Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michaels has...

Can't believe when I went to Michaels today they actually had "My Minds Eye" 6x6 pads. They had the Lost and Found ones. A couple of other companies too!!! I am always so shocked when they actually get something that is actually "IN" !!!! Other then that, still the same old stuff!!! Anyone else see anything new??? Personally, I think they should fire there buyers!!!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

What a find! I go into my Michael's a couple times a week...always disappointed. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

Hear hear Inkerbelle!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 01:00 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

that would be....their buyer!!! :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatGirlThereView Post
that would be....their buyer!!! :(
And the fact that they may only reset areas two to four times a year. With all the new stuff that is constantly being released, they should be resetting at least every month, if not the whole section, at least have a set spot for new releases, kind of like with DVDs, etc that changes every week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

nystamper-little hi jack here. but thought i would share.
tracy is holding her 5th annual gathering. 85 people. i've never missed her event. tons of fun. many of us stay friday & saturdat nights. do some jammie stamping @ night.
hit buffalo stamps. just a great time.
go to the thread "get it together". less than 10 spots left
love for you to join us ~ gayla
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Swapper of the Month November 2012

Received 205 Likes on 158 Posts

Every Michaels I've been in has the Class of '05 stamp in their $1 bin. Noticed today the $1.50 items were 66 cents today.

It’s weird being the same age as old people.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

Hear hear Inkerbelle!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYstamperView Post
And the fact that they may only reset areas two to four times a year. With all the new stuff that is constantly being released, they should be resetting at least every month, if not the whole section, at least have a set spot for new releases, kind of like with DVDs, etc that changes every week.
Exactly!!
I remember how excited I/We were when they got clear stamps. Well, how many years is that now??? They never change them!!!!!!!! Their wood stamps,. . . OY they have some that are still the same stamps since the beginning of time!! LOL
It should'nt be that difficult to go into Michaels ready to use a coupon, but I go in so much and walk out empty handed!!
They really need to hire some people who really know whats "IN" at the moment, because their buyers sure dont know.
Their main problem is, just like you said NYstamper. They finally get something new and exciting in, but then never keep up with it. It will be the same for years!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My M's here on Vancouver Island, BC Canada still has Basic Grey from 2 years ago. They are getting something in but they have not finished clearing up the section. I have not bought anything from there since Christmas. But some one keeps buying up the stuff because they are still in business.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

A Little Birdie Told Me hi

Don't ask a worker why things don't change. I made that mistake ONCE. A relative of my husband works in the office at one and her daughter is some kind of manager at another one.

Some plastic cases were on sale that I bought before and wanted to keep paper in to stay dry in my damp basement. The cases did not close tightly and did not meet my needs. "J" told me they were on sale and I made the mistake of saying that I prefer the Joanne's cases since those stayed shut. No, I do not make any comments in front of her about M's.

Again, I shop at 2 different M's and both get the items I was interested in years after I buy it on line. Oh well, M's forced me to shop on line to get the current items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I am in agreement with all of you!! There is nothing in our Michael's that inspires me
and I have 2 gift cards that I'm trying to use. I just buy adhesive when it's on sale
or use a coupon. I have better luck online too.

-Maryellen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I buy glue, paper (when it is on sale) and new dollar stamps. That about it. And I had 3 gifts cards. Still trying to use them up. I don't think our ACMoore is much better. Bobbi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I asked at Hobby Lobby if they could get something and the gal there said they have a buyer that looks for bargains and if they can't get something for a price they like, they won't carry it and just get sent stuff, they have no say. Not sure if that works for Michaels or if it's true or not. Disappointing though when that's the only place to get stuff locally.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to shop at Michaels. Its not the same any more.
The stuff are clueless to say the least.
A couple weeks I called and asked them to check for a cricut cartridge that I was interested.
A few minitues later the person came on the phone and told me they didn't have it.
I ordered it from Amazon w/free shipping.

Two days later I'm inside Michaels looking for something else. Guess what I came across. Yep, you guessed right, the cartridge that I was interested in.

Oh well, they lost a sale.

The other issue I have is this. The economy is tough, gas prices sky rockeded, most people have to drive several miles to shop at Michaels and they don't allow us to use more coupons. One per day per customer. Perfect policy to loose customers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2012, 03:35 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh, I agree with everyone's posts - was in there yesterday - like many of you trying to use up a gift card. Came out with 2-$1.00 stamps and a prisma pencil...what a disappointment. Though the staff is very good they also complain about the selection.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #17  
Embossing Fanatic

I saw that the $1.50 bins are on sale (yeah right) for .50 cents...
I guess they were not selling..I wonder what they are thinking, a buck fifty from "silliness"...:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2012, 05:37 AM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi everyone, this is really an interesting post to me because I am from Sydney Australia and am planning a big trip to the USA next year and one of my WISH LIST stops was Michaels after my aunty here told me she heard about it being amazing. However, based on this post I may just cross it off. Is it really not that good?

It is quite an expensive hobby to buy scrapbooking stuff here in Australia unfortunately, so I buy a lot of things from online stores in the US, mostly. It is a shame as I would love to support my own economy but when, for example, I can buy something for US$5 that retails here for $149.99 ... it just doesn't make sense.

Another example, I bought the Silhouette printer from the USA for $260 or $270 (coverted to Australian dollars) last year, price includes international delivery. To buy it here was $599 for the printer ONLY!!!

Can you guys tell me please where in the states (shop names, states, links, etc) has great variety and stock, and is reasonably priced for scrapbooking/card making supplies please? Will be very grateful for any input. Have a year or so to plan the big trip, got to make sure I head to the right stores to stock up on my supplies to scrap my holiday on my return!!! )))))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2012, 06:51 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi girl with no name. I think you should keep Michael's on your list and also make sure you print some coupons when you come to the U.S., because pretty much every week they have a coupon for 40% off an item. I would recommend that you go to Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Archivers and JoAnns, and Pat Catans. I live in the mid-West (Akron, Ohio) so I don't know where you are going in the U.S. Depending on where you go, there may also be a couple of rubber stamp stores that are family owned. Most have closed around me, but there is still an AWESOME place in Zoar, Ohio. She is only open 3 weekends per month. Its called The Stamp Pad. Anyway, I think we are spoiled here (with regard to Michaels, JoAnns, etc.) Its true, they don't get much new stuff in and the staff doesn't know anything about the craft for the most part, but for someone that has never been there - I think you would really enjoy it. Another thing that would be SO AWESOME is if you could attend a rubber stamping convention when you are here. They are all over the U.S. at different times. Here is an example link - RSMadness - the original stamping magazine
We are very fortunate here and have lots of resources. I think you are going to have a fantastic time. Good luck and God Bless You!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2012, 06:52 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Definitely Archivers. Not always the best price but a lot to chose from. Sign up before you come to get their coupons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2012, 07:06 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

girlwithnoname,

If your trip to the states isn't until next year, it's hard to know what to recommend. It sounds like Michael's is trying to increase the desirability of its stock, so a year from now, they might be higher on people's lists. Or lower. A lot can happen.

I think if you're limited in supply choice in Oz, you will like Michael's. They have their own brand of supplies (recollections) that I think has some lovely embellishment choices-- I could be wrong but I suspect they have the same manufacturer as prima. They have many of the basics-- staz on, memento-- and some national brand names -- hero arts, Tim Holtz. Also, lots of cute things for under $2-- might be a good place to snag gifties for your friends back home. ;)

One of the factors here is that each and every one of these stores, even within a chain, is a little different depending on where it is. So my Michael's is pretty nice, I think, but there are other ones I've been to that are awful-- and if that were my "home" store, I would know why people dislike it.

If you've never been to Michael's (or a JoAnn's or a Hobby Lobby or an ACMoore), I think you will enjoy your first trip to all of them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilma423View Post
Definitely Archivers.
Well, they have the fewest locations, I think, but Archiver's has the best selection if you can get to one!

If you're more specific about there "where" you're going to visit (perhaps as you get closer to your trip, since a lot can change in a year), I'm sure people can help you pinpoint where to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Better Price

I agree with all of you about Michaels.. I just wanted to let everyone know that my local A.C. Moore had the Mind's Eye pads regularly priced 2 dollars less then Mikes..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

I saw them at my Michaels in Las Vegas too.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2012, 04:09 AM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

Wow all, thanks so much for all the insight! I will DEFINITELY be posting and researching (with the help of fellow crafters, like yourselves) before I come up!

At this stage we are still deciding whether to go West or East coast. My wish list though is either Disneyland Anaheim, Seattle, San Fran and maybe Vancouver ... OR ... Disneyworld in Florida and NY.

So yep, lots of decisions to be made (costs of course will be the biggest dictator). All very exciting!

THANKS again to all of you for taking the time to respond. I am so grateful
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #25  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I love those 6x6 packs, but ACMoore had them for $2 cheaper than Michaels. Michaels did have more in their selection, but I'm not paying $5.99 a pack when I can get them for $3.99 at ACM. I use a coupon at Michaels if I find one I must have!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2012, 04:34 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

MME 6x6 pads just spotted at a Michaels in Dallas this week. A tall end cap full of many different collections up through winter CHA releases. First time ever spotted in our area that I know of. $5.99/pad. We don't have AC Moore here but there are always coupons to use from Ms, HL, Joann, and even Aaron's framing which themselves are stepping up by carrying tons of Tim Holtz.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I went to Pat Catan's for the first time 2 weeks ago and I love it! I was visiting Western PA and stopped in. They have great selection and great prices! Their every day prices are reasonable. For example, if I remember correctly, they had Spectrum Noir marker sets for less than $7. I just saw them at AC moore for $14.99. I live in NYC so I have a number of Michael's, JoAnnes and AC Moore to shop from. I love AC Moore! I always seem to find a good deal with them and I like their selection of products but they aren't the closest for me. I have to cross a Bridge to get to one. I work at Michael's and while my location has the nicest people, both employees and customers, I would agree that we don't have the best selection or the best prices. Then again, sometimes I think that just might be a "familiarity breeds contempt" issue. I shop at my location and 2 others near by so often they can't change their product fast enough to keep me excited. I hope I am explaining myself. Hobby Lobby is my all time favorite. I love to shop their entire store not just stamps. They have great quality and value, not cheap, no bargains to be had but good quality, solid product. I like Joannes but it always seems to be hit or miss for me with their brick and mortar store. I have had lots of luck shopping with them on line when they have sales and free shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #28  
Crimping Master

Hi,

Our AC Moore (Wilkes-Barre, PA) and one I was in Roanoke, VA, have the MME 6X6 pads. They have Lost and Found, Stella and Rose (not sure if that's the right name) and some Miss Caroline, as well as a few others. In this case, also, they're on an end cap and they're $3.99. I think I've bought every one they have. When they're paper pads go on sale 40% off, these are on sale, too!

Now I have to go to Michael's and see if I've missed them there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #29  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I love those 6x6 packs, but ACMoore had them for $2 cheaper than Michaels. Michaels did have more in their selection, but I'm not paying $5.99 a pack when I can get them for $3.99 at ACM. I use a coupon at Michaels if I find one I must have!
Sigh. $5.99? In Canada at Mikes, they're $9.99!!! :confused: (And no 40% coupon this week, either, otherwise, I might have been tempted!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

If I ever go to my Mike's and see MME paper, I might faint! We'll see if it ever makes it here! (I doubt it)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2012, 04:52 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

I was their yesterday (for the first time in a LONG time) and noticed the MME 6x6 paper pads. Question though...they had Teresa Collins Everyday Moments not packaged Teresa Collins, but MME. Found that really weird, as well as World Traveler and Christmas Home...anyone know why?
Link to Teresa Collins Everyday Moments: Everyday Moments | Teresa Collins Designs
Reply With Quote Likes