Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamp Pad dilemma

It's not really a dilemma but I'm trying to decide what to do. I have all of the SU inks including retired ones. They are in an old cassette holder on my wall. I'm trying to downsize my craftroom in hopes of filling the room with a baby soon. ;) I've sold tons of stamps and this summer when I'm off, I plan on trying to finish a bunch of unfinished projects and try to use this stuff up.

I'm still undecided on my stamp pads. I know I don't use them all and I wish there was some sort of portable storage for them. I thought about packing them away and keeping out the ones I use the most often. If I needed one of the other colors, I could go dig it out of a box. Has anyone done anything like this? I know I don't need all these colors and I have the markers I could use for ink. Which stamp pads do you think would be the best to keep?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kristi
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have most of the SU stamp pads too. I also have a large supply of CTMH inks. I was going to get rid of most of the CTMH inks. I started keeping a list of which of the CTMH inks I do use. It has come down to two. I'm thinking of getting rid of the rest. I also need the room. If I were you I would try this. It has worked out well for me. Good luck on that baby! What an exciting time of your life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have the Stampin' Up! Color Caddy that I keep my ink pads in and the refills on top. Since I stamp at my kitchen table and not in a permanent space in a craft room, I just keep the caddy on the floor or on the table when I use it or carry it to the dining room if I have people over to stamp.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dumped almost all my full size pads and have gone to Spots, Dew Drops and minis...They take such a small amount of space compared to the full size and then I can keep all the colors!

Now, if Ranger would come out with small pads like the Distress inks, I'd be in hog heaven!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, I put all of them away except for a handful. I kept at least 1 of each color in the rainbow and then some neutrals. They are packed in a storage box in my closet so I can easily get them if I need them. I'm going to see if the ones I picked will be ok. I really need to downsize! LOL

I was telling a friend of mine how much I used to love scrapbooking and crafting back when all I had was a grocery sack of paper and a little box of tools and my paper cutter. Not that I don't have fun anymore I just think when you have too much it overwhelms you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm sort of going through this, I'm finding more and more that I go for the same kinds of thing no matter what I'm doing. I just sold a bunch of MS boarder punches, cricut carts, a cricut machine, I'm just in that place where I'm realizing what I use and I don't want tons and tons of stuff everywhere, I've realized I don't NEED everything
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But soon no more SU spots except for the Getting Started set!

I just called my sister, who is brand new to stamping and was given a Getting Started spot set and told her to order all four color families of the spots now, before she can't anymore.

The spots are so great. I wish they were not discontinuing them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Remember, you can alway buy un-inked spots (gourd supplies sell them) buy the re-inker of your color choice nd make your own! I have been doing this since 2005 with all the new In Colors that come out every catalog turn over!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #9  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorseView Post
Remember, you can alway buy un-inked spots (gourd supplies sell them) buy the re-inker of your color choice nd make your own! I have been doing this since 2005 with all the new In Colors that come out every catalog turn over!
Can you please clarify where you can get the empty spots? Thanks! This is a great idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Gourd Craft Supplies and Tools - Gourd and Craft Supplies, Tools and Accessories

Scroll to the bottom to see the 'ink applicator cubes".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #11  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindykidView Post
Gourd Craft Supplies and Tools - Gourd and Craft Supplies, Tools and Accessories

Scroll to the bottom to see the 'ink applicator cubes".
Thanks! Do you prefer the felt or foam? SU is now moving to foam so maybe their inks will be better with that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

At this point in my stamping, I use memento black and brown and not much else (I get my color from Copic markers). I gave up on StazOn except when I stamp in acetate (again, either black or brown). I used the chalk inks for a while and tried really hard to like them, but they are just so messy and smear easily.

I hope you find something that works for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalScrapperView Post
I was telling a friend of mine how much I used to love scrapbooking and crafting back when all I had was a grocery sack of paper and a little box of tools and my paper cutter. Not that I don't have fun anymore I just think when you have too much it overwhelms you.
I love the reason why you are downsizing. Sending you good wishes you have a beautiful lil' one soon to spoil.

I miss crafting back when I just had a Rubbermaid container and my desk full of my favorite tools. I have downsized quite a bit too. I am going through the same thing with my ink pads. The past couple of years I have been collecting the full size ink pads. I thought I would use them for the kind of artwork I do. What do I do most of the time? I grab my markers to stamp with and make my own ink pads.

I have been doing the same thing kphorse is doing buying spots and using reinkers. I do mine a little differently. I have been buying the Studio G ink spots and ripping out the foam. I use Inkssentials | Cut n' Dry | Stamp Pad Foam | Stamp Pad Felt | Ranger Ink for my pads. I tend to use the felt more than the foam. That is a personal choice. The foam is excellent too especially for those who want to take their own Distress ink colors.

I went the Studio G route because it was more economical for me. I did check into Gourd supplies and they are very economical, especially if you don't have access to Studio G inks.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2012, 03:41 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

brilliant idea here! not sure why I am toting all my big bulky ink pads back and forth to FL each winter! Off I go to order spots!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrzigirlView Post
Thanks! Do you prefer the felt or foam? SU is now moving to foam so maybe their inks will be better with that?
The felt is for dye ink (Classic) and the foam is for pigment ink (Craft). When I read about SU changing the dye pad to foam I put some Classic ink on one of the empty foam cubes I'd gotten from the gourd place and it was a disaster. They are not even close to the right density for dye ink. So stick to what is recommended;

felt -> dye and foam->pigment
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

The felt pads are for Classic inks, Memento, Ranger type inks...The foam pads are for Craft inks, Brilliance, VeraMagic, ColorBox Chalks type inks...

I usually buy mine from Welburn Gourd Farm, Inc. - Home Page

Hugs - RED

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the issue is that all foam is not equal. SU says it will be switching to a "firm foam" pad instead of felt. I take that to mean that the foam will not be the same as that used for the craft pad/pigment ink.

I will be very curious to see what these new classic pads are like.
Reply With Quote Likes