head, and I said to myself, "Hey big dummy, just move that light over way to the LEFT, and get rid of the shadow." I did it, and now I have plenty of light. What a dork I am to take so long to figure that simple solution out, LOL!
I have a hubby that will instantly point out the error of my ways and he's almost always right! LOL! Saves me from doing a lot of stupid stuff and if I WANT to do it that way, I tell him to get lost!

Terry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

I guess I just thought my lamp "had to be there", because that is where it always was, and I am not big on change, LOL! Time to shake things up a little bit, move that lamp, LOL!

LOL! -- Maybe this is a "Vicki" thing -- I'm exactly the same way. I think I'm focusing so hard on the task at hand, I don't stop to analyze how to make things easier or more efficient. I blame this lack of analytical skills and logical thinking on my decidedly right-brained-ness ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2012, 05:35 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Ott-Lites are Bet

I can totally understand where you are coming from. I studied Interior Design in college (even though I never went anywhere with it!), but my favorite part was lighting design. You really can't do anything "right" without proper lighting.

That being said, flash forward to my current "obsession" (paper crafting), I tried numerous light sources to try and properly light my work space. I finally discovered the Ott-Lite! WOW, what a difference a "daylight" bulb can make! I ended up buying three of the small portable folding lamps when they were on sale at JoAnn's. I have one placed on either side of my work area, as well as one placed at a higher location for general lighting, as there is no overhead lighting in my current space. I even use them for sewing!! They truly are the best light available and are offered in a variety of styles & sizes!!

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=71900

REG
Designs!

Renee' Gregory
Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

This made me smile and chuckle. I have these moments too. I kept complaining that the wires for my heatgun etc were getting tangled in my chair. I kept at it for awhile...Hubby came in and moved the surge protector around the back of the desk away from the chair...all done. He just laughed. Glad you solved your shadow issue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2012, 08:38 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Too funny....I have been muttering over the same problem for awhile now. Have moved my lamp here and there but duh....not that far to the left. Off I go to give it a try
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

lol It is so reassuring that I'm not the only one thinking (or not thinking) this way...hehehe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #15  
Inking Addict

Default Desk Light

Quote:

WE MUST BE RELATED!
Reply With Quote Likes