Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New from FL

Hey everyone! My name is Mike and I live in the Central Florida area. I haven't stamped in many years (10), but I used to emboss and use stencils to create greeting cards in middle school. With the holidays fast approaching, I figured now would be a good time to start making cards again. Plus, it was something I really enjoy.

Also, I start dialysis in the next few months and will be doing my treatments from home. The two hours each day will give me plenty of time to practice and make cards. If something good comes out of this, it is the fact that I'll have something to do to pass the time.

I just found out about clear stamps, what a great idea. I'm trying to collect a variety of stamps, mostly for the holidays and invitation type greetings. Where would be a good and cost effective place to look? Also, I know card stock is a big thing and I like the 100#, do y'all have any suggestions for a great retailer with good prices and matching envelopes? I know Stampin' Up is an option, but what else?

This community is huge! I look forward to learning a lot. Thanks for having me! :mrgreen:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2012, 07:19 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Hi Mike & welcome! Can you start making my holiday cards please?

Sorry to hear about your health issues - I hope you stay strong!

Be sure and visit our Member Company forums: Splitcoaststampers Forums: Card & Craft Making Discussions, Scrapbooking, Techniques, Challenges & More Forums and watch for their release parties, challenges, etc. - there are a lot of fun opportunities there.

If you need inspiration, we have challenges every day to help with ideas - you can see a list of them on our home page. There's no time limit - they are just for inspiration.

Also be sure and sign up for our newsletter (over on the left) to get a free tutorial each week and links to the most popular threads on the site as well as discounts on crafty products.

Please let me know if I can help you with anything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Hi Mike and welcome from New Zealand. I admire your attitude that you can have fun with your 'down time'. Enjoy exploring the forum - there is heaps of inspiration and help here!
Stephanie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #4  
Glitter Queen

Thanks to both of you for the warm welcome. Where would I look if I'm trying to get ideas for Halloween cards?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

You can do a search for 'halloween'. Go to the gallery page, and on the left hand side where it says "In the Gallery" , there is 'search' with a down arrow. Click on the down arrow and enter halloween in the space. This will bring up cards that have 'halloween' in their key words.
Stephanie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Wishing you the best with your treatments. Like mentioned above do a search and you will find many ideas. Here is one I thought was so cute.
Friendly Mummy by Technique_Freak - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

It isn't my card but I do have this set and may use it as a strating point for my cards this year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #7  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by kilroyView Post

It isn't my card but I do have this set and may use it as a strating point for my cards this year.
That really is a neat card! I really like those stamps. There's definitely a lot more to this than I thought! I used to just stamp and emboss. Haha.

Also, thank you for the warm wishes! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Another welcome.
On the Halloween Cards, to take out the step of searching yourself, we do have Occasions galleries which are keyword driven and will give pretty much the same results.
The page listing the galleries is here: Occasions & Themes Gallery: Handmade Greeting Cards for All Occasions & Themes - Splitcoaststampers

Wishing you the best of luck with the dialysis - stamping sounds like a good way to use the time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Another welcome.
On the Halloween Cards, to take out the step of searching yourself, we do have Occasions galleries which are keyword driven and will give pretty much the same results.
The page listing the galleries is here: Occasions & Themes Gallery: Handmade Greeting Cards for All Occasions & Themes - Splitcoaststampers

Wishing you the best of luck with the dialysis - stamping sounds like a good way to use the time!
Thank you! Also, thanks for the link, this will help me with ideas for sure! :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Another idea, Mike, is to check out digital stamps. I don't mean to overwhelm you, but stamping has come a long way in 10 years. In addition to clear stamps, you can buy digital stamps and download them to your computer. Once they are downloaded, you can pull them into a wordprocessing document and size it as you wish. They also tend to be a lot cheaper. There are a lot of free ones out there also. Just google free digi stamps and you will be amazed. Welcome back and have fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #11  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwiswellView Post
Another idea, Mike, is to check out digital stamps. I don't mean to overwhelm you, but stamping has come a long way in 10 years. In addition to clear stamps, you can buy digital stamps and download them to your computer. Once they are downloaded, you can pull them into a wordprocessing document and size it as you wish. They also tend to be a lot cheaper. There are a lot of free ones out there also. Just google free digi stamps and you will be amazed. Welcome back and have fun.
Thanks, I will do that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #12  
Glitter Queen

Tried some stamping today, definitely have a lot of learning to do! I haven't picked up a stamp in over 10 years, so I guess I need to re-learn everything.

Would it be beneficial to take some classes with my Stampin'Up Demonstrator?
Reply With Quote Likes