Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-23-2012, 05:10 AM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 802 Likes on 326 Posts
Default Stampin' Up Database

A good friend of mine is an SU Demo too and wants some way to keep up with all her stamps. I think a database would be a good way to handle this. A spread sheet is just a flat representation of organized lists, but information in a database can be sorted by, stamp subject, hostess sets, retired sets, or by any other info that is in the database. That's what I think would be most helpful. If you're looking for floral stamps or sentiments, then you could direct the database to list all sets containing flowers or sentiments.

I've been watching video tutorials on Microsoft Access since it's been a while since I've used a database.

I am THINKING :confused: that I can create a database for all the SU stamps. If I can get it to work on the computer the way it does in my head then it would have the general info like stamp set name, price catalog number etc. and whether it was a hostess, sale-a-bration as well as the year (IB&C 2012-2013). Most importantly:
(1) there would be some general categories to indicate what's in the stamp set. For example; animals, sentiments and flowers could all be found in one stamp set. In a database, you could then sort by sentiments and pull up all the sets that contain sents. (must be able to select more than one)
(2) An illustration of the stamps (Microsoft Access appears to support bitmap files instead of jpegs which are much smaller.)

I thought I could sell this to a few demos I know and earn some money to buy supplies with. Right now I'm struggling with how to include the categories of stamp subjects for sorting and including all those images wtihout over-loading the file size of the database.

Is this idea crazy?
Can anyone offer advise on how to include more than one category of subjects in a stamp set so that you sort by that subject?

Last edited by sc magnolia; 06-23-2012 at 05:20 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2012, 07:05 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

It's a great idea, just way more work than I'd want to go thru

However, the company I used to work for used accounting/inventory software that was based on Access, and the way they allowed multiple entries for a field was that we could assign a letter to each category and enter multiple letters in the category field. So, you could have up to 26 categories (letters A-Z) and make it so that field can hold up to 26 letters. You might need commas between the letters, I don't remember.) Then, when you're doing your query on that field, you just enter the letter(s) of the category that you're looking for. So it would give you the ability to search for sentiment stamps that were also birthday stamps. Which would be cool.

What I would for images to keep the database from being overloaded is scan the images into a separate file, and in your database, include just the link to the file. That way when you are sorting and querying, you are working with only the links and not the whole image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's another idea, using Excel.

The newer versions of Excel include some pretty decent database functions using filters. You could just pick which categories you want to use - Animal, Floral, Sentiment, Kids, Birthday, etc. and have a column for each that you would just put an "X" in if the category applied to that set. Then you could use the filters to pull up only sentiments and once the sentiments are on the screen, further filter those by birthday and you'd have only birthday sentiments.

This just reflects my preference for Excel, though - we use it at work A LOT and even those who aren't particularly computer geeky are able to navigate it pretty handily once the spreadsheets are set up.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
KittyD35 (06-18-2023)
Old 06-23-2012, 07:24 AM   #4  

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
It's a great idea, just way more work than I'd want to go thru

However, the company I used to work for used accounting/inventory software that was based on Access, and the way they allowed multiple entries for a field was that we could assign a letter to each category and enter multiple letters in the category field. So, you could have up to 26 categories (letters A-Z) and make it so that field can hold up to 26 letters. You might need commas between the letters, I don't remember.) Then, when you're doing your query on that field, you just enter the letter(s) of the category that you're looking for. So it would give you the ability to search for sentiment stamps that were also birthday stamps. Which would be cool.

What I would for images to keep the database from being overloaded is scan the images into a separate file, and in your database, include just the link to the file. That way when you are sorting and querying, you are working with only the links and not the whole image.

It may end up being just that, but I'm retired so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I think linking the images would be the answer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2012, 07:31 AM   #5  

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
Here's another idea, using Excel.

The newer versions of Excel include some pretty decent database functions using filters. You could just pick which categories you want to use - Animal, Floral, Sentiment, Kids, Birthday, etc. and have a column for each that you would just put an "X" in if the category applied to that set. Then you could use the filters to pull up only sentiments and once the sentiments are on the screen, further filter those by birthday and you'd have only birthday sentiments.

This just reflects my preference for Excel, though - we use it at work A LOT and even those who aren't particularly computer geeky are able to navigate it pretty handily once the spreadsheets are set up.
I'm so GLAD you mentioned this!! I vaguely remember that being mentioned in an after school inservice when we were all so tired and stressed from teaching all day we were not capable of absorbing a whole lot! Using Excel would be much more user friendly I think. I certainly know how to use it much better. When I was teaching I used it all the time and even taught my 5th graders how to develop them too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a HUGE fan of Cat's Inventory file.
She emails free updates and it's 100% worth the cost and is Excel based...just in case you don't want to start one from scratch!

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 08-08-2019 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: disabled inappropriate link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I simply bought an Inventory Program for rubber stamping...$29.00...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

With all the hours and hours and hours and hours that it would take to build and populate either a database or excel spreadsheet, I would pay Cat the 9.95 for having it all done...AND never having to enter additions for as long as she does them. My time is worth more than 10 cents an hour. ;)
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

Cat does a GREAT job! And she'll even transfer your data for you, if you've entered any! I keep mine just for reference, but I should check off the stamp sets that I own - HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS of them! :-)
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

Location: Where the Kookaburra's sit in the old gum tree's...
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorseView Post
Can you share what program this is and where you bought it? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #11  

Thanks y'all! I sure appreciate your responses and it will surely help others to know where to get one

My son told me it was a way bigger project than I thought. I should have known someone had already done this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
A good friend of mine is an SU Demo too and wants some way to keep up with all her stamps. I think a database would be a good way to handle this. A spread sheet is just a flat representation of organized lists, but information in a database can be sorted by, stamp subject, hostess sets, retired sets, or by any other info that is in the database. That's what I think would be most helpful. If you're looking for floral stamps or sentiments, then you could direct the database to list all sets containing flowers or sentiments.

I've been watching video tutorials on Microsoft Access since it's been a while since I've used a database.

I am THINKING :confused: that I can create a database for all the SU stamps. If I can get it to work on the computer the way it does in my head then it would have the general info like stamp set name, price catalog number etc. and whether it was a hostess, sale-a-bration as well as the year (IB&C 2012-2013). Most importantly:
(1) there would be some general categories to indicate what's in the stamp set. For example; animals, sentiments and flowers could all be found in one stamp set. In a database, you could then sort by sentiments and pull up all the sets that contain sents. (must be able to select more than one)
(2) An illustration of the stamps (Microsoft Access appears to support bitmap files instead of jpegs which are much smaller.)

I thought I could sell this to a few demos I know and earn some money to buy supplies with. Right now I'm struggling with how to include the categories of stamp subjects for sorting and including all those images wtihout over-loading the file size of the database.

Is this idea crazy?
Can anyone offer advise on how to include more than one category of subjects in a stamp set so that you sort by that subject?
I used to design databases. How you would do this would be to create a series of fields that were T/F or Y/N fields. So if a set were floral, you would put a T for true or Y for Yes in the field. If it were also a set that contained sentiments you would put a T in the field for sentiments. If these values were not true, you would put a F for false or N for No. So if you wanted to sort out a subset of data for sets that had both sentiments and flowers, you would simply sort on those fields for values that were T for true (or Y for Yes).

That said, you would not be able to sell this database with the image files in it without running into copyright issues with SU! You could do the data and not the images.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2012, 06:56 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any special sign up deals going on right now with SU?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dotty...

Get Organized Expressions Craft Software - Rubber Stamping - Project Diary, Craft Supplies Inventory, Swap Lists

LNS-Software...I have been using is since 2005...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2015, 07:14 AM   #15  
Glitter Queen

A bit late to this topic, but there's a program which tracks stamping supplies and projects. Would probably work just as well for scrapbooking too. Not too expensive, plus you get to try it all out for free first. Recommended.

PCIS - Paper Crafters Inventory Software - Endres Reporting Solutions, LLC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2017, 02:07 PM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

Anything come out of all this. I'm looking a way to catalog my SU sentiments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2017, 06:57 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I have Cats database, but haven't heard from her in several years. The Lifetime updates stopped. It was a good deal as far as it went....
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2017, 04:14 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The program Evernote does all these things you are asking for, and in either The Tool & Product section, or it may be the Organization section, you will find many people sharing their Evernote lists they have already compiled.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2017, 10:14 PM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

Default Software for stamps inventory

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorseView Post
Where did you buy it from?
Thanks
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #20  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by staceyliskView Post
I'm a HUGE fan of Cat's Inventory File (I had to remove the hyperlink in order to post this reply).
She emails free updates and it's 100% worth the cost and is Excel based...just in case you don't want to start one from scratch!

Your link opens a very "nasty" page. Not sure what happened but you might want to delete that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2019, 03:04 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessKeleaView Post
Your link opens a very "nasty" page. Not sure what happened but you might want to delete that.
Yea, that was not a great idea to open at work. Yikes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2019, 09:06 PM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by YvettesArtsView Post
Yea, that was not a great idea to open at work. Yikes!
Lol. Sorry about that! Stupid me, I opened it twice! 😞
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2019, 11:00 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Quote:

It's a seven-year old link and there are references in the thread to Cat no longer maintaining it, so it's quite possible that the site address would now be owned by someone else. If the link needs to be deleted, use the * button in the sidebar with the poster's name to report it to one of the forum moderators, and state why.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2019, 11:01 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 243 Likes on 129 Posts

Quote:

I've disabled the link. When a domain is abandoned or left unpaid, the domain name is later available to whoever wants to pay for it. I suspect a new 'Cat' decided to take over. :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2019, 01:02 PM   #25  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post
I've disabled the link. When a domain is abandoned or left unpaid, the domain name is later available to whoever wants to pay for it. I suspect a new 'Cat' decided to take over. :shock:
You are so right! :p Thank you for saving any future unsuspecting visitors to the link!
Reply With Quote Likes