View Single Post
Unread 09-03-2012, 01:43 AM   #1820
SophieLaFontaine
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
I think that's true for some people! See, I think the whole point for me is that we all come from different places! Atheists don't really have much in common, necessarily, except a lack of belief in a supernatural god.

Obviously I believed for 50 years. But no longer do. So I don't fit with this idea, but I know a couple of people who do!

But did you MAKE yourself stop believing? Or did it just happen naturally, as a result of not thinking about God for several years, etc.?

I know belief changes sometimes over time. But I have the impression that these changes occur naturally (out of the control of the person), and not as a result of a conscious decision to believe or refuse to believe.

Like taste? I know that eons ago I used to like swimming (well, playing in water). Now I don't, but I didn't do anything to MAKE myself change my taste for swimming. It just happened, out of my control. I feel that I can't control my own tastes (and beliefs), so it's hard for me to imagine that someone else can.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!