Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-31-2012, 10:20 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paypal and being verified

I know this isn't about stamping, but it is an issue that those of us who order online face. Give me some info on becoming verified to use Paypal. I have used it for years with no problems and have not linked to a checking account because of problems that I read about in the forums here. Are you verified? This is not one of those scam emails. This is a notification when I sign in to the real Paypal site. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2012, 10:31 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes I am verified - no problems here. I also use the security fob for all my transactions for one more level of access security. It's a small device that randomly generates a 6 digit code to enter for all my transactions after I log in. If I don't have the fob in hand when I log in, the system asks me additional security questions instead before it allows me to proceed to transactions. I think it cost me $5 to have them send me the fob.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am linked to my checking account. I've had it that way for so long I don't remember. I haven't had any problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2012, 11:24 AM   #4  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I'm verified, and mine is linked to my account - I've never had problems. They offer you verified after a certain number of transactions and it gives you additional credibility as a buyer/seller.

I love Paypal
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

I love paypal! I've been verified forever, just as soon as I found EBay!:-D

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

I have been verified for years with no issues. I have a my checking account and two credit cards hooked up to my account. I've never been swindled! PayPal is the best!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2012, 01:58 PM   #7  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

If you are really concerned about your paypal being tied to your bank account, just set up a separate account that you use solely for paypal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I don't know why PayPal is singled out as being 'at risk' for scams or hacking. ANY bank account is just as susceptible. Especially now that they are almost all offering online banking and access.
If you follow some basic rules regarding security, you should not have a problem.

NEVER open a link to Paypal from an email. Type in the address directly in your address bar, or use the bookmark link you know you created yourself.

NEVER fill out ANY information about your PP info, no matter how authentic the email or link from an email looks, PP will NEVER ask for your info offsite.

Use a GOOD password, letters, numbers, upper and lower case combinations. Write it down in a safe place until you have memorized it. Change it every so often.

I've used PP for over 10 years, never had a problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2012, 06:41 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I seem to remember (it's been a long time) that PayPal charged an amount to my checking account, like $1 or something, and then I had to tell them the amount that they charged and then they backed it out. Is that how the rest of you verified your account? It was really simple and painless though, I do remember that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2012, 01:50 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyMel2View Post
I seem to remember (it's been a long time) that PayPal charged an amount to my checking account, like $1 or something, and then I had to tell them the amount that they charged and then they backed it out. Is that how the rest of you verified your account? It was really simple and painless though, I do remember that!
Yes, thats how they did it when I verified mine. I agree with the other posters, its just as safe as you make it, safer than typing your number into sites you have never used before, certainly. You also have the comfort of knowing that IF something should go wrong with money being paid out/taken out without your knowledge, Paypal put it right.
Verified just gives you more cred with sellers, and more online protection for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2012, 04:20 AM   #11  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 606 Likes on 426 Posts

I started a small bank account that I just use for paypal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2012, 05:11 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I've been verified by PayPal for about two years now with no issues. It was an easy process and very secure. They deposited two small deposits to the account I provided and I had to confirm the amounts. I can't remember the exact amounts but they were both under 10 cents each. I think they reversed the deposit after the verification was complete. I also have a credit card linked to my account as backup to my chequing account. If you follow the suggestions listed above about never clicking on links in emails and only logging onto PayPal by going to their site directly, you will be fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #13  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

I've been verified on Paypal so long.... they sent me a letter in the mail to verify my address

I have never had a problem

and actually, I used to have the Mastercard debit card from them. when I moved across country and the charges I made were in FL rather than NV, they actually called me on the phone to check.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

I've had PP for years and use it a lot and am verified. I've had some SPAM emails but I AWAYS reported them, havent had one in forever. ONE VERY IMPORTANT hting they said that if a PP email does NOT have your full name (from your account) on it that its SPOOF!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm verified and linked to a checking account that is kept at a very very small balance. I also use the security key fob. I've had this for years and never any problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm verified but I don't link to my bank account; I have it linked to a credit card. I did not want to allow access to my checking account, even one set up just for that, because of the risk of having money pulled out fraudulently and then having to wait to get it "back" in my account. So I just do the credit card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmph!! I am NOT verified. I'm going to wait until the last minute to be verified, like when I have a dollar's sending limit left before I can't use it anymore to send money. I DID go to a credit union where I have absolutely no other accounts, and opened an account with them, with a small minimum balance, and told them that I wanted that account with them ONLY so I could use it in the future for Paypal. They were okay with that. This way, Paypal would not have any access to my other accounts.

Right now, every single time I'm forced to use Paypal to pay (because some merchants ONLY accept Paypal), I get an email from Paypal saying that I'm nearing my sending limit and that I can remove that by becoming verified.

I guess I got scared several years ago reading some forums where some angry people got burned by Paypal, and it really affected me.

Can you really get verified by linking it JUST to a credit card?? I already have a credit card on there... going to check on that. I would much prefer to become verified using ONLY a credit card.

Edited to add:
I just googled it, and one CAN use a credit card to get verified!!!
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...firmed-outside
Hurray!!!!!!
Thank you Moodyblue!!!!!!!!!
This is exactly what I was hoping for a couple of years ago!!! I remember thinking that I would hold off for as long as I could, in the hopes that Paypal would give me another option to become verified; one that would NOT involve any of my bank accounts!!!

Okay, edited yet again:
I went to my Paypal account to get verified, but it only gives me two options: link the bank account, or apply for Paypal Mastercard. I'd be fine with applying for their Mastercard ('cause there's no annual fee) but...I'd rather just use the credit card that I have already. Is there a way to do that??

Last edited by SophieLaFontaine; 08-01-2012 at 08:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2012, 02:19 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I am verified. No problem so far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2012, 05:44 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
Hmph!! I am NOT verified. I'm going to wait until the last minute to be verified, like when I have a dollar's sending limit left before I can't use it anymore to send money. I DID go to a credit union where I have absolutely no other accounts, and opened an account with them, with a small minimum balance, and told them that I wanted that account with them ONLY so I could use it in the future for Paypal. They were okay with that. This way, Paypal would not have any access to my other accounts.

Right now, every single time I'm forced to use Paypal to pay (because some merchants ONLY accept Paypal), I get an email from Paypal saying that I'm nearing my sending limit and that I can remove that by becoming verified.

I guess I got scared several years ago reading some forums where some angry people got burned by Paypal, and it really affected me.

Can you really get verified by linking it JUST to a credit card?? I already have a credit card on there... going to check on that. I would much prefer to become verified using ONLY a credit card.

Edited to add:
I just googled it, and one CAN use a credit card to get verified!!!
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...firmed-outside
Hurray!!!!!!
Thank you Moodyblue!!!!!!!!!
This is exactly what I was hoping for a couple of years ago!!! I remember thinking that I would hold off for as long as I could, in the hopes that Paypal would give me another option to become verified; one that would NOT involve any of my bank accounts!!!

Okay, edited yet again:
I went to my Paypal account to get verified, but it only gives me two options: link the bank account, or apply for Paypal Mastercard. I'd be fine with applying for their Mastercard ('cause there's no annual fee) but...I'd rather just use the credit card that I have already. Is there a way to do that??
You can get their credit card, and never actually use it. You have the option of having more than one method of payment entered. They will default to the PayPal card, but there is always the option to change payment method whenever you order, and then you just click on your other credit card. I have gone in and set the other card as the default, but it got changed back somehow. I just change the payment method to the card I want to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by moodyblueView Post
You can get their credit card, and never actually use it. You have the option of having more than one method of payment entered. They will default to the PayPal card, but there is always the option to change payment method whenever you order, and then you just click on your other credit card. I have gone in and set the other card as the default, but it got changed back somehow. I just change the payment method to the card I want to use.
Okay, thanks Moodyblue. I will wait 'til the last minute to apply for their Mastercard then, if they are going to keep making it the default.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

I too have been using Paypal for years. I am verified and I have not had any issues. I have a smaller separate checking account for my Paypal transactions.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2012, 04:15 AM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for all the help everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMRView Post
I started a small bank account that I just use for paypal.
After a friend said that her PayPal account had been scammed, {she thought that it was because of PayPal] I did this too. I not only opened a small account for just my "crafting money," I even opened it in a different bank than the one with our main home and farm accounts.

Although I have never had a problem, I keep that smaller account just in case.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes