View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 04:42 AM   #7
JanTInk
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Because we are independent demonstrators, that means that, to a certain degree, we get to decide how we want to run our business.

Personally, I give my customers a free catalog. I sometimes give them away free to people who have never bought anything from me, particularly at the end of the year when I have catalogs I want to move out of my house. But each catalog costs us money to buy...the company does not give them to us free, so it's a decision that each demo makes as to whether they feel they can afford to give away catalogs. My personal take is that people will be more likely to buy if they have a catalog in hand and they are more likely to have that catalog if I give it to them for free.

Large exception is mailing them out. It costs $5 to mail a catalog priority mail, so in general, I ask people to pay the cost of shipping one if they are not local and if they have not bought from me before. Now SU! has made it possible for us to mail a single copy for the single price of $5, postage and catalog together. My good online customers all got theirs from me for free since they have been purchasing and I was able to take advantage of this great deal.

Another choice we have to make is what we charge for classes. We pay for the materials we use in classes and we spend a lot of time preparing for them, so it's nice to be paid for our time. I charge for classes, but do in-home workshops free. In-home workshops are like any direct sales event. You are seeing products and trying them with the idea that you will place an order. No one would expect a Pampered Chef demo to come cook people food without anyone ordering from her. That's why I don't charge for workshops. People are coming to buy, they shouldn't be made to pay to hear my sales pitch. Of course, a good demonstrator knows that people buy what they like and want. Our job is to show you the products so that you will like and want them. If we don't do our job properly, that's our fault, not yours.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!