Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-02-2012, 04:26 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wood or cling mount for 2 step stamping?

Hi!

I am wondering what people think works the best here. I have a new SU set that is rubber cling mounted. It's been quite difficult for me (even using a SAMJ) to line things up properly to do the 2 step stamping.

I could have gotten this set in a wood mount. For future practice, do you think if a set uses 2-step stamping, wood mounted (if available) is the way to go?

Thanks for any advice here!
Bonnie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2012, 04:33 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I use the SAMJ for two step stamps - I'm unable to eyeball anything and I think that it works better with wood mount stamps because of the sharper edge on the wood blocks. But if you're not using the SAMJ I would think cling would be easier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2012, 06:02 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
I use the SAMJ for two step stamps - I'm unable to eyeball anything and I think that it works better with wood mount stamps because of the sharper edge on the wood blocks. But if you're not using the SAMJ I would think cling would be easier.
I know! I can't eyeball anything very accurately either! I have the new SU Reason to Smile, which I got in cling. Bummer as the wood mount was the same price! Anyway, even with my SAMJ, I can't seem to line up the 2 stamps that have the stems. It was sooo frustrating, to the point I just gave up. Yet, I did see a BEAUTIFUL card on Stampin Connect that used a couple of the stamps and not using the 2 step, so I'll make that one instead.

BTW, concerning my SAMJ, I LOST the acrylic insert that went into it. Will just a piece of cut transparency work? other ideas?

Thanks!
Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BellegirlView Post
BTW, concerning my SAMJ, I LOST the acrylic insert that went into it. Will just a piece of cut transparency work? other ideas?
Yes, any peice of clear plastic will work - just make sure it has a proper right angled corner to tuck into the angle of the SAMJ. I use the sheet that had a cling mount set on it with my home made positioner. Transparency will work but it might be a bit flimsy (and therefore harder to get it to butt up against the SAMJ rather than slipping underneath) so if you can find a sturdier piece you might find it easier. Lots of things come in clear packaging that you can cut up and use.

The only difference I can see between cling and woodmount for two-step stamping is that you need to stamp the cling on the positioning sheet every time you use the set whereas with wood mount you can do a sheet to keep in the box with the stamps and it's ready to go. If you have decent clear blocks there's no real difference between those and wood mounts.

Fiddly things like flower stems are always tricky. Make sure you're looking straight down onto the piece for each step to minimise any lining up issues.

HTH!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2012, 05:28 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
\

The only difference I can see between cling and woodmount for two-step stamping is that you need to stamp the cling on the positioning sheet every time you use the set whereas with wood mount you can do a sheet to keep in the box with the stamps and it's ready to go. If you have decent clear blocks there's no real difference between those and wood mounts.

HTH!
Oh BOY....pretty sure this is where I went wrong!!!! Now, after you point this out, it really seems quite obvious!!!

Thanks tons!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Now that I THINK I know what I'm doing here, I need to get OFF the computer and go try this!

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

It's easily done! I'm sure I'm not alone in having stamped on a positioning sheet, knocked the stamp off the block while cleaning ink off it, put the stamp back on the block, used the positiong sheet and the SAMJ to stamp my project and then sat there trying to figure out why things were so out of line :rolleyes:

Hope it works out for you!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2012, 03:20 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

I know! I can't eyeball anything very accurately either! I have the new SU Reason to Smile, which I got in cling. Bummer as the wood mount was the same price! Anyway, even with my SAMJ, I can't seem to line up the 2 stamps that have the stems. It was sooo frustrating, to the point I just gave up. Yet, I did see a BEAUTIFUL card on Stampin Connect that used a couple of the stamps and not using the 2 step, so I'll make that one instead.

Thanks!
Bonnie
Depending on the imgage, I don't always use my SAMJ for 2-step stamping. If it is off a little I think it gives it interesting look.

I use unmounted/clear mount stamps and to make sure I can perfectly place a flower stem to the flower, I trim the rubber exactly at the edge of the stem so that I know if the edge of the rubber is at the base of the flower the stem will be stamped perfectly.

Here is a sample of the Reason to Smile set not using the 2-step and I cut the stem close to the edge so I didn't need to use my SAMJ.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2012, 05:04 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Thanks!
Bonnie
I've also used vellum for sentiments I use often and keep it with the set for future use. Cardstock vellum (thicker) works better than the thin vellum.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

If the card screams for perfect I use my SAMJ. (I only have wood mounts as I like to be ready to stamp and not have to mount each stamp every time I want to use it). However, part of the beauty of many of the two-steps is that if you are a bit off, it looks a lot like watercoloring!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Keep in mind that some 2-step sets are NOT designed to match perfectly. So don't drive yourself crazy if this is the case. Stamp each on separate thin copy paper and hold them up to a light source to be sure.

To replace a lost SAMJ sheet, try plastic from packaging like from Spellbinders dies. Thick and sturdy, just be sure it is perfectly square at every corner or mark the perfect corner and always use it.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #12  
Glitter Queen

I made the same impulse buy on this set and went with clear, but in hindsight wish for wood. I am getting over it by using the stamps without the frustrating 2-step method. I actually made a project with it yesterday if you want to check out my blog....

Also, for the SAMJ I have seen people use window transparency sheets and made permanent sheets for the 2-step stamps they use most often...in case you get invested in that method, it might be worth looking into.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #13  
Glitter Queen

I made the same impulse buy on this set and went with clear, but in hindsight wish for wood. I am getting over it by using the stamps without the frustrating 2-step method. I actually made a project with it yesterday if you want to check out my blog....

Also, for the SAMG I have seen people use window transparency sheets and made permanent sheets for the 2-step stamps they use most often...in case you get invested in that method, it might be worth looking into.
Reply With Quote Likes