Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-09-2012, 05:55 AM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Question Gallery question

I know we have gotten so many more people here than "back in the old days" and I am wondering - is that why the drop off in comments? I looked at an old card of mine ( while trying to answer a "when was so and so's wedding" question) and it had a bunch of comments...but wasn't a particularly great card. Then I feel like I do a faboo one now and it gets nada - I am not fishing for comments nor asking for validation on cards, but I am really curious, is it just me noticing this?
Old 09-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I don't think it's just you, but I don't think it's just recent either! I think there have been threads like this ever since I registered. Back then it was blogs that were starting to eat into people's gallery time (as well as the fact that I don't think any of us have enough time for all the things we want to do ), and now there are things like FaceBook, Twitter and Pinterest too, all competing for a finite amount of online time. I try to leave comments on the challenges I play along in, but my regular routine of online random gallery time (rather than challenge-specific) in the early mornings was knocked off track this summer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think Sabrina is right - that there are so many more places for people to spend their limited "online computer time." I think especially those who work away from home have many more demands and less time to browse the gallery.

Another factor could be that so many more kids are using the computer to do their schoolwork these days. In a family with only one computer, that limits Mom's time to go online and look at things. I know this has happened to my daughter, who has 7 children, and several computers.

Many times I've asked her, "Did you see such and such?" and she says, "No Mom, the kids have been online and I haven't had a chance to look."

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Judy! I try to spend a little time every day looking at recent uploads and favoriting and commenting. But I don't have the time pressures of most, being retired.

I know it feels kind of sad to post something and then have it disappear without a trace! I am new to the forum and only started a gallery recently and I let it get to me until I sort of understood that not many people have time to go through the new uploads, and that the challenge galleries get more comments because everyone likes to see what others have done with the challenge. I started doing the color challenges and have made some "comment friends".

I just tried to look in on your recent uploads, but could not find them. Being Sunday, maybe they haven't been moderated yet. I'll look tomorrow!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it has something to do with blogs and other social media becoming popular, but I saw threads like this long before that became common.

When I first started uploading here in 2007, I remember commenting to my husband that it was almost bizarre to me that within half an hour, over one hundred people had viewed my card!! Wow! It was really a novel experience to me. Of couse, it's not like that anymore.

I think the reason is "so many cards.... so little time."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

no you are not the only one Judy....I can say though that I am guilty often of favoriting cards and not taking the time to say what I love about the card. I will try to do better. My gallery is the same. I guess everyone else doesn't like some of my cards as much as I do.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Comments

Then there are people like me who never get time to look at everything properly.....except when I am overseas on holiday, like now, and have lots of spare time to mess about with a friend, looking at all these gorgeous creations on SCS and being able to spend the time to post a comment.

But if people are not getting many comments these days let me just say - there are thousands of amazingly talented people out there and I am loving seeing all your creations, so thanks to everyone!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I enjoy reading about the cards when I look at the gallery uploads. When people explain how they did something, I learn from it. When people write about the person they are giving the card to, I love it, it makes the card come alive. And I love when people list their supplies specifically, so if I like something they used I can get the exact same thing to use myself.

I've said it before - the gallery is a treasure. Sitting down and looking at the recent uploads is a relaxing and uplifting and instructive experience for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My computer takes too long to go back after I make a comment. If I really like someones stuff I privately message them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2012, 03:48 AM   #10  

Received 206 Likes on 185 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakinmytymeView Post
My computer takes too long to go back after I make a comment. If I really like someones stuff I privately message them.
To make commenting quicker, open the card in a new window then you can comment on a few and go back and close the open windows....
I do it that way all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Many times if I am looking for an idea for a particular stamp I find a card that I really like. The problem is sometimes that card maybe 3 or more years old. I wonder if people even know I left a comment. I sure don't look back at my old posts and see if a comment has been left. I guess if you mark to have an email sent when a comment arrives you would know.

I am trying to get better at leaving comments but I tend to favorite immediately and then go back and look closer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

I think a lot of us are using devices that aren't as user-friendly for typing comments. Smart phones, iPads, etc. are great for viewing gallery cards but not as great for typing comments. Sometimes my only "downtime" is while I am nursing my baby, so I will look at cards but don't have my hands free to type. Maybe it's because we live in such a multi-tasking world now, and we have too many things going on at once. However, I love seeing all the great cards and projects and try to find a little time to leave comments when I can.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kilroyView Post
Many times if I am looking for an idea for a particular stamp I find a card that I really like. The problem is sometimes that card maybe 3 or more years old. I wonder if people even know I left a comment. I sure don't look back at my old posts and see if a comment has been left. I guess if you mark to have an email sent when a comment arrives you would know.

I am trying to get better at leaving comments but I tend to favorite immediately and then go back and look closer.
I have email settings on for my uploads - it always gives me a real lift when someone comments on an older card. And since I quite often watch slideshows of the SU sets, I'll sometimes comment on older cards myself.
Reply With Quote Likes