Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adhesive for wire?

I bought some embellishments that are basically thin wire twisted into shapes. I am trying to adhere one to a card and realized I have no idea how to get it to stick on there! Is there a glue or other adhesive that can attach thin wire to cardstock? To make it more complicated, I'm trying to attach it to dark-colored cardstock, so I need something that won't bleed out on the paper and darken it.

I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions before I just give up and tie it on somehow!!

Thanks for your help!

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

The best way I've found to add those kinds of embellishments is to kind of sew them on with a piece of thin matching wire - figure out where you want the embellishment, poke a small hole on each side of the wire in one spot and then thread the thinner wire thru the holes and over the embellishment, then twist them on the backside of the layer.

This makes for a messy back, so it really works best to do it on a layer and glue that layer down afterward.

Mono also makes a metal glue that works pretty well for holding metal embellishments to paper, but it's hard to keep it from squishing out from under the kind of thing you're talking about.

One other suggestion - which I haven't tried, but I think might work - is to run the embellishment thru a small xyron. That should get adhesive only on the back of the wire. I'm not certain how strong the stick will be, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

Thanks, Cheryl. Those are great ideas! I think I'll try the xyron first and see if it will hold. If not, I will dig through my stash of wire and see if I can find something to "sew" it on. Thanks again for your great suggestions!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I was going to say Xyron too. You can use a hot glue gun. You will need a glue gun with a thin line if your wire creations are tiny. I would worry the glue might peek through. I use a hot glue gun when working with wire usually but my wire is a heavier gauge.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2012, 11:28 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
The best way I've found to add those kinds of embellishments is to kind of sew them on with a piece of thin matching wire - figure out where you want the embellishment, poke a small hole on each side of the wire in one spot and then thread the thinner wire thru the holes and over the embellishment, then twist them on the backside of the layer.
Maybe instead of two holes, you can try poking only one hole, directly behind the wire. The two wire ends might be able to fit, and then there'd only be one hole, which might be more easily hidden.

Also, if you can't find thin-enough wire for this, you might try crochet (thicker) thread, or two or three layers of normal thread. You can colour the thread first to match the wire.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Adhesive for wire

I had to find an adhesive for wire some time ago and a site was recommended to me

www.gluethistothat.com

On this site they have a list of all types of things and recommended the best glue to do the job. I was looking for a glue to stick wire to wood ,and found one and it worked great and I made many craft projects using it..

Unfortuately i do not have that glue at home to give you the name ,but if you go to the site its a great resource which i have used a number of times. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Thanks for all the answers! I tried the Xyron and it might have worked if I had checked the thickness of the embellishment first. It got stuck, and although I was able to manuever it out the embellishment was all twisted up! It came in a package of 3 so I just tossed that one and tried to sew another one on with wire. I think I can get it to work that way if I get a bit more strategic in how I place it. It is going to take a little more patience than I had last night, so I will have to try again this weekend. Thanks again!!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes