Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Red face Heat Embossing Question

I'm using old SU! clear embossing powder (at least 4 years old) and a Marvy 2500 heat tool. I'm finding my clear powder to be dull looking after heated rather than slick and shiny like I'm trying to achieve. I also have a hard time figuring out the flow of the air from the tool and can't ever really be sure I'm not over heating it.
Does anyone have recommendations for me? TIA

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." - Nin
Prayers for Peace On Earth Within Our Time
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #2  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go to plan 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapaholic007View Post
I'm using old SU! clear embossing powder (at least 4 years old) and a Marvy 2500 heat tool. I'm finding my clear powder to be dull looking after heated rather than slick and shiny like I'm trying to achieve. I also have a hard time figuring out the flow of the air from the tool and can't ever really be sure I'm not over heating it.
Does anyone have recommendations for me? TIA
When things dont work out I always go to plan 2 which is make do or redo with what you have. If you dont want to waste the powder and its dull I would mix some embossing glitter in it. It may not be shiny but glittery is next best.
The other option is to use it as a build up embossing powder and when you want to make an object look old and cracked you build up layer at a time.The embossing powder and it doesnt matte if it is dull or not.When you have your layers you crack yourpiece and the dullness never shows. I love to use this technique on full roses.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I am pretty sure that I have embossing powder that is older than that. I don't think that is your problem. My best guess is that you may be over heating it. It hard to tell without seeing it first hand. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2012, 03:58 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

One recommendation to not overheat the powder is to heat from below, rather than above, and to move the heat tool as soon as you see the powder start to melt. The paper itself will conduct & hold the heat, so the powder will carry on melting even after you have moved the heat source away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Thank you so much for the responses and the glitter idea! I will definitely try it!

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." - Nin
Prayers for Peace On Earth Within Our Time
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Also try heating the gun up for 10-15 seconds before you point it at the paper. This way it is at full heat and the melting happens faster with less chance to overheat th EP.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I use embossing powder MANY years older than 4 and the only kind I have age-problems with is the Sticky Stuff, because all adhesives deteriorate faster than our other supplies.

When ink I emboss doesn't shine, it most often is because I need to reink the pad I used so the ink is juicy enough to hold enough powder. This also happens to me when my VersaMark pad gets old and can't seem to absorb any more of the reinker. Or when I've held the heat on so long, the cardstock absorbed the shine. Or when I'm using SU Whisper White craft ink, which seems to have a very short window between melting to a smooth shine and melting right into the cardstock.

Some brands of ink, cardstock, embossing powder and heat guns require more or less heat, ink or powder to achieve a nice smooth shine, and there are some combinations that won't produce a smooth shine no matter what.

Bottomline, embossing isn't a one-size-fits all proposition, but ALWAYS do what others have mentioned.......let the heat gun warm up before hitting the cardstock with it, so you can get the melt to happen as quickly as possible without burning the cardstock and/or the embossing powder.

When you get a nice smooth perfectly embossed image,you can't beat the feeling that you just performed magic. LOVE that! :-)

Bahb
Reply With Quote Likes