Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Do our cards reflect our personality????

I made an observation this am. I was making a card for my cousin using subtle colors, as I meant to, due to the reason for said card. It starting me thinking that most of my cards tend to be on the sober/somber side. However, IRL I am very out-going and friendly! So why don't my cards reflect this? Maybe it's my split personality coming out;) So do our cards reflect our personalities?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting thoughts. I, too, think of myself as outgoing and friendly, and try to be upbeat and optimistic most of the time.

I think my cardmaking style reflects my personality pretty well. I tend to like whimsical images, and use bright rather than muted colors.

I have quite a collection of stamps in the Pure Innocence line from My Favorite Things, and also like whimsical animals, like Whippersnapper and There She Goes. Also like the stamps from Penny Black.

I do not like earth tones and subtle colors much, in my clothing, furniture or cardmaking.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2012, 08:16 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to go with yes AND no.

There are too many challenges with specifics. Also I make cards specifically for someone. So often I am projecting what I think they would like with what I like for them.

That said I do think we all get a feel for a person's style because I just don't use that many supplies I don't like. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post

There are too many challenges with specifics. Also I make cards specifically for someone. So often I am projecting what I think they would like with what I like for them.

That said I do think we all get a feel for a person's style because I just don't use that many supplies I don't like. :lol:
Good points there. I also try to think of the person's likes when making a specific card for them. I've bought a lot of supplies that I really don't like and don't even use (all SU pads come to mind). I probably use a third of what I have, if truth be told....ack!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Interesting thoughts. I, too, think of myself as outgoing and friendly, and try to be upbeat and optimistic most of the time.

I think my cardmaking style reflects my personality pretty well. I tend to like whimsical images, and use bright rather than muted colors.

I have quite a collection of stamps in the Pure Innocence line from My Favorite Things, and also like whimsical animals, like Whippersnapper and There She Goes. Also like the stamps from Penny Black.

I do not like earth tones and subtle colors much, in my clothing, furniture or cardmaking.
Maybe I'm more conservative than I think. I really like earth tones and find them easier to use than brights. In fact, I'm working on a small animal image at this time and I'm struggling with those brighter colors. And I always enjoy seeing what others create with the whimsical and brights! I'll just have to keep stretching my comfort zone, lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Totally!! I am a very colourful person (except I dress mostly in black) but i have crazy hair, wild makeup and my personality is all over the map - much like my cards. I think it's hard to describe my style, just like it's hard to describe me...

Cool question, I never thought about it before!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 206 Likes on 185 Posts

HA!!!!!! I just giggled when I read your post.....I love making Clean and Simple cards but my life and me are anything BUT CAS!!!!! My house clean???? never!!! uncluttered??? never!!!! my life simple??? never!!!! I love colours but I often never wear the colours I use on my cards......
will enjoy reading this thread cause it sure gave me a smile!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by k dunbrookView Post
HA!!!!!! I just giggled when I read your post.....I love making Clean and Simple cards but my life and me are anything BUT CAS!!!!! My house clean???? never!!! uncluttered??? never!!!! my life simple??? never!!!! I love colours but I often never wear the colours I use on my cards......
will enjoy reading this thread cause it sure gave me a smile!!
Oooh, I was amazed when I read this!! I never realized it (CAS vs complicated) until I read your post - I am the opposite of you! I love making complicated, busy cards (at least that is always my goal, though I am limited to what I can mail for only 45 cents), but my life is generally CAS!! No kids, pets, or plants, a minimum of furniture, and everything completely decluttered...I figure the less time I have to spend maintaining things, the more time I can spend on cards (and surfing the internet).

I know that I am NOT out-going or social!! But my cards don't really seem introverted or anti-social to me either...

I think in general if I am making a card for the pure joy of making a card, then it generally DOES reflect my personality (Halloween-like). If I am making it for someone else, then not so much. I have several stamps that I have never used for someone else - but I just loved those images so much that I bought them anyway (knowing that I would probably not ever get a chance to use them for anything except to please myself). I guess these images ARE actually anti-social and introverted!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2012, 03:21 AM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Default Personality!

Hi
What an interesting thought, I just gone into my shed and looked at the last 20 cards made, and found them easier to do than first thought when I challenged myself to use as much of Anna Griffins papers as possible, found I enjoyed it , probably because they are slightly vintage(like me) and a faded look, also like me!
Usually I make bespoke cards, where I am given as much background on the recipient , only problem I have is, the bespoke card can take me a day to make! Not sure if that is due to far too much stash, or I am so conscious that the card has to be perfect , and worry that it wont be liked.
Though my husband asks why do I worry so much, when we know for a fact that 80% are framed , even 2 sympathy cards I made! I think I always trawl through the quotes and verses I have collected for 30 years and try and match them up to the occasion.
I used generic sayings on the AG's cards, but even those I had to stamp &
emboss, and before I know it, it's 2 in the morning!
Happy crafting
From the UK
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2012, 04:34 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I think mine reflect what I "think" of myself - CAS and not real complicated. However, as I've become older, I'm becoming more like my father -- don't know a stranger and more outgoing. However, I can visit up a storm for about 15 min of "cocktail chatter" and then it's.......what do I talk about now?

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2012, 04:41 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

My cards don't really represent my personality directly. I make so many different kinds of cards that I'd have to have multiple personality disorder! When I craft in my favourite style, I do vintage and shabby with some elegant. I never dress in those styles and my home isn't reflective of those either. Shabby and vintage aren't very child friendly! And I don't have much money to decorate. So maybe my crafting in that style fills my desire for those styles without needing to wear them or decorate in them. But when I make cards for others, I tailor my style to the person. CAS or rustic and masculine for my boys, cute and whimsical for some friends, sophisticated for others.

As I type this, I think I fill my crafting with styles other than those I gravitate to in other areas of my life. Although I love vintage clothes, I don't wear them because they aren't in style (not that im a fashion trendsetter but I don't want to feel awkward either) and too fussy to maintain/iron for a busy mom. They don't suit my figure either. I never wear or decorate in cute but I do craft in cute sometimes.

One thing I do that does reflect my personality is choose colours that I would choose otherwise for decorating or to wear. With the exception of orange which I normally hate but looks great on my blonde sons. I use it for crafting for them quite a bit. I love soft colours and do wear them. I have a new obsession with aqua/teal/turquoise and have bought quite a few clothes in that range and painted my bathroom a gorgeous bright blue/green. If I have to list my Fav 10 colours, I both decorate, craft and wear them all.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2012, 06:10 AM   #12  
Inking Addict

I have to say yes. My cards are full, just like I like to be lol!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

I think my cards do reflect my personality. I'm a pretty calm and balanced person, and I like to live a quiet simple life. I like my cards to be symmetrical, balanced, the layers all straight and even, and basically CAS. Although my house isn't always clean and tidy, it's what I want it to be and constantly strive for it to be. I don't like fussy clothes or furniture - likewise I never make fussy cards with big bows or embellishments. The stamps I buy reflect my interests in life so it's often hard for me to make cards that reflect the recipient's interests and likes!

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm all over the place! Some of my cards are for specific people and for specific occasions. Sometimes I go on a cardmaking 'binge' and find one or two patterned papers and make a bunch of cards using that. At other times, when I's supposed to be cleaning up my desk and office, I'll take my scraps and leftovers and make cards from that as I'm picking up! No pattern, rhyme, or reason, except that I do love doing it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

mmmm...my style? All over the place, multiple personality disorder lol I do anything from CAS to Scenic stamping, cute images, and shabby stuff, also do grunge once in a while....I just love to do various techniques and depending on my mood will take out stamps that match my feelings at the moment. Lately though have been doing lots of scenic stamping. Tomorrow? who knows...back to coloring with copics or maybe pulling out some flowers that are either going to get used or dumped soon ; )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I have found this to be a very thought provoking question. I reviewed my cards in my gallery and tried to think, "would I wear these colors", "would I hang this as art in my home", etc...and there's an overwhelming NO! to those types of questions. However, the construction of the cards very much does match my personality. I tend to be a bit obsessive about having things straight, in order, clean lines, and I do think my cards reflect that. I'd never wear pink polka dots with striped pants, but if it's cut well and neatly done on a card--that *is* me. Not sure if that makes a lick of sense, but I guess neat and orderly is my personality and sort of the way I make cards, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 206 Likes on 185 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranalouwhoView Post
I have to say yes. My cards are full, just like I like to be lol!!
giggle.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post

I agree. I usually make my cards with the person who is receiving it in mind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like reading what everyone is saying. Some like a CAS card style but their lives are anything but CAS. Yet there are a few who make CAS and have a CAS lifestyle. My cards are all over the place, and so is my lifestyle. I think I am a little eclectic, and I think my cards can be that way too. I make a card with the person in mind for which it will be intended, and I go with a style I think fits them. I make a lot of masculine cards because there are a lot of guys in my life. Sons, brothers, uncles, nephews, fathers, and friends. So a lot of my style is masculine grunge and vintage steampunk for men. I have always loved this style all my life. Even as a child I was drawn to Steampunk (wasn't called by that name then)--just old fashioned, or antique and vintage styles. Other times I like CAS and other times I can really make a pretty frilly girly card too! If I had to say I had a style it would be vintage--just like I am beginning to be--;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2012, 12:47 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am very eclectic in most of my tastes, so I find it interesting that I am in my card style as well. Sometimes I want uber simple and others I want to make a ten gallon card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2012, 01:38 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I was thinking about this the last time I made a card. Yes, my cards do reflect my style. I love to create fantasy, sea scenes, home scenes, Kawaii art. When I am creating I noticed even if I am trying really hard to tailor my card to the person's personality all the little things I love go on there like color schemes or glitter.

A friend of my Mom's saw one of my cards recently. She commented how beautiful it was. She said the glitter on the card was very beautiful. My Mom said "It wouldn't be my daughter's if there was not something sparkly on it!" ROFL! Least my Mom likes sparkly.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2012, 03:53 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

This is interesting. Most of my cards are colorful and lively but I think they mostly represent the times in my life. Some are very somber and or dark. No wonder I enjoy card making. I think it may be the best form of therapy! No matter what the mood I always feel better after I make some cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

You know this is a very thought provoking question. I never thought about this before. But bells and whistles did go off in my heard if I think about it. I would say my cards definitely reflect me. I always wear black slacks/pants as my base. A black card base is my favorite. Now on to the good part. I layer my clothing. I either wear a tank top or tee with a little jacket or crochet sweater or shrug on top of that.(In cards its my die cuts and punches over designer paper) The colors are always bright and lively like I chose to go with my black card base...lol I accent my jacket with a brooch mostly, I wear bracelets, a couple rings, and earrings. On my feet I have shoes with bling. (My cards are all accessorized with flowers (like brooches and jewelry) stickles, pearls or rhinestones (the bling) and lots of layers like my clothing choices. Ahhh this is nuts!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

CONVERSELY, do you ever look at someone's gallery and get a general sense of their style then see a picture of them and it's like TOTALLY OPPOSITE of what you thought they would look like??? That happens to me a lot too..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2012, 04:06 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Love this topic! I feel like my cards reflect the mood I'm in when I make them sometimes. My style tends to be more on the CAS side but occasionally I like to create cards with lots of layers and embellishments. I love high contrast and bright colors but I also like warm earthy colors. The style and color just depends on the theme of the card I'm making and not so much my personality. That being said, I tend to be the organized uncluttered type and most of my cards reflect a structured and simple approach.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2012, 05:10 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
CONVERSELY, do you ever look at someone's gallery and get a general sense of their style then see a picture of them and it's like TOTALLY OPPOSITE of what you thought they would look like??? That happens to me a lot too..
LOL! I have one for you (and I have forgotten who it was) but I read many posts by a stamper here and clicked the link to her blog and it was completely opposite to what I had imagined!!!
Reply With Quote Likes