Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lace doily motifs - how to c/s from die

I bought the Spellbinders Lace Doily Motifs die set. When I try to cut one of the images, I can't remove it from the die without damaging the image so much that it is unusable. I have tried using wax paper between the c/s and die without success. If I can remove the cut image, all the tiny lacey waste remains in the die. I have tried tapping the die with a toothbrush handle/handle on my metal paper piecer without any significant success.

HELP! Any suggestion? The die images are beautiful but useless if they remain stuck in the die.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2012, 06:58 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Please help with any suggestions.

My friend and I have tried several times to cut useable images without success. She used her CB and I used my Big Shot.

Last edited by Crafter 4 Life; 07-21-2012 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: Correct spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same trouble with the SU Doily diecut. I have a Cuttlebug and it does not work at all on it. My daughter has a Big Shot and she cut some for me on hers. Is still not 100% and have to pick out alot of the pieces from the design. The are really pretty - like you said ---but useless if cannot get them to cut. I have several that I have purchased with my Cameo and that works every time! Good luck! Sorry was not more help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2012, 04:21 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Team Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

A quick and easy way to fix this for any detailed die is to place a piece of wax paper between the die and the cardstock and cut it along with the cardstock. It will help get the cardstock out of the die easily!

my gallery - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2012, 06:00 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here are some similar questions and answers:

This question comes up quite often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I use the waxed paper trick also. Usually when I use waxed paper, all I will have to do to get those waste pieces out is to give my die a "tap" against my desk and they fall right out (on the floor to get swept up!). To get those pesky waste pieces out, I use a push pin to just push those pieces right out.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Yup -- wax paper works like a charm. You won't regret the decision to try it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Like I said, wax paper was the first thing I tried but it didn't help the cut image come out of the die. I guess i will take it back to the place of purchase. Maybe just a defective die.

Thank you everyone who responded to the 'SOS'. This site is so wonderful because someone is always so willing to help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Lace doily motifs how to c/s from die

I was shown how to cut intricate dies by the owner of cheery Lynn. I have used his techniques on many company intricate dies and don't even bother with wax as that is not always the answer at least in my experience. You can go to their site and watch the videos and it's a simple as using paper shims ..

This method works on Memoey Box, Die Versions to name but two companies that make I intricate doily and butterfly die for example. Hope this helps as I was really frustrated when wax paper did not work.I dot like to spend all that time picking out and destroying a die cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2012, 02:00 AM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

I use the wax paper and a thin metal shim, that seems to work
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2012, 04:08 AM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafter 4 LifeView Post
I bought the Spellbinders Lace Doily Motifs die set. When I try to cut one of the images, I can't remove it from the die without damaging the image so much that it is unusable. I have tried using wax paper between the c/s and die without success. If I can remove the cut image, all the tiny lacey waste remains in the die. I have tried tapping the die with a toothbrush handle/handle on my metal paper piecer without any significant success.

HELP! Any suggestion? The die images are beautiful but useless if they remain stuck in the die.
I was also very frustrated with the Lace Doily Motifs. I purchase steel rule dies in my job with a manufacturing plant. My vendor suggested that I use a very thin sheet of micro foam (type used in packaging). It works like a charm. It compresses and then pops back up letting the paper out of the die. I have used the same piece over and over. Just fit it back in the die before cutting.

Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2012, 05:55 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wax paper and my green handle "pokie" tool by Making Memories (Michaels coupon cheap tool)--it's what I call it (one side it a sharp push pin the other side is an embossing ball)...poke the push pin through the tinny-tiny holes in the back of a die...once it starts to release...you can pull it from the other side...(hope this makes sense)

www.quillingfancy.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2012, 05:56 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I also have a metal shim or use an additional sheet of thin card stock to make a stronger die impression.

www.quillingfancy.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2012, 06:14 AM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

For sizzlet dies like those from Stampin up, one trick is to cover the cutting side of the lace die with clear packing tape- I know this is very scary and I did not dare do this without having seen it work on the big dies - I thought I found this tip here at SCS- it will be permanently attached but since I did it, I cut the cardstock and it pops out like a dream. I do have to poke some of the pieces from the diecut with a piercer but if you shim it enough that is better too. For Spellbinders and other thin dies like Cheery Lynn, wax paper is the only way to go. I thought I saw some intricate dies came with a matching piece that I thought was made to remove the chads easier but I never did find a U tube or any video to explain so I never bought it to try it out.

my blog: http://stampingdoc.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2012, 07:36 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Lynda-

I do have a special metal pale for a specific Cheery Lynn die that really works great.

I did add packing tape to my SU Lacy Doily die and it does help.

Will try some of these other suggestions also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

I had an intricate butterfly die, blue colour can't remember the brand. Once I had tried everything and was ready to toss it, I tried a suggestion to put a piece of double sided adhesive on thin fun foam. Run it through with the adhesive side to the die. Pull off the bits that are the die cut and leave the foam in the bits that are the hollows where the left overs get stuck. This made the die usable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2012, 06:51 AM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

Nothing worthwhile comes easy. To get a good cut, either use a piece of cardstock between your cutting pads, or you can do what I do-I glued a piece of cardstock to the bottom of the die-with temporary glue of course, in case you want to remove it down the road.
I also use a heavier paper on the more intricate dies for easier removal. If I still have problems getting the cut paper off the die, I use a combination of a pokey tool which I insert at an angle (so as not to poke a hole in the paper) and gently wiggle the paper loose. I then take a pair of curved-end tweezers and gently pull the paper off of the die. Yes, a lot of work, but once you get the hang of it it's well worth the trouble to end up with a beautiful, intricate image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #18  
Glitter Queen

Here is a trick I use all the time that nobody seems to have considered: If you have no desire to save all those itty bitty leftovers (some people will save anything, ha!) once you have cut your card stock run the c.s. and/or the die - whichever needs cleaning - across the crevice tool of your vacuum cleaner. All those tiny pieces are history in a flash and no cleanup of the workspace required. I highly recommend using the Memory Box Metal Plate Adaptor as well for perfect cuts every time - you will not destroy your cut piece ever and no waxed paper needed.:-D (Also, if you are using a very small die be sure to keep a firm grip on it so you don't lose it in the vacuum.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

My local stamp store owner suggests using the die a few times with just wax paper. She says she finds that this slightly waxes the die so that when you use it with cardstock, the cardstock will release more easily.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

Default No More Shims Mat

Has anybody tried the "No More Shims Mat" made by Scor-Pal? I just read about this pad and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

I have not used the wax paper method, but do plan on trying. I have found the hints from Cheery Lynn (adding shims between tabs on multi-purpose platform for BigShot/BigKick) to work pretty well. Before I learned this I added shims directly where I had my cardstock/die and this was not successful. I use a small stylus to poke out small pieces or run a throw away lint roller over to pick up all the little pieces. Less mess with the lint roller - similar to using sweeper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2012, 07:02 AM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Here is my hopeful suggestion: the plastic liners that comes in some of the cereal boxes. It has really worked for me. I don't have the doily but I do have some of the more intricate die cuts from Spellbinders and it has worked with those. Seems to work better than the wax paper.
Reply With Quote Likes