Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-06-2006, 10:20 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat and Stick powder question -

Ok I feel dumb asking this because I used to be a SU demo and should know better!! But is the heat and stick powder that stuff that you do the following with -

Stamp image with something, either pigment or versamark or embossing ink, THEN sprinkle heat and stick powder, THEN heat with embossing gun and THEN add glitter to it? Is that the right way to use it?

ALSO I saw this product in the TAC catty that was a heat and stick ink pad and wondered if that was better to use -

SO in essence 2 questions - 1) do I have the techinique right and 2) am I better off using the heat and stick ink pad - if anyone can answer either question --- I am more than likely going to order one of the two products and probably leaning toward the SU item since I think I have used it in the past but can't remember if that was the way to do it.

I do know I can use two-way zig glue, but for those times when you want the glitter just so, right where the image is, you know, it seems that heat and stick either powder or pad would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 10:55 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

I don't know anything about the heat and stick pad, but I do know that you have the technique down for the heat and stick powder!

The only thing I would add to your list of steps is a brief heat set after applying the glitter.

good luck!

Stampin' Up! demonstrator with a website!

What Can Lightbulb Do For You?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 11:23 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've heard mixed reviews with the ink pad you described. Personally, I like the heat n stick powder and enjoy using it, and yes, heat-set after applying the glitter to "lock" it in, as Geojlc mentioned above.

When you initially heat it, before applying the glitter, do so just til it turns "wet" looking--if you overheat it, it will harden prematurely and nothing will stick to it.

You can use it to apply not only glitter, but flock, foils, micro beads, coffee grounds . . . heh, heh, heh!

OH! And, you can also use your Versamark PEN/marker to if you want to apply Heat N Stick in a precise location, as well. I like it better than the Two Way Glue Pen, as the glue tends to kinda "bubble" with the heat is applied???

Have fun! That stuff is *uber* cool! :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 11:58 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

THanks everyone!

I was leaning toward the SU brand, thanks for confirming my gut feeling!! Now to go get that order together - my SU rep probably thinks I fell over and died because I haven't ordered anything in a while, LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 01:23 PM   #5  
Inking Addict

I love the heat and stick powder. I use it for glitter, for pearl ex, and even for gold leaf.

The craft ink pads are great with heat and stick. this way the ink color shows through when using the microbeads or glitter.
I use it for basically anything I want to stick to a card (except embossing powder).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 02:10 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

OH---one more thing! Sometimes moisture in the air (damp climate) can cause this powder to clump in the jar. You know those sililca gel packs (a.k.a. dessicants) that come in the box when you buy a new pair of shoes?

Stick that thing in the jar to help absorb that moisture. --you may have to divide the powder into 2 separate containers, if you can because the stuff tends to "expand" when you pour it back into the jar? Ask me how I know . . . :rolleyes:

Then, when you use it, remove that silica thing, stir to de-clump, and then use the powder. When you're done and have returned the excess to the jar, put that silica thingy back in there.

They really can help any EP where a damp climate may cause some moisture in the jar?

:grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 08:29 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

Julie, you are AMAZING! I would have NEVER thought of the silica packs! woohoo!

Stampin' Up! demonstrator with a website!

What Can Lightbulb Do For You?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2006, 04:08 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

One trick I was taught about the Heat & Stick powder was to heat it from underneath (heat the bottom of the cardstock). It's supposed to keep it stickier than if you heat the powder directly from the top.

Stampin' Up! Demo...and lovin' it!!!
I'd love for you to check out my blog: http://www.atouchfromtheheart.typepad.com/
http://www.pattichesky.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2006, 02:23 PM   #9  
Commando Peachie

OK, is it supposed to smell that pungent? And, what do you recommend for applying the pearl ex (for those of you who have tried that)? Do you use a paint brush like when you apply it to just versamark? Does the stickiness cause a problem with that? Just tried it for the first time, but I think I was too ambitious (tried to versamark the whole rectangle of white and then pour on the H&S, heat, and then pour on the pearl ex, and the pearl ex just wouldn't spread nicely and got everywhere)...

Lenore (the inexperienced)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2006, 12:43 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

I use a stipple brush to apply the PEx to the sticky embossed image.

Don't forget after applying it, to zap the area again with the heat tool to "lock" in the PEx.

You can use a tissue to buff off the excess PEx that got elsewhere on the card.

And, yes, the odor you refer to is common with this type of EP, no matter what brand.
Reply With Quote Likes