View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 02:11 AM   #95
KatarinaM
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Thanks for the great info Dee Ann!

Do you happen to know if there is a tutorial out there showing how to fix these 'node errors'? I wouldn't have a clue where to start with this common problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
Are you using the Silhouette Studio or Silhouette Designer Edition?

Most companies use SVG's so that's what I am going to base my quick tutorial on. If it's a different file format just let me know and I can get those open for you too. I posted above I am fighting a migraine so if any of this is confusing just let me know.

I open my SVG files in Inkscape. I save them as PNG. Open Silhouette Studio, open your PNG file and then trace. I know this is a hassle. It's a good thing too. SVG's are always going to have node errors. Retracing does pick up node errors. You can start training your eyes to see where they are. Nine times out of ten die cutters have "failure" problems due to a simple node error. An example would be too many nodes on a curve so the machine chokes up and rips your files, stops the machine or tears up your cardstock. Those are just a couple of examples.

I am not knocking any companies SVG's. It's just one of those things. I design files too and find node errors all the time on my own work.

If you have Internet Explorer 9 you can also open your SVG's in IE9 and save the file as PNG and then open in Cameo, trace, fix, cut.

If you have Designer Edition of the Silhouette Studio you should be able to open SVG files natively. I don't own SDE but I do know it has SVG import.

If your trying to open a WPC, MTC, SCAL file you will need the software for those files. WPC- Funtime, MTC-MTC, SCAL-SCAL. You will need to have the full paid version of these programs to convert your files correctly. With SCAL & MTC you can do it with a trial version but it adds a watermark so your doing more editing that the file is worth. This is the last time I checked on both of these software programs. Todd or Andy might have changed this in a software update. I own full versions of both programs. You can download trials of the programs and try.